Author Topic: IlClan Delayed for Reformat  (Read 27329 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: IlClan Delayed for Reformat
« Reply #30 on: 26 August 2017, 20:49:58 »
From the content of the intro to TRO Succession Wars, it looks like many elements of Herb's Great Leap Forward plan will be retained.  If they keep all of it, that opens the way for a simplified, streamlined rule set covering Rebel vs. Clan Empire fights, while the full existing rules can still be used for when old tech is used in the arenas.  (Caveat - I've seen nothing official on the 3250 setting, but the intro text in the TRO tracks strongly with what was teased about Herb's 3250 plans back when.)

I wouldn't count on any of that.

- Herb

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #31 on: 26 August 2017, 21:15:42 »
I wouldn't count on any of that.

- Herb

Fair enough, but the intro to TRO Succession Wars refers to "employment of these older BattleMechs in the arena system," which was a feature of your setting, as well as references to a "modern" tech base kept off limits to the freebirth masses.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 17:50:02 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #32 on: 26 August 2017, 21:25:19 »
But his other comments about leaving loose ends make it sound more like Interstellar Players 4: IlClan.

Ugh... no.  Just no.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #33 on: 26 August 2017, 21:38:32 »
Ugh... no.  Just no.

Funny, because I have the exact opposite reaction.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: 26 August 2017, 21:39:57 »
Fake enough, but the intro to TRO Succession Wars refers to "employment of these older BattleMechs in the arena system," which was a feature of your setting, as well as references to a "modern" tech base kept off limits to the freebirth masses.

Did I say that they'd be arena units in an official capacity? I don't recall that. Or is this something you picked up from my FB leaks?

- Herb

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #35 on: 26 August 2017, 22:15:17 »
Funny, because I have the exact opposite reaction.

Well, I don't.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #36 on: 26 August 2017, 22:24:52 »
Fake enough, but the intro to TRO Succession Wars refers to "employment of these older BattleMechs in the arena system," which was a feature of your setting, as well as references to a "modern" tech base kept off limits to the freebirth masses.
And we have no idea how big that setting is, and whether that's across the entire Inner Sphere or within this tiny little nationstate pretending to be relevant with the Loremaster extolling the Dear Leader's internal policy that no other country bothers to pay attention to.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 26 August 2017, 23:36:19 »
So... Do we have any kind of time frame for when we can expect the next plot/sourcebook to come out?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 26 August 2017, 23:44:16 »
Per standard policy (which they must kinda realize they should have followed after saying, "out in 2017"), no, not to my knowledge.

I'd be happy to be wrong, though.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 26 August 2017, 23:49:42 »
Hey, I have no problem with them saying "out in 2017" as long as they explain delays. I just hate the standard "you'll know when it's out" type of statement

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #40 on: 27 August 2017, 02:34:41 »
And we have no idea how big that setting is, and whether that's across the entire Inner Sphere or within this tiny little nationstate pretending to be relevant with the Loremaster extolling the Dear Leader's internal policy that no other country bothers to pay attention to.

Thats kind of what I think the IlClan thing would be.  Perhaps back in the 3050's the whole idea of IlClan made sense, but now you've had the Clans in the Inner Sphere change so much that I doubt they would listen to any one in particular if they managed to grab terra and then go "We are the IlClan! You will follow us now!" 

The foxes are free merchants and would probably see it as a buisness opportunity, the Dominion is a Successor State more than a Clan, both Falcons and Wolves HATE each other so wouldn't listen to the other if they grabbed it and the Horses are seemingly content where they are.

So for all we know this IlClan thing could be, as you said, a kind of re-captured Hegemony, who then yell at everyone to obey them, get promptly ignored or snubbed and then start acting like Space North Korea and be all "We're relevant!"
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #41 on: 27 August 2017, 03:26:22 »
That doesn't seem to fit with the bits we've seen so far from 3250.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 27 August 2017, 04:39:28 »
The problem is, we don't know and we're then just assuming based on some incredibly limited evidence.  To me the whole thing about the ilClan in the modern era is utterly irrelevant save for bragging rights as the other Clans have changed so much that they won't accept it or will challenge it. They won't bend the knee.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #43 on: 27 August 2017, 06:06:36 »
I will be happy when it comes out, whenever that is.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 27 August 2017, 06:13:42 »
I will be happy when it comes out, whenever that is.

Seyla

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 27 August 2017, 06:15:17 »
Did I say that they'd be arena units in an official capacity? I don't recall that. Or is this something you picked up from my FB leaks?

- Herb
Gotta go with Herb here, what I remember being said was that there would be a single, unified, tech base. Which would point in the opposite direction.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #46 on: 27 August 2017, 06:25:09 »
Gotta go with Herb here, what I remember being said was that there would be a single, unified, tech base. Which would point in the opposite direction.
It seems that outside the arena, that there would be a unified tech base.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 27 August 2017, 06:36:49 »
The statement was along the line of: 'One tech base, period', so a different one for using in the arena's would be a no-go

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #48 on: 27 August 2017, 06:42:36 »
The statement was along the line of: 'One tech base, period', so a different one for using in the arena's would be a no-go
That interpretation would have always have been impossible to implement.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 27 August 2017, 08:24:15 »
Disappointed with the delay, but not really surprised and I will be grateful when we finally see it. If the writers feel the current version just won't justify the expense, then I'll assume they know what they're talking about. Unlike a certain bestselling fantasy author, at least there won't be spoilers from an accompanying TV series :D
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #50 on: 27 August 2017, 08:57:15 »
I get you, but BattleTech needs new players right now. The BattleMech Manual, TR: Succession Wars, and the new intro products are absolutely critical for giving folks something to start with.

Hard for new players to get into a game with half the rule books out of print. I am a returning player and I find it frustrating that three of the books I want go for hundreds of dollars.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 09:00:09 by Robroy »

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #51 on: 27 August 2017, 09:08:38 »
Unlike a certain bestselling fantasy author, at least there won't be spoilers from an accompanying TV series :D

Somerset

House Steiner watches the Periphery border, for every Lyran schoolchild knows their Words in their heart...

Kerensky is Coming!

(Psst - don't dare to refuse his batchall)

« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 09:11:42 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #52 on: 27 August 2017, 09:11:16 »
Ladies and gentlemen, please remain civil in here.  Delays of ilClan and the entire subject matter can be a bit contentious, so please choose your words with care and be aware that how you come across may not be nearly as pleasant as you think it is.

Let's also try to stay on topic but please do not attempt to guide other posters yourselves.  As ever, if you feel something is against the rules or needs moderator attention, please use the "Report to moderator" link on the post to get our attention.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 27 August 2017, 09:40:40 »
If the producers of a product feel something needs more work, that is their call. Its not like they don't know there is some eagerness for the product. But better a delay to release a very good, eagerly anticipated product than timely release a eagerly anticipated, but  disappointing product that fell short of its potential. In the end, quality is more important that timely release. You really don't here many people saying "Well, this is crap, but it came out on time, so I'm not going to complain" when it comes to gaming products.

Maybe its getting older and having less energy to burn, but I'vew lost the feel for needing explanations that wont really change how I feel upon getting them, and I've lost all interest in speculation. Maybe its just the dad in me, but my reaction is just that of a road trip: We'll get there when we get there.

In the end, its nothing I  can't enjoy battletech without. Its a nice to have, not a necessity, and I look forward to it whenever it does arrive.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 22:08:21 by William J. Pennington »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #54 on: 27 August 2017, 09:52:49 »
In all honesty, shouldn't we be used to delays at this point?  Necessary or not?  IMO, ilClan is necessary because it advances the story that has been dormant for a long time.  I guess if they need more time then they need more time.  No sense in expecting more.

My suspicions?  BattleTech is on the back burner for Dragonfire since that's where the money is.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #55 on: 27 August 2017, 10:06:48 »
Hard for new players to get into a game with half the rule books out of print. I am a returning player and I find it frustrating that three of the books I want go for hundreds of dollars.

With all of the hand-wringing about the box set scarcity, this is an equally difficult issue. I'm glad BMM is hitting the shelves soon. It's the hidden cost to having a giant core book line that no one saw coming.

You really don't here many people saying "Well, this is crap, but it came out on time, so I'm not goign to complain" when it comes to gaming products.

Ain't that the damn truth

In all honesty, shouldn't we be used to delays at this point?  Necessary or not?  IMO, ilClan is necessary because it advances the story that has been dormant for a long time.  I guess if they need more time then they need more time.  No sense in expecting more.

My suspicions?  BattleTech is on the back burner for Dragonfire since that's where the money is.

Based on the scope of the DF project and the need to meet likely external deadlines by WotC, that isn't far fetched

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #56 on: 27 August 2017, 10:14:01 »
Based on the scope of the DF project and the need to meet likely external deadlines by WotC, that isn't far fetched

Yep.  They have deadlines now, and they can barely make their own deadlines for their own products.

EDIT:  If this is the case they would obviously go for the deadlines that give steady cash flow.  Can't argue with that.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 10:22:20 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 27 August 2017, 10:40:09 »

I'll keep mine to myself, thanks.  But, I'll agree deadlines with another company could be a factor.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #58 on: 27 August 2017, 10:59:00 »
Where is the source for this?

Does Reformat means rewriting?
----

Not as bad as it sounds firstly, IMHO. It has been so long delayed for now that I look forward till it will be published, but hardly wait feverishly now.

Fever will rise when publication gets serious, however.  ;D
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 27 August 2017, 11:09:32 »
If ilClan is the book that's going to define the next time period, then it's going to set the tone for BattleTech for a while - probably years - as well as the mood and theme that the current line developers want to set for BattleTech. Given it's importance as a framing piece, I'd much rather that it's delayed until the guys in charge are completely happy with it and ready to build outward on it, than have it rushed out early. I'm maybe more relaxed than I might be for other books, because I honestly really don't care that much about the Clans and because there are so many other books I'm still chewing through and thinking about, but I think no matter how frustrating it might be to keep waiting, it's better to wait than to be disappointed in the longer term.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Register