Author Topic: Hearts of Chaos - How to read it?  (Read 10561 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Hearts of Chaos - How to read it?
« on: 10 March 2011, 18:56:47 »
I have a very meager BT novel collection.  With the help of a friend, I read the entire Twilight of the Clans series, and have a few others, mostly dealing with the FedCom Civil War.  And my first novel ever was Wolves on the Border, which was great. 

Bearing this in mind, I picked up Hearts of Chaos at a used bookstore and have attempted to read the thing twice to no avail.  I just can't get into it and am having a hard time understanding the book.   Any hints or anything that can help clear this up for me?  The story line seems disorienting, and it's hard for me to follow exactly what is going on besides it deals with mercs, Uncle Chandy, and WOB. 

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Re: Hearts of Chaos - How to read it?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2011, 19:04:31 »
That's a tough used book to find. Savor it.

It's the second in the Caballero trilogy though. You need to read Close Quarters first to meet the characters and understand what's going on.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2011, 19:07:36 by Sigma »

ZeMaelstrom

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2011, 19:10:08 »
iirc, WoB are only involved in the prelude, which is more or less an epilogue to the previous book.

The bulk of the book involves the Black Dragons influencing several DCMS regiments to attack Towne (a fedcom world). Uncle Chandy sends his mercs in beforehand, in an attempt to avoid embrassment to the Dragon (and a war with the fedcom).

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2011, 19:11:52 »
It's too long. But it was not the worst book by far. I actually think it was one of the better ones in retrospect. I'm not really sure what I can offer to help you with, though. I'd say the main characters are Cassie, Lady K, and Uncle Chandy. Pay some attention to Camacho and Cowboy, but the character you're really supposed to focus on is Cassie because she's supposed to be like Laura Croft and you're supposed to be infatuated with the character because she kills 'Mechs with her bare hands.

There's no WoB as far as I remember. You're really only going to see the Black Dragons, although I believe there is a surprise appearance of some Clan merchants - old friends of the Caballeros.

The story involves a Black Dragon attempt to seize Towne from a divided Federated Commonwealth. The mercs save the day, but have to take a beating for it. It's not terribly important to the storyline, but its sets up the beginning of Black Dragon. If you didn't follow along closely in Hearts of Chaos then Black Dragon is going to be a horrible read or too complicated to understand. Once again, Black Dragon - while more germane to the upcoming Twilight of the Clans story - isn't a huge plot element to the universe as a whole, but the two books detail the origins of the Black Dragon Society and were actually very fun reads.

But I like the mercenary stories a whole lot more than the Victor Super Friends Sad Soap Opera Story Arc. There's not a whole lot of baggage attached to these stories and you don't have to get attached to the main character in order to like the story.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2011, 19:14:01 »
It's the second in the Caballero trilogy though. You need to read Close Quarters first to meet the characters and understand what's going on.

That might explain why I had such a hard time with Hearts of Chaos the first time. I never read Close Quarters. I never found it.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2011, 19:18:35 »
That might explain why I had such a hard time with Hearts of Chaos the first time. I never read Close Quarters. I never found it.
That does seem to answer a few questions, then.  I feel like I jumped right into the middle of a story instead of picking it up from the get go.  I'll hang on to it, though. 

Part of the problem I think was I read Flashpoint and Measure of a Hero(?) right before it, and really enjoyed both.  Although I wound giving the second one to a friend because he had lost his copy and it was his favorite BT novel.  But I went from reading about the FedCom Civil War (which I think I have a decent understanding of) to something I had no idea about whatsoever.  But nonetheless felt like I was right in the middle of a story instead of starting a new one.

Thanks for info!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2011, 19:23:12 »
You need to read Close Quarters first to meet the characters and understand what's going on.

Pretty much sums it up.
Mostly because you'll hopefully care a little bit more about the unit and the characters.
You don't need to read it  but it does add a lot to the tale.

I never got the Lara croft Vibe off Cassie. Beyond tough female.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2011, 19:33:52 »
Obviously, as second in a trilogy it is difficult, but the Caballeros Trilogy are some of the best BT books.  While the 'Mech action is mildly silly at times, the characters are some of the more memorable and enjoyable of the whole Battletech line.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2011, 20:58:53 »
Hearts of Chaos is one of my top three all-time BT novels.  But yes, it's a lot easier to understand if you read Close Quarters first.
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2011, 22:45:36 »
Put it down and go get Close Quarters. That lays the groundwork for the characters of the regiment itself, and the storyline in general. These (Close Quarters, Hearts of Chaos, and Black Dragon) are my favorite BT novels, handsdown, but I think they need to be read in order to get a full appreciation of them, rather than as stand alone books.

And it's not "mildly cheesy Mech action".....the boys and girls of the 17th grew up piloting agromechs on farms in the harsh outback of Marik space.....they are the best Mech pilots in the IS, so Cowboy and Buntaro Mayne can do a Wasp vs Phoenix Hawk improvisation of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and it is still very believable. Then again, I may be biased, slightly.  ;D

Nonetheless, glad to see another reader.

« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 09:59:31 by 17thRecon »

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2011, 10:09:31 »
I never could finish reading that series. Cassie really ruined it for me.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2011, 16:22:35 »
I didn't like Cassie either, but in spite of her I found it to be a good series. Definitely my top ten.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2011, 07:40:11 »
This book has one of my favorite moments, a (Borges-inspired?) episode of magic butterflies.  Either this book or its sequel has another favorite: an encounter between a Catholic priest and a Sufi mystic.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2011, 14:55:50 »
Interesting, I never picked that up in my reading of it. I've got no way to reread it since I loaned it to a friend ten years ago. He's over at Edwards now.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2011, 14:58:12 »
This book has one of my favorite moments, a (Borges-inspired?) episode of magic butterflies.  Either this book or its sequel has another favorite: an encounter between a Catholic priest and a Sufi mystic.

Thats this one, too. Father Doctor Roberto "Call Me Bob" Garcia and Mirza Peter Abdulsattah.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2011, 00:22:03 »
I actually liked Don Carlos and Lady K the most of those characters. And Johnny Tchang as an unofficial member.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2011, 12:13:38 »
The only part of Cassie which grew a tad tiresome was her heavy sociopathy (which thankfully began to change in Black Dragon) although coupled with a bit of a death wish certainly helped in her anti-mech escapades. You see I never had any issues with how she took down any of the battlemechs (aside from her first, the Wolverine) but I'll give anybody a slide once. Most people I've heard who scoff talk about the Battlemaster take down but to me that was one of the most reasonable ones. With her agility and her martial art field emphasizing poor footing, balance and muscle control that would really help her when riding a 'mech.
These two are the only instances IIRC where she did a take down "off the cuff". The others, as far as I remember, were planned ambushes, such as the Locust in Close Quarters.

Best thing to me about the series was the window into the day to day life of a mercenary regiment. The only other books even close were the Gray Death Legion series.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2011, 22:45:12 »
The only part of Cassie which grew a tad tiresome was her heavy sociopathy (which thankfully began to change in Black Dragon) although coupled with a bit of a death wish certainly helped in her anti-mech escapades. You see I never had any issues with how she took down any of the battlemechs (aside from her first, the Wolveri ;Dne) but I'll give anybody a slide once. Most people I've heard who scoff talk about the Battlemaster take down but to me that was one of the most reasonable ones. With her agility and her martial art field emphasizing poor footing, balance and muscle control that would really help her when riding a 'mech.
These two are the only instances IIRC where she did a take down "off the cuff". The others, as far as I remember, were planned ambushes, such as the Locust in Close Quarters.

Best thing to me about the series was the window into the day to day life of a mercenary regiment. The only other books even close were the Gray Death Legion series.

Man, that Wolverine take down bugs everyone.  ;D ;D

I think many people hear that she has taken down 40 plus Battlemechs and assume that she did so in the same fashion as she took down the BMaster (i.e, Bruce Willis Die Hard style).  It is kind of written into the story though, that many of her "takedowns" were disablings and trappings and all done from planned ambushes and in conjunction with her other scout platoon mates.  I always took it that the team was out there setting up everything and Cassie was the bait/decoy/ one that got her hands dirty.  She exposed herself to the most risk, and got the most credit.

And I agree that the look into Merc life is great.  I always felt like for anything these books lacked, they more than made up for it in character and heart. You really start to feel the loss of some of the ones that don't make it each book, and even get mad but then feel sorry for old Baird too, even after all he did.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2011, 03:47:26 »
These books more than any other certainly bring home the hazards of the profession! Even mechanics are not exempt...  :'(
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2011, 13:47:57 »
Vic Milan's Cabaleros novels are the only BattleTech novels I still really want to read. If they're anything like his Dark Age books, they'll be pure pulpy excitement.

Borges references! How have I not read these books?!

Showers

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2011, 19:39:33 »
I own all the Classic Battletech line of books. I can say Hearts of Chaos isn't as good as Black Dragon or Close Quarters but it is a breath of fresh air from the main line VSD novels.

Vic Milan's Cabaleros novels are the only BattleTech novels I still really want to read. If they're anything like his Dark Age books, they'll be pure pulpy excitement.

Borges references! How have I not read these books?!
Give me the Gray Death Legion trilogy any day. We all have our own preferences I guess.

Revenant

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 01 April 2011, 20:49:00 »
The problem with the Caballeros books is that the plots are based on Hong Kong Action Movie plots...  The author likes to use John Woo plots- a lot.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2011, 10:22:37 »
Compared to the mainline though, the characters actually had... character!

I heard Victor Milan wrote some new Caballero stuff for BattleCorps. I know there was one for the 25 year art book.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2011, 10:48:17 »
I heard Victor Milan wrote some new Caballero stuff for BattleCorps. I know there was one for the 25 year art book.

Ozymandius by Victor Milan.  O0  Set in 3049, featuring Cassie Suthorn and set in the Magestry of Canopus.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2011, 18:28:52 by Top Sergeant »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #24 on: 02 April 2011, 12:49:54 »
I heard Victor Milan wrote some new Caballero stuff for BattleCorps.

Sort of. It's one story about Callie MacDougall when she was a teen before she joined the Caballeros or started calling herself Kali.

zeitgeist

• Private
  • The devil to pay and no pitch hot.
« Reply #25 on: 03 April 2011, 02:46:31 »
The Caballero books are the only Battletech novels I've held on to. I love the descriptions of life in the inner sphere beyond what the nobility is doing on the battlefield.
Both of those scenes make me smile whenever I think of them.

Reading Milan's stuff, I always get the image of him reading through the old house books and giggling at the pop culture references and puns. Whereas most other battletech novels feel like they were written by someone with a tech readout and a copy of the rules.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2011, 12:34:26 »
That does seem to answer a few questions, then.  I feel like I jumped right into the middle of a story instead of picking it up from the get go.  I'll hang on to it, though. 

Heh.  Reminds me of when I read Heir of the Dragon.  It is a great book, and one of my favorites now, but I read it before reading the Warrior books.  It is really more of a companion book than a stand alone, as many scenes take place within minutes of scenes that are in Stackpole's books, without any backstory.  And without knowing those scenes, it makes almost no sense at all.  Now, I love it. Then it almost put me off of Charette's books all together.

Register