Author Topic: Looking for Feedback on my Sculpts!  (Read 6037 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
Looking for Feedback on my Sculpts!
« on: 25 January 2017, 20:27:10 »
Hello forumites!

As many of you may know, I work as a sculptor for IWM, and I now have 12 sculpts available from the IWM store, on top of two more that will be coming in the next two quarters.  With that, I think that enough people have seen and/or bought minis that I have sculpted, and I am hoping for some feedback!

I want to know what people like and don't like about the minis I have sculpted.  Part counts, details, paintability, anything.  I want to make sure my future minis are the best they possibly can be, and knowing what you all like is the way to ensure that.

With that, these are the minis I have sculpted:

-Hound
-Thor II (and Variants)
-Roadrunner
-Arion
-Centurion Resculpt (and Variants)
-Gravedigger
-Arctic Wolf II
-Wusun Microfighter
-Ostrogoth Microfighter
-Pendragon (and Variants)
-Centurion Omni (and Variants)
-Chimera Resculpt (and Variants)

And here is a group shot of them all!

Let me know what you think!

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
Re: Looking for Feedback on my Sculpts!
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2017, 21:06:32 »
It's a bit embarrassing to say that I don't think I've had the opportunity to build one of your models.  With that being said, you've got some big wins under your belt(in my book).

I'll start off by saying that the 'Mechs you were tasked with are not particularly handsome, so you're already fighting from the ground.

The microfighters are spot on.

The new Chimera is probably your best work.  It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into getting the proportions of that one right.  A tremendous improvement over the previous sculpt, and the option for a variant is always a +1 in my book.

The Pendragon was the biggest disappointment for me.  When I saw the art, I was hoping that we'd get more dynamic legs for Templar application.  Point in fact, my biggest critique with your work is the relatively static legs.  Not on all of your sculpts - the Hound and Thor both feature legs slightly staggered for a more dynamic pose.  It's a tough balancing act to keep parts count down while keeping footprint inside of a hex, but legs that mirror each other with straight knees don't communicate "walking tank" very well.

The Arctic Wolf II always strikes me for how close to the art is it.  When you put the image of the miniature next to the TRO image, it's hard as hell to find variation.  Fact, I think it might be one of if not the most faithful to the art, which is no small feat.  I dig that.

It's only a matter of time until my model needs catches up to one of your sculpts(and frankly that's going to happen a lot sooner now that you posted this really neat thread), and I'm looking forward to getting hands on your work.

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2017, 22:06:06 »
Hi Stinger,

First, I'll just say your modeling skills are great - you've really managed to capture the look and feel per the TRO artwork while sacrificing little on detail, other than what might need to be curbed for practical casting reasons.

I've put together only the new Centurion so far - it's a nice build with lots of options with the feet/legs/torso. I also have a Thor II in the pipeline and am planning to get copies of the Chimera, Roadrunner and Arctic Wolf II. Obviously, assembly is made a bit more difficult with more parts and greater poseability. The only suggestion I would have is from a practical point of making sure models can be pinned sufficiently without having to resort to drilling holes and inserting wires, but this is only a personal nitpicky suggestion.

The only other comment I'd have is that the look of a sculpt is really dependent on the source artwork. I really can't stand the Pendragon design, but this isn't your fault - you're using the material you've been given. Perhaps it can be suggested to CGL/IWM they give the sculpt artists a bit more leeway in making aesthetic decisions...

That being said, it's great to see Battletech artwork and sculpts taking on a much more modern look. Overall, I think it's great that the new sculpts and the re-seen have both caught up to the 21st century. Looking forward to seeing more!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2017, 22:13:20 »
I am waiting for the FLGS to get setup with IWM so I can order the Centurion. Once I can get my hands on the new sculpt I shall post feedback.

Though based solely on the the picture the gun arm does look a little too long for the D variant. Pictures are a pain though so may be wrong..

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2017, 22:43:53 »
First, I like all of them.  I have all of them including the variants.

Second, high part counts don't scare me.  They increase pose variation.  I like that.

Third, you incorporate a lot of detail but still have a lot of nice flat painting surfaces without a ton of panel lines.  A good thing.

Fourth, I agree with HMS regarding static legs.  But I find this to be true only on the Pendragon and the Gravedigger.  I'm not afraid to hack into a knee joint to mod but even a little bend makes a huge improvement in perceived motion.  And it saves me time.

Fifth, I'm okay with a little scale creep.  I actually like the larger and bulkier minis IWM is leaning towards but this brings me to my least favorite minis of yours.  The Arctic Wolf II.  For a 40 ton mech it's both tall and wide.  (It's also blocky but that's not your fault; its the arts.). This thing looks like an assault mech on the table.  Further, the leg stance is so wide you really need a flat hex base for it.  It won't fit on a standard raised edge hex base without some heavy modification.  Trust me, I just constructed five on IWM standard metal bases.  It's a pain. 

Finally, my favorites are the Thor variants.  Awesome.  Followed by the Roadrunner.  I love models that break the mech mold.  The Roadrunner has a unique style and look that I appreciate.  You captured the art well on these.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Mike

Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2017, 07:32:20 »
Thank you all for the feedback and keep it coming!

I am going to provide commentary on two things, then I'll shut up and let you guys talk :)

Pendragon/Gravedigger Legs: So both these 'Mechs actually have a bit of experimental legs, and I take it most did not like them.  They are two pieces, but the pieces are an upper leg/lower leg instead of a more standard leg/foot.  And I can tell you that it's easiest just to pose them standing up, though it is technically possible to make them a bit more dynamic.  Has anyone else assembled either of these 'Mechs with bent knees? I know that I personally have not assembled my copies, except I bent the knees very slightly on my Pendragon.  Needless to say, we probably won't see legs like this in the future. Thank you!

Arctic Wolf II Scale: For those who are not familiar, this one had some really weird issues with the 3D print IWM used as the master for their mold.  No one knows where the process went wrong, and it is too expensive to fix it right now (for a relatively unpopular 'mech).  But overall, it stands 20% too tall.  Precautions have been taken to prevent it from happening again. To quote the great Han Solo: "It's not my fault!"

Thank you all and keep it coming!
« Last Edit: 26 January 2017, 07:37:07 by Stinger »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2017, 09:27:34 »
Er... These are just terrible. Yeah... Absolutely awful. Maybe it's the photos, the camera never does it justice. Tell you what, send me one of each and I'll figure it out when they're in my hands.  ^-^

Nah, kidding aside, they all look pretty great. The only one I actually own right now is a Roadrunner (still unassembled, it's one of my weekend projects), and I'm trying to hunt down a couple of Thor IIs (THOR HARDER), probably a Pendragon and Centurion as well. I hate to give assessments on stuff I don't actually own, but based on the photos- and on your past work- I expect very few complaints on my end. Keep up the good work, sir!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2017, 12:38:41 »
Thank you all for the feedback and keep it coming!

Pendragon/Gravedigger Legs: So both these 'Mechs actually have a bit of experimental legs, and I take it most did not like them.  They are two pieces, but the pieces are an upper leg/lower leg instead of a more standard leg/foot.  And I can tell you that it's easiest just to pose them standing up, though it is technically possible to make them a bit more dynamic.  Has anyone else assembled either of these 'Mechs with bent knees? I know that I personally have not assembled my copies, except I bent the knees very slightly on my Pendragon.  Needless to say, we probably won't see legs like this in the future. Thank you!

As someone currently hacking apart Templar legs to try and get them more flexible, I was excited to read this.  To be honest, I assumed the legs were that shock-straight rigid look based on the IWM photo.  Knowing that they're not makes me want to place an order just for the legs.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2017, 13:16:04 »
Lets see, Hound, Pendragon, both Centis, Roadrunner, and have the Chimera K on order.  All are built and primed, and I went with static standing leg poses but with a bit of splay since I'm not that big of a poser. 

I liked them alot, and thanks for the work!

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2017, 13:38:37 »
As someone currently hacking apart Templar legs to try and get them more flexible, I was excited to read this.  To be honest, I assumed the legs were that shock-straight rigid look based on the IWM photo.  Knowing that they're not makes me want to place an order just for the legs.

Technically, this pose is very doable with the Pendragon:

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2017, 13:43:31 »

Ditto. It actually makes me much more interested in going out to buy a Pendragon this year.

Before learning that, I was going to comment that the nice thing about the legs is that they match the artwork, but the disappointing thing about the legs is that they match the artwork.

Now I want to see if I can build one in a less rigid posture without putting in too much work.   [cheers]

ETA: Based on your photo, I will make this comment: Given the choice, I really like ball-and-socket hip joints for 'mechs, because I like to be able to pose the legs out of plane with each other.

I also like two-piece torsos which allow me to pose 'mechs with an active torso twist without breaking out the razor saw.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2017, 13:47:00 by klarg1 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2017, 14:44:04 »

What I think:

You should do a Vulture IV resculpt, on basis of the TRO3145-Merc cover, because you really know how to do justice to art.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2017, 15:12:41 »
What I think:

You should do a Vulture IV resculpt, on basis of the TRO3145-Merc cover, because you really know how to do justice to art.

Yes please! (and an Uziel and a Thanatos)

The only one of your sculpts I have purchased so far is the Chimera. It is a wonderful resculpt that does the art great justice and is fun to build. I was a huge fan of the new mechs in Mechwarrior 4 when it came out, but the minis for them were very underwhelming.

Looking forward to getting some more in the future.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2017, 15:26:43 »
Crap, Matt... Interesting post, but wow! Loads of great feedback. And, all within just a day's time, too. I'm impressed (and envious, if honest).

I agree with HMS_Swift in that the Chimera is your best work to date. But then, I've said as much in other places. So, you already know I really dig your work on the prime. Just compare it to the original sculpt, and you can quickly see all the time and effort you put into getting the proportions/details just-so. It's a fantastic miniature. One that speaks volumes for itself. Honestly, It's very close to Alex's level of OCD modeling work. Well done, man. I'm not as big a fan of the alt. config. Mostly because the blade feels like an afterthought. I can tell you were not as excited with this one.

Now, on to the mech I'm personally a bit disappointed with. The Summoner. I was hoping this guy was going to be the miniature to replace all my other Summoner miniatures. However, the model does have a few shortcomings. Let me just say that the Summoner has been a favorite of mine from the very beginning. It was the very first mech I took into combat in the TT. Ever since; it's held a special place in my collection. Detail wise, I love the HQ box set plastic Summoner. Problem is; it's huge!! I was ideally hoping that the Grand Summoner sculpt would nicely drop a few pounds, but yet still feel bulky and intimidating (what with the addition of it's endo-steel chassis). To me though, it feels too thin, and on the small side, overall. The arms weapons pods especially seem thin after pressing (side to side). The canopy is flat (you were faithful to the art, but I tried to get you to stretch a little) and the ankle actuator sits too-far back on the foot vs the artwork. Lastly, it suffers from the same problem as mentioned above by a few others: a lack of pose-ability. Now, before the pitchforks; let me just say that it's not all bad news. I still own two of these (one I even converted into a Hel Prime). I just can't help but wish that the final product met my all my [admittedly ambitious] expectations. I was set to purchase a couple stars worth. Ok, so not really, but quite a few. For sure.

I still have yet to pick up a Hound. I think that the detail level is pretty sweet. It does feel pretty stiff, but I think it has enough material to be pose-able, with some light pinning. Anyway, you've shown steady growth. I hope the process continues to be fun for you. I've sort-of grown weary of a few things, but it's nice to see you and a few of the other new sculptors produce some exciting miniatures for our extended benefit. Thank you for all your efforts to bring awesomeness to the TT! Rock-on, brother.     

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2017, 09:20:04 »
Thank you all for the feedback again!

First, Pendragon.  The legs do go out of plane a bit without much issue.  They aren't perfect ball joints, but they are easy enough to adjust without any extra filing or drilling.  I highly recommend you pick one up and see for yourself!

Second, Thank you for the excellent post Justin :)  (Justin is IAMCLANWOLF for all those unaware). 

The Chimera (and the Arctic Wolf II for that matter) had a major advantage of being not only in MechWarrior 4, but also nearly the same in the game as their BattleTech line art.  So I literally started up the game and took a bunch of screenshots and used them as reference (in addition to the line art and a few other sources I found).  Made life really easy to make a really, really good mini.

As for the Thor II, I agree, it definitely has a lot of room for improvement.  I agree with everything you have mentioned about the Thor II.  Too thin of arms, ankle out of place, and a little thin.  Additionally, what most people have not noticed is that some of the details on the arms and the head disappeared due to not being deep enough.  I place that on my inexperience at the time.  Details should be much bolder in all of my more recent sculpts.

As for the Hound, I just built mine and I think you will be pleased :) Though one of the restrictions to it's posability is the arms running into the legs.  I had to keep the legs close to the hips to prevent that, and as such, they are a little less posable.

Now, as a general question to everyone, what would be the best way to make these more pose-able? Should I include larger ball joints on the hips? Should I pre-pose the legs so they are in more of a walking pose? Something else? I always try and do two piece legs so you can do a walking or standing pose, separate hips/torso for a torso twist, and some degree of arm posability, but they always remain a bit... static.  Any suggestions moving forward?

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2017, 10:33:16 »
I never repose my minis, don't have the time or talent.  I do not mind standing mech's because I seem them as icons.  But I do like a walking mech it just makes it more mean looking to me.  My personal opinion is I like a walking mech (pre posed legs) with a "twistable" torso and pose able arms.  Pose able heads are nice but not always possible.  It is nice to able to "lean" a mech forward or back so get it that should block look.  That gives you the quickest build and ability to get differences in your lance/star or add personality to the mech.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2017, 11:47:57 »
I like a good walking pose as well. Nothing too crazy on the parts count either. In fact, in some cases-- single piece legs/hips/feet are just fine. If I want something in a wild action pose, I'm generally happy to do the extra cutting-pinning myself. The trick is really getting a nice pose that makes the mech look natural AND menacing... >:D

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2017, 16:12:25 »
I have a couple of your sculpts (Rescult Centurion and Stabby Chimera) and plan on picking up the Centurion omni, Pendragon, YLW, and Roadrunner at some point. I havent assembled the centurion yet, long story. I will say I do like the Chimera variant. Only thing I will warn you about is to be careful if you go to pre-sculpted walking poses, lest you end up with the Devastator on your hands. Othrwise so far your work has been great.
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2017, 18:27:56 »
I don't think I've built or painted any of your sculpts but looking at them I feel that the posing does make them really awkward. Personally I hack things up and it fixes the problem of a static pose, but the very straight legs and narrow spacing shows up in a lot of the sculpts you posted.

IMO that look kills the effect of a hulking mech because you lose the sense of weight and balance. Any mech standing like that should be pretty easy to tip over. I'd say that with a static standing pose, spread the legs a bit and add a slight bend to the knee.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2017, 19:14:28 »
I don't think I've built or painted any of your sculpts but looking at them I feel that the posing does make them really awkward. Personally I hack things up and it fixes the problem of a static pose, but the very straight legs and narrow spacing shows up in a lot of the sculpts you posted.

IMO that look kills the effect of a hulking mech because you lose the sense of weight and balance. Any mech standing like that should be pretty easy to tip over. I'd say that with a static standing pose, spread the legs a bit and add a slight bend to the knee.

Are you referring to the Pendragon and Gravedigger or different sculpts?

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2017, 19:11:02 »
The pendragon, yes, but it was a general comment at the non chicken walker sculpts though most of the top row is better

fandangamo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2017, 19:32:47 »
The pendragon, yes, but it was a general comment at the non chicken walker sculpts though most of the top row is better

If you read up a bit you'll see that the Pendragon was done with jointed legs, the static poses you see are the result of unimaginative glue work unfortunately.

I can agree with your point on the Gravedigger, but looking at those Centurions I think the leg pose is good. They aren't exactly dynamic but the knees are bent, giving the look of a trooper 'mech bracing to fire. Combine this with the fact that the CN9 model represents a 'mech that travels at a top speed of 64kph and I think it looks spot on.
A.J. Harkness
CDT Agent #709
FLGS: Forbes Hobbies, Cambridge, ON

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2017, 00:54:55 »
First off, I have to say that there aren't any of your sculpts I've seen that I look at and think, "yuck!", so that is a good thing! Of the ones you've posted I've built two of the three Thor IIs, the gravedigger, both centurion Omnis, and the resculpt centurion. Of those, I like the centurion Omni the best, with the Thor II a close second. So far, I think the top half of the gravedigger is some of the best work I've seen you do. The bits for the cables and ammo feed were a nice addition that were easy to adjust for fit, and I think the proportion, detail, and resemblance to the art is spot on. The legs LOOK good, but they are ramrod-straight and very close together. Nothing I did with them looked very natural because they were locked out straight, and with the hips so narrow relative to the rest of the mech, I really wanted to put it into a walking or running pose.

I'll echo that I think mechs look better in motion, like walking or running. It's like pictures in car magazines: even a Camry looks better if you get a picture of it leaning through a corner instead of sitting still. I think the striding pose also helps hide any awkwardly sized hips that the original art may require as well. Setting up your legs for a more dynamic stance to start with, especially on the ones with humanoid legs, or at least putting more bend in the knees, would be a welcome change.

Other than that, I think you learned your lesson about details on the Thor II. It definitely feels like the torso is a little plain in some areas, but I still like the mini better than the original. I thought the detailing on the centurions was much better. For whatever reason, I feel like I was able to get some of the most pleasing poses out of the centurion Omni, of the mechs you've made. I thought the variants were well executed, although I really wanted the one with the hatchet and shield! I liked your attachment for the jump jets, although if that rail was just a mil or two wider it would have made magnetizing the jets easier...but that is probably a pretty niche complaint.

When it comes to your post-and-hole joints, I'm of two minds. They are certainly strong, and for the bigger, more boxy arms like the pendragon and Thor II B and torso to hip joints, I think they are great. However, there are times with the hips and shoulders where ball joints would allow for a wider range of angles for mounting. Especially where a mini has very narrow hips, I feel like ball joints help get a wider stance instead of forcing a more parade-rest look. For shoulders it's kind of a toss up. I kinda wanted them on the Thor II prime and the cent omni's fist arm, but didn't miss them in the centurion resculpt

I must give you extra kudos one one thing: you did a great job in the little cylinders on the cent Omni. I hated those things on the ghost, but they were super-easy to work with in the cent. I was very skeptical, but they were no trouble at all to install.

Lastly, I would like to suggest a couple minis to take a look at for ideas for leg and joint execution: the shoulders on the reseen Battlemaster are some of my favorite ball joints. You can't hardly make them look bad, and you have huge freedom in posing them if you want. For legs, I think the recent shadow hawk resculpt did a nice job of including a dynamic pose with a simple construction that didn't take many parts. Also, I think the Vulpes had very poseable, but very forgiving legs. I remember both of those as being pretty easy to put together into a decent looking pose. There are others as well, but I can't recall them at the moment.

In general, just keep up the good work. No one is perfect, but overall I like your style.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2017, 10:27:14 by sadlerbw »

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 29 January 2017, 16:19:32 »
Yeah, I am realizing the legs for the Gravedigger and Pendragon should have been done differently for sure.  It's just too difficult to get a good pose.  It's doable, but not simple.

You can get a bit of a dynamic standing pose, this is what I did for mine. Its definitely minor, but not straight legged.

« Last Edit: 29 January 2017, 21:32:28 by Stinger »

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2017, 17:22:31 »
Yeah, I may have been exaggerating a little bit, but it was giving me trouble. Oddly, the totally straight leg look on the hammerhands in your avatar looks good to me, but while straight, the legs are in quite a wide stance, and I think that is why it works. Both the pendragon and gravedigger have to deal with having really wide torsos. That always makes minis look a little funky when you put the legs in a just-standing-there position, at least in my opinion. It isn't just your designs either. I feel like most of the Celestials, the Bruin, the night wolf, and others have the same problem. The legs need to be doing something or it looks like they would tip over in a stiff breeze! To be fair though, the art on the gravedigger didn't make it easy. Those knees aren't doing much in the art either!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2017, 14:38:34 »
Now, as a general question to everyone, what would be the best way to make these more pose-able? Should I include larger ball joints on the hips? Should I pre-pose the legs so they are in more of a walking pose? Something else? I always try and do two piece legs so you can do a walking or standing pose, separate hips/torso for a torso twist, and some degree of arm posability, but they always remain a bit... static.  Any suggestions moving forward?

For posing:
I mentioned a lot of what I like to see: ball-and-socket hips, and twistable torsos. I think both of a long way to allow remove some of the hardest work of re-posing a mini*, without going crazy on part count to frustrate stock-builders.

Another feature I appreciate is fully-sculpted feet, with no integral base. It has the disadvantage of making an external base just about mandatory, but it removes another high-effort step with the dremel / razor saw. For big 'mechs, slicing an integral base from the feet can be a major chore. (IWM has been trending away from integral bases lately, but I am mentioning it for completeness.)

I am (surprisingly) not as big a fan of ball-and-socket shoulders. They can be fun for pose options, but I think they make assembly a bit more fiddle for a relatively small gain in customizability. I don't feel strongly, but I would go for a single-plane shoulder articulation.

For simple assembly:
I like to re-pose battlemechs, but that said, for non-posable, gamer-friendly models, I would suggest sculpting them in a more natural stance. Most modern minis are placed in a rigid "parked" position with the arms and legs in a perfectly straight pose. I would contrast that with some of the very earliest sculpts from the Partha days. Take a look at Julie Guthrie's sculpt for the unseen battlemaster. It's utterly non-posable (without a lot of effort), but it is in a very natural stance that (IMO) gives it much more presence than a stock reseen beemer.

I think a number of minis from the late 90's and early 2000's would have benefited from more of that kind of design.

(My $0.02 anyway)

* - Seriously. I once performed a radical pose-ectomy on a Devastator to place it into a walking pose, and it took *forever* to cut through the hip joints.  [metalhealth]

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #26 on: 30 January 2017, 17:30:16 »
For simple assembly:

Totally behind Klarg1's comments here. Heck, the high-quality plastic Beemer is one of the worse offenders. Yes, it's easy (for me) to repose - much easier than metal - but I'm not a normal BT fan ;)

One of the best examples of the last decade is, IMHO, the Reseen Archer. The legs are in a nice dynamic action pose. The torso can be pivoted, and the arms put in a variety of positions. Okay, some assembly is required, but pinning is not essential, nor is positioning a pile of pieces in the hope they'll dry the way you wanted them to.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Register