Author Topic: Re: DROP POD SEQUENCE INITIATED…THREE, TWO, ONE! (The announcements, finally)  (Read 51257 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Oh my so much I have to read more in depth on.

I'll assume it is okay to start giving feedback when something more than <TBD> is in the IO Beta thread.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I think the talk of who will be the ilClan would be best in its own thread. But that said...

That is interesting... I was aware of the historical meaning behind the name Alaric...  I didn't think that it would that much significance in-Universe.

Oh come on. He's the rightful heir to two different thrones, was the product of secret incest, was not born of woman, was raised by Wolves, his father was the greatest hero of his generation and his mother one of the foulest villains, became Khan by his own hand, and carved out an Empire. All he has left to do is beat Grendel to death with his own arm and destroy the Death Star.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

RAW

• Master Sergeant
My debit card is already sweating from the workout it's getting.

Also is the final print version of IO going to have the same cover as the few print beta's you guys are selling at Gen Con ??

Centurion03

• Master Sergeant
  • Jacta Alea Est - The Die is Cast
    • South African Wargamer
I think the talk of who will be the ilClan would be best in its own thread. But that said...

Oh come on. He's the rightful heir to two different thrones, was the product of secret incest, was not born of woman, was raised by Wolves, his father was the greatest hero of his generation and his mother one of the foulest villains, became Khan by his own hand, and carved out an Empire. All he has left to do is beat Grendel to death with his own arm and destroy the Death Star.

I'm laughing like a crazy person right now, I can see Alaric streaking down the Death Star Trench in his T-65 X-Wing, with Victor Steiner-Davion whispering "Use the Force" to him.

I'm off to buy the IO Beta, be back in a but!
« Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 16:28:23 by Centurion03 »

RAW

• Master Sergeant
My money is on the Wolverines as the IlClan......sweet poetic justice.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Have to say it would be interesting to have an emperor in Battletech for a change.
The previous one was Stefan Amaris... we know how that ended.
While practically all nations in BTU are de facto absolute monarchies/dictatorships, we haven't really had any that styles itself as an empire, before the Wolf Empire.
I'd be very much okay with Wolf Empire being the IlClan.

Because... well, you see, empires have tendency to come down burning... The aftermath is always such a good possibility for a setting.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
So is the Unseen art and the new art getting the 2750/3057 SLDF WarShip treatment, where both existed at some point?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
No.  This is a retcon.  The Phoenix designs will still exist, but the classics are back.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
It should be noted that you can still use whatever you want in your games, but this allows the 3025-era variants to be used in official events (Demo Team events, GenCon, tournaments, etc.) and pictured in art. It also allows CGL and IWM to produce and sell miniatures of those variants again.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
No.  This is a retcon.  The Phoenix designs will still exist, but the classics are back.

I wasn't referring to the Phoenix artwork/designs, but the actual Unseen artwork.  In other words, is an Unseen BattleMaster, or Warhammer, or Shadow Hawk no longer a BattleMaster, Warhammer or Shadow Hawk?

It should be noted that you can still use whatever you want in your games, but this allows the 3025-era variants to be used in official events (Demo Team events, GenCon, tournaments, etc.) and pictured in art. It also allows CGL and IWM to produce and sell miniatures of those variants again.

Yeah, got that part, and agree it's a good thing.  I'm just trying to clarify if the old Unseen artwork is still considered valid for some versions/production runs of the 'Mechs, just like we somehow have two different sets of artwork for, say, the Cameron class battlecruiser, both of which are considered canon/valid.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
I wasn't referring to the Phoenix artwork/designs, but the actual Unseen artwork.  In other words, is an Unseen BattleMaster, or Warhammer, or Shadow Hawk no longer a BattleMaster, Warhammer or Shadow Hawk?

Yeah, got that part, and agree it's a good thing.  I'm just trying to clarify if the old Unseen artwork is still considered valid for some versions/production runs of the 'Mechs, just like we somehow have two different sets of artwork for, say, the Cameron class battlecruiser, both of which are considered canon/valid.

This is a full retcon.  The Warhammer -6R now looks like the Warhammer in the announcement.  It is the look that all previously unseen Warhammers share in large part.  There are no more unseen Warhammers.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
This is a full retcon.  The Warhammer -6R now looks like the Warhammer in the announcement.  It is the look that all previously unseen Warhammers share in large part.  There are no more unseen Warhammers.

Which is making giddy beyond belief.  If finances permit I may actually see about hitting up my nearest demo agent for a fight during their next official game post IWM produced BLR-1G Battlemaster.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
I believe this is a "this is how they have always been for our publications" kind of thing.  Not a "well, the Star League Marauder looks like a Glaug Officer's Pod but a Marauder produced after 2940 looks like this."  I think the idea is to erase the old images and not have to fit a square peg in the circular hole.  This will allow them to not be backed into a corner in any era.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
I just had a chance to look at the announcement and all I have to say is -- take my money. All of it. That Whammie... can I marry it?  [drool]

More seriously, thank you, Catalyst. THIS is the solution I'd been hoping for. I'd resigned myself to the Phoenix designs (in fact learned to love a couple of them) while despairing of ever having artwork for the 3025-era notables due to the Phoenix designs not being canon in that time period. Seeing the Black Widow Company in action again in official art makes me cry Manly Tears of joy.

Now being able to safely ignore the fugly PhoenixHammer and PhoenixRauder is icing on the cake  ;D

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 15:59:54 by Pat Payne »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die

The 2750 and 3057 WarShip art was all produced in-house for FASA and is part and parcel of the BattleTech IP. The Unseen images are owned by other, sometimes hostile, companies. It's apples and oranges.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
They'd better do one Hell of a job re-drawing the Thud.   I love me the Primitive, but every other one. . . ugh.  Looking forward to that almost as much as I am the new Wolverine!
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
The 2750 and 3057 WarShip art was all produced in-house for FASA and is part and parcel of the BattleTech IP. The Unseen images are owned by other, sometimes hostile, companies. It's apples and oranges.

I'm also aware of that.  And I'm happy that this will give Catalyst and IWM the opportunity for new sales.

Still doesn't keep me from being bummed out.

(fixes broken quit bracket)
« Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 16:00:48 by Giovanni Blasini »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
sneak peek of the thud on pg 341 of IO

it's from behind... and missing its head... but that's what we've got right now

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
sneak peek of the thud on pg 341 of IO

it's from behind... and missing its head... but that's what we've got right now

I believe they will all look alike Shimmy's version
Just look at them, they are very similar
http://shimmering-sword.deviantart.com/art/Battletech-Unseen-Moon-396176559

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
What? Like maybe some of the Succession Wars XTROs?

>:D

Alpha Strike Box Set.

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Yes please. Yes please. Yes-please-yes-please-yes-please-yespleaseyespleaseyesplease.... and it kinda goes on from there...

By the way, thanks for killing my productivity at work today  :D
« Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 16:13:41 by Pat Payne »

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
SQUEEEEEEEE!! :Jumpy:

I'm so happy, 'Cause today I found my friends
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Wildfire

• Sergeant
Kinda having mixed feelings about this release, on one hand very happy to finally see IO (pdf downloaded and busy scanning through it) but on the other hand very unhappy to see the force creation rules which were beta tested back in 2012 have been moved to yet another book - I'm assuming for space reasons. I've been waiting for these rules since IO was announced so long ago I've forgotten when :)

So back to waiting for yet another book to be released.  >:(

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What force creation rules?  I ask simply because there are a lot of rules/systems for such a thing in various products already . . . could also be removed from the Beta release.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
What force creation rules?  I ask simply because there are a lot of rules/systems for such a thing in various products already . . . could also be removed from the Beta release.

They'll be in the campaign companion, i expect - which is already on the Coming Releases page

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
On recommendation from one of the Beemers in purple, I've stickied this thread.
By the odd chance I wasn't supposed to do that, I'm sorry.

However it may be a moot point.
You giggling gaggle of giddy gamers just keep popping this thread up to the top anyways.  ;)

How dare you exercise what little authority I flaunt! You shall be flogged with a hundred wet noodles one thousand times. Punishment will commence upon my finish of IO. It may take awhile.

::scorn::
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
Before today I thought that the coming releases page was unusually full of stuff I wanted. I didn't think I could be more impressed, but today here we are.

Kinda having mixed feelings about this release, on one hand very happy to finally see IO (pdf downloaded and busy scanning through it) but on the other hand very unhappy to see the force creation rules which were beta tested back in 2012 have been moved to yet another book - I'm assuming for space reasons. I've been waiting for these rules since IO was announced so long ago I've forgotten when :)

So back to waiting for yet another book to be released.  >:(

However I'll say that I think it's for the better that we finally got a full book that details force creation and campaign rules. I feel like that's what Strategic Operation should have been.

Now, it's still not exactly a one-stop shop for campaigns since a bunch of campaign-related content made it into Strategic Operations and you'll need Tech Manual and Tactical Operations for all of the price/availability/etc. data, but hey I'm glad that it's finally going to be here.

Maybe when the rules get a refresh and a new set of books in anoher decade or two we can have a one-stop campaign book :V

Wildfire

• Sergeant

The ones discussed in this thread http://bg.battletech.com/forums/catalyst-asks-you!/interstellar-operations-open-beta-test-creating-a-force-discussion/

I was hoping they'd make the book after such a prominent beta testing, but as Sartris said they should be covered by the campaign companion, at least I'm hoping they are :)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
The ones discussed in this thread http://bg.battletech.com/forums/catalyst-asks-you!/interstellar-operations-open-beta-test-creating-a-force-discussion/

I was hoping they'd make the book after such a prominent beta testing, but as Sartris said they should be covered by the campaign companion, at least I'm hoping they are :)

They will be. It's noted as such in the Coming Releases page.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
About the RoTS/FedSuns joining thing, I think that the RoTS is going to fall apart, but the FedSuns will absorb most of it because ideologically their the closest match.

As for the Combat Manuals, the TRO inside of them will likely be about bringing new units to AS, so no new stuff for TW/BT proper

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
As for the Combat Manuals, the TRO inside of them will likely be about bringing new units to AS, so no new stuff for TW/BT proper
Why? Units still need to be designed in BT before AS stats can be made.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships