Author Topic: Nobles and money  (Read 1227 times)

Dunia

• Corporal
  • Cute, deadly and with 2 PPCs. Fear me.
Nobles and money
« on: 14 August 2017, 15:13:41 »
I am curious and confused.

I dont really understand the rules about property and landhold income.

Say I have a Baron with (Title 4) who happens to be a Lieutenant in Steiner Military (Rank 3).

According to Companion, page 250 it is an average land of 1200 sq km with an avg annual personal income of 400'000 C-Bills.

Does this mean that I get 400'000 C-Bills per year in pure money or will I get 5% of that from the Landholder's income = 20'000 annualy?
My mother and father met in a Mechwarrior RPG game, I am a Battletech Born Brat :)

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: Nobles and money
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2017, 09:55:34 »
From what I understand he gets that 400,000 C bills and his police / military forces gets four times that number . Depending on the theater of his holdings he may have to sink part or all of the income due him to augment this . 1.2 million C bills can maintain easily 6 million in hardware which is about a company of cheap combat vehicles .

Minchandre

• Corporal
Re: Nobles and money
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2017, 13:02:25 »
As an aside, don't forget that your character should have the Property trait as well.  For 1,200 square kilometers (the number the Companion quotes as being ordinary for a Baron, Title 4), you'd need it at 7 points.  Below that would indicate smaller than average holdings (not unusual).  Lacking it entirely could indicate a landless title (also not unusual), or a title whose fief was conquered (e.g. a Tamar Pact noble).

But yes, you would then get about 400,000 C-bills a year "deposited into your bank account", which I always interpreted to be above and beyond what's spent for ordinary maintenance - this is after you've paid all of your employees, maintained the grounds, purchased weapons and ammo for the local guard, etc.

In practice, though, you shouldn't really track that number on a day to day basis.  Rather, simply use it to mean that your character can buy whatever he wants within reason.  Your character doesn't save and scrimp in order to buy a Blazer; he simply decides he wants one and buys it.  A fancy hoverbike?  Sure, why not.  Don't go crazy, but don't even bother tracking things that cost less than about 1,000 C-bills, and allow more expensive items "within reason".  Your baron might not think twice about buying a hoverbike, but it's not like he can buy 10 on the spur of the moment, and military vehicles definitely require some consideration.

EDIT: I just realized that this is covered in the rules starting on page 53 of the Companion ("WEALTH AND EQUIPPED SPECIAL TRAIT CHECKS")
« Last Edit: 26 August 2017, 19:36:00 by Minchandre »