Author Topic: A Call to War! Blue Falcon Mercenary Company (COMPLETED 10/24)  (Read 11114 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Hi! I'm not a Catalyst employee or representative, but I used to be, and I've decided to butt my way in. YOU CAN'T STOP ME. I'll be doing up 360 375 points of a non-canon mercenary unit from the early Jihad period. No pictures yet, but they will be coming within less than 24 hours.

Force composition is going to be a bit unusual. While I am following the Alpha Strike Force Creation rules, I've decided to do up my entries as a battalion or regimental command lance, playing around more with flavor than tactical effectiveness. Think of this force as an OPFOR in a headhunting scenario. Edit: With the removal of the vehicle and infantry lances, and the addition of the Heavy Cavalry lance, this is now a much more credible and effective fighting force.

Command Lance (Command unit gets Tactical Genius SPA, may choose a bonus SPA for two units)
BattleMaster BLR-4S (44 points, designated commander)
Cyclops CP-11-B (50 points)
Centurion CN9-D4D (28 points)
JagerMech JM7-G (32 points)

Light Recon Lance (All units get Forward Observer SPA and up to three get either Eagle Eyes or Maneuvering Ace SPAs)
Firestarter FS9-S2 (23 points)
Ostscout OTT-9S (20 points)
Raven RVN-SS (27 points) Edit: Oops, this is a Striker, not a Scout.
Scarabus SCB-9T (21 points)

Heavy Cavalry Lance (75% of the units get Speed Demon SPA)
Cataphract CTF-3D (32 points)
Catapult CPLT-C4C (37 points)
Hatchetman HCT-6D (30 points)
Quickdraw QKD-5M (31 points)

Fire Support Lance (Up to two units each turn may use Oblique Attacker SPA)
Goblin II IFV (25 points)
Goblin II IFV (25 points)
Badger C (15 points)
Badger Prime (19 points)

Support Lance (May mimic SPAs from other lances)
Heavy LRM Infantry Platoon (12 points)
Heavy LRM Infantry Platoon (12 points)
Foot Ballistic Infantry Platoon (4 points)
Sniper Infantry Squad (3 points)

I'll be posting more about the unit and my choices, along with photos, later.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2015, 14:50:18 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A Call to War! Former 2nd FedCom turned Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2015, 18:32:43 »
Ooh, I love the use of the Support Lance for infantry :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2015, 18:48:28 »
Ooh, I love the use of the Support Lance for infantry :).

It makes sense, as these are the HQ grunts under the direct command of the CO. They're not going to have a real specialty, as most of the time they're doing work instead of training, but will instead follow whatever orders the CO gives them. The special rules between Command and Support lances, and the large number of bonus SPAs available, should make the gropos a nasty surprise for anyone underestimating them.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2015, 19:28:42 »
I honestly never even considered using conventional infantry in a Companion-organized group.  Though, one minor terminology thing I'd change is to call it a "Company" simply because it's four platoons of infantry.  It's a "Lance" by the Companion's rules, but in real terms it's a company.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2015, 19:40:17 »
I honestly never even considered using conventional infantry in a Companion-organized group.  Though, one minor terminology thing I'd change is to call it a "Company" simply because it's four platoons of infantry.  It's a "Lance" by the Companion's rules, but in real terms it's a company.

Yup, but the rules are clear: four elements makes up a "lance." Even though it's a full company of crunchies.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2015, 19:45:32 »
Oh, no argument there.  It's just semantics and terminology that I'd use differently. :)  In similar fashion, it's why I call battle armor and conventional vehicle "Lances" platoons, and if I were to build something Marian I'd be calling them Centuries (instead of either Lances or Stars).

It's one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to Combat Manuals.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 19:54:09 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2015, 20:49:28 »
They are all formations.  It has to be at least three (or no bonus abilities).  That's all the rules care about as far as defining a formation.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2015, 10:31:41 »
It may be a subject for future errata, but as it stands it's completely legal.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2015, 12:56:02 »
Background: Prior to the Civil War, the FedCom Corps had hard choices to make when Katherine Steiner-Davion sundered their realm. An even half of the regimental combat teams stayed with the Federated Commonwealth, and the rest joined the Lyran Alliance. Even among those who defected, there was still dissension. This mercenary unit is the product of those times.

When the 2nd FedCom RCT joined the Lyran Alliance, the commander of its third battalion decided to instead strike out on his own. He was very pleased when the rest of his HQ company joined him. In the confusion of the day, they even managed to abscond with two DropShips. Selling the extra 'Ship on the open market gave the fledgling unit much-needed capital, and they managed to ride out the Civil War without seeing much fighting. In mid-3067, as the war was coming to a close, the unit commander dipped into their substantial nest egg and purchased several upgraded 'Mechs for his command company, along with proper IFVs for the infantry. Now the combined arms battalion is looking for a new contract, and have been contacted by a mysterious man who calls himself Mr. Askai...

Though relatively rare among mercenaries, this command company is fairly typical of those found in House forces throughout the Inner Sphere. The Colonel himself takes to the field in a fully-updated BattleMaster, a favorite among commanders for its heavy armor, well-balanced weapons load, and excellent communications system. His XO pilots a Cyclops, famed for its battle computer, though this model lacks the detachable command module. Filling out the lance are a JagerMech, to protect against air attacks and to lend its autocannons to direct fire, and a Centurion used by the CO's aide.

The Light Recon Lance similarly fields several specialized machines. The lance commander pilots a Raven, which mixes unusually heavy firepower for such a light 'Mech with an array of advanced electronics (where he managed to get his hands on one of George Hasek's salvaged models, he's not saying). A Vicore-model Ostscout, with its famed terrain mapping computer, operates alongside. Acting as a bodyguard is a Scarabus; these are unusual outside the arenas of Solaris, but its hatchet is a welcome addition to the lance. Finally, a Firestarter provides close support and incendiary ability.

Attached to this short company is a full company of foot infantry. While they normally handle the myriad of administrative tasks involved with running a mercenary battalion, they often take to the field. First and Second Platoons are equipped with man-portable LRMs, giving these units a range and punch that often surprises opponents. Third Platoon is organized as a standard rifle unit, and provides site security. The company also features a seven-man sniper squad; though of limited use in open battle, these marksmen usually engage in deep recon and headhunting missions. A platoon of upgraded Goblin IFVs and older Badger OmniVehicles provides transportation and supporting fire.

(Pictures very soon!)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2015, 13:24:23 »
First picture! Yes, part of why I chose what I did was to use the new plastics as much as possible. The Scarabus and tanks I decided to buy fresh, so those are still on their way, along with proper hex bases for everyone.

Also, this is just a quick shot from my cellphone. Later pictures will be taken with my proper DSLR.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2015, 18:38:42 »
Why the Badger C?

(And tagged ;) )
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2015, 18:42:29 »
Why the Badger C?
Likely Badger alt. config C.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2015, 20:15:02 »
Yup, Badger version C, not Badger Clan. I needed it for the LRMs, to allow the IFV lance to qualify for Fire Support.

Painting has commenced! I'm still working on the prototype paint scheme, and need to wait for my camera battery to charge, but I'll have something posted really soon.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2015, 07:41:58 »
First mini done! What a feeling. It's been probably ten years since I last painted. This is the latest Intro Boxed Set JagerMech, standing in for a JM7-G. I decided to stick with the canon FedCom Corps paint scheme; obviously the unit is holding out hope that, after the Civil War, the two halves of the former FedCom can reconcile.

Well, we can't always get what we want.

This is about the simplest way to paint ever:

1. Clean the miniature.
2. Base coat of Citadel Macragge Blue. I skipped a primer coat, as in my experience Citadel paints don't really need it on cleaned plastic.
3. Details with Leadbelcher and Balthasar Gold. I kept these to a minimum, to compliment the deep blue scheme rather than distract from it.
4. Wash all over with Agrax Earthshade. I was careful to not let it pool too much, and reapplied it to areas that were looking thin as I went along.
5. Dry brush starting with pure Macragge Blue, then again with a bit of white added.
6. Final detail, painting the cockpit with Mephiston Red.
7. A quick coat of Waaagh! Flesh for the base, as it'll be trimmed later for mounting in a proper hex base.

I think the final result is solid for tabletop play.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2015, 10:56:16 »
Not bad for being off the horse for 10 years.  hopefully the grove all comes back.  The Jagermech is great start

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2015, 22:27:53 »
Oh God, has it been over a week already since my last post?

Progress update: The Command Lance is actually almost done, I just need to finish the trim and cockpits. I received a big shipment of Proxie Models hex bases - $4.50 for 32, plus shipping! - so I've added ground scatter and flock to my shopping list. I'm going to try something "clever" with my basing method...

I've decided I'm going to skip the Recon Lance for now and get right into painting the infantry. My method will be to paint them on the strips, then cut and glue them to the bases, to get a more varied look for each "stand." Each will have just seven troopers on it, because there's no way I'm fitting 28 of those guys on a single base.

Even with my fairly slow rate of progress, I fully expect to be done with this unit by mid-October, if not sooner. If that happens, I may attempt to "lap the competition" and do a second Call to War force!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2015, 18:06:28 »
I received a big shipment of Proxie Models hex bases - $4.50 for 32, plus shipping!

I'm going to have to look at them - RPUK does plastic bases at 10 for about $2 US, and shipping is much cheaper from the US, but that's looking competitive.

I got some freebie metal bases with a recent IWM order (thank'ee, you know who you are!) which I'm using for my ACTW 'Mechs, but the vees & BA are going plastic hexbase.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2015, 20:25:22 »
I swear, I'm making progress! If I could find the damned patch cable for my DSLR, I could even show you!

First lance is done, painted, detailed, and based. They're looking...okay. Fine for the tabletop, but I really need to get back in practice. Second lance is assembled. The support lance and infantry company are all together. The vehicles are ready to be painted, but I decided to tackle the infantry first.

Holy crap, why did I take infantry? These aging eyes are being brutalized by trying to paint such wee figures.

But now that I have the routine down and all the materials I need, the unit should be done in the next week-ish. I have decided that I will do another A Call to War force to expand on this unit, along with some unit history, etc. For now...this is the best I've got. I've done more detailing on a couple of the machines and based them since.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2015, 05:50:39 »
...found my camera cable! Pics later today RIGHT FREAKING NOW!

Command lance, ready for action! And since the rules of A Call to War are 100 pts/month, and this is about 150, I'm ahead of the game! Yeah!
« Last Edit: 26 September 2015, 06:02:13 by ColBosch »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2015, 07:55:11 »
Those look great  :)

I really like the bases, too.  Well done.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2015, 10:55:26 »
Wow. Love how that Battlemaster is looking. Great stuff.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2015, 11:36:25 »
Yup. Those do look good.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2015, 15:25:07 »
Joining the chorus - looking great! The first pic, yup, I was trying to think of a nice way to say "MORE LIGHT!!" ;)

Small suggestion for future photos - angle the minis about 30 degrees off dead on. Shows more details (eg. the Centurion suffers because it's all pointing directly at the camera). Try to the left, try to the right, then post the best.

W.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #23 on: 26 September 2015, 18:08:53 »
Joining the chorus - looking great! The first pic, yup, I was trying to think of a nice way to say "MORE LIGHT!!" ;)

Small suggestion for future photos - angle the minis about 30 degrees off dead on. Shows more details (eg. the Centurion suffers because it's all pointing directly at the camera). Try to the left, try to the right, then post the best.

Thanks, will do! I'm also looking to build up a lightbox, once I clear up some space for it. I swear, 90% of my personal living area is my hobbies...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #24 on: 03 October 2015, 18:57:02 »
Quick update: so no real progress this week, as I decided to spring for a spray can of Macragge Blue. I did up two infantrymen before my eyes said "nope," so I'm waiting on the spray to arrive. Living in Chicago means I have to have spray paint shipped in, can't buy it locally. Since undercoating was the step that was taking me the longest, I should have the rest of the unit finished quickly after it gets here.

While I still can't think of a good name for the unit in general, I have decided that they will be a mercenary command force. Literally, people will hire these guys to help coordinate large numbers of smaller mercenary outfits. Not only is this a neat little niche, it'll also allow me more freedom to paint up small numbers of other miniatures and still use them in the same force. I've already got some ideas for "expansion" forces.

Zeta Remnant - A lance of 3030s-vintage assault 'Mechs, including two Dragoons designs. They date from before the scouring of Outreach, but their background is unknown. Painted black and red on the upper torsos, but use blue and gold on the legs. The Colonel keeps a close eye on these guys, but while their machine may be old, their skills are excellent.

Hellfighters - A reinforced armored company, mostly heavy tanks with a lance of scouts and a pair of Long Tom artillery vehicles. This unit is made up of New Capetown ex-pats (with some second-generation emigres) who fled its "neo-Apartheid" regime before the coming of the Clans. Most of their equipment is older, but they do have a pair of Myrmidon tanks. They use appropriate camouflage, but have painted the sides of their vehicles blue with gold "invasion" chevrons to prevent friendly fire.

Les Chevaliers - A mixed lance of advanced gladiatorial BattleMechs. These four friends decided to take their customized machines into the mercenary market, feeling it to be safer after the Solaris riots of the 3060s. (They're proven right, as it turns out.) Each 'Mech is painted a different, gaudy scheme. The Colonel sometimes breaks the lance down to add these MechWarriors' unique skills and abilities to other units, creating temporary "Star" formations. As former gladiators, the members of this unit can quickly adapt to whatever role they're asked to perform.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 03 October 2015, 21:05:27 »
Quick update: so no real progress this week, as I decided to spring for a spray can of Macragge Blue. I did up two infantrymen before my eyes said "nope," so I'm waiting on the spray to arrive. Living in Chicago means I have to have spray paint shipped in, can't buy it locally. Since undercoating was the step that was taking me the longest, I should have the rest of the unit finished quickly after it gets here.
:o Wait, what? Not trying to go into Rule 4 territory, but is that some kind of city-wide law about no spray paint? If so, I didn't realize that was the case anywhere.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 03 October 2015, 21:27:42 »
Probably a law to combat rampant wall art graffiti. Just a guess anyway.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #27 on: 03 October 2015, 22:06:13 »
:o Wait, what? Not trying to go into Rule 4 territory, but is that some kind of city-wide law about no spray paint? If so, I didn't realize that was the case anywhere.

Yep. No spray paint.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 04 October 2015, 01:35:45 »
Also, due to a couple of surprise "second chance offers," the Hellfighters are getting some older vehicles.

Much older.

Many of you won't even recognize them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 04 October 2015, 02:09:20 »
BD?