Author Topic: Does RCN stack with SPAs and Lance Formation?  (Read 1418 times)

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
Does RCN stack with SPAs and Lance Formation?
« on: 24 April 2017, 11:54:38 »
Okay, dumb question here, but does the RCN ability stack with SPAs and Lance Formations?

We had a situation arise in conversation where you have a lance of for Hermes HER-3S mechs (each with RCN) were put into a Light Recon Lance and received the Eagle Eyes skill for everyone.  So each mech essentially got RCN twice.

So does each mech count as RCN x 2 for a total of 16 Battlefield Intelligence points?  That seems broken, but I cannot find where it says we cannot stack said properties and skills.

If you can give me a page number that says "No it doesn't work that way", I would appreciate it.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Does RCN stack with SPAs and Lance Formation?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2017, 12:13:56 »
Okay, dumb question here, but does the RCN ability stack with SPAs and Lance Formations?

We had a situation arise in conversation where you have a lance of for Hermes HER-3S mechs (each with RCN) were put into a Light Recon Lance and received the Eagle Eyes skill for everyone.  So each mech essentially got RCN twice.

So does each mech count as RCN x 2 for a total of 16 Battlefield Intelligence points?  That seems broken, but I cannot find where it says we cannot stack said properties and skills.

If you can give me a page number that says "No it doesn't work that way", I would appreciate it.

Can you point to a page that says you can have two copies of the same SPA?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2017, 12:25:13 »
Special Abilities, like RCN, you either have or don't have.  A unit can't have it twice.  Values can be increased or decreased (SRM1/1 versus SRM2/2), but RCN doesn't have a value.  You either have RCN or you don't. 
Battefield Intelligence Rating Table says "each ground unit with the RCN special ability".  Even if you could give a ground unit RCN twice, for BI you still wouldn't have changed the number of ground units with the RCN special ability.
But BI is written that way because RCN is a toggle, yes or no, not a rating like SRM.  It is written that way because you can't have RCN twice on one unit.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2017, 14:55:16 »
Special Abilities, like RCN, you either have or don't have.  A unit can't have it twice.  Values can be increased or decreased (SRM1/1 versus SRM2/2), but RCN doesn't have a value.  You either have RCN or you don't. 
Battefield Intelligence Rating Table says "each ground unit with the RCN special ability".  Even if you could give a ground unit RCN twice, for BI you still wouldn't have changed the number of ground units with the RCN special ability.
But BI is written that way because RCN is a toggle, yes or no, not a rating like SRM.  It is written that way because you can't have RCN twice on one unit.

And that is the angle I needed for my brain to work!  Thank you sir!  Page 150 of the Alpha Strike Companion also states abilities to not stack.  I will work on my reading comprehension.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2017, 15:53:50 »
And that is the angle I needed for my brain to work!  Thank you sir!  Page 150 of the Alpha Strike Companion also states abilities to not stack.  I will work on my reading comprehension.

No problem.  It's one of those that made sense to me, but I always have to go check what it actually says.  And this is one where it's more of seeing how it works in various sections, rather than something that flat out states it, so I definitely had to check. Especially when something comes along later to add to what was there before (Companion to Rulebook).  The rulebook couldn't anticipate what the Companion would do...
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets