Author Topic: Want to ask a Battletech Writer something?  (Read 13033 times)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Want to ask a Battletech Writer something?
« on: 19 March 2014, 14:28:12 »
Well, here's your chance..... O0

I did this a couple of years back, and got a good response from you guys. So, I'm going to do it again....

I have a blog devoted to Battletech --- The Battletech State (Link in my sig file). I post a little bit of everything relating to Battletech, including 'Mech designs, a few AToW characters, and some of my pre-battlecorps author fanfiction. A couple of years back, I opened up a thread on the forum in which people could ask me questions, and I would take those questions (when I got enough of them) and answered them on my blog. So, I'm opening another thread to anyone who has a question about writing for Battletech or anything else related to the gaming universe with a couple of caveats:

First, I am limited by what I can discuss by my NDA with Catalyst Games Lab. So, I can't say anything about what's coming up, or any private discussions about the universe's future. (not that I know too much of the future plans to begin with....)

Second, it may take me a couple of days to answer some questions. I will answer the questions here and take the thread and transpose it to my blog in a future post.

So, ask away!

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Wombat

• Captain
Re: Want to ask a Battletech Writer something?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2014, 14:29:46 »
How about a little something more self-serving...like where the fark I can find a game in Hong Kong?
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2014, 20:09:48 »
How do you store ideas for later? I have been thinking about using Evernote to just jot ideas down and expand on them later.

Edit: I am adding more questions for you.

Do you have a day job? When you write do you listen to anything?  Where do you write?  Do you have set times to write? Is being a full time writer a goal for you? When you sold your first story to BattleCorps how did you feel?
« Last Edit: 20 March 2014, 11:36:02 by Spaceman »
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2014, 21:20:38 »
Can you tell us why they get new Print BT Novels in Germany, but we can't have them here?  I realize it's a "Licensing Thing", but they still have to go through TOPPS, don't they?   ???  I've enjoyed the 4 BattleCorps Anthologies (numerous typos aside), but with dialup, I CAN'T Enjoy the stories on BattleCorps.   :'(
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2014, 22:02:38 »
Can it be arranged for well written fan fiction/fan background that passes an internal test by the developers to be adopted as canon?

We take it as a given that this would be a privilege not a right, and that disclaimers would have to be signed etc, but it would be nice to have this sort of facility open for exceptional work.
It would be good if there was a possibility to arrange for quality in fan input to be rewarded, it would encourage submissions.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2014, 13:20:14 »
Have any of your stories made it into the anthologies, yet? If so, how does it feel to actually have one of your stories in print in the real sense?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2014, 13:50:32 »
Are you considering to make serial Battlecorp series in the not so distant future?
How do you go about designing campaigns and so forth that may be chosen to become canon?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2014, 14:18:50 »
How about a little something more self-serving...like where the fark I can find a game in Hong Kong?

No idea, as I'm in Florida, but I've passed along the question to someone who knows more than I do..... O0

Craig
(Is BT even legal in China?)
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2014, 14:32:20 »
How do you store ideas for later? I have been thinking about using Evernote to just jot ideas down and expand on them later.

I have a list of ideas, as well as a spreadsheet with notes on different things. my list is 30-40 ideas, and another dozen that have something written --- a paragraph, a page, a section or most of the story. I tend to bounce from one story to another as the muse directs.....

Edit: I am adding more questions for you.

Do you have a day job? When you write do you listen to anything?  Where do you write?  Do you have set times to write? Is being a full time writer a goal for you? When you sold your first story to BattleCorps how did you feel?

Day Job? No.
Listen to anything? Music, either the 80's or something from my CD collection.
Where? I have a computer in my bedroom, and I write there.
Time to write? Sometimes during the day, but mostly at night, before I go to bed.
Being a full time writer? I would like to be, and I'm working toward that goal.
First Battlecorps sale? It felt great! And every time I make a sale, I get the same feeling.  ;)

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2014, 21:22:23 »
Can you tell us why they get new Print BT Novels in Germany, but we can't have them here?  I realize it's a "Licensing Thing", but they still have to go through TOPPS, don't they?   ???  I've enjoyed the 4 BattleCorps Anthologies (numerous typos aside), but with dialup, I CAN'T Enjoy the stories on BattleCorps.   :'(

I don't know any of the details -- that's several steps above me. That's not me hiding behind an NDA --- only a few of the senior people in CGL know any of the details, and we freelancers are not in the "Need to know" group. We're given just enough detail to complete our assignments. Anything dealing with the business side of things never comes down to our level. We're as much in the dark as you guys are.

I do know Randal and the rest are just as frustrated as the fans are. Battletech is a fiction-driven game, and not having novels to put out is one of the most frustrating things as a writer. As to what's going on, I have no idea. But I do know CGL is trying their damdest to get the lack of novels resolved.

Craig

My Blogs!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2014, 21:47:08 »
My understanding is, the novel situation is all about rights. Ulysses had rights to German publication from FanPro, Roc had English language rights from FASA. These rights - like Microsoft's computer game rights - weren't part of any movement from FASA to FanPro, FanPro to WizKids, WK to Topps.

CGL can only work with the rights Topps has to licence to them.  And yes, it's intensly frustrating. DO not mix in the affairs of lawyers, because they are subtle and quick to drain bank accounts ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2014, 22:35:00 »
Can it be arranged for well written fan fiction/fan background that passes an internal test by the developers to be adopted as canon?

We take it as a given that this would be a privilege not a right, and that disclaimers would have to be signed etc, but it would be nice to have this sort of facility open for exceptional work.
It would be good if there was a possibility to arrange for quality in fan input to be rewarded, it would encourage submissions.

Fanfiction background? No.  :(

Outside input, no matter how well-written, is not even going to be looked at, due to legal liability. It would be the same as if you sent an unsolicited script to a Hollywood Studio.

Everything --- Universe direction, Mech designs and images, main characters, major events is mandated to have to come from inside CGL, from people who have NDAs. The Unseens are a prime example of why this mandate came about.

The only thing I can recommend is to submit stories to Battlecorps. Jason's always looking for good stories, and it's a good place to start earning your Battletech cred with the company. That's how I started, and so far it's worked out

If you can show you have a good grasp of the universe, can write good stories, and act professionally, you will have a greater chance of bringing some influence to the table. That said, a freelance writer's influence with the LD is almost nil.... ;)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2014, 22:53:20 »
Are you considering to make serial Battlecorp series in the not so distant future?

I do have a couple of serial Battlecorps series in mind, but the first thing I need to do is write all the parts of each series before submitting it. Jason's not going to take a partially complete serial -- it's all or nothing.

The challenge is to plot out the entire serial before I start writing. With the single stories, it's easier, because I need a beginning middle and end. Serials, because they're longer, need more plotting, decisions on where to end a part and how to pick it up in the next part, and make sure there's enough plot to carry over all the parts. Then it's writing the story.

But I have several serials ideas I'm considering....

How do you go about designing campaigns and so forth that may be chosen to become canon?

I've done a little bit of writing about campaigns,and created several scenarios. The campaign writing was in Total Choas, where I write the sidebar on the Europe and England campaigns during the invasion that ended the Jihad, in part because I'd written a Battlecorps story that took place in England about that time.

But when it comes to designing campaigns, I haven't taken a lot of time to explore that. I'm loking at writing a Jihad-era TP, but that's something down the road.

Thanks for the questions,

Craig

My Blogs!

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2014, 00:16:00 »
My understanding is, the novel situation is all about rights. Ulysses had rights to German publication from FanPro, Roc had English language rights from FASA. These rights - like Microsoft's computer game rights - weren't part of any movement from FASA to FanPro, FanPro to WizKids, WK to Topps.

CGL can only work with the rights Topps has to licence to them.  And yes, it's intensly frustrating. DO not mix in the affairs of lawyers, because they are subtle and quick to drain bank accounts ...

I'm Guessing the Problem/Bottleneck is with Roc, because they did the MWDA novels for Wizkids?  ???  I just looked at To Ride the Chimera, and it's copyrighted "WizKids, Inc 2008".  I remember being teased back in '09 or '10, with 2 new BT Novels that were supposedly almost ready to go to the printers . . . then nothing.   :'(  I wonder if some sort of "Online Petition" pleading with TOPPS to hammer things out would do any good?  :-\

As Daemion asked, did any of your stories make it into any of the 4 Anthologies, and if so, which story(ies) and which Anthology(ies)?
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2014, 13:28:40 »
Actually, I do have a couple others.

How does your foot feel, now that it's in the door?

Now that you're part of the writer's stable, do you feel you have more freedom for creativity, or does it feel even more restricted beyond the requirements listed for new-timer submissions?

How many ideas have you had to abandon, and do you expect to recover any in the future?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2014, 15:25:23 »
Kind of an insider question here: do things feel/work differently now that Herb isn't in the Big Chair?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2014, 19:29:49 »
I'm Guessing the Problem/Bottleneck is with Roc, because they did the MWDA novels for Wizkids?  ???  I just looked at To Ride the Chimera, and it's copyrighted "WizKids, Inc 2008".  I remember being teased back in '09 or '10, with 2 new BT Novels that were supposedly almost ready to go to the printers . . . then nothing.   :'(  I wonder if some sort of "Online Petition" pleading with TOPPS to hammer things out would do any good?  :-\

I will defer to WT's post, as I'm not that high on the pecking order. But if it is legal, then it means lawyers are involved, which means any action on that matter is slow down to a near standstill. I really hope they clear it up soon....

As Daemion asked, did any of your stories make it into any of the 4 Anthologies, and if so, which story(ies) and which Anthology(ies)?

Not yet, and I apologize for missing the original question. The Anthologies are done in chronological order --- The stories in Volume 1 were among the first stories on the Battlecorps websites (The first year or so), Volume 2 has stories from the next year, and so on. I'm hoping that one of my first stories appears in Volume 5 (which should be out this year!)

Craig

My Blogs!

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2014, 21:43:25 »
You've said before that BC submissions are around 10,000 words. So, I'm curious what the process would be for a serial. Would you submit it all at once, or just send in "part one" and hope they ask for more?
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2014, 21:45:53 »
When you create charactors whats your process? do you ever create AToW sheets for them? dumb questions but its somthing i was gonna ask in the Ask a writer forum anyway  :D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2014, 22:10:28 »
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Craig

A comprehensive answer that explains the situation is helpful.

I fail to see how a piece of work adopted by CGL by mutual agreement could be problematical, but then it appears to be a case of playing extra safe for piece of mind.

As a creative writer I have often been warned away from fan fiction as you write with no goal, even original work is never truly yours because of IP, and due to problems is seldom adopted. Some companies do adopt input, but then those companies didn't have unseen.

Consequently I keep my own ideas entirely to myself unless very specific to IP , this way something that works in my own fan extension to Battletech it can be ported into something else, once attributed it's attributed.

Some companies got the other way. White Wolf being a case example made formal IP claim to all fan fiction based on its IP, including character names.  One of the reasons I no longer play their games because it formally interferes with my own creativity.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2014, 22:12:11 by Von Jankmon »
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #20 on: 22 March 2014, 13:02:42 »
You've said before that BC submissions are around 10,000 words. So, I'm curious what the process would be for a serial. Would you submit it all at once, or just send in "part one" and hope they ask for more?

Actually, most of my stories are around 8,000 words. I've had only one story published that was over 10,000 words, and we had the go-ahead to up to 12,000 words, if I remember right. (Blood of Man, in case anyone wondering).

For beginners, 5-6,000 words would be the absolute max, and even I've had to trim a couple of thosand words out of a story before Jason would accept it. Right now, the sweet spot for me seems to be between 8,000-8,500 words, though I must be aware that any story I submit might need to be trimmed down to make it acceptable.

For a serial, I would submit all at once --- and have it accepted or rejected in one shot. On a serial, it's best to show that you're written it all before submitting it. Jason is not going to accept part one unless you can show that you're writtem the rest of the story.

Hope that helps,

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #21 on: 22 March 2014, 13:10:03 »
Kind of an insider question here: do things feel/work differently now that Herb isn't in the Big Chair?

There's some differences, but make no mistake: while Herb may not be the LD, he is still very active in the BT workgroup, and his words still carry weight. Randall's the LD, but Herb is sill around --- he just don't have the acess codes to the Nukes anymore...... ;)

Craig

My Blogs!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2014, 13:14:07 »
No idea, as I'm in Florida, but I've passed along the question to someone who knows more than I do..... O0

Craig
(Is BT even legal in China?)
Isn't that where they make the new plastic minis? Or is it like Jack Daniels, where you can't buy it in Lynchburg because it's in a dry county?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #23 on: 22 March 2014, 13:35:28 »
When you create charactors whats your process? do you ever create AToW sheets for them? dumb questions but its something i was gonna ask in the Ask a writer forum anyway  :D

Character creation starts at the beginning. The POV character is usually the first one, than the antagonist, and the supporting characters. Once the story is underway, details come to the forefront and I work them into the story. Sometimes I take stock characters and give them a twist. Precentor Gazael, for example, is an example of a character who, while still a Manei Domini, is far from being the cold-blooded cybernetic killing machine that's been glimpse in the Jihad books.

Character motives are very important to me, as an author. Without them, the story and the characters are flat. The motives can be simple or complex, or multiple, or even conflicting. The motives must be the central reason why a character does something in the story. The motives can be simple as duty, survival, or revenge. And those motives affect the character's actions, which affect other characters in the story, and maybe their motives.

I hope that makes sense....

As for AToW sheets, I've played around with the idea, but I've never actually gone ahead and done one for a character in a story. I don't want to get down in the weeds and break the character down into a collection of stats. Still haven't ruled it out though.

Keep them coming!

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2014, 14:03:42 »
A comprehensive answer that explains the situation is helpful.

I fail to see how a piece of work adopted by CGL by mutual agreement could be problematical, but then it appears to be a case of playing extra safe for piece of mind.

There was a court case, one I didn't mention in the previous post (because it's in the past and the PTB want to keep it in the past) that involved a mistake with original work being published by WK as canon. Because of that case, the PTB deemed that EVERYTHING be done in-house, to eliminate any possibility of outside work blowing up in their faces. CGL wants to avoid any chance of another legal case over IP.

As a creative writer I have often been warned away from fan fiction as you write with no goal, even original work is never truly yours because of IP, and due to problems is seldom adopted. Some companies do adopt input, but then those companies didn't have unseen.

Actually, Amazon has agreements with several companies to publish fanfiction of certain IPs. If you just jump through the hoops and follow the guidelines (And write in one of the approved series), then you can sell it on Amazon. Jason Schmitzer wrote a Bloodshot novella (Before the RPG project was send to the CGL writers). So, depending on a few things, you could (possible) publish your fanfiction. (But BT won't go that route)

Again, it's CGL making sure that everything is watertight legally.

Consequently I keep my own ideas entirely to myself unless very specific to IP , this way something that works in my own fan extension to Battletech it can be ported into something else, once attributed it's attributed.

Have you look at ourbattletech.com http://www.ourbattletech.com/? They have several fan-based alternate universes running over there. Not canon, but he do seem popular.

Some companies got the other way. White Wolf being a case example made formal IP claim to all fan fiction based on its IP, including character names.  One of the reasons I no longer play their games because it formally interferes with my own creativity.

Fanfiction has always been a gray area. Speaking as someone who has written  anime-based fanfiction, there is always a spector of someone dropping the hammer on any of my fanfiction. But I think fanfiction is a way to start writing and get use to crafting stories before taking the next step and creating an original universe. I've always tried to stay true to the series characters I've used in fanfiction, to make it a story that could fit into the universe.

I doubt CGL would drop the hammer on fanfiction like White Wolf did. Having fun with the game is the number one priority, and if that means using some house rules, using your own designs, or writing stories about your unit that's a good thing for CGL.

Thanks for the discussion,

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2014, 14:25:16 »
Actually, I do have a couple others.

How does your foot feel, now that it's in the door?

It's a good feeling.

Now that you're part of the writer's stable, do you feel you have more freedom for creativity, or does it feel even more restricted beyond the requirements listed for new-timer submissions?

A bit of both. On the one hand, you have parameters you have to stay within. On the other hand, you have freedom within those parameters.

For example, in Total Chaos, I was given the task of creating the background for the Merc unit, Gannon's Cannons. I had the name of the CO (Gannon Deer), the unit name, the description of the CO and XO (for the artwork), Gannon's BattleMaster and the unit's color scheme. I also had a list of tracks the Cannons were involved in that I had to write the introduction and postscripts for. Otherwise, I had free reign to create the XO's name and background, create Gannon's background, and the style and content for the track introductions and postscripts.

In Interstellar Players 3, we had instructions to create small Perphricy states, but not allow them to be major players, or have technology close to the Inner Sphere's. I created the New Delphi Compact, a mostly agroculture society, techonology five hundrd years behind the Inner Sphere, and a reason to stay isolated:The Delphi Curse.

So, as long as we stay inside the lines, we can color the picture any color we want.

How many ideas have you had to abandon, and do you expect to recover any in the future?

Story ideas? A couple. But sometimes, all the idea needs is more time, or a twist to the original idea. Stories are never abadon, just reworked into something new.

Craig

My Blogs!

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #26 on: 22 March 2014, 20:49:45 »
Do you ever see some random thing, like an odd phrase or name or funny happenstance, and just think "yeah, I need to write that into a story." ?
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #27 on: 23 March 2014, 14:15:26 »
Isn't that where they make the new plastic minis? Or is it like Jack Daniels, where you can't buy it in Lynchburg because it's in a dry county?

I think so, but, that's another couple of things over my level..... ;)

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #28 on: 23 March 2014, 14:18:32 »
Do you ever see some random thing, like an odd phrase or name or funny happenstance, and just think "yeah, I need to write that into a story." ?

Not so much funny happenstance, as full-blown scenes will come to me. No story, just a scene between two or more characters. So I have to write down the bones, enough so I can remember the scene when I need it....

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #29 on: 25 March 2014, 22:05:08 »
Any questions about the stories I've written?  O:-)

Craig

My Blogs!