Author Topic: Re: DROP POD SEQUENCE INITIATED…THREE, TWO, ONE! (The announcements, finally)  (Read 51785 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Question about IO: which ruleset is designed to be used in conjunction with the planetary maps from the Turning Points PDFs?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Question about IO: which ruleset is designed to be used in conjunction with the planetary maps from the Turning Points PDFs?

ACS

BirdofPrey

• Major
That loophole they thought they had was to use the original art.
This us new art.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I know that there are some aesthetic changes being done to the old unseen...

Stop right there. These are not the Unseen, nor just the Unseen with the "legally-mandated" six changes. These are new designs that share some thematic elements or general outlines with the old art. These have been deliberately designed to not only evoke the feel of the Unseen without stepping on anyone else's toes, but to appeal to a modern audience.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Stop right there. These are not the Unseen, nor just the Unseen with the "legally-mandated" six changes. These are new designs that share some thematic elements or general outlines with the old art. These have been deliberately designed to not only evoke the feel of the Unseen without stepping on anyone else's toes, but to appeal to a modern audience.

Hear Hear!

I've played going back to BattleDroids and if this Warhammer is any indication of the quality of the new art I might forget what the originals look like.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Lanothe

• Private

While new to the tabletop game, my first experience with Battletech was sniping the heads off of Battlemasters piloting a Warhammer in the 1989 Mechwarrior PC game. 

I loved that thing so much, I refused to "upgrade" my pilot to a heavier 'mech based on my own stubborn aesthetic preference.

When I decided to get into the tabletop game, the first thing I wanted was a Warhammer miniature. But, being completely ignorant of the Unseen issues, I was confused by what I was seeing being touted as a Warhammer.

My confusion turned to disappointment and sadness as the internet soon revealed all the details and history of the unseen.

Would have been happy with an announcement about the production of any new plastic mini's, but this, this is $&!?$&@ amazing!

Curious about the Campaign Companion as well.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Plus, if you buy the Beta now, you'll get the final PDF for no extra charge, while if you wait the PDF will be $25. The hardcopy will likely be in the $60 range, as it is nearly 400 pages long.
Source please

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
Source please

Quote from: The Link At The Beginning Of The Thread
In order to ensure maximum exposure, Catalyst Game Labs is releasing the PDF at $10 for a limited time. Once a street date for the book is determined (i.e., it’s in our warehouse), Catalyst Game Labs will release the final version of the PDF, with the price returning to the standard $25. Anyone who previously purchased the PDF at $10 will automatically receive a free upgrade to the final PDF.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I think I just had a fangasm in my pants.   All I can say is O-M-G.   So Happy Right Now  [drool]  :'(  [drool]  :'(  :-* :-*
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Basically they're running a similar deal to AToW's release.
Put out the beta for cheap, have people run through it, make their input known, and then when it goes to full release the PDF purchasers get their update to a fully released product.

Overall a decent deal when you think about it.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
WALL O TEXT DUMP

Wait I have a question will there be a pdf available for the novels including the one at the printers right now? I'm assuming yes?
Don't know. I'll find out. Kindle and Nook yes.

In that case, should these ones be called, Clan Invasion Combat Manuals?
No. These will cover a slightly broader period of time, late 3rd SW to early CI. We're still looking at ways to expand that, but these won't simply be the "Clan Invasion" volumes.

Everything's better with Marauders?
Everything.

Although it would be interesting if there was a twist in the tale
You can bet on it.

Ray you have made me a very Happy Camper
We're very glad!

Seriously, this is more personal then just shiny new mechs on the table. This game really did help in the worst times that I have had. Seeing this big piece of the game returning and things progressing is really huge to me.
Glad you feel that way, and that you took my response the right way—went back and read it and the beginning could have been misconstrued but I think "Never say never, say not yet" summed it up well enough.

Basically, how long with the IO Beta PDF be on sale for?
Until the final IO goes on sale, approximately 2 months from now (NOT street date, but print/PDF date)

I'll assume it is okay to start giving feedback when something more than <TBD> is in the IO Beta thread.
Please do. I apologize for the <TBD>, I'll edit that as soon as I'm able.

Also is the final print version of IO going to have the same cover as the few print beta's you guys are selling at Gen Con ??
Hmmm. Same front cover, minus the giant "BETA" on it. Same back. The spine is plain and says "BETA," the final will have the core book spine artwork.

Still doesn't keep me from being bummed out.
Don't look at this as...subtractive. No one is losing anything. You have your minis, and can use them in the same way you always could. You've got your old books, novels, etc. What's happening here is a gain. New artwork to be used moving forward, instead of empty space and a shrug.

but on the other hand very unhappy to see the force creation rules which were beta tested back in 2012 have been moved to yet another book
I'm sorry about that, and I know it doesn't salve the wound, but the decision was made and announced publicly around a year ago to move those rules to the Campaign Companion. So I know it's news to you, but it's not something we just now sprang on everyone.

You know my solution: make the miniatures edible.
Gummi 'Mechs.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

RAW

• Master Sergeant
If in fact there is a "AS" boxset in the works, will it possibly have a 3050 Invasion map of the inner sphere?

kurtl000

• Warrant Officer
Thank you for answering my question Adrian gideon! Can't wait for the first novel!

Reldn

• Lieutenant
Let's see here... Classic 'Mechs, Combat Manuals, Novels, ilClan, and the possibility that the Alpha Strike box is actually real?! I am extremely giddy and excited right now. :D

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Can we post errata for the IO Beta yet

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Can we post errata for the IO Beta yet

Yes, the thread is open and people have already been posting to it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer

I really REALLY hope that all parties see it as such. I can't deal with heartbreak like 2009 again, but it's not like I didn't see it coming then. I just hope my fears are completely unfounded now.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
I know I'm getting into this late, but...wow. This "major announcement" was beyond anything I had hoped to hear. I was expecting some news about Interstellar Ops or maybe a blurb about the ilClan, but this...man. I can't believe it. There's not a single thing on that announcement list that I'm not pumped about.

Interstellar Ops gearing up to come out. A re-imagining of the classics done with 3D renders, giving us high-quality art no matter the angle. Novels - and the most surprising part, a return of Stackpole. Combat Manuals, which look like they'll be a superb product line worthy of replacing the older full-bodied factional Field Manuals. And an Alpha Strike box set, which - with the inclusion of the new classic redesigns AND clan 'Mech plastics - is guaranteed to be a huge seller amongst older BattleTech fans (with the side effect of exposing them to Alpha Strike, even if they just wanted the minis) and newer ones. And the ilClan, on the upcoming releases list at last.

I can solidly say that I've never been so excited to be a BattleTech fan. To the crew of CGL: congratulations. This must be an exciting and stressful time for you all, but an immensely rewarding one as well. I feel like you're taking the franchise in an amazing direction, one where BattleTech is invigorated and refreshed without having its heart and core taken from it.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
Could there be a new TRO:3025 ("Revised"?) with the new art in the future? I'd buy one for sure.

BirdofPrey

• Major
No. These will cover a slightly broader period of time, late 3rd SW to early CI. We're still looking at ways to expand that, but these won't simply be the "Clan Invasion" volumes.
How do you plan on differentiating books when we start doing the same factions again just in earlier or later time periods?

On a side note, with new art for old mechs, are books such as TRO3039 going to get an update/reprint to insert the new art and is the new art going to be slotted in on the MUL and AS cards available there, or are we still going to be stuck with these crappy silhouettes.

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
Classic designs reinvented.  Novels.  Final core book released.  Dozens of very exciting products on the way.

I am at a loss for words. 

Thank you to the Catalyst team for all of this.  What a wonderful day 😀
Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
*checks IWM site for Warhammer 10th time*  WHY CAN I NOT BUY IT YET!  TAKE MY MONEY!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BirdofPrey

• Major
Classic designs reinvented.  Novels.  Final core book released.  Dozens of very exciting products on the way.
I'm pretty sure the Campaign Companion is also supposed to count as a core rulebook.

FedComGirl

• Major
Oooo Interstellar Operations. [drool]  Must find money!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the single critical slot Chemical/Double Strength Heat Sinks from Tales of the Black Widow Company made it into the book? I ask because even though they keep being mentioned I haven't seen them in any stats/record sheets and they didn't appear in the Pre-Beta. Is it a case of "Oops, we forgot that," or "Sorry, those are gone for good"?

I have mixed feelings about having to Retcon the Unseen. I'm not happy about them being Unseen. But their new art does look nice and is close enough I can pretend they're products of a different factory. So that's good. :)   Forgive me if this has been answered already, but are they going to get a new TRO or are they just for future art and minis?

Thanks! Keep up the great work!  O0  [cheers]

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
You...... MAGNIFICENT people! My brain is blown!

The one thing that kept all those MAD redesigns from looking like a Marauder was the shoulders being above the hips instead of at the same level and in front....

And then I see the artwork. Shoulders a touch higher and IN FRONT! I can totally live with this, especially if it's given anthing like the treatment that the OGM WAMMY got! O0

Brilliant move with the Unseen SEEN `Mechs. It`s going to be nice to have artwork of them in books again.

Brilliant move with the BETA release for IO. Shame about the force creation rules, but I can wait a little longer considering all the stuff you just brought out!

New Novels! Not much more to say about that. O0

So excited right now...

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
I just wanted to chime in to say that I am excited almost beyond words at the cornucopia of new BT that's coming our way. I haven't been this excited for upcoming products in a long time.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Could there be a new TRO:3025 ("Revised"?) with the new art in the future? I'd buy one for sure.
It would make an excellent tie-in with the first succession war product that was listed in the upcoming titles page.

Maybe called something like "TRO: Staples". Considering that the unseen were the core of Battletech and Battledroids since it's inception, I've always considered them the staples of the franchise, even pre-dating the AC/20. It's partly why without them involved in 3025 games, the whole era felt like there was a gap. Furthermore, the unseen were supposed to be the "Mass Produced" Battlemechs that every faction had. Bug mechs out the wazoo, Archers, Riflemen, Marauders and Warhammers, Even lesser-depicted ones like the Crusader and Thunderbolt.

I'd like to coin that phrase: Staples. If these mechs are truly able to make a comeback, they're going to quickly become staples in just about everybody's mech collections, whether they're succession wars players or on the cutting edge.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
With the Mauraduer and the Warhammer back, does that mean some of the other designs are back also. The Clan refits also?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

pheonixstorm

• Major
The image looked like it had more of the reimagined unseen than the super awesome kick ass warhammer (it looks far superior to the Robotech thingie, of which I have two of the unseen minis).

At any rate.. with only a rear shot of the marauder... need a full frontal before I will be impressed. But for now... the Warhammer is da bomb.  :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy: {>{> {>{> {>{>

croaker

• Lieutenant
Question: What will be in TRO 3150 that wasn't in the various XTRO 3145's?