Author Topic: (Answered) Linked Scenarios Force Composition  (Read 2853 times)

mnmib1

• Master Sergeant
(Answered) Linked Scenarios Force Composition
« on: 22 September 2012, 19:13:55 »
I have a question regarding linked scenarios in StratOps.  On p. 48 under the heading Determining Scenarios it says that, "If Units from both sides have Fight orders, those Units will meet in battle".  It then goes on to say, "Assign troops appropriately per the Force composition rules for the scenarios (see p. 265, TW)". 

Now, assume the following:

Side A has a full strength lance of 4 'Mechs (with Fight orders) worth 4000 BV.
Side B has lost 'Mechs in previous turns and can only field a lance of 3 'Mechs (with Fight orders) worth 3000 BV.
After cross-referencing the campaign scores, the scenario is determined to be a Standup Fight.  Force composition, according to TW (p. 259), for a Standup Fight is an equal allotment of points.

Should Side A deploy only 3 of their 4 'Mechs?  Or should he deploy the full 4 'Mechs, gaining an advantage over his opponent, because of Side B's previous losses?

After re-reading this post I think I may not be clear on what I'm actually looking for.  Let me add the following:

From StrtOps p. 48: "If one side has committed more Units to Fight or Scout orders than  the  opponent  has  Units,  the  controlling player  may  assign  multiple  Units  against  the opposing Force".

Now, assume the following:

Side A has 1 company of 12 'Mechs (3 lances), worth 1000 BV each.
Side B has 2 comapanies of 24 'Mechs (6 lances), again worth 100 BV each.

Side A gives Scout orders to 1 lance and Fight orders to 2 lances.
Side B gives Scout orders to 2 lances and Fight orders to 4 lances.

1.  The Scout lances meet in a Hide and Seek scenario.  Side A is the Attacker and should field twice as many 'Mechs as Side B.  Since Side A gave Scout orders to 1 lance (4 'Mechs), and Side B (the Defender) gave Scout orders to 2 lances (8 'Mechs) would Side A deploy all 4 'Mechs and Side B only 2 'Mechs?

2.  The lances with Fight orders meet in a Hold the Line scenario.  Side A is the Attacker and should deploy twice as many 'Mechs as Side B.  Since Side A gave Fight orders to 2 lances (8 'Mechs) and Side B gave Fight orders to 4 lances (16 'Mechs), and they were both give orders as a multi-unit group per StratOps p.48, would Side A deploy all 8 'Mechs and Side B would only deploy 4 'Mechs?

3.  If Side B is only deploying 2 'Mechs in question 1 and 4 'Mechs in question 2, what about the remaining 18 'Mechs?  Did they just not arrive at the battle and will be given fresh orders on the next day?

Basically, according to StratOps, "If one side has committed more Units to Fight or Scout orders than  the  opponent  has  Units,  the  controlling player  may  assign  multiple  Units  against  the opposing Force".
But also, according to StratOps, "Assign troops appropriately per the Force composition rules for the scenarios (see p. 265, TW)".

These two statements seem to contradict one another, and I'm trying to find out how to reconcile them.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: 06 October 2012, 17:45:31 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Linked Scenarios Force Composition
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2012, 17:45:18 »
The rules in Total Warfare assume largely evenly-balanced games, as explained under the Note on p. 258.  This doesn't always apply for campaign games, and so if playing something along those lines using the StratOps rules, then SO takes precedence.

In your case, you'd obey the TW scenario guidelines as long as possible.  When the campaign progresses to the point in which you can no longer do this, then the SO guidelines take over ("If more Units on one side have Fight orders than those on the opposing side, assign the remainder against defending and non-combat Units.)"  If that's not enough, then the final clause comes into play ("one side has committed more Units to Fight or Scout orders than the opponent has Units, the controlling player may assign multiple Units against the opposing Force.")

If you have any further questions, by all means follow-up.  Thank you.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0