Author Topic: Camacho's Caballeros?  (Read 13145 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Camacho's Caballeros?
« on: 01 October 2020, 17:41:06 »
Hi there. I am reading DRT, the second book of the Rose series. I am not enjoying it much. I did enjoy several of the battlecorps compilations, the first book (main event) of this unit and the first book of the chaos irregulars. I also.lioed the 2 books of the GDL I read.

Are the Camacho's Caballeros enjoyable?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Camacho's Caballeros?
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2020, 18:07:30 »
Close quarters, hearts of chaos, black dragon. I haven’t read them but I’ve heard mixed reviews

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2020, 18:12:55 »
I HAVE read them. Victor Milan wrote some fun books. There up and done.  Its pulp scifi fiction.
Its not 2D characters with these books.  Arguably most lively Battletech books of the original FASA Books.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2020, 07:29:58 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2020, 18:18:38 »
I found them to be some of the best of the Battletech novels. But they are a bit different than the Stackpole big picture stuff. If you're looking for Sphere wide action and politics, these aren't it. But if you want to follow a mid-sized unit over several years, or to find out about the Combine outside of the samurai, then you might enjoy them.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2020, 21:05:12 »
I really like them, and they’re better than Milan’s later Dark Age fiction too.
But like the above comments mention, they’re different to most other BT fiction - but in a good way.
Fleshed out characters, great action scenes with a twist of Hollywood style shoot outs and martial arts hijinx with a good dash of camp samurai/ninja stylings.

I highly recommend!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2020, 00:40:04 »
Sold. I do not like stackpole much, really.
Thanks! Heading to the Kindle store now
« Last Edit: 02 October 2020, 03:46:04 by Elmoth »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2020, 01:09:42 »
I HAVE read them. Victor Milan wrote some fun books. There up and done.  Its pulp scifi fiction.
Its not 2D characters with these books.  Arguably most lively Battletech books oc the original FASA Books.
And they feature my favorite Mary Sue character, Cassie Suthorn.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2020, 07:33:27 »
And they feature my favorite Mary Sue character, Cassie Suthorn.
She indeed is, but in a very good way.  I like her really, she has some serious depth to her.  I wish Milan had continued to write up about the character and the rest of the crew of the 17th Recon Regiment aka Camacho's Caballeros.   I'm grateful that he was included a short story about Suthorn's first years with the unit in the The 25 Years of Arts and Fiction.  Not as lively as previous books, but its nice prequel like thing for her.

Personally i like all the characters and some of the creative things I've read in BattleTech books without making it super unrealistic. Its a joy to read.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2020, 20:44:14 »
I like the CC books because they're written by a master of sci-fi: say what you will about the, uhh, battletechyness of them, they're TECHNICALLY great books to read- for me, that's important. :-)

I also like them as stories: almost every character has depth and motivations, reasons for what they do that isn't plot-level deep.  His mastery of his women leads could be the topic for an entire MFA paper.

And the battletech stuff... ain't that bad, really!  :-)  it's OLD school, right when BattleTech was having this kinda... shift... in both the universe and how it was portrayed, from 3025 tech-short armies to professional regiments fielding state-sponsed Mechs.  in the middle of all that madness comes a regiment of cowboys broadcasting live at station KATN on your FM dial. (in-story joke)

nah, they're worth the read, and if you're a writer or want to be one, then they're worth a second read with a pencil in hand to underline the parts he does well for further study. :-)  enjoy!

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2020, 03:11:01 »
Yeah, strong supporting characters, female characters that feel realistic. The Southwest vibe of the whole unit was a labor of love.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2020, 03:25:28 »
I dunno, I thought they were just okay. I’ve read all three books 2 or 3 times and I would be hardpressed to recount a single scene from any of them. Instead, what sticks in my mind are the unique (for BattleTech) characters. But, again, none of them except for Cassie Suthorn had all that much staying power in my memory.

battleman033

• Recruit
  • Just a normal guy from Germany.
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2020, 20:08:14 »
In my opinion, this is one of the funniest books I've ever read. Just look at it disconsidering everything you ever read about battletech rules, and it's fine. The book is well written, rich in characters and plots, but it is on the verge of being ridiculous by batlletech combat standards. One single, unarmored person, with a vibroblade as primary weapon, with a whole battlemech BATTALION of worth of kills? I think perhaps the main character was the inpiration to the FWLM unit, the Second Oriente Hussars insignia of a person running after an Atlas with a knife.
Battling is a form of art.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2020, 20:12:32 »
I dunno, I thought they were just okay. I’ve read all three books 2 or 3 times and I would be hardpressed to recount a single scene from any of them.

Subash Indrahar's transforming wheelchair/exoskeleton. Milan was spot on tone in that scene!

And Suthorn downing a 'Mech with a clothesline and a sharpened clothpeg. I may exaggerate, but only slightly. Won't forget that in a hurry either.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2020, 20:23:33 »
Isn't that also the series where there were playing Battlemech soccer?? That sticks in my memory right up there with the Mech gymnastics from the Chaos Irregulars books (which I love, by the way...somersaulting flaws and all...)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2020, 21:33:04 »
Subash Indrahar's transforming wheelchair/exoskeleton. Milan was spot on tone in that scene!

And Suthorn downing a 'Mech with a clothesline and a sharpened clothpeg. I may exaggerate, but only slightly. Won't forget that in a hurry either.

It was a broom, not a clothes peg. IIRC.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #15 on: 23 December 2020, 00:47:30 »
Powerline attached to a broom handle.  She lured it into place with annoyance shots with a bolt action rifle, then jammed the power line into a wolverine's knee. Which screwed up the actuator enough that it stumbled and fell. Didn't actually take it out though, just immobilized it for a time while it got back up.

Most of her antimech exploits were mission kills (like getting a locust sunk hip deep in sucking mud), outright disables/destruction are rare.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #16 on: 23 December 2020, 01:29:35 »
The weird thing about Cassie in that scene is that she's part of a penal unit consisting of juvenile gang members being overseen by Maskirovka minders.  Why would such people in Capellan society be given guns, rather than being consigned to the Servitor caste?  Was Larsha really that hard up for warm bodies in their militia that they'd arm Servitors?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2020, 23:04:36 »
Regular army minders. though they vanished quick once deployed. The maskirovka troops appear later on. Though they're very low level ones, just thugs in fancy uniforms.

And they were already servitor caste before being arrested. The penal unit was also specialized in teens, so It was probably a paramilitary reform system.. Take servitor caste criminals still young enough to Reform, and use hard work and propaganda to teach them to be dutiful workers.
Its pointed out that the capcon has a "waste nothing" mentality at the time (3040's iirc) so it would make sense they'd have a system to try and get use even out of criminals.
Those kids being handed rifles and actually deployed into battle just illustrated the sorry shape of the CCAF at the time, especially on worlds on the edge of the periphery like Larsha.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 25 December 2020, 21:35:36 »
Victor Milan painted Capellans on Larsha as thugs.  Frankly, given how he later showed the Combine, when Cassie eventually grew with unit and served. Her parents must seriously screwed up badly, the comparison. The Combine was paradise is you compared to the Confederation socially.