Author Topic: Pirate Color Schemes?  (Read 11711 times)

JustinKase

• Recruit
Pirate Color Schemes?
« on: 05 November 2016, 01:45:00 »
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask - if not, apologies!

Anyone have any reference on the color schemes of Ryan's Rebels, Morgrain's Valkyrate or the Pirates of Toruga?  Looking for 3025 era - preferably.

Only thing I could find was a white pattern for the Death's Consorts (Tortuga)
http://camospecs.com/Unit/Details/753/deaths-consorts

I realize that many pirate 'camo specs' may just be individually painted mechs, or old rusted out versions of the original colors.  But, was curious if there happens to be anything 'official' out there.

Many thanks - in advance!
« Last Edit: 05 November 2016, 02:12:41 by JustinKase »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Pirate Color Schemes?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2016, 06:49:16 »
There's no references to any of them. Given the generally direful lack of supplies that 3025-era pirates suffered, I doubt that any of them even tried for a standardised colour scheme and just simply went with "Whatever we have"
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2016, 12:23:50 »
That is what I figured - but I thought someone might have seen a piece of art or something somewhere that I could emulate ;)

Thanks though!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2016, 23:36:10 »
Look at camospecs online.
Under factions pirates they have Deaths consorts and Morrisons Extractors.
Have a look it might help as they are canon. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2016, 01:21:28 »
Yeah, those are the only things I could find (along with the Belt Pirates).

So, the good news will be that anything I come up with can't be disputed - as long as I avoid era-inappropriate icons ;)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2016, 03:19:30 »
Black and Red are the usual colors. And the Valkyrate logo is Black and White.

Aren't the Tortuga Pirates descendants of Reunification Wars Era AFFS? Might be one avenue you could check.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2016, 07:09:39 »
I seem to recall that there was one outfit that acted like they were outlaws in the Old West going so far as to paint bandannas over their 'Mech's "faces".
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2016, 18:30:18 »
Dubious source, I know, but the cover of the Battletech Reinforcements box depicts a lance from Santander's Killers. The four of rhem are all flat grey; two of them have partial camouflage on their legs.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2016, 00:39:36 »
The bandit mask 'mechs sounds quite entertaining ;)

I may go with the Santander's Killers idea, if my first round doesn't work out :D

Black and Red are the usual colors. And the Valkyrate logo is Black and White.

Aren't the Tortuga Pirates descendants of Reunification Wars Era AFFS? Might be one avenue you could check.

That is an interesting angle - and thanks for the colors of the Valkyrate, that helps.

Thank you all!

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2016, 14:29:00 »
Decided to go with a bit of a scrap yard style for Ryan's Rebels (3025 era) :

Warning - large image in link below (Stinger Mech with pirate camo)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duxsite-battletech/65640fe39b713973915ad94e769417fcf8d7b5f199f18ce1704cff987d06d45au71.png
« Last Edit: 17 November 2016, 10:29:32 by JustinKase »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2016, 20:19:34 »
Looks good. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2016, 11:38:16 »
I would suspect that most pirate groups would have a "preferred" color scheme, but no hard and fast rules.  That could mean that you'd find one or two lances in a battalion in the "faction" color, and several more with faction markings and colors as stripes or "highlights" (using whatever paints are on hand and look "close enough") added over the original colors, but most would be whatever they happened to be from before, possibly with an emblem or two added for visual identification.  In essence, if you can't afford ammo or replacement parts, and faction cohesion is a matter of "I got nowhere else to go" instead of pride, paint and the motivation to apply it are both low on the list of priorities.

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2016, 12:53:15 »
@SnakeSpinner : Thanks, glad you like it!

@Kovax : Yeah - I was kind of thinking along the same lines.  That they really wouldn't care much, getting it working would be the primary goal.  Also, with Ryan having even ticked off the other bandit kings in that area, I don't know that he has much in the way of facilities (until he joins up with Morgaine to form the Greater Valkyrate).

With that in mind, I had gone the route of a cobbled together 'mech.  Using parts of units that Ryan's Rebels might have encountered around that era.  Then added in some dirt/grime/weathering and some graffiti.  I kept the graffiti rather tame - such as adding horns to the Lyran Guard emblem (instead of commenting on the Archon's love of horses) and converting the Rassalhague Regulars unit emblem into a makeshift Ryan's Rebels logo.

I kind of picture it as a form of trophy taking as well - "sure you blew my arm off, but I survived, and now I am back, and have the arm of one of your comrades" :)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duxsite-battletech/861331eee9601d5f7cef26624b40cbc7d6d2c1c64e2cb74290482b438d4b4692u71.png
« Last Edit: 17 November 2016, 10:28:51 by JustinKase »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2016, 14:16:14 »
There's no references to any of them. Given the generally direful lack of supplies that 3025-era pirates suffered, I doubt that any of them even tried for a standardised colour scheme and just simply went with "Whatever we have"

Or "Whatever we just stole". Better hope it wasn't pink and purple....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2016, 16:13:00 »
If your guys stole pink and purple paint: First, shame on them for not looking before stealing, and grabbing the wrong stuff.  Second, it's still eminently useful for loading into fluid guns and demoralizing your opponents by turning the pride of their army into "PansyMechs", so they run home crying while you load up the rest of their stuff.  Third, add a bit of black to those colors and you get a couple of really grim "dead and bloated" shades, which suits a pirate unit just fine

A pirate unit uses or makes do with whatever it has, or whatever it can get, by whatever method it can get it.  If it doesn't take too much time or effort to do, it might even look good.  A few individuals may even take pleasure in making their killing machine look threatening or coldly efficient, and spend time on the paint; they'll likely be the exceptions, but probably not at all out of place in the group.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2016, 16:15:52 by Kovax »

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2016, 16:38:04 »
Primer Gray, with rust patches, some random mismatched camouflage applied to only parts of the mech.  There shouldn't be so much a unit paint scheme as a set of "colors" like a gang.  Where the point is quick identification by say painting a big patch of a particular color on roughly the same part of each mech in the unit.  Some would probably take pains to actually make it look good while others would just splash a few gallons of paint on and call it good enough.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

JustinKase

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2016, 01:33:10 »
I think I'll give the gray primer and patchwork a shot - should cut down on paint time ;)

Pink and Purple you say?

Warning - large image in link below (Rhonda's Highlander and a FWL Awesome)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duxsite-battletech/0fad8ffb33b9eaa7d0228f7e51abfaeaf8af3c4bcd4bd6d139aefeaa35cdadb5u71.png

Nope - nothing menacing there :)
« Last Edit: 17 November 2016, 10:27:42 by JustinKase »

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2016, 11:04:44 »
Nice job of making pink and purple look scary.

As for the variety of what you'd find in a pirate operation, I'm reminded of the late-war German armor camo schemes.  After the beautiful factory camo pattern of desert sand with irregular dark green blobs and small black marks was abandoned due to the added time and expense, the desert sand base color was still sprayed on at the factory, but the camo colors were shipped directly to the front line units to be added however they could.  In some cases, how it was applied and the resulting look could be interesting or even impressive, while in others you could essentially leave it at "it was applied".

Several units used paint sprayers to produce soft-edged irregular blobs similar to the previous official scheme, or in wavy lines (either mostly vertical or mostly horizontal), while at least one outfit used a "swirling motion" as they walked down the sides of the vehicles, producing a rather odd and unconvincing overlapping spiral pattern (Sorry guys, but it's NOT helping the tank blend into the background).  Another company used a broom to produce "grass-like" patterns running vertically up the sides of the machines.  I suspect that the paint may have been poured or splashed on in some cases, but never saw a decent enough photo of that to actually confirm it.  I suspect that the fear of charges for "criminal waste of supplies" would have prevented a lot of photos of those particular units from being taken.  The final look and pattern depended entirely on the people assigned to the task, but the colors themselves were identical from unit to unit.....and that is all in line with an "official" color scheme by an oppressive dictatorship.  "Your papers are all in order, but your paint ain't."
« Last Edit: 15 November 2016, 11:06:42 by Kovax »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2016, 23:44:30 »
Pink is allways an awesome colour scheme

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2016, 09:14:09 »
PLEASE reduce the image sizes! [copper]
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2016, 21:24:06 »
Rhonda's Highlander looks great.
It just shouts out to her opponents fear me or you will be pinked. :D
Growing up is optional.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2016, 21:39:58 »
Great stuff!

silverfoxdmt73

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2017, 09:49:24 »
@SnakeSpinner : Thanks, glad you like it!

@Kovax : Yeah - I was kind of thinking along the same lines.  That they really wouldn't care much, getting it working would be the primary goal.  Also, with Ryan having even ticked off the other bandit kings in that area, I don't know that he has much in the way of facilities (until he joins up with Morgaine to form the Greater Valkyrate).

With that in mind, I had gone the route of a cobbled together 'mech.  Using parts of units that Ryan's Rebels might have encountered around that era.  Then added in some dirt/grime/weathering and some graffiti.  I kept the graffiti rather tame - such as adding horns to the Lyran Guard emblem (instead of commenting on the Archon's love of horses) and converting the Rassalhague Regulars unit emblem into a makeshift Ryan's Rebels logo.

I kind of picture it as a form of trophy taking as well - "sure you blew my arm off, but I survived, and now I am back, and have the arm of one of your comrades" :)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duxsite-battletech/861331eee9601d5f7cef26624b40cbc7d6d2c1c64e2cb74290482b438d4b4692u71.png

I'm starting an AToW campaign based in the Oberon Confederation in 3026, with the players working for Grimm III and Redjack Ryan will be making an appearance sooner or later as an opponent.

I've not been able to find much in the way of canon info on paint schemes but i recall that the original founders of the OC were from the 65th Lyran Regulars. If any camo schemes from that regiment are online or in print maybe you could use something similar?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2017, 11:07:06 »
The White+Orange stripes color scheme of the Locust on the original cover of Decision at Thunder Rift is an Oberon 'Mech, from the Sigurd militia.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2017, 12:45:33 »
Color schemes lol, they cannot even afford to make their mechs functional much less look nice. I'd expect bare metal and blast damage, the only color scheme being what it was when the pirate stole it in the first place.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2017, 06:25:52 »
There's a thought:
Faded out and rusted over with occasional carbon scoring.

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 23 April 2017, 05:25:37 »
Somehow, I picture a pirate, who has only his own resources and wits to rely on, rather than a well-funded government apparatus, would almost certainly be painting his mech in whatever he felt to be the best camouflage scheme he could pull off--with the resources he had at hand.

It's the rank and file house units that I see as being standardized in paint schemes, or who would go to any trouble in adding unit badges or markings or insignia. They're the ones with the bureaucracy and the petty discipline to enforce conformity.  For a pirate group, I envision a buncha mechs with fairly random and almost completely unadorned,  camouflage. 

C,mon, nobody willingly paints a star or suchlike on the turret of their tank to serve as a bullseye for an enemy's aiming point unless ordered to by some spit-n-polish brass who's more concerned about appearances than camo effectiveness.
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--