Author Topic: Re: Want to ask a Battletech Writer something? ---- Round 2!  (Read 7838 times)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Okay, after a year, (and needing grist for my blog), I am opening a new "Ask a Battletech Writer" thread. I see a few new faces and since this isn't anything different from last year's thread, here's the original post from a year ago:

I have a blog devoted to Battletech --- The Battletech State (Link in my sig file). I post a little bit of everything relating to Battletech, including 'Mech designs, a few AToW characters, and some of my pre-battlecorps author fanfiction. A couple of years back, I opened up a thread on the forum in which people could ask me questions, and I would take those questions (when I got enough of them) and answered them on my blog. So, I'm opening another thread to anyone who has a question about writing for Battletech or anything else related to the gaming universe with a couple of caveats:

First, I am limited by what I can discuss by my NDA with Catalyst Games Lab. So, I can't say anything about what's coming up, or any private discussions about the universe's future. (not that I know too much of the future plans to begin with....)

Second, it may take me a couple of days to answer some questions. I will answer the questions here and take the thread and transpose it to my blog in a future post.

Ask away!

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: Want to ask a Battletech Writer something? ---- Round 2!
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2015, 21:40:05 »
How do manuscript workshops go online typically for you guys and gals doing this?  Assuming of course that one has finished a decent draft (ie, not a rough draft) to turn in for a writing group. 

edit: For the sake of those lurkers and quiet folk here who would be most positively encouraged to understand and learn of it from a true source.  Sorry to spring the possible biggest question first.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2015, 17:12:53 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2015, 00:54:49 »
Interesting idea. Nice blog, by the way.

Not sure how this jives with any NDAs you might have signed, my apologies if this is something you can't discuss, but one question that hangs in my mind is how the "gray" areas of the universe are handled? By that I mean, are there specific guidelines for stories involving factions, worlds, and organizations that don't have a lot of current fluff to them? Or are writers more encouraged to stick to information "safe zones" and leave such matters to other products? Thanks!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2015, 09:58:18 »
How do manuscript workshops go online typically for you guys and gals doing this?  Assuming of course that one has finished a decent draft (ie, not a rough draft) to turn in for a writing group. 

edit: For the sake of those lurkers and quiet folk here who would be most positively encouraged to understand and learn of it from a true source.  Sorry to spring the possible biggest question first.

Okay.....

There is a on-line workshop, invitation only, for those writers seriously wanting to be published by Battlecorps. We have a good track record for stories.

The way the system is set up is a writer posts is story to the workgroup. The members take the story, go through it and looking for mistakes --- grammar, continuity, style --- and notes them. They then post their notes into the thread and the story's writer takes the notes and makes the changes. It may take two or three passes and several weeks (As we also have other things taking up our time --- jobs, family, social obligations, etc), but the stories are much better.

We do have a rough copy of a writer's primer that we really need to polish up and post somewhere. I'll see if we can do that soon.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2015, 10:25:06 »
Okay.....

There is a on-line workshop, invitation only, for those writers seriously wanting to be published by Battlecorps. We have a good track record for stories.

The way the system is set up is a writer posts is story to the workgroup. The members take the story, go through it and looking for mistakes --- grammar, continuity, style --- and notes them. They then post their notes into the thread and the story's writer takes the notes and makes the changes. It may take two or three passes and several weeks (As we also have other things taking up our time --- jobs, family, social obligations, etc), but the stories are much better.

We do have a rough copy of a writer's primer that we really need to polish up and post somewhere. I'll see if we can do that soon.

Craig

This inspires me to try writing something (short)

Although a lot of the inspiration comes from having a looming essay deadline for my Masters and being keen on doing anything else right now
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2015, 10:54:59 »
Interesting idea. Nice blog, by the way.

Not sure how this jives with any NDAs you might have signed, my apologies if this is something you can't discuss, but one question that hangs in my mind is how the "gray" areas of the universe are handled? By that I mean, are there specific guidelines for stories involving factions, worlds, and organizations that don't have a lot of current fluff to them? Or are writers more encouraged to stick to information "safe zones" and leave such matters to other products? Thanks!

There are few "gray" areas in the Battletech universe. Most of the stuff out there is in print, but there are a few things that aren't made public, and a lot more that that is kept from even the writers (For example, I have no idea what is going to happen after 3145). A few products like Interstellar Players, Interstellar Players  2, and the April Fools and Halloween products are not part of the core reference we writers use. My personal reference Battletech library takes up two bookshelves and 4.5GB of computer hard drive space.

The first thing I do is read up on everything I can find about the planet, faction and group that I can find. Worlds are the ones least likely to have a lot written up about them, but I need to check to make sure. That involves reading a number of different books. As for the major faction, they are fully written up. Minor factions have enough down that I can work with.

Creating factions and worlds is not the job of a story writers; that is he sourcebook writers (I wear both hats). For IP3, I created the New Delphi Compact. While it doesn't have the depth or the breath of a successor state Housebook, there's enough information there for a writer to write a story set in the Compact or a GM to base an adventure on. Most groups have enough written about them to use in a story.

Once a story is written and passes the first hurdle (Not being rejected by Battlecorps editor Jason Schmitzer), the story is sent to a group of fact-checkers (AKA, the Continuity Hooligans) who scour the story looking for problems. It is possible that something unknown to the writer will invalidate the story, or cause serious continuity problems that causes the story to either be junked entirely or need to be massively rewritten.

Personally, I try to stay away from those gray areas, There enough stories and enough background to write hundreds of stories without straying into unknown territory.

Hope that answer your question!

Craig

My Blogs!

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2015, 16:39:04 »
There are few "gray" areas in the Battletech universe. Most of the stuff out there is in print, but there are a few things that aren't made public, and a lot more that that is kept from even the writers (For example, I have no idea what is going to happen after 3145). A few products like Interstellar Players, Interstellar Players  2, and the April Fools and Halloween products are not part of the core reference we writers use. My personal reference Battletech library takes up two bookshelves and 4.5GB of computer hard drive space.

The first thing I do is read up on everything I can find about the planet, faction and group that I can find. Worlds are the ones least likely to have a lot written up about them, but I need to check to make sure. That involves reading a number of different books. As for the major faction, they are fully written up. Minor factions have enough down that I can work with.

Creating factions and worlds is not the job of a story writers; that is he sourcebook writers (I wear both hats). For IP3, I created the New Delphi Compact. While it doesn't have the depth or the breath of a successor state Housebook, there's enough information there for a writer to write a story set in the Compact or a GM to base an adventure on. Most groups have enough written about them to use in a story.

Once a story is written and passes the first hurdle (Not being rejected by Battlecorps editor Jason Schmitzer), the story is sent to a group of fact-checkers (AKA, the Continuity Hooligans) who scour the story looking for problems. It is possible that something unknown to the writer will invalidate the story, or cause serious continuity problems that causes the story to either be junked entirely or need to be massively rewritten.

Personally, I try to stay away from those gray areas, There enough stories and enough background to write hundreds of stories without straying into unknown territory.

Hope that answer your question!

Craig

It does, quite wonderfully. Thanks!  O0
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Avarice

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2015, 01:25:52 »
As a print reader, I'm wondering if you guys will keep publishing anthologies and hopefully larger arcs. Something about flipping pages never gets old; that analog feel is just... right? I feel detached reading from a screen, even on a TV, and I don't need a tablet in my life (smartphone suits me just fine).

As a teen, I dove into the novels and enjoyed the pulp feel that the setting had -and saw the writing mature along the way as more authors became involved and a changing of the guard transpired. Things became a little grim for me during Dark Age, and it felt like the Jihad arc was a puzzle I had to piece through but a novel in its own way -treating half the entries of the news/snippets as unreliable narrators in perspective.

Are there going to be novels that flesh out the Jihad and the Republic Period, especially the bit where Fortress Republic cracks open and Devlin Stone emerges on a Death Ride?

So much potential out there, from the ELH/Goliath Scorpion Exodus, how the Taurians reconciled, or the sundered FWL.

Loved how Reunification War, LoT, and Klondike were fleshed out and I guess the Succession Wars are on the table next, but a Historical on the Fall of the Republic would be awesome too if you guys had the rights to the Dark Age stuff(?) The Nais Atlas volumes and Historical: Brush Wars were my favorite books till Total Chaos came about to give things a tactical feel and sum up the Jihad period.

P.S. Thanks for the memories. I was angry at a lot of the developments as I first read long (reader attachment), but accept that heroism cannot exist without equivalent or greater evil/challenges and that empires, good or bad, rise and fall. Can't be a good story without tragedy and setbacks.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2015, 20:56:17 »
As a print reader, I'm wondering if you guys will keep publishing anthologies and hopefully larger arcs. Something about flipping pages never gets old; that analog feel is just... right? I feel detached reading from a screen, even on a TV, and I don't need a tablet in my life (smartphone suits me just fine).

As a teen, I dove into the novels and enjoyed the pulp feel that the setting had -and saw the writing mature along the way as more authors became involved and a changing of the guard transpired. Things became a little grim for me during Dark Age, and it felt like the Jihad arc was a puzzle I had to piece through but a novel in its own way -treating half the entries of the news/snippets as unreliable narrators in perspective.

Are there going to be novels that flesh out the Jihad and the Republic Period, especially the bit where Fortress Republic cracks open and Devlin Stone emerges on a Death Ride?

So much potential out there, from the ELH/Goliath Scorpion Exodus, how the Taurians reconciled, or the sundered FWL.

Loved how Reunification War, LoT, and Klondike were fleshed out and I guess the Succession Wars are on the table next, but a Historical on the Fall of the Republic would be awesome too if you guys had the rights to the Dark Age stuff(?) The Nais Atlas volumes and Historical: Brush Wars were my favorite books till Total Chaos came about to give things a tactical feel and sum up the Jihad period.

P.S. Thanks for the memories. I was angry at a lot of the developments as I first read long (reader attachment), but accept that heroism cannot exist without equivalent or greater evil/challenges and that empires, good or bad, rise and fall. Can't be a good story without tragedy and setbacks.

Thank you for your words...

Most of what you mention above is above my level of involvement. I want novels and long-form fiction, but that has to be decided at the company level, where I have no knowledge or input. While I don't know any details, I think there are roadblocks to novels happening, but as to what those roadblocks are and how long to overcome them, I have no clue.

If it was up to me (and it isn't), I would publish a series of Jihad novels, a novel series covering the Amaris Civil War, and a few set during the the Successor wars. What happens after 3145 I have no idea, nor do I know how the fiction for that is going to run. As of right now, we can write up to 3145, but no farther.

Novellas are a possibility, but Jason Schmitzer will only chose the best. And as hard as he is with short stories, novellas have to be flawless for him to buy it. Still if a story is good enough, he will buy it, regardless of what era it is in.

Hope that helps,

Craig

My Blogs!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2015, 02:08:19 »
Okay.....

Craig

Always informative.  I was sure you all go through surprisingly human processes, and still have lives to lead outside of writing.  It's good for the aspiring writers out there to understand that the processes you describe are far from arcane, but would actually be quite familiar to many, and as such, less daunting a prospect. 

Thanks for the care taken in response, sir.  edit:  And the primer/basic training manual sounds good, too.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2015, 02:11:02 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2015, 23:30:01 »
And in case you were wondering, here's the blog with the latest post!

http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/2015/04/april-update.html

Craig

My Blogs!

Avarice

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2015, 00:48:39 »
I surmised there may be a nightmare maze of licensing, as if staying within continuity across the decades was not hard enough. Probably why mercs were half the novels, then again half the developments and problems were from those merc novels ^_^. I wonder if this generator of writers ever gets frustrated at some of the first works that just set precedents that are either incredulous, dubious, or just a nightmare to work into, from, or around.

BTech has outlasted many of the franchises that it drew inspiration from, until Harmony Gold and Studio Nue/Big West (Robotech vs. Macross) comes to terms and BTech mirrors it, fusing Aerofighters/Battlemechs and WarShips/Battlemechs forever! Whoa, lost control there, nerded out, excuse me.

Here's to hoping a serial picks up enough steam to where it becomes a novel told through self-contained chapters/entries. Always looking for them to post on Amazon... to the point where I've debated picking up the unofficial German novels and just throwing them into the translator.

Just curious, the "Jihad" aspect draws from historical and current events and is not some grand homage to Dune? Pretty superficial coincidence, but it'd awesome to see a Sandworm statted out. Total Warfare Addendum: "Stuff 6D6 potatoes into a tube sock and drop directly onto battlefield against a targeted hex. Roll as per DFA."

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!

My Blogs!

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2015, 18:55:13 »
Craig, finding your blog is a blessing! I love how brief yet descriptive you are about what you do and it gives insight into a world I've always been interested yet always kept away from...

In your latest blog you say you cut away a scene and saved it for maybe later use, I find it fascinating! Is it too personal to ask how exactly you classify your material? When a story is unfortunately rejected, what do you do with it?

One last question: Are you working with an editor? I have part time friends that send their manuscripts to editors before sending them out to publishers, I must confess my main road block is that: the quality of my grammar since English isn't my first language.
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2015, 22:22:09 »
Craig, finding your blog is a blessing! I love how brief yet descriptive you are about what you do and it gives insight into a world I've always been interested yet always kept away from...

You're welcome. Granted, it's not a major peek behind the curtain, but I can tell you how I do things without violating my NDA.

In your latest blog you say you cut away a scene and saved it for maybe later use, I find it fascinating! Is it too personal to ask how exactly you classify your material? When a story is unfortunately rejected, what do you do with it?

I don't classify my saved scenes. I peruse them one in a while and see if the scene sparks an idea, or as an addition to a ongoing story I'm writing. As for the rejected stories, I hang onto them and let them simmer. There is one story I submitted that was rejected, so I stripped away everything except the basic situation of the story and rewritten it, using different characters, different location, and a different thrust. The stories are nothing alike except for the basic situation. The second story was published. But the second, successful story couldn't have come about unless the first story was written.

One last question: Are you working with an editor? I have part time friends that send their manuscripts to editors before sending them out to publishers, I must confess my main road block is that: the quality of my grammar since English isn't my first language.

Well, our workgroup acts as an editor of sorts, looking for grammar as well as story itself. They do pick up a number of mistakes that are up to the writer to change. IN addition, there is some editing at the Battlecorps level, but I try hard to make sure the editing for my story is as minimum as possible. Sometimes, mistakes get through and I cringe every time I see a wrong tense or a any other grammar problem.

Hope that helps!

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!

My Blogs!

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2015, 21:34:38 »
so I tentatively started to write again and one thing I've noticed is; I write in a rhythm! As I let go of my creative flow, I seem to build my paragraphs into three to four sentences max (unless I get into a more complex action or descriptive). I guess my question is; do you fall into these habits? How do you suggest one could go around getting rid of it? I often go back and add stuff to break that rhythm but it's kind of funny nonetheless!

Oh and more blogs please :)
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2015, 22:10:29 »
so I tentatively started to write again and one thing I've noticed is; I write in a rhythm! As I let go of my creative flow, I seem to build my paragraphs into three to four sentences max (unless I get into a more complex action or descriptive). I guess my question is; do you fall into these habits? How do you suggest one could go around getting rid of it? I often go back and add stuff to break that rhythm but it's kind of funny nonetheless!

Oh and more blogs please :)

Rule number one for writers: WRITE!

Write it down, don't worry about going back until the story is done. It's tempting to make changes with what you've written, but you will bog down as you keep going back and making changes. Going for perfection right out of the box screws up more would-be writers than not writing.

If your writing in rhythm, KEEP writing until you are finished. Once the story is done, then go back and makes changes. I've never written a story exactly right first draft. First drafts are the basics house. It's rewriting that makes it a nice house.

Hope that helps....

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2015, 15:34:44 »
New Blog Post: http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-lack-of-battlecorps-stories.html

I discuss the lack of Battlecorps stories and why.

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!

My Blogs!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2015, 12:49:17 »
I've still got the links open from your last blog post!
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2015, 21:38:09 »
Craig

Are you planning to large novellet for Battlecorp?   Thanks
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2015, 16:51:09 »
Craig

Are you planning to large novellet for Battlecorp?   Thanks

I do have a couple of Novellas in the planning stages, but they are more of a risk. Because they are longer they are more expensive, and thus have to absolutely perfect in Jason's eyes. Right now, I have a plateful of short stories I need to clear out first before I can rally concentrate on the novellas.

That being said, I do like the idea of Battlecorps Novellas. It's just they have to be exactly right, and not a padded-out short story.

Craig

My Blogs!

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2015, 20:04:06 »

That being said, I do like the idea of Battlecorps Novellas. It's just they have to be exactly right, and not a padded-out short story.

Craig

Are novellas so hard because they still need to be rather short so writers tend to treat them as extended short stories? What is considered a novella in BT? Through your blogs a short seems to be less than 10 000 words and (if memory serves) ROC was publishing about 60 000 words BT books, much to Stackpole's distress lol.

again, thanks for your time Craig.. oh and, eventhough you are keeping a BT blog.. are you going to talk about your upcoming novel in more details?

- Aleksandr Kerensky

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #25 on: 02 June 2015, 20:44:13 »
Are novellas so hard because they still need to be rather short so writers tend to treat them as extended short stories? What is considered a novella in BT? Through your blogs a short seems to be less than 10 000 words and (if memory serves) ROC was publishing about 60 000 words BT books, much to Stackpole's distress lol.

again, thanks for your time Craig.. oh and, even though you are keeping a BT blog.. are you going to talk about your upcoming novel in more details?

A Novella is between 17,500-40,000 words, which is 2-5 times the length of a normal Battlecorps short stories. Anything over 40,000 words is considered a Novel and not something Battlecorps would publish.

Anything less than 7,500 words is a short story, and a Novelette is 7,500-17,500 words.

No Battletech novel at this time. For updates on the non-BT novel I'm writing, check out my other blog, listed in the sig file below.

Craig

My Blogs!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!

My Blogs!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 04 June 2015, 10:50:50 »
Hello Craig

I have a random question for you.  When you do your stories, be Novella or typical short story.  What kind of permissions do you have for introducing a new vehicle/mechs/etc in story?  What i guess you could term a fluff machine, since never been seen before.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture of Handbook: House Kurita with us!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #28 on: 04 June 2015, 11:08:09 »
I'm entertaining the idea of writing once again.
I used to do fan-fics of various types from After Action Fluff to stories.

I've read the Do and Do Nots, along with the rest of your blog.
I guess my big question is, what types of stories do you think Battlecorp would have better acceptance of?

Assuming both stories would be well written, which would have a better chance:
1. A simple story about a backwater system with a not so important character.
2. A story that is still "low key" (in terms of our universe), but offers an explanation to some throw away line in a sourcebook.
   2a. For example, if we discovered a line about only one (or just some small amount) casualty in some war. It was never expanded past that.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2015, 11:32:21 »
I'm entertaining the idea of writing once again.
I used to do fan-fics of various types from After Action Fluff to stories.

I've read the Do and Do Nots, along with the rest of your blog.
I guess my big question is, what types of stories do you think Battlecorp would have better acceptance of?

Assuming both stories would be well written, which would have a better chance:
1. A simple story about a backwater system with a not so important character.
2. A story that is still "low key" (in terms of our universe), but offers an explanation to some throw away line in a sourcebook.
   2a. For example, if we discovered a line about only one (or just some small amount) casualty in some war. It was never expanded past that.
I've submitted a story along the lines of #2. It was rejected not because of the subject material, but more for the story-telling structure. The topic was interesting and a good choice, but how I told that story just wasn't up to what Jason was looking for.

In my opinion, I don't think it matters as much whether you take option 1 or 2, as long as you tell the story in an interesting and captivating manner.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Register