Author Topic: manga time so what are you reading now? (Links may be NSFW)  (Read 130657 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: manga time so what are you reading now?
« Reply #60 on: 03 August 2015, 06:58:57 »
Aoki Hagane No Arpeggio has updated finally.   

Back to Iona and aftermath of Hyuuga battle with Hiei. Kongou continues build more ships for her fleet, including another battleship.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #61 on: 04 August 2015, 15:56:39 »
Is it any better than anime?

They are both good, but I am preferring the manga because the MC can actually fight in the manga.  ;D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #62 on: 08 August 2015, 14:54:00 »
I've just read through fun little manga Flying Witch. Exactly what it says on the tin. Relaxing slice-of-life of a witch.
Was that supposed to be secret?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #63 on: 08 August 2015, 16:46:51 »
Heh, I just read it the other day. I see a few homages to Kikki there and here.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #64 on: 10 August 2015, 09:49:40 »
I've got started with MARINE CORPS YUMI. TVtropes says manuscript was provided by former marine. But how accurately did mangaka get it done? Any marines in this forum who can tell?

[edit]
This in commentary:
Senior Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Regina Derringer is actually based off of my Senior Drill Instructor! When I introduced this webcomic to her, she started reading it, too! One fan acquired. :)

[edit2]
ZOMG! This page cracked me up! :D
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 10:54:09 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #65 on: 10 August 2015, 13:33:36 »
She passed away from cancer though :( (last month in July)
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 13:36:33 by HobbesHurlbut »
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 10 August 2015, 18:40:41 »
the former Marine (Ana Moreno) co-wrote it with the mangaka one of the top military mangaka, she worked as a translator in the Core and since in the Manga & Anime industry, she was a core brat of part Japanese ancestry born and raised in Okinawan.

she released the first 78 parts in English Hear, 122 parts are out in Japanese.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #67 on: 10 August 2015, 22:20:10 »
she released the first 78 parts in English Hear, 122 parts are out in Japanese.
And she died to cancer. Last update on that site was 9th of July, over month ago. When can we expect next update?

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 10 August 2015, 23:36:53 »
unsure she was still working on translations from her hospital bed, more pages may be ready, but are likely amoung her personal effects, so don't know if let alone when they will be posted.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #69 on: 11 August 2015, 10:09:08 »
According to TVtropes:
English translation will be continued by Dan Kanemitsu.
Looking forward to that. Hopefully sooner than later...

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #70 on: 15 August 2015, 14:04:42 »
Currently reading through the first volume of Trigun Maximum Omnibus, so far I've enjoyed reading through it. Seems to focus more on character development than the anime adaptation which focuses more on the story
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #71 on: 15 August 2015, 19:52:45 »
I read all 16 chapters of Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan (or Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry) that I could find. What kept me going on it is that it seems it would be both very much a fan service romp and a Nisekoi-ish harem romance, but it really isn't, except on the surface. It keeps tapping those stereotypes but winds up veering away. To explain: if the boy walks in on the girl changing there is the typical initial emotional explosion and embarrassment, but then they get over it, realize its an accident and act more like a normal people. Also, when expressing affection there is the initial embarrassment but then they get passed it and hug/kiss/hold hands.

As long as they can still do that I'll keep reading.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 15 August 2015, 21:02:58 »
unsure she was still working on translations from her hospital bed, more pages may be ready, but are likely amoung her personal effects, so don't know if let alone when they will be posted.
When she passed, it was stated by the artist that they'd worked ahead a long ways so Yumi's story will be told in full.  It'll still continue in both languages, with a different English translator standing in.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #73 on: 15 August 2015, 21:12:40 »
I read all 16 chapters of Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan (or Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry) that I could find. What kept me going on it is that it seems it would be both very much a fan service romp and a Nisekoi-ish harem romance, but it really isn't, except on the surface. It keeps tapping those stereotypes but winds up veering away. To explain: if the boy walks in on the girl changing there is the typical initial emotional explosion and embarrassment, but then they get over it, realize its an accident and act more like a normal people. Also, when expressing affection there is the initial embarrassment but then they get passed it and hug/kiss/hold hands.

As long as they can still do that I'll keep reading.
Ugh I just found out the author for that died :(

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #74 on: 15 August 2015, 22:37:48 »
Ugh I just found out the author for that died :(

Wow. And its slated to be made into an anime this Fall, too. Condolences to his family.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2015, 22:42:12 by Top Sergeant »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #75 on: 15 August 2015, 23:51:33 »
I looked at it, just few first pages. It's different from the usual. But doesn't compare to The Fruit of Grisaia: guy walks in to his own room, finds nearly naked girl (changing her clothes), and says (in fan translation): "Who on Earth invited a stripper to my room? It's not my birthday today"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 26 August 2015, 23:52:16 »
dug out complete set of outlanders all 33 tpb and 2 specials JOY! mrs and the kids are gone all day tomorrow
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #77 on: 27 August 2015, 10:41:50 »
Nothing like a reading binge! I once read a new (and very thick) book from morning to wee hours in the morning >.>

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #78 on: 27 August 2015, 23:00:50 »
I saw the OVAs first, but now I've found Horimiya and I've been steadily reading it. Up to chapter 39 now. Better than your usual high school romance/comedy, but I guess that might not be saying too much.  ;)

I was liking the male MC, but in the last few chapters he's gone downhill for me. I hope it'll change soon.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #79 on: 28 August 2015, 06:10:44 »
You know, i noticed. Some of the Mangas that have gotten animes produced sometimes stop production shortly after.  Is that a thing or a coincidence?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 28 August 2015, 10:04:23 »
no  a lot of companies get their backing pulled from under them
that is why you get  alot of OVA dragon half is a good example made 2 episodes never aired ended up on vhs was good but never got backing and alot of the OVA end up being nothing more than concept that get made but never get completion due to either studios going out of business or backers and sponsors pulling out.
also authors as standard practice do not get to control the animated work most of the time there are exceptions but they are rare
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 28 August 2015, 11:09:18 »
a lot of writers also keep up with a title to pay the bills, when they get that hit of TV Money they back-burner projects that are of less interest than the next concept they want to explore since the bills are less of a concern, and the new concept takes over their working life.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #82 on: 28 August 2015, 14:06:12 »
a lot of writers also keep up with a title to pay the bills, when they get that hit of TV Money they back-burner projects that are of less interest than the next concept they want to explore since the bills are less of a concern, and the new concept takes over their working life.
Sadly, that makes sense.  Personally, if its a great manga. He/she pulls out because they (temporarily maybe) made it big. I personally wouldn't want to welcome them back if their going tease readers in a good story arc and do it again later.

I know it's tough life, but i like whole stories, not half ones.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #83 on: 28 August 2015, 14:12:29 »
I know it's tough life, but i like whole stories, not half ones.
Then buy only whole stories that have already been completed and rated. Buy Chrono Crusade which has been completed already and ignore Berserk which is still ongoing.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 02 September 2015, 06:46:43 »
Aoki Hagane No Arpeggio has come out yet again with another volumes.  Back with main heroes still.

Hyuuga is captured by a destroyer in previous issue, now the crew dealing with trying to move on and intercept Kongo.  I suspect that their a third party running around inside the fleet doing their own agenda.  Everyone see signs of Yamato finally showing up for the party, but not this chapter.  Build up something...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 02 September 2015, 07:56:33 »
Aoki Hagane No Arpeggio has come out yet again with another volumes.  Back with main heroes still.

Hyuuga is captured by a destroyer in previous issue, now the crew dealing with trying to move on and intercept Kongo.  I suspect that their a third party running around inside the fleet doing their own agenda.  Everyone see signs of Yamato finally showing up for the party, but not this chapter.  Build up something...
chapter 67 or 68 is current to the series
been saving that one to read later next weekend when my mrs and the kids are visiting my mrs aunt for the whole weekend

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #86 on: 02 September 2015, 10:37:52 »
Monster Musume and Re:Monster have also got new chapter each at end of the last month. Some action in both of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #87 on: 12 September 2015, 07:39:44 »
Speaking of Monster Musume, i discovered for myself that Monster Musume has a "parallel" universe i guess.

The folks made it also made a manga called 12 Beast.  This still has monster "people" in it and art very similar to Monster Musume.  Its theme is more action/comedy/fantasy/scifi version of Monster Musume with lead character drawn similar to "Darling". 

I've only read first volume, but it's not too bad. 
Plot: Apparently, a young woman who turn out to be a Harpy, manages to goto the Earth to retrieve main character who a ninja dojo trained video gamer. (This version of Harpy's race by the way makes a semi-cameo in Monster Musume during Darling's date with Ms Smith). He taken to "Live Earth" to help save her people from attacks by mecha like creatures called Giga. A empire trying to subjugate the planet with high-tech, while rest world is mostly fantasy level tech and touch of Earth tech.   

Monster girls in the manga are little but not too different from Monster Musume.  Having read the former, it made reading 12 Beast more interesting to me.  To me, it seems like their using Monster Musume's array of races and world setup gave it non-Romentic-Comedy flare to it and not quite as ecchi.  It's nothing write home about, its nice read so far. Lastly, I won't call it a Harem thing either, though looks like it at first.  None one is in love with anyone.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #88 on: 12 September 2015, 10:32:50 »
So far it look like it's about comradeship :D. Or simply put; the power of friendship!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #89 on: 13 September 2015, 11:17:43 »
So who's following T-REX na Kanojo (roughly: "She's a T-Rex")?
The type of adorable in this manga is sooo good. And that childhood friend of her is just too funny.

Register