Author Topic: Company sized units  (Read 4908 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
Company sized units
« on: 31 March 2015, 17:33:22 »
So I have  PC that will get a Company sized unit command iin the 3140's era and well he is an savant when it comes to tactics and strategy and would love ideas for a 'exotic' unit that uses exotic tactics, as he is an innovator on such things.

He has Nat Apt Tactics and Nat Apt Strategy and well let's get some ideas rolling.

Thanks
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Archangel

• Major
Re: Company sized units
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2015, 18:27:24 »
Belongs in non-canon unit forum.

That said - why not one of the RAF's black ops units that conducts raids beyond the Fortress walls?  Not only do they have to conduct raids without being caught but they also can't allow themselves to be identified as RAF units so they have to act as though they were part of one faction or another including combat tactics, sometimes switching between multiple factions over a series of planetary raids.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2015, 18:43:56 »
Well the game is an AToW campaign :-)

That is interesting, but he is far from stealthy, he can easily adapt tactics based on the opponent.

Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2015, 19:13:40 »
Sounds perfect for a RAF false flag unit - you're raiding Kurita space dressed to look Davion: you've got to be prepared to counter Drac tactics.
You're raiding the Wolves next? Adapt your unit and tactics to face them.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2015, 06:13:39 »
Assymetric lances.

It's a bit hard to be too exotic with a company's worth, but consider lances/platoons that mix unit types & roles.

Eg. a Hunchback, Phoenix Hawk, LRM Carrier, and a Warrior. All different movement & fire profiles. One usually doesn't use that much of a mix because it would take a tactical genius to get the most out of it ;) The Hunchback is the "point of the spear", the Phoenix Hawk is the potential threat/flanker, the LRM carrier is fragile fire support, and the VTOL is scout/harrasser.

Or a Locust, Pegasus, Crow and Hetzer. The lighter units sucker opponents into the Hetzer's ambush.

Not saying these would be easy to use on the battlefield, mind you.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2015, 06:19:04 »
Assymetric lances.

It's a bit hard to be too exotic with a company's worth, but consider lances/platoons that mix unit types & roles.

Eg. a Hunchback, Phoenix Hawk, LRM Carrier, and a Warrior. All different movement & fire profiles. One usually doesn't use that much of a mix because it would take a tactical genius to get the most out of it ;) The Hunchback is the "point of the spear", the Phoenix Hawk is the potential threat/flanker, the LRM carrier is fragile fire support, and the VTOL is scout/harrasser.

Or a Locust, Pegasus, Crow and Hetzer. The lighter units sucker opponents into the Hetzer's ambush.

Not saying these would be easy to use on the battlefield, mind you.

W.

Not easy is fine, as the character is designed to handle things like that, even if hard, to him it is like being a conductor of an orchestra

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2015, 09:13:27 »
Had the same idea , but it was the Clan invasion Era through the Jihad ERA . I used a combination of TAG and C3 to get the combined arms heavy hitting I wanted. Sadly that combination requires more than a company to do right. For something like a company size I came up with the Shining Host idea 12 mechs 4 modified Sugenjia C3 Master heavies and 8 Rifleman type heavies . All with laser reflective armor and a C 3 remote improved One Shot Launcher for the fourth channel . The first round of combat involves running 6 and shooting a C 3 remote sensor pod to short or nearly short range to the enemy.

acefalcon

• Recruit
  • Still catching this runaway "Celerity"
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2015, 11:33:35 »
Combined arms are not IMHO very good for RPG purposes.
All hail Devlin Stone!

Hitting a Celerity with an ironbirch stump is the same as hitting an ironbirch stump with a Celerity

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2015, 18:14:32 »

They are fine and can bring more flavor to the table.  It really depends upon how the GM uses the different skills/abilities/experiences/knowledge that the different types bring to the table.  For example, an aerospace pilot caught out of his element could use his piloting skills to help a player group escape from an enemy base by piloting an enemy VTOL.  Or if the campaign takes the player group into the wilderness with no transportation and no supplies, who is going to be a greater asset an elite MechWarrior/AeroSpace pilot or an infantryman who was taught as a child how to survive in the wild by his pappy?  Or if one needs to get information from conventional soldiers, who are they more likely to trust and provide intel to, one of those privileged MechWarriors or another grunt?
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

acefalcon

• Recruit
  • Still catching this runaway "Celerity"
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2015, 05:00:59 »
For example, an aerospace pilot caught out of his element could use his piloting skills to help a player group escape from an enemy base by piloting an enemy VTOL.
Will he possess an appropriate subskill to fly a VTOL? Mechwarriors have Piloting too

Or if the campaign takes the player group into the wilderness with no transportation and no supplies, who is going to be a greater asset an elite MechWarrior/AeroSpace pilot or an infantryman who was taught as a child how to survive in the wild by his pappy?
Is it unknown for Mechwarriors to be grown in the wild? Or for the infantrymen to be a city-dwellers?
Or if one needs to get information from conventional soldiers, who are they more likely to trust and provide intel to, one of those privileged MechWarriors or another grunt?
Anyone can have Acting skill good enough.

As for me, I've seen some Mechwarrior PC's that were better in covert ops and criminal investigation than as Mechwarriors. Also when you are playing combined force, you are in need of dozen NPCs: all those tankers and infantrymen players may want to interact with. I have an expirence of playing an armour lance commander in mixed company, and it was a lot of useless job both for GM and for me to invent and remember all of my men
All hail Devlin Stone!

Hitting a Celerity with an ironbirch stump is the same as hitting an ironbirch stump with a Celerity

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2015, 09:47:51 »

In the game I am in Combined Arms is very good actually, as it is the Dark Ages and mechs aren't exactly everywhere, even if the unit he is with has a bunch of them.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2015, 05:44:14 »
Given that such a game is not going to be BV balanced you can at least use the Vehicle Effectiveness rules from TacOps, about page 108

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2015, 15:08:35 »
Combined arms is fine, especially with resource challenged time like 3140s. 

I've been number of games, frankly one thing if your doing rpg run i would suggest one thing if your going to use Total Warfare/Tac Ops,

Use the VEHICLE EFFECTIVENESS on page 107 of Tactical Operations, specifically Critical and Motive hit tables.  It's a really simple thing to allow expensive vehicle still functional in a campaign.  It removes one crit location and one motive location. 

As for a force, depending if your piecing together unit made from a faction or going what available to Merc market.
Optimized I'd get a lance of Kurita Narukami Heavy Tanks if you can get them.  Their tough and durable. Costs maybe little expensive, due to armor and engine, but their very survivable. You could also try for some  Kinnol Main Battle Tank and Kelswa tanks to anchor your force.

As for Mechs I'd try stay mobile as possible, possibly have 6 of them verse 8,  mix in some Squads  Infiltrator Mk. II or Longinus with MagClamps to secure objectives.    Medium and Light Mechs in this era aren't too bad in comparison to older era ones.  Though having a single heavy that's speedy may be a good one too.

« Last Edit: 14 July 2015, 15:18:32 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2015, 22:03:34 »
I have GM this type of game in just about all of the ver. of mechwarrior.
and i have to say that it can be fun, but its hell on the GM.
The number of NPC is off the charts.
now this was fine in MW1-2, but 3-4 it does tend to generate more work For the GM.
also company size units tend to be to small for a good Combined Arms Unit.
I would go with
1x company of mechs (2x Battle lance,1x Heavy or Assault)
1x company of Tanks (1-2x Light recon,1x artillery,0-1x Heavy or Assault)
1x company of Infanrty (For city fighting)
and about 6 aerospace fighters( for cover)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2015, 22:15:00 »
Now for NPC
I say Heavy use of the Arctype system.
I would stat out most if not all the Mechwarriors
At lease one of the tank commanders (company commander)
The squadron commander for the AS fighters
and the Inf.commander or all if a battle armor unit.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2015, 22:31:06 »
I like the idea of the beyond the fortress raiding.

Set up for that new DS they have.  (Name escapes me but I love the stats of it.)

4x  Ares Tri-Omni  (2-3-0)
2x Posiden Tri-Mech  (3-5-0)
2x Assault/Heavy Mechs  (3-5-0 or better)
4x  Recon Drone Mechs, IIRC, Celerity?

I think the Dropship also carries an L2 of BA as well so you can have multiple PC's for running BA missions v/s Mech Missions?
The 8 Omni's above can move all the BA around.

Alternate configuration could be 2x Ares, 2x Posiden w/ 4 Slots for a Medium/Heavy Lance?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2015, 05:29:03 »
Sweet

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming

Thanks again

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2015, 23:28:56 »
Ouch this is a tough one . Every affiliation has different tactical doctrines or variations there of . The two points of commonality for the Dark Age is Combined arms and really poor intelligence to work with  .  It also has a great deal of new hardware in which people in these forums have been hashing ideas in an attempt to not get there head's handed to them by someone using 3095 tech that they use with very practiced ease because of ignorance of how best to use the new stuff .  The easy way to get whay you want is have a battalion  of mechs with 2 companies of Omnis and one dedicated company for LZ defense . Have one company of heavily armed mediums and one of Heavy Calvary . Choose Pod configuration by theater optimizing against the opposition forces. If you have a lot experience .  With an average speed of 5 /8 it would permit you to show your ability.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2015, 11:00:46 »
It depends on what you want for the orgin of the unit. 

Merc units have it really rough in 3130s-3140s, especially with collapse of the hpg.  Merc hating Republic is mainly out of the picture.  So Galatea good starting point.

I'd definitely try get character with Edge to them and Tactics high enough to get bonus to your initiative.

I personally found the Kurita and crazy enough Liao base units in the Dark Age superior to alot units.  Republic has cream of crop but their expensive to repair if you get ubber ones.

To keep it company size make it transportable, i'd still vote you keep it 4-6 mechs, with 4 vehicles, possibly a recovery vehicle on top of it.  Support vehicles stink in regular combat, but their awesome in rpg campaigns when you secure the battlefield.

Jiffy is a good salvage vehicle.

FedSuns militia survivors would be good force mix as well Kurita and Republic units.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2015, 11:55:28 »
For a non-RAF force, I'd consider expanding the "Company" to "Reinforced/Omega" level and mixing it up.

Command Lance = 4 Mechs  (Heavy/Medium - Ranged Weapons)
Other Lance = 4 Mechs  (Heavy/Medium - Close Weapons/JJ's)
Support Lance = Heavy/Assault Tanks = Artillery, LRMs, Gauss, etc etc.
Strike Lance = Hovers (Maybe 3 + 1 Vtol)
Insertion Platoon = BA Squad, BA Squad, Karnov-BA, Karnov-BA
Foot Infantry Platoon
Jump Infantry Platoon
Aero Fighter Squadron  (6 Fighters)

Now you have a "small battalion" operating out of an Overlord (Vehicle) that stripped out some mech bays for Infantry & Cargo space.

Or if that is too large, You could drop it down to Union in size & have it be 4 mechs, 2 fighters, & only 8 vehicles w/ half the Infantry amount (Jump Platoon + 1 BA still = 4 Squads) to keep you in an official "Re-inforced = 4 Lances/Platoons" sized Company.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 29 September 2015, 07:52:21 »
Again I am loving the ideas, though have to admit Hellraiser your idea is close to what I am thinking

From what I understand in the game I am in I can do 3 reinforced lances, so with that being said

Command Lance [4 Assault/Heavy Mechs and 2 Squads BA]
Battle Lance [4 Assault-Medium Mechs, slower designs, prob 4/6 though not slower and 2 Armored Vehicles]
Strike Lance [4 Heavy/Medium Mechs 5/8/5 min movement and 2 VTOL's for moving the BA]

I would personally love to have more BA, but don't think it would be possible.

The unit, when formed will have little issue getting equipment, they have it in abundance, the issue is men to pilot things

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 04 October 2015, 22:18:27 »
Command Lance [4 Assault/Heavy Mechs and 2 Squads BA]
Battle Lance [4 Assault-Medium Mechs, slower designs, prob 4/6 though not slower and 2 Armored Vehicles]
Strike Lance [4 Heavy/Medium Mechs 5/8/5 min movement and 2 VTOL's for moving the BA]

Since you have no aerospace in the TO&E, I would suggest using a Fortress.
The BA can sleep in the Infantry Bays easy enough, they just lack cubicles for rapid deployment.
But hey, that is why they suit up early & ride about aboard the Vees or holding onto Omnis.

Also, I'd swap the Tanks & BA around in those lances.  The BA can deploy holding onto faster mechs.
Meanwhile the Tanks are slowed down by terrain & best used w/ the Assault mechs.

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 09 October 2015, 04:04:42 »
If you want true exotics, dig up the REALLY niche weapons:

- Thumper / Sniper / Longtom cannons (not artillery):  Can even be house ruled to use artillery ammunition, despite being direct fire:  Completely different firing mechanics (target the hex/ground, not the target, but in direct LOS)
 - Centurion Weapon Systems:  So obscure they can't even be found easily on Sarna, they are none the less capable of shutting down 'mechs and even DROPSHIPS.  Just make sure to bring some heat-causing weapons and a lot of them, they aren't easy to knock someone out (but once you do you can keep them that way indefinitely).
 - Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles:  It's an LBX/15 - it's a Gauss Rifle - it's the Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle! 
 - 'mech bolos:  Always worth looking into when you want odd, exotic weapons.
 - The Blue Shield:  Another oddball tech lost to the pages of history, the Blue Shield causes a huge lightning storm to emerge around your 'mech, and then it takes -half- damage from all PPC attacks.  It's got a bunch of rules about operation, of course.

... and of course, there's always pretty much everything in Unbound, from VR head displays to torso mounted cockpits.  I'd also recommend Solaris: The Reaches if you're looking for a huge list of potential really screwball modifications.  Those are both set many years before your campaign, but none of the techs ever caught on, and would make you stand out really odd.

Most of this stuff (sans CWS, that's from an Interstellar Players book) can be found on sarna.net, with references to the books they're from.  But I bet money most players never even have heard of this gear, let alone made it apart of their campaign.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 12 October 2015, 03:41:21 »
If you want true exotics, dig up the REALLY niche weapons:

- Thumper / Sniper / Longtom cannons (not artillery):  Can even be house ruled to use artillery ammunition, despite being direct fire:  Completely different firing mechanics (target the hex/ground, not the target, but in direct LOS)

Great Anti-everything weapons, absolutely destroys BA in one shot, especially the Long Tom cannon

- Centurion Weapon Systems:  So obscure they can't even be found easily on Sarna, they are none the less capable of shutting down 'mechs and even DROPSHIPS.  Just make sure to bring some heat-causing weapons and a lot of them, they aren't easy to knock someone out (but once you do you can keep them that way indefinitely).

If I could only convince the GM

- Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles:  It's an LBX/15 - it's a Gauss Rifle - it's the Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle! 

Interestingly enough, we use them already

- 'mech bolos:  Always worth looking into when you want odd, exotic weapons.

Hmmn, been a while since I heard of these,

- The Blue Shield:  Another oddball tech lost to the pages of history, the Blue Shield causes a huge lightning storm to emerge around your 'mech, and then it takes -half- damage from all PPC attacks.  It's got a bunch of rules about operation, of course.

They have one heck of a trade off though, if they get critted they blow up, iirc.

... and of course, there's always pretty much everything in Unbound, from VR head displays to torso mounted cockpits.  I'd also recommend Solaris: The Reaches if you're looking for a huge list of potential really screwball modifications.  Those are both set many years before your campaign, but none of the techs ever caught on, and would make you stand out really odd.

Most of this stuff (sans CWS, that's from an Interstellar Players book) can be found on sarna.net, with references to the books they're from.  But I bet money most players never even have heard of this gear, let alone made it apart of their campaign.

Register