Author Topic: A Call to War!  (Read 128801 times)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
A Call to War!
« on: 29 August 2015, 11:35:31 »
Welcome to A Call to War, a CGL staff and volunteer Alpha Strike force-building odyssey!  Over the next four months, several volunteer CGL representatives will be painting a new force for Alpha Strike.  They will be using the new Force Building Mechanics from the Alpha Strike Companion, but other than that, they have been left up to their own devices as to what force they create and what faction the chose to represent!

You will find below links to their threads as they work through this journey.  They will be discussing how they built the force, aspects of the force building process, it’s benefits and limitations, information on their chosen faction, painting tips for their force, and of course updates as they paint their way through.

We invite you to join along and create you own Alpha Strike force!  Here are the guidelines that our fearless leaders have used:

• Create a force between 360-400 points
  • Use the Force Building Rules from Alpha Strike Companion
  • Paint roughly 100 points a month
  • Post your progress

We hope that you will participate with us, and in January, we will all have some amazing forces to pit against our friends and enemies.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask here. 

Keep your PPC’s hot; I can’t wait to see what the community cooks up!

CGL Volunteers
Savage Coyote -Clan Sea Fox Tiburon Khanate
cavingjan - Clan Coyote Epsilon Galaxy
Scotty - Free Worlds League 1st Covenant Guards
wantec - Clan Wolf Blue Keshik
worktroll - Capellan Confederation 4th Tau Ceti Rangers
Weirdo - Star League Defense Force 146th Dragoon Regiment
nckestel - Mercenary 21st Centauri Lancers
God and Davion - Society/Dark Caste El Jaguar
psycho - Capellan Confederation 3rd Sian Dragoons
NeonKnight Mercenary Force Neon's Knights
« Last Edit: 10 September 2015, 13:34:16 by Savage Coyote »

Sagan

• Sergeant
Re: A Call to War!
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2015, 20:12:33 »
Sounds fun

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2015, 21:24:48 »
I'm in.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2015, 08:58:37 »
Two questions for you:
1) Do we modify PV for skills? 
2) What's an Arctic Wolf B?  :)

I'm working on another project that relates closely to this.  No promises yet, but I'm thinking about it.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2015, 09:51:11 »
Arctic Wolf II B is from TRO 3085 Supplemental.  Clan Wolf-in-Exile's second attempt at an Arctic Wolf Omni!  Oh, nm.  You were noting the lack of "II".  Fixed now!

As for the modified PV, no, I was following the general format of the original sample companies that left all units at skill 4.  If you would like to instead create a modified PV-for-skill force, that would be fine!
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 09:53:36 by Savage Coyote »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2015, 09:53:27 »
Arctic Wolf II B is from TRO 3085 Supplemental.  Clan Wolf-in-Exile's second attempt at an Arctic Wolf Omni!
I should have specified... you have it listed as the Arctic Wolf B.  I was unsure as the Arctic Wolf has the same PV.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2015, 22:42:25 »
I'm very tempted...  can I use my unit Litany Against Fear if I construct them using the official rules?

I already painted them but if the Lances need to be full (some are 3 units because of reasons...) I can add to them.

Nevermind, realized that the fun is reserved for the battlemasters...
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 22:49:10 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Bongfu

• Warrant Officer
  • Commander of the Crater Cats
    • North Texas Battletech
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2015, 01:38:38 »
Com Guards reporting in for painting detail.
North Texas Battletech

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2015, 05:23:51 »
I'm very tempted...  can I use my unit Litany Against Fear if I construct them using the official rules?

I already painted them but if the Lances need to be full (some are 3 units because of reasons...) I can add to them.

Nevermind, realized that the fun is reserved for the battlemasters...

"We invite you to join along and create you own Alpha Strike force!  Here are the guidelines that our fearless leaders have used:"

Please join in!  I've enjoyed reading about your forces previously :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2015, 07:41:20 »
"We invite you to join along and create you own Alpha Strike force!  Here are the guidelines that our fearless leaders have used:"

Please join in!  I've enjoyed reading about your forces previously :).

Cool!  Thanks!   O0
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2015, 09:48:01 »
Yup, please do participate!!  The more the merrier!  It will show off a huge range of forces and schemes.  Should be very cool!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2015, 13:27:34 »
If one were to do this, do I have to limit myself to 100 points per month? Or, if I felt ambitious, could I finish it all in a month?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2015, 13:34:40 »
Do what you want. Some folks have used forces they already painted, but reorganized them to the AS Companion rules and talked about why they chose what they did.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2015, 13:37:01 »
Do what you want. Some folks have used forces they already painted, but reorganized them to the AS Companion rules and talked about why they chose what they did.

Yep.  JUST did this.

I am also considering a Clan Ghost Bear unit.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2015, 14:58:28 »
The staff ones are trying to make sure we are painting as we go. One thing we are hoping to show is that anybody can complete an army in a four month people with their busy schedules. There are several of us with young kids that we are working around. Others have busy work or school schedules. Just one of the many things we wish to show besides the force building rules in ASC.

I'm hoping to have a weekly update. I'm sure I'll have several that are no progress due to MUL work, product development, work interferences, or the kids are sick/teething.)

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2015, 20:53:08 »
Welp, this will kill two birds with one stone, I think. I need to have a scenario ready for next February's FlintCon. So I'm in with at least one force with this. I might get both going. We'll see.

sapperleader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2015, 20:58:52 »
I am in. 

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2015, 05:56:24 »
I'd like to participate if there is room for a mediocre painter like me.  This is great motivation for to  finish up some projects that I've been slow to work on. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2015, 16:51:53 »
Processing...

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
  • Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
    • Krigshammer - Miniatures web log.
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2015, 19:47:42 »
So when you're saying to follow the companion rules for force building, do you just mean choosing a lance type and adding the appropriate number of units depending on what force I'm doing? Because I have some Steiners, Kuritans and Comstar/Blakists I should be doing at some point in the foreseeable future. Level IIs were mentioned in the AS companion, but I think only Lances and Stars would benefit from the special rules? It wasn't quite clear to me, but since Level IIs were not mentioned for the lance types I would assume not.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2015, 20:02:20 »
Level IIs are valid for receiving "Lance" bonuses in the Companion.

Really, what you call it means absolutely nothing, as long as it fits the criteria.  You could call your units "Pointy Horse Poles" and "Self-Sustaining Astronomical Fusion Reactions" and as long as they have the right roles, damage, size, or other criteria, they still get the bonuses.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2015, 20:11:46 »
So when you're saying to follow the companion rules for force building, do you just mean choosing a lance type and adding the appropriate number of units depending on what force I'm doing? Because I have some Steiners, Kuritans and Comstar/Blakists I should be doing at some point in the foreseeable future. Level IIs were mentioned in the AS companion, but I think only Lances and Stars would benefit from the special rules? It wasn't quite clear to me, but since Level IIs were not mentioned for the lance types I would assume not.
To make the reading a little easier, Alpha Strike Companion only refers to Lances in the descriptions of the Ground Formations. You can use a Star (5 units) or a Level II/Reinforced Lance (6 units), you just have to be careful about the requirements. Some of the requirements say "2 units" and some say "50%". For a Lance those are the same, but for a Star or Level II 50% means 3 units. Likewise, some say "3 units" and some say "75%". In a Lance those are the same, but in a Star it means 4 units and in a Level II it means 5 units.

The "Formation Requirements" section on pg 149 describes this a little better I think.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2015, 20:27:22 »
Alright, I just can't quite recall the exact wording. I was under the impression that I 'had' to use 4 units per lance OR 5 per nova. I'll have a closer look at it once I get the time.

Anyway, the force should conform to the limitations of the described lance types, correct? How many units and what kind is irrelevant? It seemed to me like the army building in AS was fairly loose, so I was confused when the thread said to follow the "Force Building Rules", but I don't seem to recall there being any requirements set in stone like for example Warmachine (caster and jacks) or Warhammer (commander and troops).

If I can literally do whatever I bloody feel like I should probably look into doing up some of these space-Japanese... The Akuma and Sunder are calling to me.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2015, 20:37:29 »
Just go with it, man.  I'm not very familiar with the rules and I already made some boo-boos.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2015, 21:13:50 »
We are trying to showcase the lance/star abilities that you get when building specific formations. There are a lot of other things we are showing too but for your question, we are specifically showing how things get synergy and gain abilities.

Otherwise these would just be plain painting blogs.

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2015, 21:35:59 »
Right, makes sense. Faction-themed Alpha Strike armies with focus on the Lance bonuses and possible synergies, to showcase the system. That's what I was wondering, because "plain painting blogs" sounded kind of pointless.

I already primed up some plastics for a Kuritan force, and I have multiple metals being polished. I had Alpha Strike in mind, but not necessarily the formations from the AS Companion, though they can probably be adapted to work.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #27 on: 02 September 2015, 07:48:51 »
Just go with it, man.  I'm not very familiar with the rules and I already made some boo-boos.

And we're here to help and can help get everything arranged! Well, us and the MUL!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 02 September 2015, 09:25:37 »
It's awesome how many people are getting into this. Maybe this should be a regular thing.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #29 on: 02 September 2015, 09:38:27 »
It's awesome how many people are getting into this. Maybe this should be a regular thing.

Agreed.  It's cool seeing how the rules work too.