Author Topic: ground-based capital-scale turrets?  (Read 2823 times)

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
ground-based capital-scale turrets?
« on: 08 December 2017, 20:09:05 »
Has anyone constructed something like this before? If so, would you please share the details?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 20:25:21 by GOTHIK »

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
Re: ground-based capital-scale turrets?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2017, 00:58:42 »
You mean like the Rattler mobile structure?

I think the rules are in Tac Ops

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2017, 23:43:13 »
The only class of building that can have Capital weapons is Fortress Class or Castle Brian class buildings . Fortress buildings can squeeze in about 112 tons of Capital weapons on a single hex so anything other than missiles become rather involved such as weapons on the roof heat sinks and power plants on the floor below . Do to curvature of a planetary horizon Tel Guided Capital missiles become the go to defensive and offensive weapons . Most attacking forces land 150 KM from a Target all capital weapons insure that they land no closer than 90 km . That just states an objective raid forces should be within about a 2-3 hour window timetable . A fighter cap is normally enough to prevent a combat  drops . Ground based capital weapons invites the use of WMDs do it if no other solution is practical ( normally because of truly limited manpower ) , otherwise figure a different approach. TEL guided missiles vertically launched and effectively piloted like a drone that explodes . Since it is piloted it can go in any direction without being in a ( Turret ) . It is the closest thing I know of that the game permits to get what you want.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 06:28:06 by Col Toda »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2017, 01:25:02 »
I don't think you have Capital Scale weapons in a Turret.

You get them firing straight up for SDS units & we get some of those in the Castle Brian Weapon & ADA Bunkers.

Otherwise Turrets normally house standard scale weapons
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2017, 17:34:32 »
Sub-Caps can, but the others are too heavy. In general all you'll fire at is up.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2017, 11:39:38 »
Sub-Caps can, but the others are too heavy. In general all you'll fire at is up.

TT

Which, basically, means you shouldn't even bother since you've got so little traverse and tracking ability.  Shooting straight ahead is the problem that makes Mass Drivers not worth their upkeep, we probably want more than 5 degrees of traverse from our superheavy defenses.

The video games (Mech Commander, MWO) have planetary defense batteries, including mobile ones on Huntress.  Since there were no sub-cap weapons at the time of that game's creation, and the Clans don't use them anyways, we have to conclude that those were Mobile Structures hauling around massive Naval Laser turrets.  Thankfully, heat dispersion is somewhat easier on a mobile structure than a spaceship-just have a nice big water tank and let it flash-boil off steam with each shot.  Or have a engineering crew construct a pond and drive your mobile structure into it until your heat-sinks on the underside are nice and wet.  Getting out without being stuck, that's a different problem...

Can you extend a teleoperated missile's range by vectoring it up into space, then diving onto the target?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2017, 15:45:01 »
I can see value in building Naval Laser emplacements in fortresses near important cities.  Its not so much a deterent to orbital bombardment, though that would work to some degree, its a message to hostile dropships that they are entering a mech raid free zone.

If pirates have to land well over the horizon it is far easer to mobilise an effective defence.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2017, 17:28:10 »
I can see value in building Naval Laser emplacements in fortresses near important cities.  Its not so much a deterent to orbital bombardment, though that would work to some degree, its a message to hostile dropships that they are entering a mech raid free zone.

If pirates have to land well over the horizon it is far easer to mobilise an effective defence.

That is true.  It was rather effectively in MechWarrior 3 at scattering the raiding force.  If that had been a pirate force hit like that instead of a DEM house unit, the results in that story would have been quite different.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem