Author Topic: (Answered) Quickstrike Criticals  (Read 1926 times)

Itinerant Hobbyist

• Corporal
(Answered) Quickstrike Criticals
« on: 19 April 2012, 12:29:41 »
Played through my first full game of Quickstrike. Most of my questions are answered by previous posts.
I want to verify I did the following correctly:
For every "circle" of structural damage taken in a turn I would roll on the critical table?

(as I'm typing this, I'm reading pg 407. Looks as though I did it incorrectly. I should have rolled once, no matter the number of circles checked in a turn. But then step 6 is somewhat confusing: "Does the damage from a single attack exceed the Element's damage threshold?
If yes then roll on the critical table - s
If it exceeds the Element's damage threshold then wouldn't it be destroyed?)

That was confusing. It only get's worse:
Auto cannons - armor piercing - if I hit and my AC does 2 damage would I get to roll the 2D6 twice (looking for a 10) to test for a critical hit? Or, would it be just once.

I have a follow up question but it will vary depending on the answer to these two questions.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:26:12 by Xotl »

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Quickstrike Criticals
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2012, 12:10:23 »
Played through my first full game of Quickstrike. Most of my questions are answered by previous posts.
I want to verify I did the following correctly:
For every "circle" of structural damage taken in a turn I would roll on the critical table?

Roll one critical per attack (not per point of damage) that hits structure.

(as I'm typing this, I'm reading pg 407. Looks as though I did it incorrectly. I should have rolled once, no matter the number of circles checked in a turn. But then step 6 is somewhat confusing: "Does the damage from a single attack exceed the Element's damage threshold?
If yes then roll on the critical table - s
If it exceeds the Element's damage threshold then wouldn't it be destroyed?)

Damage threshold is referring to an aerospace only stat.  The ground unit equivalent is BAR special ability.  Aerospace (or ground unit with BAR special ability) can take criticals even while they still have armor, if it exceeds their damage threshold. Damage Threshold is not the same as Armor.

That was confusing. It only get's worse:
Auto cannons - armor piercing - if I hit and my AC does 2 damage would I get to roll the 2D6 twice (looking for a 10) to test for a critical hit? Or, would it be just once.

Yes, if a special ability like BAR, Damage Threshold or Armor-piercing ammo gives the ability to cause a critical hit, and it hits structure, then there are two critical hit rolls.  Step 5 on p230 has the critical hit for structure being hit, and then specifies that you check step 6 which is possible critical hit for BAR or damage threshold.

I have a follow up question but it will vary depending on the answer to these two questions.

Ask away.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.