Author Topic: 1st try  (Read 1502 times)

EdgeCrusher

• Private
1st try
« on: 25 January 2012, 17:14:49 »
Moo!

this is my 1st attempt at painting a miniature. 

I bought a battleforce pack not knowing it was a smaller scale than normal BT stuff :(

any thoughts?

« Last Edit: 25 January 2012, 18:02:23 by EdgeCrusher »

Downslide

• Master Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc
Re: 1st try
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2012, 20:39:37 »
Sure, buy the regular size minis, they're a little easier to paint! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;D [wildandcrazy] ??? ::) :-[ :-X

Seriously though, if this is in your first go at it, more power to ya!
I'm far from an expert, and way rusty, so take my recomendations with a grain of salt.

I would get a finer tipped brush for your cockpit windows, so that you can get right up to the edges of the framing.

I personally stay away from "black" blacks as a base color, as I feel it is one of the hardest colors to use and not hide a lot of the details of the mini.

But, your cover is consistent with the reds, and I like the overall scheme.
Everyman thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier. - Samuel Johnson

Yes, combat really is a hurtful, deadly thing. 

gaussgirl

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Battletech Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2012, 22:38:47 »
Nice job especially since its on one of the "little guys". I recommend thinning your paints out more though.  It takes me about three to four coats to achieve the right color but the over all effect is smoother and more even.  Keep up the good work  O0
Heavy Gauss rifles are sexy! ;)

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2012, 09:21:10 »
well done O0
Life: Some assembly required!

whitetyger009

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2012, 13:02:17 »
to a point i agree with downslide that black is a hard color to work with as a base.  however in order to not lose the detail in that black i would suggest a light drybrush of a dark grey.  do this before you apply your red and it will make the details pop more in those black areas.  then you apply the red.  once all that has dried i would do a black wash.  the wash will make the recesed areas stand out more.  after all that is done then do your cockpit area. 

for a person who is just starting out i know all of this sounds daunting but it is all about doing the steps.  don't think about what all of this is going to be like when done think about each step in the process.  and  practice them.  don't worry if your first models don't come out like you want them too.  just pick up another and do it again.  once you have done all your models you can see what looks best.  then you can strip down the models you don't like and start again.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2012, 13:04:35 »
You are off to a good start.

EdgeCrusher

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2012, 14:48:12 »
Thanks for the comments everyone. 

I wish I knew the battleforce was smaller. I knew it was going to be torture after I opened the package.

I don't know why I used black as a primary color. I knew it would wash out the details.

I have a vulture and madcat in the mail :) my local stores don't carry BT stuff :( ill try to keep all of this in mind when I work on them :)

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2012, 17:32:44 »
Looks good! O0

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2012, 18:41:01 »
Thats rather nice.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon