Author Topic: Red Dawn  (Read 3582 times)

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
  • Hollis Incorporated did things big.
    • Magistracy of Canopus
Red Dawn
« on: 31 January 2011, 12:01:32 »
My group and I are planning on starting our campaign based on the movie Red Dawn.
We were inspired because there will hilariously be both a Chinese and Russian antagonist version of the movie soon!

The plan is for them to be of late high-school age when the Capellans invade (probably a Federated Suns planet).
We'll start with the high-school teacher but end up with the characters stealing mechs and eventually trying to find a way off planet.

It'll be a 3025 era campaign so an invasion at the end of the 3rd succession war would  be ideal.

Do any battletech history buffs know of a canon planet that fits our story?
« Last Edit: 31 January 2011, 15:13:44 by CPLT-C1 »
So you're saying it's Cold War era sci-fi war machines?

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Re: Red Dawn
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2011, 12:57:05 »
I'm not enough of a Btech grognard to suggest a canon planet for you, but I think that's a great idea for a campaign!  I little rag-tag outfit in the mountains shooting up convoys and scrounging for supplies is awesome.  I ran a similar campaign with an old system called Twilight: 2000 a few months ago (set in modern times) and it was great fun. 

One of my best computer-game memories was an expansion called Resistance for Operation: Flashpoint.  More than any other game it really captured that Red Dawn feel of being an outgunned and ill-equipped guerilla outfit sticking it to an invading army.  The open-world sandbox nature of it made it seem like you could almost anything, but almost anything would also get you killed.  I've been wanting to try the spiritual modern successor to it, Arma 2, to see if it still captures those same feelings.

BTW your namesake is my favorite mech!   [rockon]

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2011, 15:08:32 »
TWILIGHT 2000, now that brings back some old gaming memories.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2011, 15:23:42 »
Just about any planet on the border. Take a look at the old FASA Liao Source book on the downloads pages of BT, It will have planets, and forces on the planets.

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
  • Hollis Incorporated did things big.
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2011, 17:09:48 »
Just about any planet on the border. Take a look at the old FASA Liao Source book on the downloads pages of BT, It will have planets, and forces on the planets.

I think we'll use Homestead, the name has a proper down home feel.
It shows as always a Capellan Confederation planet, but we'll just say during the end of the Third Succession War it belonged to the Federated Suns and during the character's time it was taken back.

If the players want to be Free Worlds League then I'm thinking Old Kentucky. If I used the same 'took it back' story it would probably fit as Marik wouldn't want to throw a lot of military to get a hunting vacation world 'back'.

Does anyone know of any official history that either contradicts, or can flesh out one of those two planets?
So you're saying it's Cold War era sci-fi war machines?

OmegaAce

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2011, 22:52:41 »
Loved twilight 2000

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2011, 18:47:25 »
I ran something like this once, except all of the players were military cadets during a planet scale civil war. Worked pretty well.

Winterborn

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2011, 23:15:22 »
Twilight 2000 now that was a fun game, it was also insanely lethal as well, char creation was fun if a bit tedious.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2011, 02:20:41 »
Ya, it was tedious but damn if it was/is run properly, It's a helluva lotta fun to play  :) 8).
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Register