Author Topic: Building a Draconis March Militia  (Read 3061 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Building a Draconis March Militia
« on: 12 June 2013, 21:26:34 »
I was thinking that while the getting was good, I might as well make up a couple Kobayashi Maru scenarios. In the past, I've played as Avalon Hussars, Capellan Dragoons, and when I was feeling all fancy pantsy I played as the 4th Davion Guards (Damn you Katists!)

Well, now we are on a losing streak. A darn fine one. So maybe it's time to make up a Draconis March Militia ToE and bleed it out. Instead of good or even great equipment, I'm going to try to use what the tables, the TROs, and my brain power tell me a DMM LCT would have in store. Any help is welcome.

So for the Bremond DMM LCT, we know the basic form will be as follows:

A mech battalion with a LCT command company attached, so 48 mechs total.

Two armored regiments, one probably heavy, one cavalry style.

Two infantry regiments. Probably at least two battalions of battlearmor--but probably mostly Cavaliers and lesser prestige units. Maybe:
1. Organic transports
2. Towed weapons
3 Couple battalions of motorized infantry to round out two total regiments of infantry support.

Lastly, there will probably be a company of artillery.

According to FM: 3085 (60 year old intel, I know) The Bremond DMM is Green, has a D equipment rating, and is only 60% updated.

I plan to play this unit against another created unit: probably a Benjamin Regulars outfit. They will most likely have much better equipment and be either Regular or Veteran mechwarriors.

So with all this in mind:

Rough sketch is I'm looking at a medium weight mech battalion: mostly Sentrys and Watchmen produced in the Draconis March, with a sprinkling of Project Phoenix lights and heavies. No assaults. Thinking the Argus and Ostsol, both produced on Robinson, should be represented. Nothing produced after 3100 or so--befitting of the type of stuff a D rated unit would get in the RATS for FM: 3085

Heavy Armor regiment: any suggestions here? I want to use second line machines but not sure what to take.

Cavalry Regiment: Probably will have a couple lances of Ziblers and Sorteks with the normal hodgepodge of hovers. Also intend on heavy use of Musketeer Rac hovers along with Warrior and Yellow Jacket VTOLS. Not sure what else.

For infantry, I'm figuring BA battalions with 80% Cavaliers and a smattering of Pumas. I can't see too many of the advanced designs making it down to march militia. Thoughts here?

Artillery: Maybe a couple Paladins or Snipers? Not too sure, never played with much Arty.

There would probably be an aero wing assigned to the MM, but nothing fancy.

Any thoughts or contributions are welcome. I'll probably post my LCT mech command company next!

MarauderD

• Major
Re: Building a Draconis March Militia
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2013, 21:38:12 »
Bremond DMM LCT Command Company:

Command Lance:
Marauder-7D
Warhammer-8D
Ostsol-8D
Enforcer-5D

Fire Lance
Argus 2D
Falconer 8R
Centurion CN9-D
Rifleman 6D

Pursuit Lance
Locust 5M
Fireball 10D
Valiant J3
Talon 6W

This company will have the best equipment in the LCT, and will have Regular or Veteran Pilots. Not totally set on the makeup, but looks reasonable to start with.

For tomorrow: Combat Command Able!
« Last Edit: 12 June 2013, 21:47:39 by MarauderD »

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2013, 21:52:52 »
This sounds like a really fun idea. You're really getting the best of both worlds with this sort of unit - mix of new and old tech.

have you considered some Fennecs? I really rate it as a solid machine for a company commander - and it's not too high tech (especially considering it mounts ole fashioned PPCs).
I also see a lot of Valkyries in your future as well.

Also, where do you stand on Industrials? The latest Wolf's Dragoon short stories features militia units beefing up their mech assets with converted Industrialmechs.
This is a great way to fill out a unit or form a whole new unit to be used as cannon fodder (everytime your opponent is shooting up a converted Agromech, he's not shooting at your Marauder), base defence forces, rear area security, etc.

I think your idea of using Cavaliers is spot on. Maybe consider forming a "light company" of Pumas that are designated as the militia's Special Forces element. This company isn't part of your line force, but instead is well trained in the local terrain and can be deployed by air, deep into your enemy's rear.
i'd probably train them up in stay behind tactics, allowing them to harry your enemy in an inconventional fashion even after the rest of the unit is forced offworld.

Armour-wise - I'd also look at the Hasek as a quick reaction IFV to transport BA squad. There's a couple references to them being pressed into service as straight up MBTs by House Davion forces as well.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2013, 01:15:22 »
Might I suggest a Hound or two from the recent merc TRO?  I think they were started around 3100, and they would be a great low-tech heavy bought off a foreign power.

As far as armor . . .

Brutus Assault Tank, Zhukov, Po and maybe Marsdens or the odd Merkava Mk VIII.  Also throw in a T-12 Tiger or two for fun.  The first three heavy tracked tanks would definately be forming the anvil, and they could be Jihad left overs with some bits of upgrade- HPPC for the Brutus, LB-10X or LGR for the Zhukovs and Pos.  Once you get out of the heavier tracked, things like Vedettes and Scorpions will be likely.

As far as cavalry armor . . . hovers and fast tracked.  The S series, Condors from Quikscell, maybe something like Harassers and Drillsons.  The pride of the cavalry armor regiment, some Fulcrums and Musketeers.  For the fast tracks, I think Galleons and other lights will be the best options.  Might want to have one or two companies from this regiment be 'air cavalry' in the form of attack VTOLs and VTOL transports (which can be loaded with Rockets!).

BA?  Go with Cavaliers, IS Standards, GDL Standards, Infiltrator Mk I for recon platoons if you do not want to give them GDL Scouts.  I would also go with a squad or three of Raiden suits, as salvage hand-me downs.  Perhaps for oddity, a squad of Phalanx taken from Blakists.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2013, 12:42:39 »
Thanks for the suggestions gents!

Bremond DMM LCT, Combat Command "Able":

Able Mech company:

Command Lance:
Stealth 2D
Phoenix Hawk 3PL
Phoenix Hawk 6D
Wasp 3S

Second lance:
2 Watchmen, 2 Sentrys

Third Lance:
2 Watchmen, 2 Sentrys

Able Heavy Armor:

1st Company
4 Brutus HPPC
4 Rommel Gauss
4 Patton Ultra

2nd Company
4 Manticore HPPC
4 Manteuffel Omnitanks
4 Schreck PPC (armor)

3rd Company
4 Hasek IFV
4 Vedette (Cell)
4 Hasek IFV

Able Cavalry Battalion:

1st VTOL Company:
4 Cavalry
4 Yellow Jacket Gunships
4 Yellow Jacket (RAC)

1st Hover Cavalry Company:
4 Musketeer
4 Sortek
4 Zibler Omni-hovers

2nd Hover Cavalry Company:
4 Minion (targeting)
4 Pandion Wige
4 Fulcrum II

Able Infantry Regiment

Able BAB:
3 Companies of Cavalier BA with Maxim Hover support (192 Troopers)
1 Company of Infiltrator Mk II with Cavalry Infiltrator support (64 Troopers)

Able Motorized Infantry Battalion:
Battalion will used towed weapons--Mostly LAC 5 and RAC 2s.

Able Infantry Battalion:
258 PBI with just their wits and their rifles.

Thoughts: I tried to incorporate suggestions in the makeup of the first combat command! The MUL was consulted a good bit, along with FM: FedSuns, FM: Updates, and FM: 3085 for ideas on force composition. Lastly, I took a look at the RAT attached to ER: 3145, but took it with a grain of salt in that their wouldn't be a ton of front line equipment in a DMM unit.

The Infiltrator Mark IIs and their Cavalry Infiltrator support are the special forces team for the LCT. They would operate independently of the command, but are just listed here on the ToE.

1st and 2nd Company of the heavy armor holds most of the firepower for the command. I tried to think of them as the anvil as Colt Ward mentioned. The mechs will support the heavy armor and infantry while the cavalry will scout and harass the enemy.

Probably won't have time to make Combat Command "Baker" for a few days, so any thoughts/corrections/ideas are welcome!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2013, 10:02:23 »
Looking over what I have so far, I started thinking there wasn't enough 3039 tech on the roster. The two RATS I'm consulting most, from FM:3085 and ER:3145 just don't have much 3039 tech in them.

Any thoughts on 3039 mechs or armor? I'm thinking the Vedette and Myrmidon should probably be in there. Perhaps the Goblin as well. For heavy armor, Rommel/Patton/Manticore?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2013, 19:59:07 »
Tiger T-12's using specialty ammos.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2013, 01:44:06 »
There two lines of thought for the sort of force you're building here with regards to 'Mechs. As it's a Militia force it's 'Mech component should be cheap low end units, classically Wasps, Locusts and Stingers and probably not upgraded model when those are available.

My personal view is that the 'Mechs in the sort of force your putting together should be you shock forces and they should be picked for roles that you can't get otherwise

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2013, 05:37:11 »
For more of a Draconis March flavor, I'd advise replacing the CO's Marauder with a Black Knight; either one of the swanky new ones from TRO 3145 or an old BL-12-KNT. Also, since they're produced on Robinson, an assault lance with a couple of Victor 10Ds and a couple of Sagittaires would be pretty fitting.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1