Author Topic: Must-read Dark Age novels?  (Read 3612 times)

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
Must-read Dark Age novels?
« on: 29 March 2011, 21:04:16 »
I'll be honest: I've only read 2 Dark Age novels thus far -- Flight of the Falcon and Blood of the Isle.  I have A Rending of Falcons on my to-read stack but haven't gotten to it yet, sadly.

Are there any DA novels that are must-reads in order to understand the goings on in A Bonfire of Worlds?  I've heard Bonfire ties up a lot of loose plot threads, but I'm honestly not sure what any of those threads are.

What would everyone recommend for the overall big-picture plot that Bonfire finishes out?

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Must-read Dark Age novels?
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2011, 21:17:07 »
What would everyone recommend for the overall big-picture plot that Bonfire finishes out?

The book where we meet Tucker Harwood and then the last five books in the series. So that's:
14Target of OpportunityBlaine Lee Pardoe
25Masters of WarMichael A. Stackpole
26A Rending of FalconsVictor Milán
27Pandora's GambitRandall N. Bills
28Fire at WillBlaine Lee Pardoe
29The Last ChargeJason M. Hardy
30To Ride the ChimeraKevin Killiany
« Last Edit: 29 March 2011, 21:18:43 by roosterboy »

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2011, 21:55:14 »
Much appreciated, RB.  [rockon]

Is the book that introduces Fortress Republic included in this list?  I know nothing about that except for the name because I wanted to read about it in the books at some point rather than hear about it secondhand from someone else.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2011, 22:12:07 »
Is the book that introduces Fortress Republic included in this list?  I know nothing about that except for the name because I wanted to read about it in the books at some point rather than hear about it secondhand from someone else.

Nope, that would be in the book entitled Fortress Republic. But we don't really learn that much about it, so don't be too disappointed.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2011, 00:18:11 »
You mean we don't learn much about Fortress Republic in Fortress Republic or in any of the Dark-Age books?

Author Page
Official Website

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2011, 00:23:15 »
We see Levin announce it in FR. We learn some of the effects of trying to break through in Dragon Rising and Bonfire. In the rest of the novel line, the Fortress is just basically a background detail.