Author Topic: Clan vs Inner Sphere PV ratio?  (Read 3682 times)

abou

• Captain
Clan vs Inner Sphere PV ratio?
« on: 16 November 2016, 22:04:30 »
How well does the point system balance Clan vs IS?

Do equal PVs work well considering it would likely mean more IS units compared to Clan on the table?

What about when you have a disparity in skill levels? Regulars and veterans for IS and elites for Clan?

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
Re: Clan vs Inner Sphere PV ratio?
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2016, 22:44:21 »
I would think it balances nicely considering you pay points for every point of damage, armor and special ability you have.

Im planning on running a clan invasion campaign and the AS system seems perfect to implement it.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2016, 07:04:22 »
Agreed. There is no difference in abilities between the techs. You pay for performance. The clan mechs will be more expensive but they typically have higher stats. The number of units is what can cause problems.

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2016, 10:10:41 »
Agreed. There is no difference in abilities between the techs. You pay for performance. The clan mechs will be more expensive but they typically have higher stats. The number of units is what can cause problems.

Seconded.

PV doesn't care where your technology comes from, it only cares about how effective that tech is on the battlefield.

While its true that Clan Mechs typically have more firepower and, generally, topped out Armor stats, the InnerSphere mechs - with their Standard Engines - tend to have more Structure and thus more battlefield longevity.  This "combat durability" ratio is about evenly matched between "kill in one shot" (clan equipment) and "takes forever to kill" (innersphere tech).  There are plenty more tricks to shorten/lengthen an individual's combat durability (in-game Specials, scenario setup, luck, etc) but those are more detailed than the scope of the OP question.

Example: the Timberwolf "Mad Cat" [A] and an Atlas [AS7-D].  Both are 52 PV and are pretty evenly matched in my experience of both Classic and AS.  Both need the same number of successful attacks at each range (respectfully) to destroy the other (6 at Long, 3 at Medium/Short).  Winner is decided by luck and field conditions now :)

"Equal Numbers" is the balancing factor to "Equal PV"
Similar to how tonnage caps worked in Classic, PV balancing does work so long as the number of units on the field are also similar.  Lance vs Star or Company vs Binary or what have you.  Savannah Master and Infantry swarms are just as annoying in AlphaStrike as they are in Classic.  The closer the number of units per side on the table, the better the gameplay (in my opinion).

"Clan Pilots have better skills"
Another habit/stigma carried over from Classic and should be disregarded.
PV represents the equipment potential at Regular Skill [4];  between the Timberwolf and Atlas above, both units are already evenly matched.  In AlphaStrike, the pilots are abstracted; there's no difference between a homegrown Sphereoid and trueborn creche.
If a player/gamemaster insists on enforcing the roleplay between I.S./Clan, then they should build their forces to include the PV differences or find other means of balancing forces (justly).
Example: instead of a Timberwolf [A] at Skill 4 for 52 PV, the controlling player could field a Timberwolf [ B] at Skill 3 for 53 (base 44 PV, +9 for Skill up) and still be evenly matched against the Atlas AS7-D at Skill 4.

"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2016, 13:09:28 »
And you can keep both sides even closer in number by using demi-companies for IS if you are doing one Lance (6 Mechs if it's a demi-company lance) vs a Star.

It's the same ratio as a full Company vs a Binary.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2016, 13:42:36 »
it can be a little disconcerting coming into AS from regular BT. in regular BT battlevalue often has trouble correctly accounting for the capabilities of clan mechs relative to inner sphere ones, since there are so many more variables. since alpha strike removes most of those variables and simplifies everything, it handles different tech bases better. but it can be hard to shake off the conditioned responses from regular BT.

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2016, 17:39:43 »
The Griffin 1N and Wraith TR1 are nearly identical in BV2 but you would take the Wraith to win 99 times out of 100 to win in a single game of BT. But guess what?

They are both 30pts in AS. Griffin has more of a chance to win in single combat now.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2016, 10:41:59 »
I just played an AS match with clan vs IS tech and it did not work out well for IS:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55772.0
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2016, 22:25:31 »
You played a game where the Clan player used terrain and focused fire intelligently, and the IS player(s) did not.  Hardly representative.

I can guarantee you almost certainly that the IS is not underpowered compared to Clan, or I wouldn't win against them every time. :)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.