Author Topic: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War  (Read 144695 times)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War
« Reply #150 on: 12 February 2018, 16:12:33 »
Situation Room
Fox’s Den, Mount Davion
New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Commonwealth
November 6th, 3056

As the briefing droned on with news of an inconclusive battle here, a Blakist or Capellan terror attack there, the litany all meant one thing to Katherine. It’s all on my damn watch, and I am dancing to Sun-Tsu’s tune. She drummed her fingers as she reached through her mind. She’d been mostly a passive observer in the military and intelligence briefings, still a bit in shock over the events of nineteen days before. She’d given Nondi more autonomy on the Clan front, and Nondi in her last communication said that the Steel Vipers “..were horribly telegraphing their intentions”. Whatever the hell that meant.

Victor was still in a coma, and Katherine made a point of reading to him by his bed, a chapter a day from the classics. Katherine smiled at that, he wasn’t much for classic literature, but now? Now I think he’s a bit of a captive audience. They were on the third chapter of Moby Dick, but reading to Victor just reminds me how I miss him, and how I am on the damn backfoot because of that murderous jackal on Sian! And Peter, Yvonne, Arthur? Jesus, they’re in godddamned seclusion! I can’t even send a message to them! I can’t be the big sister I need to be, the ruler I need to be? All I can be is angry, impotent..and…

There was a SNAP, Katherine hadn’t realized it, but she had snapped her stylus from the anger over the fate of her parents. All the heads in the Situation Room turned. A thought came unbidden to Katherine. “Ladies and Gentlemen, can everyone but the principals clear the room?” Katherine queried. It wasn’t long before a rustling of papers and chairs commenced as the veritable army of junior aides, briefers, and clerical personnel cleared the room. Katherine waited for all of them to clear the room. Once the last of them left, the door closed with a snick, it seemed louder to Katherine that it possibly could have. She took a deep breath, surveyed the room. Time to show them the nutcase has some teeth after all.

“Ladies and Gents, to put it in terms my father would have said, these last three and a half weeks have been a terrible ass kicking. I intend we begin to put an end to it: Now.”

Quintus Allard cleared his throat, his deputy Alex Mallory rustling through his papers expecting a request from his boss for information to back up a point his boss to make. “Your Highness, as much as I would like to, it’s been a little tough just keeping ahead of all the Capellan and Blakist terror cells loose in the Sarna and Capellan Marches. And with Sarna under Capellan control…”

“I am aware of these challenges, but my family has been murdered, my brother clings to life in a hospital bed, and worse, our people cower in fear of almost daily terror attacks. No Quintus, I am done reacting. We are going to start taking control of this mess back. And that begins now.” Katherine reached for an old, tattered olive green mapcase, it was standard Davion issue, and had a faded patch of the 3rd Davion Guards, a bird of prey soaring with a sword in it’s talons. She opened it and removed a folder and placed it on the table. Alex Mallory leaned over and picked it up, and then leafed through it, his face slowly going white.

“Who compiled this, your Highness?”

“My father, he did so with the cooperation of your office. He just compiled names he saw in the daily briefs he still received. I suspect he knew we might need this. I am sad to say that he was right. I want all the names on this list dead by the end of the month, Alex. And no, damn the consequences!”

“Your highness, some on this list are prominent citizens of the Free Worlds League, two are members of their Parliament. One is an adviser to Thomas Marik. We can’t just…”

Katherine saw red. “Yes, we can, Alex. I am tired of having open season declared on my family. Of letting that little bastard on Sian call the tune! He decided the type of war he wanted. Well, now he gets it. And if Thomas wants to give aid and comfort to the doers? Then a little of this is going to splash on him. And no, if that means war with him too, then so be it. He should know better. I will give him the chance to hand these people over to us before we take them out, but if they aren’t in our hands by the end of the month, then they will have seen their last sunrise. No ifs, ands, or buts, Alex.”

Alex blanched “Your Highness, this could hurt our agent networks in the League.”

Katherine breathed “I am aware of that. I know it’s a big risk for those men and women we have sent there. But, it’s what we have trained them to do. And its cold comfort that we ask them to do it simply for queen and country, but ladies and gentlemen, this goes beyond politics as usual in the Inner Sphere. If we don’t do this, no one and nothing is safe. The Blakists hit a damn shopping mall on Kestrel a week ago full of Christmas shoppers. No, we need to make it very unhealthy for these people. And Alex?”

“Yes, your Highness?”

“I want the targets to know who and why they are dying. Instruct the agents to tell their targets, or leave a calling card that says, “Greetings from Hanse and Melissa Steiner-Davion.” And I want two Capellan names added to that list. Kali Liao, and Dina Ferrera.”

“You want us to kill the head of the Maskirovka and the Chancellor’s sister?”

“She planned the operation that killed my parents, and he needs to know the pain of losing family.” Katherine said serenely. “After this, Alex, no more killings. We win this war clean. But now, we let them know they chose this war and the form it takes. We get to choose our form of retribution, and we will choose the form in which it ends. And I fully intend for it to end in our favor.”
« Last Edit: 14 February 2018, 11:58:19 by panzerfaust150 »
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #151 on: 12 February 2018, 20:28:30 »
well.... thats just  bitchen! :D  8)

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #152 on: 12 February 2018, 21:39:59 »
but is it even possible (to hit multiple targets like that)?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: 12 February 2018, 22:12:58 »
 Now this one makes me kind of like Katherine.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #154 on: 12 February 2018, 22:32:03 »

yeah
feels odd, but right this time
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 12 February 2018, 23:19:00 »
but is it even possible (to hit multiple targets like that)?
Yes, see the Wrath of God for how it can be done.. now expand on it with more assets and the time table could work.

Katherine has gone Ice Cold.

yeah
feels odd, but right this time
yes yes it does   8)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #156 on: 12 February 2018, 23:36:20 »
As an unabashed Katherine Fan (160pgs and counting on my fiction) this makes me happy.  Perhaps the treatments didn't stick and Mad Kat comes out to play.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 14 February 2018, 12:09:40 »
Throne Room
Forbidden Palace
Sian
Sian Commonality, Capellan Confederation
November 18th, 3056

Sun-Tsu Liao was somewhat satisfied with himself thus far, EAST SEA’s first wave had gone about as well as he had any right to expect. Taking Sarna was a damn coup, and one you didn’t expect at all, I wish they’d all been that easy. Now if my father in law would get off his overstuffed ass on Atreus, we could really humble the Davions and their spawn. But until then, we will do the best with what we have.

The briefing teams were shuffling into the room for the twice daily briefing, and from the looks on their faces, it appeared that the news was as usual, mixed. Shang was on an troubleshooting assignment, which might even involve actually shooting someone, as the war was discovering the rot in the CCAF did run pretty deep. Even with the Blakists helping us, the CCAF isn’t equal to the task we have asked it to perform, but the Mask and ROM is doing a fine job of keeping the enemy off balance. I may personally not approve of the methods, but as Grandfather used to say, or at least as the official records said he said, “Never hesitate to complicate the life of your enemy by any means possible, they won’t hesitate to do it to you if give half a chance.”

What frustrated Sun-Tsu is that he had to keep so many units watching St. Ives or the Marik frontier, or the Periphery, for EAST SEA, the Capellans didn’t have that much to work with, but he was tempted to make a fast grab of Bromhead, it’s not like the Davions had a garrison there. Not that the planet’s worth much.

The briefing droned on with the usual news, stalemate here, minor successes there. More terror attacks on “soft” targets in the Capellan and Sarna Marches, when a courtier, resplendent in an outfit of Liao Jade Green and piped with Gold, came to one knee and cleared his throat to get the attention of all in the room. “Celestial Wisdom. I come bearing an important delivery from ComStar. It is a message from the current regent of the Davions, Katrina Steiner-Davion herself. May I approach the throne with the ROM and hand it to you, Celestial Wisdom?”

Sun-Tsu nodded, and the courtier deftly walked up the few steps to the dais, bowing while averting direct eye contact and handing the disk to Sun-Tsu, then quickly retreating off the dais, down the stairs, and to the rear of the throne room. Sun-Tsu examined the disk. It was a normal enough ROM disk. It had the Fist and Sunburst of the Federated Commonwealth inlaid into the disk, and a simple message printed into it “FOR THE EYES OF THE CAPELLAN CHANCELLOR ONLY.”

There was a small slot for the playing of ROMs laid into the design of the Celestial Throne, and a screen on the opposite wall where the playback would be displayed. Sun-Tsu inserted the disk, and rose from his throne “Perhaps the Davion bitch has come crawling to us for our mercy, eh?” I doubt it, the last time the Davions sent a ROM here, it was an ill omen, but appearances must be kept up. Sun-Tsu’s mind groaned even as he kept an outward smile.

The screen showed a test pattern, beeped three times, and then came to an image of a blonde, blue-eyed woman of about twenty years of age. She looked tired, haggard, but there was a steel in her eyes, and a righteous anger too. I will have to be careful with this one. Katherine Steiner-Davion has something of her Grandmother in her. The Mask clearly underestimated her.

“Greetings Sun-Tsu Liao,” the video began. “You know me, and who I am. But if you think I sent this video to beg for mercy, or offer you worlds or praise you don’t deserve, you are clearly mistaken. I sent you this message to inform you of something: Your sister is dead. In fact, she, her staff, and all of her courtiers are dead.”

The image soon switched to a first-person camera view of what had to be a soldier running through the halls of a mansion, a mansion Sun-Tsu knew quite well. It was Kali’s on Highspire. The radio transmissions were clipped, professional, and from people who knew what the hell they were doing.

VALKYRIE SIX, THIS IS TWO, WE GOT THREE DOWN IN THE FOYER, NONE ARE PRIMARY TARGET, CHARLIE MIKE.

ROGER TWO, MEET US UPSTAIRS, PRIMARY TARGET HAS A SAFE ROOM AND WE WANT TO HEAD HER OFF FROM THAT.

One could hear the soldier’s elevated briefing as he took the stairs two at a time, and it soon became clear the camera was attached to the primary sight of the soldier’s weapon. The weapon came up and the muzzle flashed, and two of Kali’s servants fell, blood and gore blossoming from their wounds as they fell at the head of the stairs.

The soldier moved with practiced, ease, checking room to room, when he met resistance in one room, he simply fell back, pitched a grenade into the room, which after a few seconds, went off with a stark white flash, and a small cloud of dust. He then fired several quick bursts at a collection of overturned furniture in the corner of the room. As he approached the body it resolved to be one of Kali’s pet Thugees, tattooed and maimed in the name of Kali and her self-proclaimed godhood. Who are these people, they are going through her people like a buzzsaw?

The figure turned right, then left and came to a set of teak double doors, inlaid with jade and gold in the form of characters in Chinese and Punjabi. Oh no, they got to Kali’s room. Sun-Tsu showed no outward sign, but inwardly, he knew what was to come next.

The doors were quickly wired with some form of explosive from another commando, and then they blew open with a small, sharp BANG. A group of commandos then kicked open the door and flew into the room, the POV camera going right, then shifting towards the middle of the room, swinging towards the image of his sister, Kali, her slender frame clothed in a green and red silk robe, and armed with an semi-automatic pistol, she was trying to get around to shoot the person with the camera, but she was too late. Several off-screen reports sounded, and gouts of blood, bone, and vicera exploded as if by magic from her head and chest. Kali dropped like a puppet with her strings cut, she said not a word as the pistol clattered to the floor. The POV approached Kali, kicked away the pistol and in the same motion, put two more bullets into her already shattered skull.

An excited voice soon got on the radio, it was out of breath, but the elation was obvious: RINGMASTER, THIS IS VALKYRIE SIX, PRIMARY TARGET IS DOWN. REPEAT PRIMARY TARGET IS DOWN AND WE HAVE CONFIRMATION. EXECUTING EXFIL NOW, OVER.

RINGMASTER CONFIRMS VALKYRIE SIX, WELL DONE, SEE YOU AT THE EXFIL, OUT.

The image froze and returned to Katherine Steiner-Davion. “Sun-Tsu, you killed my parents in cold blood, you have gravely wounded my brother in cold blood, and forced the rest of my family into hiding. Worse, you have murdered thousands of my people. My father attacked your grandfather for a lot less. Now, now I intend to finish what you started. I don’t intend to just destroy the Capellan Confederation or make you part of the Commonwealth. No, I intend to end you. You and your entire diseased line. Your sister was just the start.

“You started this war with a perfidious stab in the back, when I come for you Sun-Tsu? You’ll see the ****** knife coming. I promise you. Because, to quote an old move, ‘I am coming, and hell is coming with me.’ Until then, see you on the battlefield, Sun-Tsu, because your victories won’t last long, and I think you know that.”

The recording froze on Katherine’s ice-cold smile. It was then that Sun-Tsu noticed two things. First, was the fact that that smile had never left Katherine’s face, and that it never, ever reached her eyes, and the second? That a chill had entered the throne room, and it was only getting colder.

Sun-Tsu barked “Send a company of the Red Heart Guard to Highspire. Confirm the claims of this video. NOW! Second, fetch Major Tsang and my Senior Colonels, and my Maskirovka Director! I WANT OPTIONS!”

The senior Maskirovka briefing officer got on his phone and called his superior, attempting to summon his boss, but his demeanor soon changed. “Sire, Chairman Ferarra is dead, her VTOL was shot down by a SRM launcher, we just found out. A note was recovered at the scene. It said, “Greetings from Hanse and Melissa Steiner-Davion.”

“Where was her security detail?” Sun-Tsu thundered.

“Their helicopter was shot down too. We’ve brought in the Death Commandos to find the assailants.” the briefer answered meekly.

Sun-Tsu saw red. “Out, everyone OUT NOW!!!” Sun-Tsu came down off the throne in a fury and snatched a polearm out of the hands of one of the throne room guards and began to randomly smash items in the throne room in a cacophony of metal, ceramics and wood until he was tackled by several courtiers and guards. The tangle of limbs struggled with him mightily, one courtier being badly disfigured by a swipe of Sun-Tsu’s reinforced claws. It took three minutes to tackle him to the ground, and drag him back to his private quarters, with everyone involved whispering apologies for having violated his person the entire way.

Sun-Tsu didn’t stop screaming until he was administered a sedative ten minutes later.

Free Worlds League Parliament Chamber
Atreus
Free Worlds League
November 20th, 3056

“The Chair recognizes the Captain-General for the purposes of answering the questions of this august body today, and thanks him in advance for making time from his schedule for us.”

Captain-General Thomas Marik rose from his chair, his uniform resplendent with medals that in many cases, were little more than honorifics and attendance awards. His beard covering the worst of the scars from the bombing that had killed most of his family, and his body stooped with age as his brown eyes searched the aisles for friends. There doesn’t appear to be any today. His hair shone with grey, the brown of his youth having been chased away by the years long ago.

He arrived at the podium and cleared his throat, waiting for the deluge of questions to begin, the wait wasn’t long at all.

“The chair recognizes Lady Demantha Korenth, MP Marik Commonwealth.”

“Captain-General, I would ask if it is a good idea to maintain relations with two powers whom in the last month, have shown a great predilection to shed innocent blood, and even now, may being some wholly justified down upon the League. I would remind the Captain-General that we were not consulted before one of these powers were allowed to enter the League?”

Thomas Marik cleared his throat. “Ms. Kortenth, I would remind her Ladyship that foreign policy is a exclusive domain of the Captain-Generalcy, and I made the decision to allow the Word Of Blake entry to the League under my reserved powers in that arena. As for their recent actions, I, and my cabinet are monitoring events in the newfound war between the Federated Commonwealth and the Capellan Confederation. The Word of Blake is allied with the Confederation, and they have the right to do so. I acknowledge that reports of their activities in the conflict thus far are alarming, but much of that can be dismissed as Federated Commonwealth propaganda.”

There was an uproar. One MP shouted “Propaganda my ass! You’ve thrown our lot in with murderers!”

The Speaker attempted to gavel the body to order, but he was shouted down by at least a dozen voices shouting, “impeach the Captain-General” and “Repeal 288!”

Thomas took this as his cue to leave, turning and making for a side entrance that was intended for parliamentary pages, and reporters, but was also useful when a Captain-General had to make a quick exit, such as today.

His SAFE Director, Wilson Chernikov, was waiting.  Wilson’s flowing white hair and green eyes belied long hours at the office, tracking the two wars that were coming uncomfortably close to the League’s borders..not to mention the fact that the League may have unwittingly allowed a bunch of terrorists to start up shop inside the borders of the League.

“Tell me you have some good news, Wilson? Thomas asked.

“I do.” Wilson answered in a clipped tone, as he handed a lengthy stack of documents in a folder marked “Special Tasks”.

“I will do the Captain-General a service and summarize. He’s been cheating on your daughter with a member of his palace staff for some time. Were this to come to light, we could…”

“..back out of the alliance with little issue, and avoid war. But what’s the chance that lunatic comes after us? Or worse, Joshua on New Avalon? He blew up six thousand people to get at Hanse and Melissa Davion for Christ’s sake!”

“Word is Sun-Tsu’s on some sort of crusade and the Blakists may have sold him a bill of goods, sire.”

Thomas swore softly. “So it’s either war on a faulty premise where most of the provinces are going to stay home, Addendum or no. Or, I betray an alliance where I let my only daughter marry a man who’s cheating on her rather than produce a ****** heir! It seems obvious on what I should do.”

“It does sire, and frankly, I agree, but there is the small issue of the Blakists still in the League. Were we to announce our neutrality in this war..”

“..they might turn on us. And you’re worried you cannot find them all?” Thomas opined.

“Sire, they’ve had six years to burrow into our military, intelligence agencies, and our bureaucracy. If they wanted to, they could cause some real havoc. But, Katherine’s offer is worth entertaining. We just have to tread very, very carefully.”

Thomas nodded “Ok, Wilson. Compile a list and get set to move on these people. I want them alive to turn over to the Fedcom, but if not, their bodies will do. If the Fedcom come for them first, don’t get in the way. Meanwhile, let’s let the Blakists think we’re are about to jump into the war on the side of the Capellans, for now. If somehow, the Capellans beat expectations…then we can just honor the alliance..and if not..”

“We can back down. Iffy game of brinkmanship, Sire.” Chernikov intoned, raising an eyebrow.

“Do we have a choice, Wilson?” Thomas stated, a tone of exasperation obvious in his voice.

“No, we do not sire. No, we do not.” Wilson stated, as he shook his head with his own sense of resignation.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2018, 21:14:26 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: 14 February 2018, 18:29:20 »
 See, there is a little of the canon Katherine, but I can forgive her for it. Everyone understands revenge.

I think she is handling it quite well, I would have destroyed the CapCon myself.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #159 on: 14 February 2018, 23:20:38 »
love this bloodbath, hope sun-tzu is really feeling the heat and realizing just how fu%$ he is now XD #P

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #160 on: 15 February 2018, 17:40:31 »
I don't know... why would the WoB betray Fake-Thomas? I think it would help to know what the Master was up to, in all this? Are they (the WoB) still planning to take Terra in this time line?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 16 February 2018, 12:59:59 »
See, there is a little of the canon Katherine, but I can forgive her for it. Everyone understands revenge.

I think she is handling it quite well, I would have destroyed the CapCon myself.
Oh she going to destroy it.. and Salt the CapCon..

So did Katherine make "Thomas Marik" an offer he can't really refuse for turning over the people she wants target or what?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #162 on: 02 March 2018, 19:25:55 »
Oh she going to destroy it.. and Salt the CapCon..

So did Katherine make "Thomas Marik" an offer he can't really refuse for turning over the people she wants target or what?
You're gonna have to be a bit more specific on what constitutes an offer he can't really refuse.
For all we know she might have offered to take Isis off his hands to marry off to one of her brothers or cousins.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 02 March 2018, 20:01:12 »
You're gonna have to be a bit more specific on what constitutes an offer he can't really refuse.
For all we know she might have offered to take Isis off his hands to marry off to one of her brothers or cousins.
He gets to live to see the next sunrise. LIC is much better than SAFE at doing wetwork.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Chaeronea

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #164 on: 05 March 2018, 04:11:36 »
He gets to live to see the next sunrise. LIC is much better than SAFE at doing wetwork.

How does MIIO rank in wetwork compared to LIC? I mean, LIC has Loki who are basically brainwashed assassins trained from childhood, but the Rabid Foxes etc are supposed to be pretty competent as well.

Also, you'd think Suz-Tzu would be happier to hear that Kali was dead, seeing how fruit-bat crazy she be?

I have to admit I would have loved it if Katie's message to Sun-Tzu was a paraphrased Susan Ivanova quote from Babylon 5 -

"Who am I? I am Katherine Steiner-Davion, daughter of Melissa and Hanse Davion. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that will grind the Liao line to dust beneath its heel, sweetheart! The people of the Federated Commonwealth, the innocents that your terrorists murdered by the thousands, sent me. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see."

And of course, another old Ivanova standby takes on a whole new tone in this story -

"No boom today? Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #165 on: 05 March 2018, 04:19:47 »
How does MIIO rank in wetwork compared to LIC? I mean, LIC has Loki who are basically brainwashed assassins trained from childhood, but the Rabid Foxes etc are supposed to be pretty competent as well.

Also, you'd think Suz-Tzu would be happier to hear that Kali was dead, seeing how fruit-bat crazy she be?

I think a good bit of his reaction stems from the realization that the second best security arrangements (*maybe* third best after the Maskirovka director´s, who was also assassinated) in the Confederation aren´t worth shit against FedCom wetwork operatives - which is kind of an inauspicious omen regarding Sunny-Boy´s own security arrangements, isn´t it?

And Kali wasn´t just assassinated from the shadows, say like Omi was canonically - they waltzed right into her place, smashed her guard detail flat, riddled her with bullets, and left. That was a deliberate "we piss on you and everything your security personnel does to protect you".
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #166 on: 05 March 2018, 06:24:39 »
And of course, another old Ivanova standby takes on a whole new tone in this story -

"You have a face people trust."

"I'd rather have a face people fear."
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #167 on: 05 March 2018, 11:12:02 »
While I like Katherines Response, I still think she is too tame.

Just remember: Sunny Boy Liao and WoB murdered her parents, sent her brother into a coma (and that is just regarding her family) and they mass-murdered thousands, sent thousands into hospitals etc.
Do not forget what Ardan said: "The blasts leveled buildings within a six-block radius of the Center".
So, how many children where with their parents and the convention Center, how many children lived in the six-block radius? And that is just regarding New Avalon. What about the other planets?

And her reaction. Kill a couple of high-ranking People.
So what?

I think, a more approbiate response would be:

"Gentlemen, the attacks show us, it is time to put the kid gloves away. Civilized warfare is for civilized enemies. Yes, the Combine used biological warfare on Northwind during the 4.th Succession war and the 5th Sword of Light is known for attacking demoralizing Targets (Starterbook Sword and Dragon and Sorensons Sabres). But now we face total war. Yes, my parents and my brother were legitimate Military Targets but to level everything in a six block radius - thats beyound humanity. Thats on par with Kentares. And we will respond in kind. I hereby order all Forces who can reach a planet of the Capellan Confederation to attack and destroy the infrastructure. I want famines sweeping the Confederation. Destroy everything and sent them back into the Stone Age. Power Stations, Water Dams, factories, bridges - just destroy. And as long as these atrocities from the Capellans and WoB continue, all units are authorized to use all available WMDs on approbiate targets. Sun Tzu wants war - he gets war. And I dont care how posterity will look on me. If in a hundred years they will describe me as the Dark Banshee of Death, the one who made Mad Claudius Steiner look like a slightly maladjusted boy and Stefan Amaris as a naughty and misbehaving criminal - so be it. But when I am finished, the Capellan Confederation will no longer exist."

(If someone thinks thats excessive force - the first draft of the speech contained a reference to a lot of cobalt clad nuclear bombs.)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #168 on: 05 March 2018, 13:00:37 »
While I like Katherines Response, I still think she is too tame.

Just remember: Sunny Boy Liao and WoB murdered her parents, sent her brother into a coma (and that is just regarding her family) and they mass-murdered thousands, sent thousands into hospitals etc.
Do not forget what Ardan said: "The blasts leveled buildings within a six-block radius of the Center".
So, how many children where with their parents and the convention Center, how many children lived in the six-block radius? And that is just regarding New Avalon. What about the other planets?

And her reaction. Kill a couple of high-ranking People.
So what?

I think, a more approbiate response would be:

"Gentlemen, the attacks show us, it is time to put the kid gloves away. Civilized warfare is for civilized enemies. Yes, the Combine used biological warfare on Northwind during the 4.th Succession war and the 5th Sword of Light is known for attacking demoralizing Targets (Starterbook Sword and Dragon and Sorensons Sabres). But now we face total war. Yes, my parents and my brother were legitimate Military Targets but to level everything in a six block radius - thats beyound humanity. Thats on par with Kentares. And we will respond in kind. I hereby order all Forces who can reach a planet of the Capellan Confederation to attack and destroy the infrastructure. I want famines sweeping the Confederation. Destroy everything and sent them back into the Stone Age. Power Stations, Water Dams, factories, bridges - just destroy. And as long as these atrocities from the Capellans and WoB continue, all units are authorized to use all available WMDs on approbiate targets. Sun Tzu wants war - he gets war. And I dont care how posterity will look on me. If in a hundred years they will describe me as the Dark Banshee of Death, the one who made Mad Claudius Steiner look like a slightly maladjusted boy and Stefan Amaris as a naughty and misbehaving criminal - so be it. But when I am finished, the Capellan Confederation will no longer exist."

(If someone thinks thats excessive force - the first draft of the speech contained a reference to a lot of cobalt clad nuclear bombs.)

If I wanted the entire Inner Sphere to turn against the FedCom because their ruler has just turned genocidally insane, and most likely a large part of the FedCom itself joining them in the effort to depose Katherine for the same reason, that´s pretty much how I´d do it.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #169 on: 05 March 2018, 14:09:03 »
Well in a "real world" idea, I would look at something along the lines of SAS or SEALS or SPETSNAZ

He would have been, had it been a simple hit, this was an in your face, we walked her hallways to kill her.    Also see Sir Chaos answer

I have to admit I would have loved it if Katie's message to Sun-Tzu was a paraphrased Susan Ivanova quote from Babylon 5 -

"Who am I? I am Katherine Steiner-Davion, daughter of Melissa and Hanse Davion. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that will grind the Liao line to dust beneath its heel, sweetheart! The people of the Federated Commonwealth, the innocents that your terrorists murdered by the thousands, sent me. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see."

Well, I like that she going by Chicago Rules

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #170 on: 05 March 2018, 15:56:34 »
Well, yes, but - they can get away with it, if only because they have tighter controls on communications.

After thinking about it, this strikes roughly the right tone, with (I presume) the F-C military about to gear up for a military response.  One where, "They bombed the biggest hospital on my home planet", makes for war crimes.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #171 on: 06 March 2018, 06:41:34 »
If I wanted the entire Inner Sphere to turn against the FedCom because their ruler has just turned genocidally insane, and most likely a large part of the FedCom itself joining them in the effort to depose Katherine for the same reason, that´s pretty much how I´d do it.

I disagree with you.
The people are under constant attack, civilians are slaughtered and nothing is done. The people will scream for counterattack.

Just look at reality. After 9/11 do you know how many revenge fantasies against Bin Laden were found on the net?

Sun Tzu and Wob are bullies. And you dont stop bullies by talking to them.
How I know this? Because I was the victim of bullying myself.
My sister, who is a left wing loony, talked to my torturers. She wanted them to see reason, be nice, how they hurt their brother etc.
The result: My torturers had even more ammo to hurt me and now they knew, from my sisters mouth, where they could me hurt even more.

No, bullys are not stopped by talking to them, inviting them to coffee and cake.
Bullys are stopped by going medievil on them.
I did. And I frightened them. And I was left alone for one pause between two school lessons.
Now I know I was too lenient, because the bullying never stopped.

You have to confront the bully and hammer home into his/her skull that they are mortal and can die. Only if they feel their mortality they will back off.

And thats what Katherine should do in this story.
Have you forgotten what WoB did in the original timeline? They killed the pregnant wife of the Regulan Prince just to teach him a lesson. Do you think that by killing a few Manei Domini you would frighten them? No, they would thank you for weeding out the weaklings among them.

Both Sun Tzu (remember in which world he grew up - wasnt there once an article or book where it was said that he feared that sooner or later he would be asked to prove his loyalty to his mother by undergoing toture?) and WoB are nasty people who can only be described as sociopaths or psychopaths. They live violence on a daily basis that would send normal people into a catatonic state in no time.

So to make them sit up and take notice you have to hit them with the BIG hammer. As Niccolo Machiavelli wrote in "The Prince": "When you take power, commit a big atrocity at the beginning of your rule. Then everybody knows that you are no pushover. Over time the people will forget it partially but deep down they will remember it and never try to fool you because they know what happens if. If you do this not, then the people will think you are weak, they will fool you and when you strike then, then you will look weak and soft and overreacting."

So, if Katherine goes Amaris (remember what I wrote about the cobalt clad nuclear weapons?) Sun Tzu and WoB will get the shock of their lives. They consider her weak, but now she plays in the same league as they do. And dictators hate equally powerful enemies. They fear them, because they only strike at those who are weaker as them because if they loose, they loose not only power but their lives. Or as Cersei said in GoT:“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.”

And a last thought:
In one of the Mercenary Handbooks it was mentioned that every few years someone would try to reconstitute the Greenhaven Gestapo. Then one or more Houses (if not the other Mercenaries) would stomp this person flat. You know, the Ares Convention etc.
But when House Kurita or Liao do something like Kentares, Northwind or the Biological Research Station on a Liao planet that was mentioned in one of the Succession War Atlas, then the only reaction is: "Oh yes, thats Kurita. They always do those things. Just accept the atrocity and be a good boy. Here is a cookie."

Quod licet iovi non licet bovi.
(What is allowed to Jupiter is not allowed to the ox.)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #172 on: 06 March 2018, 13:10:31 »
And a last thought:[/size]In one of the Mercenary Handbooks it was mentioned that every few years someone would try to reconstitute the Greenhaven Gestapo. Then one or more Houses (if not the other Mercenaries) would stomp this person flat. You know, the Ares Convention etc.But when House Kurita or Liao do something like Kentares, Northwind or the Biological Research Station on a Liao planet that was mentioned in one of the Succession War Atlas, then the only reaction is: "Oh yes, thats Kurita. They always do those things. Just accept the atrocity and be a good boy. Here is a cookie."Quod licet iovi non licet bovi. (What is allowed to Jupiter is not allowed to the ox.)

A smallish mercenary unit can be squished, the FedSuns wasn't really in a position to do anything about the Kentares Massacre as they were too busy losing the war to the Draconis Combine

There is also something of a difference, albeit shades of black rather than anything else, between specifically targeting someone for torture and unpleasant "collateral damage" from an attack whether with a normal weapon or weapon of mass destruction
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: 07 March 2018, 10:22:34 »
Seriously? Did you miss the part about the bulk of their forces being out of position so much that garrison forces are being forced to dig in until reinforcements arrive? Sending her military out on an uncontrolled spree will only get them bogged down on targets they assault, while leaving the positions they left behind for a CCAF that has now gained momentum and morale. What's more, citizens getting the short end of the stick is Tuesday on Sian. You seriously think Sun Tzu would care?

No. These high value targets are the best way. Random citizens getting killed won't get to Sun Tzu like it would to Steiner-Davions or even Mariks. Assaulting the places where they think they are most secure is the best way to get a Liao's attention.

Worse. A visibly insane Katherine will open her up to internal strife among her own people. This isn't canon Katherine that had a few years worth of propaganda to paint her as the sane princess. Going psycho without warning will invite mutiny.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #174 on: 07 March 2018, 15:35:57 »
You are right that a lot of forces are away fighting the Clans. But the FedCom would be more than stupid to send ALL forces away. Some forces are left in place. And those you can send to attack.

And have you forgotten the aftermath of Kentares in the First Succession War. There the Davion defenders did also make uncontrolled attacks.

According to Interstellar Operations page 368 every world has a Garrison of 2+ infantry, 1+ armor and 0+ mech battalions.
While that is not much (I once started a thread about that topic) they are at least tripwires for invading forces. And if WMDs are released, then at least for the first attack they are unstoppable.

And no, I do not mean that the defenders just fire one nuke at the landing Liao forces. Make it at least battalion sized, so 20+ nukes blanked the landing area.
Even Sun Tzu will blanch if his invasion force is nearly wiped out.

And as only Com Star has control of the HPG network in the FedCom, it will take some time for the news to reach House Liao that their Invasion force was wiped out.
So when Sun Tzu gets this message or his regional information center that can change strategy of the invading forces, by that time more than one invasion force has bit the proverbial bullet and is no longer combatworthy or existing.

And if the FedCom uses the tactic of the Combine during the battle of Luthien (take some industrialmechs, put some armor on them to make them look like real Battlemechs and hide a few nukes on the battlefield), then even a combat drop will just see the destruction of the Liao forces.

Yes, I know I sound like a General Amos Forlough, but do not forget:
The SLDF fought to win. And in the Reunification War they had no HPGs, but still won.
And that is the difference between the FedCom or any other state in the IS and the SLDF. In the IS you are trained to prolong a conflict. You are not trained to END THE THREAT.
The SLDF was trained for that.
Just imagine the SLDF fighting like House Steiner.
Then Commanding General Kerensky the 15th would be fighting against Lord Amaris the 23th. And the SLDF would have taken maybe 15 worlds of the Terran Hegemony, not more.

And to insane Katherine. She is not going psycho.If she issues a ultimatum first, that either Liao and WoB stop their terror attacks or all hell will break loose, she puts the hot potato into the lap of Sun Tzu ands WoB.
And if they do not behave, she has all the justification she needs.
If Sun Tzu and WoB dont care about collateral damage, then so be it. The SLDF rescinded the Ares convention during the Reunification War, too.
And telling the people that you are going for tu quoque, using the same tactics as the enemy is legal.
Just ask Admiral Chester Nimitz and Admiral Dönitz.
Both gave the order for unrestricted submarine warfare.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #175 on: 08 March 2018, 03:54:41 »
FedCom does not have the mobile forces for a counterattack yet. If they did the Capellan March would have done so already. IIRC it's well within the Capellan March Lord's authority. Digging into the shallow pool that is the planetary garrisons only leaves you with underdefended planets in the face of a resurgent CCAF. What's more these planetary garrisons already have their hands full with pre-positioned terror cells.

Did you just advocate the FedCom nuking their own planets? That kind of escalation is the height of stupidity. FedCom isn't the only people with nukes in there, after all. Both the CCAF and the WOB have them too. Even if the FedCom's HPG network is controlled by Comstar, mobile HPG's are a thing. No telling what WOB has lurking somewhere close.

IN fact, warning Sun Tzu and the Wobblies that she'll unleash them is gonna go over about as well as your sister talking to the bullies. It will only encourage them more. Because any way you look at it, the losses and collateral damage are going to be in the FedCom. Not the CapCon where it can hurt them.

You seem to be advocating some sort of eye for an eye exchange where the FedCom gets to target Capellan civilians in revenge for their own being hit. It won't work. That eye is blind as far as the CC is concerned. The CC simply does not hold their citizenry in as high regard as the FC does. No matter how many you kill, you're just wasting resources if you don't have a higher military and strategic goal in mind.

For all of your dealings with bullies, you seem to have never learned. You hit them where it hurts. Civilian collateral damage hurts the FC leadership, which is why Sun Tzu did it. It won't hurt him back if the FC retaliate in kind.

And spare us the lecture about ENDING THE THREAT. The FC simply does not have the resources in place to do that yet. That is most certainly in the cards as Katherine promised Sun Tzu, but in the meantime the way to hurt Sun Tzu is to hit the things he considers valuable. The security of his immediate family and his court.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2018, 03:56:33 by Intermittent_Coherence »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #176 on: 08 March 2018, 07:08:29 »
  [copper]
  Now then, now then, wot’s all this?  Gettin’ a bit warm in ’ere, innit?
  Everyone, kindly take it back a couple of notches.  Civil, reasonable discussion about possible in-universe courses of action can help the writer guide and improve his story; getting overly invested in how the characters and their nations should take blood-soaked revenge is only going to lead to full-blown personal attacks, and no-one wants to see Warnings issued or the thread locked.
  / [copper]

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #177 on: 08 March 2018, 10:01:43 »
Okay so right now:
Sun-Tzu Liao, has had his sister in a secure site killed and sent the video of the operators doing it for public viewing
He lost his Mask director and the security team protecting her.

Even if he not public effected, he will be privately as those should have been the 2 hardest targets to take out in in all of the CC, besides a direct strike on him.  Here an odd question with Kali now dead, who is next in the line of succession of the CC in this AU?

His command staff got to now be worried about their own safety, not only from FC hitters but well Sun-Tzu Liao lashing out like his mom and grandfather.

Then you have "Thomas Marik" who is making sure the the FC will get everyone on their list alive or dead in FWL, even directing SAFE if I understood correctly to help.  Because he knows that Sun-Tzu Liao, has stepped over the cliff and is trying hard to keep from drawn into son-in-law war.

Right now Katherine is following a plan that I can see Hanse having setup as emergency plan, just incase of this kinda of thing happened.  I will assume that there is a list of targets in the DC, had the DC done something stupid like this.

I'm truly interested to what her moves are when she has to go off the plan her Dad set up.  It is interesting that in this timeline that she seem more informed of her Dad's plans.  I wonder if she has knowledge of Joshua Double plan?

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #178 on: 04 April 2018, 13:46:02 »
AN: I want to thank gladiusone for the excellent Omake that makes up the core of this chapter. It captures the pathos and vengeful triumph I suspect all of the FC forces are feeling at this moment.

Taken from the daily FC operational briefing provided to Field Marshal Ranier Poulin, Supreme Commander of “Operation Clover Spear”, declassified October 9th, 3076.

“..current Jade Falcon and Steel Viper operations are characterized as “chaotic, but recovering” due to the current pause in operations. We expect enough ammunition and POL restocks to be on-hand within the next ten days to jump off for the third wave sometime in early November. The fall of Sudeten has eased the logistical situation due to the improved cargo handling facilities both at L5 and planet side.”

“SIGINT and HUMINT sources have detected signs of an impending Steel Viper counterattack coming within the next 10-15 days (see Appendix A – Enemy Dispositions and intentions) for details on this, but we feel confident we can defeat any counterattack they mount due to the fact that they have no intelligence as to current defenses of potential target worlds and from the size of the logistical dumps we have captured, it suggests that both the Falcons and Vipers were having supply problems even before Clover Spear commenced.”

Sudeten, Part 2

Attackers: Von Strang’s Legion (Reinforced Regiment, Elite), Wolf’s Dragoon’s Volunteer Cluster, Provisional Royal Guards Battalion.

Defenders: Doberung Garrison Cluster, Clan Jade Falcon, saKhan’s Provisional Keshik, Clan Jade Falcon, “Hazen’s Heroes” Cluster (scratch three trinary cluster of a mix of solahma trainers and sibko children who fought as infantry).

Results:  The defense of Maakar Island by the scratch force of Jade Falcon defenders was by all accounts, brave, determined, and doomed.  After a short, violent bombardment by Dragoon warships and FC aerospace of the fixed defenses in the early morning hours, Von Strang’s Legion performed an avalanche drop right on top of “Hazen’s Heroes.” The Falcon defenders met the initial drop by Von Strang’s Legion gamely and fought hard every step of the way to the command bunker, where Von Strang was hit in the flank by the Falcon Provisional Keshik. Even with a weight and technology advantage favoring the Falcons, the Legion, wheeled to meet them and held them in place, coolly meeting them head to head and unhorsing saKhan Chistu in the initial volleys.

After a long four hour fight, Jamie Wolf arrived with his Volunteer Cluster, built mostly around the elements of Zeta Battalion and a few warriors from the other component units of the Dragoons, they dropped behind the Provisional Keshik, and the Legion and the Dragoons closed the vise in another two hours of a fight that was described as “like firing submachineguns at each other in a vidphone booth, with blindfolds.”

A counterattack by the remains of the Doberung into the flank of the Dragoons was met by the provisional Royal Guards Battalion, and smashed handily, with copious assistance from airstrikes by aerospace elements from the Legion, the Dragoons and the Royal Guards.

Two hours later, the senior surviving officer, a Star Captain Lisl, ordered all surviving Jade Falcon forces to surrender. It was mute testimony to the severity of the short, sharp fight, that only 80 Jade Falcon EPWs were taken, but among them was saKhan Vandervahn Chistu himself. He has since been handed over to LIC and MOJ officials for debriefing.  Sudeten was declared secure by Jamie Wolf on October 9th, 3056.

1800m AGL above Maakar Island
Sudeten
Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
October 9th, 3056

Juliette grunted as the DropShop shuddered around her 'Mech, the Tepes clearly hitting turbulence. Glancing at the status display, she nodded, feeling the weight of her neurohelmet with the gesture. Flipping switches on her console, she activated the Legion-wide circuit. "Legionaires. You know me. I have no grand speech for you: simply know that this, today, is our day. This is the first step on the long road home. We have fought on a dozen worlds, slaughtered a thousand beasts, but today, my Legion," she glanced over at the rapidly ticking altimeter, "Today, we murder a khan."

With that, the bottom dropped out of the world as all three of her Legion's 'Mech carrier DropShips deployed their cargo. Instead of dropping from orbit, wrapped in ablative cocoons and rocket engines, her 'Mechs were dropping from low altitude, relying on strap-on jump packs to break their fall ... mostly.

The Dragoon WarShip had managed to suppress the Falcon's heavy weapon turrets, and a swarm of Legion and FedCom fighters had distracted the anti-air weapons of the island, enough to allow three Overlord class ships to penetrate their defenses and deploy their passengers ... right on top of the Falcon defenders.

Screaming in fury, Juliette's Devastator landed feet first on a Falcon 'Mech, smashing the ugly, green painted thing to the ground with a hundred tons of gravity-accelerated force. Biting her lip, she shuddered to find her footing, then focused on the enemy ... the targets ... that surrounded her.

Swinging the long, heavily armoured barrel of her right gauss rifle, she smashed a Falcon Galahad aside, before raising her left rifle to place almost against the Rifleman-like 'Mech's torso and pumped a 125kg slug of nickel-iron into it, slagging the second-line 'Mech's engine and smashing it's gyro to splinters.

She was vaguely aware of her men and women fighting around her, with her friend and bodyguard Andre Winters, who had traded in his normal quad-gauss rifle toting Marauder II for a Berserker for this fight, decapitating a Falcon Baboon, and Shou squaring off his King Crab and letting loose with both heavy, rapid fire autocannons to shred a Phoenix Hawk IIC. But she couldn't focus on that, as the Falcons were fighting back, downing a brand-new Rakshasa from Third Company, First Battalion. "Tighten up, people," she shouted across the Legion's channel, even as rocket-assisted pallets slammed into the ground, dispensing their cargo of Patton, Rommel and Manticore tanks, firing autocannon, gauss rifles and PPCs even before they were completely unstrapped. Ferrocrete crumbled beneath their treads as they advanced, adding their firepower to the battle against the Falcons. "Concentrate fire! We've trained for this! Bring them down! Keep up the pressure!" she howled and grinned in savage fury as a Legion Banshee stepped on the cockpit of a downed Guillotine IIC, crushing the pilot.

"Omnis!" cried one of her 'Mech pilots, trilling lasers in the background, "Falcon Omnis hitting us from the wes-" The signal cut out, and Juliette swore, even as her PPCs savaged a dodging Falcon medium.

"Legionaries! Wheel!" she ordered, and in practiced efficiency, the black-coated 'Mechs of the Legion lurched to obey her command.

SaKhan Vandervhan Chistu swore viciously as he strode in his Warhawk towards the Docks, where the Spheroid attackers had landed. The day had started out well, all things considered: while the massive, brutal onslaught of the Federated Commonwealth upon the Jade Falcon Liberation Zone had been a shock to the system, especially an invasion by the thrice-accursed Dragoons upon Sudeten itself. Still, he had rallied, gathered the remains of the planet's defending Clusters to the Island where the backup command centre was located, protected by heavy weapons and fortifications. Fortunately, the Dragoons and their freebirth allies were savaged by the fighting as well, and this had given Chistu the chance to use the Island's HPG to contact other units and redirect them towards Sudeten. The planet's central and strategic location made it a perfect rally point, and he had already managed to order three fractured Clusters and two WarShips to join him, as well as a fresh Cluster, escorted by a Falcon Aegis, direct from the Homeworlds with the latest in Clan weapons and warriors.

But this blasted attack was frustrating matters: bad enough that the traitor Wolf had demanded his surrender - as though that were a possibility! - but now nameless lucre-warriors were sent to vex him. The incompetence of his subordinates had allowed them to land on the Island, so it was up to him and his personal forces to deal with the invaders. Fifteen heavy and assault OmniMechs should be enough to shatter this little band of thugs.

Even as his Trinary approached the fighting, marching around heavily reinforced buildings, he overheard the radio chatter from the other Falcon leaders.

"Connor! Get that stravag Zeus before -"

"- they are ignoring zelbrigen! Honorless freebirths, they -"

"Well, return the favor! Concentrate your fire on -"

"Neg, you cretin: my warriors are not trained for such gutter tactics! Star Commander Fuller, on your eight! I -"

Cursing into his neurohelmet, Chistu stepped around the last corner, and faced the madness.

Black painted Battlemechs and tanks were slugging it out with green painted Clan 'Mechs at point blank range. This was not the elegant ballet of destruction that the Jade Falcons preferred, dancing about their opponents with deadly precision, using their speed and range advantage to tear them apart: this was brutal, uncompromising, savage. His jaw dropped as he witnessed a Charger and a Grasshopper grip the arms of a solhama 'Mech, so that a Spheroid Axeman could slam its titular hatchet into the green 'Mech's cockpit. Elsewhere, a Warhammer, Flashman and Penetrator trio bracketed a Hunchback IIC that appeared to have expended its autocannon ammunition, the medium 'Mech virtually disintegrated under a barrage of energy weapon fire.

True, the Falcon defenders were giving as good as they were receiving: after all, Clan weapons were still vastly superior, being more accurate, more heat efficient, deadlier ton-for-ton, and Clan armor was more protective. Many spheroid 'Mechs were already crippled or destroyed, and many others showed clear battle damage. Yet the fighting was more vicious and close than any the Falcon saKhan had seen since Tukkayyid, and even the way the attackers were panted black reminded him of the pristine white of the Com Guards.

In the back of his mind, something about the black-painted 'Mechs tugged at his brain, something about a brutal raiding force that struck at isolated garrisons and units, but he forced himself to concentrate as he opened a channel. "Who dares attack the Falcon? Who brings doom upon -" he cut off as something grabbed the ankle of his Warhawk, and he looked down to be stunned by the black Caesar, it's legs blown off and one arm removed, scrabbling at his Omni's leg. The sheer stubborn desire to fight, to struggle to simply annoy him was surprising, and he took a moment to lower two ER PPCs and send bolts of charged particles to vaporize the offending 'Mech's cockpit and pilot. "Who brings doom upon themselves in this way?"

The comm channel crackled, and while the voice was of a young woman, the words send icy shivers down his spine: he had heard them before, many years ago. "I, the Baroness of Strang, care not for your new names." Horror and rage fought within him at the sheer gall at someone claiming that name and title. "Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million-like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

From the melee came a massive, blocky Devastator, deep rents in its armor but still standing tall. No markings relieved the dark paint over the metal, but Chistu knew that this was the bandit's leader. "You killed my father. Stole my world. Murdered my people."

From cover, an infantryman in Clan fatigues rushed the mercenary, raising a shoulder mounted SRM launcher. Without breaking stride, the hundred ton 'Mech stepped on the unfortunate solhama trooper, leaving little but a bloodstain and twisted metal. "I come to return the favor."

Jaime Wolf settled his neurohelmet on his shoulders as the Overlord-C class Dropship around him shuddered in flight. It had taken hours to scrape together a full Cluster of 45 'Mechs, the heaviest, freshest and most battle ready he had available, and it may already have been too late: the scattered reports from the fighting suggested that casualties among the Legion were high, and there was no guarantee that any would still be alive when his scratch troop arrived. Still, intelligence suggested that enough missile and cannon batteries had been neutralized to allow a DropShip to insert his force onto the island, and he planned to take advantage of that fact to wipe out the Falcon defenders once and for all.

"... don't know why we're doing this: it's the ****** von Strang bitch! The ****** Vampire!" he overheard over the general channel. He knew exactly who it was but chose not to interfere: the legacy of the von Strang name was well earned, even centuries after the Coup, and he understood the sentiment. Still, it wasn't the first time he had had to fight alongside someone he disliked. Luthien, for example ...

Instead, he cleared his throat. "In ages past, cities would be surrounded by high, thick walls of brick or stone. Cannon - not autocannon, but muzzle loading tubes of bronze or iron - would be used to batter a hole in the wall. Then the call would be sent out for volunteers ... volunteers for the forlorn hope.

"The forlorn hope were sent in to force the breech, to drive back the defenders, to clear away obstacles, to provide a gap for the main force to push through into the city. It was brutal, hand-to-hand fighting, and the casualties were, understandably, high. The name, after all, proclaimed one’s chances of survival: slim to none.

"Nevertheless, whenever the call went up, there were always those among the attackers who would volunteer to join the forlorn hope, because while they may die, if they survived, they would be guaranteed fame, glory, wealth and promotion. For in taking such a gamble, for risking everything and braving such danger, they demonstrated their courage and dedication, and in doing so, saved the lives of those who would follow."

For a moment, the channel was silent, as almost four dozen Mechwarriors waited for their commander to continue: the only sound was the roar of the DropShip's engines and the hiss of the environmental systems.

"That is what the Legion is doing today. They are the forlorn hope. We follow in their footsteps, and whatever happens, no matter what we may think of them, we will recognize their courage and dedication."

He closed his microphone, and leant back in his command chair, closing his eyes as he prepared himself. For the most part, his men accepted his words. Still, one wiseass just had to get the last word in.

"Courage? More like sheer bloodthirst. ****** vampire ..."

Chistu grunted as he came too, as he was dragged over a chunk of rubble. He opened his eyes, groaning as he looked up at the burly infantryman in black fatigues, ballistic plate vest and helmet who had a firm grip on his cooling vest. Pieces of ferrocrete and splinters of armor plating scraped and tore at his bare limbs, and he could feel the rumble and thud of continuing battle in the distance: the war for Sudeten was not yet over.

Still, even as he shook his head to clear it, he was hauled up and then tossed to the ground, next to a fallen war machine. Forcing himself up on his forearms, he looked up to stare up at a young, red haired woman wearing a black cooling suit, resting her butt on the severed hand of a 'Mech like a throne. She glared disdainfully at him as her hands played with a long, thin strand of myomer. That awful, familiar and hateful voice flowed from her mouth: "Don't bother getting up, creature: this won't take long." Around him stood a circle of soldiers, infantry and dismounted Mechwarriors and tankers, all glaring daggers at him.

Again, the ageing Clansman struggled to concentrate. Last thing he remembered was fighting von Strang, his Warhawk against her Devastator. The infamy of having a 'Mech designed by the Great Kerensky himself being piloted by the spawn of the Vampire had been infuriating, but the pirate was deceptively nimble and skilled: despite being in a lighter, faster Omni Mech, the battle had been fierce ... the details faded as fast as he grasped at them, his head pounding in neural feedback, likely from an ammunition explosion.

"My father was never confused or deceived by your pretense and false names: he knew who you were the moment you arrived in our home system," she continued. "Yet even he failed to perceive just how low you had fallen, out there in the Dark. What madness drove you to abandon your humanity, I cannot comprehend, and choose not to even try. When an invasive species infests one's biosphere, you do not try to reason with it: you break out the pesticide." Her hands jerked decisively, and his dazed mind finally recognized what she had been fashioning.

A noose.

Even as she tossed the coil to one of her thugs, who threw one end over a nearby section of broken 'Mech to create a crude gallows, he gabbled in horror, shaking his head in denial as the fiber was slipped over his head, fighting feebly against the strong pirates who held him fast. "I ... I ... I AM JADE FALCON!" he finally forced out of his lips.

She smiled at him, baring sharpened fangs that belonged in no human mouth. "I know. That is why you are about to die."

Despite her bravado, Juliette did her best to hide her shaking as a team of her men gripped the rope, ready to haul the Falcon khan into the air. Father, I know this is not the man who killed you, not their pestilent leader, but he is that murderer's second, his right hand. Until I have my hands on Crichell, he will have to do.

The thud of a stamping 'Mech drew her attention away from the impending lynching, and she blinked as she looked up at the blue and gold Archer that strode towards her little gathering. The exterior speakers crackled. "Colonel von Strang: stand down!"

Fury rose in her. "Back off, Wolf!" she cried, and noted out of the corner of her eye as the Falcon scrabbled at the noose, trying to loosen it. Should have tied his hands. Oh well. "This is my operation! My assault! My justice!"

"It is murder," Wolf rejoined, coming to a halt, the ground shaking beneath seventy tons of war engine.

"Yes, I know! It is! And well earned!" she insisted. Raising a hand, she called out, "Haul away, boys!"

"No!" shouted Wolf, but her Legionnaires obeyed her, and put their backs into it, pulling on the rope and raising Chistu into the air by his neck.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's perspective) the Tanker's neck failed to snap, and his eyes bulged out as he fought to force his fingers beneath the corded pseudo-muscle wrapped around his throat. Taking in the glorious sight of the penultimate leader of her mortal foe slowly strangling to death, she barely noticed the Dragoon clambering down a rope from his 'Mech's cockpit. One of her men moved to intercept him, but the ageing mercenary shoved him aside. "You cannot do this!" he stated.

She glanced over at him, taking in his greying hair and slight build, barely taller than her own. "I can, I will, I must!" She turned back to the hanging, fury fighting with satisfaction within her. "You turned down this battle, Wolf: you could have fought here, bled here, died here, like so many of my Legionnaires! My Kindred, my Forsaken, my Damned. You lost all right to decide who lives and who dies! That right is mine!"

"And when the Archon hears that you murdered this man in cold blood? Not killed him in battle, but lynching him like a common pirate?"

"He is a common pirate!" she cried, turning to face Wolf again. "You just want to save the life of a fellow Tanker, Wolf! Beasts run together, honor among thieves and murderers -"

"Girl, I have hated the Falcons longer than you've been alive!" he shouted, gripping her shoulder through her suit's padding. Furious, an infantryman raised his Blazer rifle, but she waved him back. "I have lost my father to the Falcons, my brother to the Eagle, my friend to the Dragon. I have walked the path of vengeance and blood feud, and it has cost me, and it is costing me still!"

"I am willing to pay!" Juliette shouted back, her voice breaking as her eyes started to tear up.

"And your men? Your Legion? Your world? I know Hanse, I know Melissa ... ******, I know Victor! Whatever your bargain with them, if you take this life in this manner, they will wash their hands of you! Do you want this all to have been for nothing?"

Tears flowing down her face, she glared up at the kicking, twitching Chistu, whose face was turning purple as he glared down at her. "They murdered my father!" she wailed.

"I know, girl," whispered the legend, whom she had admired for years before learning of his heritage. "And he will pay for his crimes against your world, and a hundred more ... but not like this!"

Her heart tearing in two, her grief raging against her hope, she screamed wordlessly against the universe ... and then raised her hand and chopped it down. Obediently, her men let go of the rope, and the Falcon fell to the ground with a crunch, moaning in agony as one leg snapped against the ground. She took a little solace in that as she sank to one knee, even as Wolf crouched next to her, his hand still gripping her shoulder, while her warriors looked on in shock and surprise.

"Father," she whispered in a small voice, and for once, the indefatigable, indomitable and relentless mercenary they called the Vampire wept, even as the battle for the Falcon's capital in the Inner Sphere ground to a halt, comforted by an old freebirth as her loyal men stood guard, and a hated foe whimpered in fear and pain.

As the sun set, Jaime Wolf found Juliette von Strang standing on the roof of a building, watching as DropShips landed and took off, transporting troops, wounded, booty and supplies. She didn't look up as he approached, and just fiddled with a small chip between her fingers. The part of Wolf that was born in Clan space shuddered at her possession of a khan's codex chip, but the seasoned mercenary in him just shrugged. "Your butcher's bill?"

A flaring of the nostrils was her only sign of distress. "Significant. Twenty-three 'Mech pilots dead, sixty two machines out of commission: we may be able to salvage a dozen of those. Nine tanks and crews lost, and forty-seven infantry dead. Many more are wounded." She smiled tightly. "No aerospace personnel or machines lost, bar minor armor damage and expended munitions, so that's something. As it is, my Legion will be some time rebuilding ... if the war allows us that luxury."

He nodded. "I recall a similar time, long before you were born."

"Misery," she noted, and he grunted. "My losses must seem paltry in comparison to your casualties on that world."

"Perhaps, but that was over weeks. You suffered yours in under six hours." He paused. "'Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won.'"

"Arthur Wellesley. I prefer his opponent: 'Between a battle lost and a battle won, the distance is immense ... and there stand empires.'"

"Boney had a way with words on occasion," admitted Wolf.

The two colonels, one young and female, the other elderly and male, stood in companionable silence for a time, before Juliette spoke again. "I know I can trust my men, but I would appreciate it if you could ... see your way clear to forgetting today's events. Regarding the khan."

Wolf bowed his head. "Of course." He paused. "I believe, in time, you would have regretted -"

She snorted in a most unladylike fashion. "Wolf, I could kill them all, burn their empire to the ground and dance on their ashes. No, this is fitting: let him be their Vercingetorix: a living trophy to parade in front of the crowds. Let him live in misery and humiliation, proof of his people's defeat until shame takes him or they grow weary of him. Less immediately satisfying, of course, but perhaps more so in the long run." Then she glanced over at him. "But this campaign is under the Commonwealth flag, under their rules of engagement. When I retake my home world ... I assure you, the flag I fly shall be black as night.

"No mercy. No quarter. No exceptions."

FLASH FLASH FLASH

NCA NEW AVALON AND HIS FAMILY HAVE BEEN THE VICTIM OF A TERRORIST ATTACK ON NEW AVALON ON 11 OCTOBER, 3056. GALAHAD AND GUENIVERE ARE CONFIRMED KIA. DURAN IS WIA. PROGNOSIS IS IN DOUBT. LE FAY IS NOW NCA. RPT, LE FAY IS NOW NCA. NATURE OF ATTACK IS THOUGHT TO BE CAPELLAN-STATE SPONSORED, RPT CAPELLAN STATE-SPONSORED.

HUNTRESS ORDERS THAT ALL UNITS MAINTAIN CURRENT OPERATIONS AS PER PLAN

PLEASE INFORM YOUR SUBORDINATE COMMANDERS OF EVENTS AND PROCEED ACCORDINGLY.

POULIN

END MSG

FLASH FLASH FLASH

Flash Transmission sent out to all commands involved in Clover Spear, 23 October, 3056 informing them of the attack on New Avalon. Message was declassified after Information Act request made by DBC on 31 January, 3061.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 16:16:45 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #179 on: 04 April 2018, 14:25:47 »
....uh... Wow.