Author Topic: Mods are Awake, Post Our Little Ponies!  (Read 13236 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
Mods are Awake, Post Our Little Ponies!
« on: 03 May 2017, 13:47:45 »

Seriously, though. I just realized that Season 6 7 was out and I'm anxiously waiting for my fiancee to awaken so we can watch them together.

Has anyone thought about the renaissance of children's cartoons over the last eight years or so? I suppose it can be traced back to Adventure Time, as much as I personally dislike that show, and there were outliers here and there before then, but I still think MLP is the best of them - though Gravity Falls comes close.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Re: Mods are Awake, Post Our Little Ponies!
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2017, 14:29:49 »
It's definately not how it was when I was a kid.  Or else it is, but my perspective is so difrent as a father than as a child that I can't tell.

That said, I haden't really delved deep until the last few years, precicelly because my kids only just came into the age for these sort of things recently.  I do like that this show (and one or two others) are intresting enough and have enough for me (the one a week or two back with Starlight babysitting while a bedragled and exausted Cadance and Shining Armor had some alone time, only to realize that they missed the hell of having an infant definately had things I got that my kids didn't);  many shows out there are so banal that I just can't set through a showing, even if my kids love it.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2017, 05:44:33 »
So is this actually the new MLP thread?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2017, 06:56:17 »
My son likes Blaze and Paw Patrol. Daughter though likes MLP and is getting heavily into anime. Cartoons overall these days are getting kinda dumb though with a few exceptions.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2017, 15:19:20 »
Might as well be since the old one hit 50 and I don't see anyone else crazy enough to do it ;D

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2017, 20:10:00 »
Shoot, everypony here is crazy enough.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2017, 20:35:46 »
So my eldest niece made a purchase a few days ago.

She decided to consult with me, because she has no experience with running a game, and we ran my nine year old and thirteen year old nieces through the introductory adventure. Fun was had by all.

It's a very simplistic game system, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's easier for youngsters to grasp, a good gateway drug.

Not really my bag though (it actually tells you violence isn't supposed to be the first resort), but I'm happy to keep providing assistance.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2017, 23:36:33 »
So I just caught up to episode 3 of Season 7, and I must say...

dayum, you still got it ponies.

My fiance during 702 totally called it that it was singing the song which made them NOT break the record, but knowing it was coming just made the song that much funnier.
So my eldest niece made a purchase a few days ago.

She decided to consult with me, because she has no experience with running a game, and we ran my nine year old and thirteen year old nieces through the introductory adventure. Fun was had by all.

It's a very simplistic game system, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's easier for youngsters to grasp, a good gateway drug.

Not really my bag though (it actually tells you violence isn't supposed to be the first resort), but I'm happy to keep providing assistance.
That looks pretty cute and fun. Does it advise using the blind bag ponies as miniatures? :D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2017, 00:09:27 »
That looks pretty cute and fun. Does it advise using the blind bag ponies as miniatures? :D

Yes.  :) Though only if you want something to better visualize the situation.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2017, 16:33:10 »
I'm going to pick up the RPG eventually.  I'm betting my gaming friends don't save violence for a last resort.

Meanwhile, this should be on the way to me soon. http://imgur.com/a/aPzk3
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2017, 10:57:55 »
Has anyone thought about the renaissance of children's cartoons over the last eight years or so?
I remember watching a video from Nostalgia Critic talking about this situation.
More or less I agree with his assessment of it: The kids that used to love certain shows are now old enough to be writers.
So the fans of old favorites are taking what they remembered, tweaking it, then presenting it to a new generation.
Overall a nice cycle to live in honestly.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2017, 19:02:16 »
Has anyone thought about the renaissance of children's cartoons over the last eight years or so? I suppose it can be traced back to Adventure Time, as much as I personally dislike that show, and there were outliers here and there before then, but I still think MLP is the best of them - though Gravity Falls comes close.

Honestly, I think it's more of a cyclical thing.  There have been good and bad shows coming out for far longer than that- back in the 90s you had Animaniacs and Batman: The Animated Series, for example.  MLPFIM certainly maintains a high place, but I think that the fact that it's a cartoon aimed at young girls is what really sets it apart since it's a genre that's typically regarded as among the worst of animated television.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2017, 10:01:27 »
So, I'm slowly catching up on NetFlix and am on Season 4 - Where does the movie Tales of Everfree come in along the cartoon timeline? The first one Equestria Girls, obviously came between Season 3 and 4.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2017, 10:27:48 »
It's hard to tell, since it doesn't have any ponyverse characters at all and there isn't an indication of how time flows relative to each.  For simplicity's sake I'd guess that it happens whenever the release date was relative to the show's seasons.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2017, 11:01:21 »
Tales of Everfree is the most recent of the EG films. You need to see the Friendship Games EG film to understand EG Twilight's issues in Everfree.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2017, 18:32:15 »
Tales of Everfree is to my mind the most forgettable of a forgettable series.  The first one was ok, and the kids like the music in Rainbow Rocks (I don't even mind it so badly, and I do like the rock band theme as someone who long aspired to be in a rock band) but the later two just get increasingly ridiculous, or repetitive, or something else.  The fact that my children share that view hints that it's not just me and I'm not just missing the point for the intended audience.

As for the actual question of when, I think it was speculated that the last scene of the prior movie (Friendship games) where in normal Twilight refers to being caught in a time loop is a reference to her battle with Starlight at the end of season five (which actually came out after the movie did, so either a coincidence or a good bit of planning), so we would guess that that movie is during season six, even though it was came out during season five.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2017, 19:03:48 »
The time loop thing is a reference to her final battle with Starlight.  The Equestria games aired earlier than originally planned.

Overall, Sunset keeps me coming back to Equestria Girls. Sci-Twi almost had the same affect up until she potentially started a relationship with someone likely in his mid twenties.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2017, 12:27:48 »
Thanks, guys. So, Equestria Games after Season 5. Then, Everfree at any time.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2017, 15:06:37 »
So the last few episodes kinda released in a wave, didn't they?

Fluttershy Leans In is all about how she's grown. I love that comment: "Well have to call you Flutterbrave now!" Great episode, if only because Fluttershy is my favorite pony.

Forever Filly was... well, one of the strangest things for an adult is becoming friends with someone that you knew as a small child, and realizing that the way you intrinsically think of them (skinned knees, Pokemon cards, bad puns) isn't true any more. Forever Filly NAILS that.

Parental Glaidance was a solid exploration of Rainbow Dash's character. I must admit, finding out that her parents are her biggest fans was HILARIOUS.

added spoiler tags.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2017, 16:25:34 »
My Fallout Equestria hard copy showed up.  This was a very impressive job and one of the nicest books I own. Only down side is the paper they used.  Best description I've heard so far was "bible thin."

My problem now is when am I going to read this?  I normally do all my reading during breaks and lunches at work.  That's not happening with this book.

So the last few episodes kinda released in a wave, didn't they?

They're still once a week in the states, but they seem to have released the flood gates in Canada for some reason.  Have to be extra careful with spoilers this season.  :(

Stateside, we're only as far as Forever Filly.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2017, 16:33:12 »
Heck, I just binge watch it on Netflix so I'm waiting until June or July when Season 7 will get added.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2017, 18:52:07 »
So I added spoiler tags, and I apologize. I didn't spoil the biggest part of Parental Gleidance, you find out about RD's parents in the first thirty seconds. The rest is a rollercoaster ride.

I don't have cable here, and only use the internet to get stuff. Sometimes I forget that not everyone does that. :p

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2017, 19:11:16 »
If I seriously cared about spoilers i wouldn't bother reading this thread until I got a chance to watch the next season.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2017, 19:17:26 »
Nothing you posted was really all that big of a deal.  Just mentioned as a heads up before you did.   ;)

I've been very tempted to just binge watch all that's available.  Problem with that is it extremely extends the downtime between seasons.  Just because canada is going to end this season sooner, doesn't mean the next one is going to start any earlier.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2017, 20:51:48 »
I wanted to ask: is it just me, or over the seasons does it seem like Applejack-centered episodes have frequently revolved around Applejack learning the same lesson again?

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2017, 11:19:06 »
Absolutely, most everypony has had repeats a few times.  Rarity also seems to get stuck in ruts.  But, as comes up every now and then, it is a show for little girls (though I think little girls are sometimes more sophisticated than they're given credit for) and because of heavy syndication I think there is a reluctance to have the characters grow too much, lest casual fans be unable to follow.

By contrast, Rainbow does seem to have progressed, at least in her career, since she's now a full fledged Wonderbolt.  Twilight of course too, being a Princess.  But every time Rarity opens a new outlet, she has to learn the same problems over and over again, Applejack is still on the farm (though that's probably a choice), and Pinkie and Fluttershy the same (what does Fluttershy actually do?  The others all seem to have either jobs or a court position, but does she get compensated for taking care of animals?)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2017, 11:43:22 »
Even Rarity, who in season one I pegged as being the character I was probably going to dislike the most, seems to have got more diversity in her episodes than Applejack.  She, at least, seems to remember the lesson she learned the last time and tries not to make the same mistakes repeatedly.  I think the issue is that Applejack was initially the most mature of the mane six and had consequently more limited growth, especially when compared to Rainbow, who's had quite a bit on new traits added to her character over the seasons: joining the Wonderbolts, adopting Tank, learning to love reading, and so on.

As far as Fluttershy's job, I think she might be running some sort of animal rehab.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2017, 13:34:17 »
Well, I'm not sure about that - a large part of Fluttershy Leans In contradicts that idea directly IMHO, or at least puts a damper on it as her main income source. Perhaps she does that sort of thing on commission (as with the early ep of Rarity asking her for help with Opalescence), but as an organized source? I doubt it.

Before we saw her brother , I thought that she had some access to a trust fund or was doing the equivalent of living off interest - she has a modest lifestyle, but doesn't appear to DO anything for income unlike the other ponies, and does things like organize fundraisers so she has a fair bit of free time on her hands. Unfortunately her brother's lifestyle, bouncing from job to job and then going back to live with their parents, probably means that isn't true. Maybe an inheritance from a grandparent that he squandered but she invested in a little self-sufficient cottage? Perhaps she's a landlord for some Ponyville resident which is her only real income?

What I find crazy about all that speculation is this: It doesn't feel out of place. A lot of shows stop holding up when you speculate about them like this, even regular shows - I read an article talking about how fictional New York apartments stack up cost-wise versus real New York apartments, and it was funny just how out of whack some of them were even if I've never been to NY. Friendship is Magic, though? It feels like they've thought about this too, at least somewhat.

Applejack... I dunno. She does have the only episode that has actually pissed me off - The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 3000 - but her main growth episodes have been centered around learning to rely on other ponies, not just herself. It never really bothered me the way it repeated the lesson, because each time it was done in a different way and AJ seems like a VERY stubborn pony who doesn't learn very well. "Well, golly, I did learn to rely on my friends, but relyin' on my little sister to stay out of trouble?"

What's her line out of SSCS3k? "I didn't larn nuthin'!"

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2017, 14:34:34 »
On that note, and also refrencing our discussion above about Equistria Girls, one of the things that my kids and I have discussed is that the ponies all seem to be adults. They live on their own, they (mostly) hold down steady jobs, and in general live their lives in mature ways, even if they seem to have less emotional maturity than one might wish for (in order to match their audience, naturally).  Of course, the fact that their sisters (for Applejack and Rarity) are still being taught out of a one room school house does make it hard to pin down how old they really are.

In any event, it does drive me a bit crazy that their anthropomorphic equivalents are in highschool.  If I were Twilight, I'd go a bit bonkers going from an independent pony living on my own to being back in school (granted, Twilight does enjoy school, but she was in the process of moving into teaching at that point).  Perhaps Sunset the same, since she'd just run from being a student of Celestia, only to again end up in school, where back in Equestria a pony of her age would be striking out on her own (I'd guess equivalent to a collage drop out, since one has to imagine being a special pupal of the reigning Princess as higher education). 

It's more of a personal problem, and it doesn't bother the kids too much, but sometimes it just bugs me.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2017, 15:09:58 »
I just chalk that up to Equestria being a setting where it's the norm to get an apprenticeship rather than to go into secondary education: Twilight was a student when the series started and Ponyville is a much smaller town with less formal education opportunities than Canterlot or Manehattan, so the friends she makes that are her own age have already started working.

One thing that also occurs to me is that the Mane Six might all be receiving a stipend from Princess Celestia: they are a vital part of the realm's security force, after all.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2017, 16:47:58 »
My first thought is that Fluttershy is just really really frugal. She's not one for fancy things and I'm sure there's a garden on her property somewhere that's probably her primary food source.  It's quite possible she could be getting by on nothing but odd jobs and animal sitting.   Of course, once you factor in feeding her pets(especially angel), that theory goes out the window.   I know there was a fan fiction some time ago that suggested she had a job as a weather pony like many other pegasus in Ponyvill, but she specifically handled fog so she could stay near the ground.

As for the ages of the mane 6, Lauren Faust said they were intentionally vague. She wanted them to be old enough to be independent, but still young enough to be learning lessons. Interesting side note, pony analysts have confirmed the CMC are growing up physically.  They are larger now than they were in their first appearance.

I try not to overthink Equestria Girls.  It exists solely to compete with monster high dolls. Yes MLP exists to sell toys, but not as a poor attempt to rip off another toy.   The new minis are pretty neat though. Still waiting for that derpy one to release.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2017, 19:43:22 »
Given the friendship, kindness, and sharing dripping from every pore of the series, I have to assume that the kingdom of equestria has a robust public assistance system. Maybe Fluttershy is classified as legally disabled (social anxiety disorder) and draws assistance.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #33 on: 16 May 2017, 23:07:54 »
Someone tried to pin down the ages of the Mane 6,  however I didnt agree with them, even based on their cited evidence.  But they did conclude late teensb or whatever the pony equivalent of that is.

Really, in series the only concrete mention of ages is Fluttershy telling Pinky "I'm a year older than you"
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2017, 23:56:01 »
Exact age doesn't matter. What matters is that the Mane Six started firmly in the Erik Erikson psychosocial stage of Intimacy vs. Isolation, where young adults choose between a path that has stable friendships and loves they can rely on, or a path that is closed off and ultimately leads to them being alone.

The CMCs are firmly in Identity vs. Role Confusion, as are all of the ponies that age - Diamond Tiara's song about not knowing who she is despite being told what she is is perfect for this - but now they're growing out of it, becoming young adults in their own right.

Meantime, the Mane Six is moving onto the next stage, of Generativity vs. Stagnation - where people contribute to society in general or never move on. We can see it in Rarity's opening of beautiques, in RD becoming a full time Wonderbolt, in Twilight Sparkle teaching a student and trying to make the hard choice of asking her to leave.

JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST I LOVE THIS SHOW.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2017, 00:51:53 »
Fellow bronies, lend me your ears...

How would you use the MAGIC OF FRIENDSHIP to solve a problem stemming from...the Manehattan underworld?

Scenario:

The Cutie Mark Crusaders get a letter from Babs Seed in Manehattan, asking them to come and help her with another "bullying problem".
The "bullies" are in fact part of a protection racket, extorting bits from the mane salon where Babs works.  The CMCs soon realize they're in over their heads as it emerges this is part of a turf war between rival gangs.

So, if it were you, how would you go about resolving this in a way that's consistent with the show and the comics?  Especially without having to bring in the princesses as a deus ex machina?  (Who else is going to bring a bunch of ruthless Manehattan mob bosses to heel?)

cheers,

Gabe 

p.s. mostly I just want I chance to play with my older daughter's pony toys speaking in Noo Yawk accents and with boss characters modeled after famous crime lords, both fictional and real.
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2017, 11:18:22 »
I suspect a West Side Story style dance off, where the Sharks and the Jets realize that they don't need to fight, thanks to the magic of friendship. 

That said, while some villains like Discord and Starlight (and innumerable lesser characters) have been reformed, several like Tirek and Chrysalis (and others like Flim and Flam) have gone on being bad and simply had to be exiled or imprisoned.  So it depends if you're doing A Bronx Tale or Casino or Goodfellas or the Godfather. 

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 17 May 2017, 22:36:56 »
Perhaps the Capo retired recently, and he was more of a community style guy who asked for 'donations' but plowed it back into the neighborhood, and his successor has become more violent and greedy? Giving them an avenue to find the retired Capo and talk to him?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 17 May 2017, 23:06:18 »
Now what's a Godfather pony's cutie mark going to be?

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2017, 23:46:18 »
Perhaps the Capo retired recently, and he was more of a community style guy who asked for 'donations' but plowed it back into the neighborhood, and his successor has become more violent and greedy? Giving them an avenue to find the retired Capo and talk to him?

I'm thinking having a bunch of rival bosses, each controlling a turf in different parts of Manehattan.  Some names for you:

Little Seedser (should be obvious)
Don Coltleone, a.k.a The Godstallion (again, beyond obvious)

Based on real-life mobsters:
Dapper Dock
Double Dutch
Lucky Strike

Thrillson Risk

Cutting Board (a cookie for anybody who can guess the inspiration for this one)
Bumpy Road (a cookie here too)

For those of you who think this is a bit dark to be playing with a 9 year old kid, the comics have established that intimidation and extortion do indeed happen in parts of Equestria.  Not quite as idyllic as shown on the TV show.

And FYI this is a kid who in one of our previous games insisted that Celestia face an ultimatum where she had to eat a potentially lethal poisonous mushroom.

cheers,

Gabe

EDIT:  and how could I forget?     Pony Contralto
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 01:53:30 by gyedid »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2017, 09:12:37 »
Now what's a Godfather pony's cutie mark going to be?

How dark do you want it?

A severed pony head, of course!

cheers,

Gabe

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2017, 10:25:29 »
How dark do you want it?

A severed pony head, of course!

cheers,

Gabe
I like the way you think.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 19 May 2017, 13:41:57 »
Honestly, though Vito Corleone was prepared to use violence when needed, I don't think it was ever his first choice.  He tried to be a man of reason, and only resorted to violence when there was no other choice.  He was more a man of the people, picking out oranges when he was shot.  For a real cheeky cutie mark, maybe a bottle of olive oil for the Godfather. 

As to how Our Little Ponies would deal with such a world... 

They'd almost surely try and reason with the mobsters, because that's almost always plan A.  But, if that failed, we have seen several episodes focus on investigation, so we might see the Ponies taking on the role of the Untouchables and trying to uncover enough evidence to call in Shining Armor and Flash Sentry and the Pony PD and round everyone up. 

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2017, 13:22:47 »
Suddenly, I have visions of the Cutie Mark Crusaders donning sleuth hats and carrying around spy glasses, bursting through doors on the chase for the next clue.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2017, 13:24:29 »
Didn't Rarity and Pinky actually do that?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2017, 16:19:15 »
Pinky for sure. Maybe with Rarity. Don't recall very well. I'm at the start of season 5, but it's been a few months since watching the earlier stuff.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 23 May 2017, 16:43:19 »
Pinkie went all Sherlock Holmes to find a cake eater, while Rarity went all film noir private eye to save Rainbow Dash's career.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2017, 19:21:18 »
So here's a question: the ponies are all herbivores, right?  So why does Applejack's farm have chickens and pigs?

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 24 May 2017, 21:22:43 »
Are the Ponies all herbivores?  They seem mostly to eat pastries, true, but we know cheese is a thing (since Twilight is afraid of quesadillas for being too cheesy) and we know they eat sandwiches (which can have meat or not).  So I suppose it's possible that they eat bacon (I assume the chickens are for eggs, though both chicken and eggs are delicious).  Either that or it's all for Fluttershy's animals, since we know she harbors carnivores.  Only other thing I can think is maybe sow's milk, which is a real (if weird) thing.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2017, 23:48:00 »
The show is pretty careful to avoid any mentions of meat: Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle both enjoy hayburgers, for example.  Near as I can tell, the ponies are dairy-okay vegetarians.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2017, 15:39:03 »
Regarding the question of Fluttershy's job: I was rewatching some of the earlier seasons this week and in the finale for Season 2, Fluttershy's bird chorus is requested to perform at the wedding.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2017, 18:23:07 »
The show is pretty careful to avoid any mentions of meat: Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle both enjoy hayburgers, for example.  Near as I can tell, the ponies are dairy-okay vegetarians.

Even Equestria Girls avoids it.  So many fruit salads.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2017, 20:02:42 »
I guess the follow up is: what does it say that Pony-nomics are more plausible than FASA-nomics that we spend so much time decrying in the other parts of the boards?

That aside, it's been a pretty good season.  But, something I've noticed more and more is episodes that just dial in on one Pony.  They've always done this, to some greater or lesser degree, but I felt like this season has had fewer group episodes, and more that aren't just small group (two or three at a time, say, which can sometimes be best) but rather just one pony from the mane group. 

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #55 on: 30 May 2017, 09:50:19 »
Chickens make eggs, useful for baking.
Pigs...garbage disposal, trade with non-herbivorous species, feeding pets, and to make lard/leather.

Also, while I'm thinking about it. You very rarely find pure herbivores. Most herbivores WILL snack on animal protein if they have the chance. It's just that they're not equipped to hunt it down or easily digest it in mass quantities.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #56 on: 30 May 2017, 10:05:06 »
Also, while I'm thinking about it. You very rarely find pure herbivores. Most herbivores WILL snack on animal protein if they have the chance. It's just that they're not equipped to hunt it down or easily digest it in mass quantities.

Actually, what usually is happening is that they're going after the bones for calcium.  They'll avoid eating meat unless there's something seriously wrong.  Also, real-world biology doesn't exactly apply to a setting with talking "ponies" that can fly with tiny chicken-wings and use magic because they've got horns.  Even most hostile creatures aren't shown to be carnivorous in the show: dragons aren't.  The only monsters I can think of that actually tried to eat the ponies were either plants or a non-sentient crocodile.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2017, 11:02:58 »
Chickens make eggs, useful for baking.
Pigs...garbage disposal, trade with non-herbivorous species, feeding pets, and to make lard/leather.

The only sentient species in this world seem to be of ruminant (both artiodactyl and perissodactyl) extraction.  Carnivores and even omnivores (e.g. Applejack's pig) are non-sentient. 

What do the griffins eat again?  You would think a half-eagle/half-lion would NOT be a vegetarian...

cheers,

Gabe

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 30 May 2017, 11:58:51 »
Well, I asked my kids about the pigs (the chickens thing is a no brainer, especially being reminded how many of the sorts of pastries and confections that the Ponies seem to more or less live on require eggs).  They answered that she has pigs because she's a farmer, and farmers raise pigs.  I don't think there's more to it than that.

As for Griffins, they eat scones, seemingly.  Terrible, baking power free scones. 

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2017, 13:57:00 »
The only sentient species in this world seem to be of ruminant (both artiodactyl and perissodactyl) extraction.  Carnivores and even omnivores (e.g. Applejack's pig) are non-sentient. 

Gabe

what about that gang of dogs who kidnapped Rarity first season?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: 30 May 2017, 22:32:41 »
what about that gang of dogs who kidnapped Rarity first season?

Oh yes, the Diamond Dogs.  Forgot about them.  Normally, the only canine we see regularly is Wynonna, who isn't sentient.

cheers,

Gabe

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #61 on: 31 May 2017, 01:21:15 »

Does this count?

Also, Discord is best Pony.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 06 June 2017, 13:08:46 »
So I caught up to the latest episodes of ponies, and holy crap is A Royal Problem one of the best episodes, period. Not just this season - BEST EVER. The way it humanizes - equinizes? - the princesses is just priceless; I love seeing Celestia with a bit of an edge to her despite trying to be nice, both of them dismissing the other's tasks as slightly easier than theirs, and generally acting like people instead of hiding it behind a curtain was amazing. Twilight's freaking out showed why an outsider was needed. And man, EVIL CELESTIA?! Epic!

I also really liked Honest Apple, mostly because it didn't drag out the realization part of the show - and gave AJ a different problem for once. She had to assimilate some of Rarity's aspect, generosity, in order to move on.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #63 on: 06 June 2017, 22:45:06 »
So, I realize that I'm not a MLP fan, but since I've said lots of bad things about them over the years on YouTube(amongst other things), I feel the need to make it up to you guys.  I think I have apologized in the past, but if I haven't, I do apologize.  Anyways, one of the Dr. Who pages put this one up in tribute to Missy wanting a pony(amongst other things) while she's in the vault.  Enjoy. :)

(Good thing I figured out how to use Pinterest. :) )

EDIT:  Or maybe I didn't. :(  Oh well, here's the pic. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 07 June 2017, 14:29:39 »
I think that's somewhere in season 5.

I'm on Season 5, and I can tell you I recall Pinkipie's Sherlock exploits on the train to a baking contest held in Canterlot, I believe.

The others had to restrain her because, unlike Sherlock, she was jumping to conclusions based on next to no evidence.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 07 June 2017, 14:39:48 »
I may be mistaken, but, weren't the Diamond Dogs gemivores(?) instead of carnivores.

And, the suggestion for Dragons hoarding gold and other precious gems is that it's a food source, since Spike eats them all the time. Though there were some weird mud concoctions with worms he downed, too.

I bet fish still eat worms when one goes fishing.

There were those fruitbats that didn't actually eat the apples, but drained them in some strange way.

So, yeah. Meat in general is carefully avoided in the show. Unlike Ripping Friends which has a cow gladly cutting out his flank and handing over a slab of beef in thanks for saving his life.

Finally, seeing the mane six's first encounter with the table sending them to that town without cutimarks, or the Season 4 finale where that centauroid guy is sucking up all of Equestria's magic shows that even the Earth Ponies use magic in some fashion, though it's built into them and not something they can use to manipulate the world around them with thoughts or words.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 07 June 2017, 17:21:24 »
I'm on Season 5, and I can tell you I recall Pinkipie's Sherlock exploits on the train to a baking contest held in Canterlot, I believe.

The others had to restrain her because, unlike Sherlock, she was jumping to conclusions based on next to no evidence.
I was talking the film noir episode with Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 07 June 2017, 17:38:34 »
I don't recall that one yet. So, it might be coming up.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 07 June 2017, 20:07:26 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 07 June 2017, 20:50:03 »
Finally, seeing the mane six's first encounter with the table sending them to that town without cutimarks, or the Season 4 finale where that centauroid guy is sucking up all of Equestria's magic shows that even the Earth Ponies use magic in some fashion, though it's built into them and not something they can use to manipulate the world around them with thoughts or words.

Earth pony magic is stated to be super-strength and the ability to manipulate the ground in order to grow food quickly and efficiently, similar to the way that Pegasus ponies are able to manipulate clouds and the weather.  When Shining Armor used Candace as a javelin in the season finale it was considered a display of strength that went well beyond the norm for unicorns and into earth pony level.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 07 June 2017, 22:38:00 »
Earthpony magic is also seen in the Hearth's Warming Eve flashbacks, as the Unicorns and Pegasai seemed physically unable to grow food, hinting that only the special magic of the earth ponies allows it. 

If memory serves, however, Tirek targeted Unicorns first.  This could be just because most of Canterlot's population is unicorns, but it was implied that they just have their magic nearer the serfice (and so more ripe for stealing) and only after he grew powerful was he "even able to steal the magic of earth ponies and pegasai" (or something like that). 

So I caught up to the latest episodes of ponies, and holy crap is A Royal Problem one of the best episodes, period. Not just this season - BEST EVER. The way it humanizes - equinizes? - the princesses is just priceless; I love seeing Celestia with a bit of an edge to her despite trying to be nice, both of them dismissing the other's tasks as slightly easier than theirs, and generally acting like people instead of hiding it behind a curtain was amazing. Twilight's freaking out showed why an outsider was needed. And man, EVIL CELESTIA?! Epic!

I did quite like this one, since we so seldom get to see life in the palace, and the idea of a reunion of two sisters after a thousand year absence being anything but rocky seems far fetched at best. 

On reflection, though, I did wonder: who did Luna's job for the intervening thousand years?  Celestia seems to have no understanding of it, so not her.  Seems like she just raised the moon and then went to bed.  So, if everypony grew up just taking dreams as they came, wouldn't Luna's return seem a bit funky, especially as she was more a creature of nightmare than a savior?  Maybe the younger ponies could adapt more easily, but the adults?  So really, there's about a millennium of evidence that if Luna wanted to take a night off, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Though since we often see her during the day, perhaps she does when she needs, and just works hard the rest of the time as penance for her Nightmare Moon days (even though there was a whole episode about her forgiving herself).

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 07 June 2017, 23:33:11 »
Well, I live with someone who works graveyards, and if you go to sleep at 730 you can wake up at 330 and get a full 8 hours of sleep - or go to bed at noon and wake up at 8.

I think that Celestia just let Luna's job go undone, and because of the nature of it (gradually soothing bad dreams) means that some ponies wouldn't know Luna had done anything, but it's still important for promoting happiness and harmony.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 07 June 2017, 23:53:41 »
Earthpony magic is also seen in the Hearth's Warming Eve flashbacks, as the Unicorns and Pegasai seemed physically unable to grow food, hinting that only the special magic of the earth ponies allows it. 

If memory serves, however, Tirek targeted Unicorns first.  This could be just because most of Canterlot's population is unicorns, but it was implied that they just have their magic nearer the serfice (and so more ripe for stealing) and only after he grew powerful was he "even able to steal the magic of earth ponies and pegasai" (or something like that). 

Unicorns seem to make up the majority of Equestria's guards.  I think he was at least in part trying to cripple the kingdom's ability to fight back against him.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 11 June 2017, 10:57:48 »

- I was thinking the same thing about luna's nightmare watching job.  Perhaps when nightmare moon was banished, it also put a cork in some of the bad mojo that came with nightmares in the pony world.  When nightmare moon was released, it came back.  If it wasn't gone during that time, then someone must have been handling it.  Remember when luna told celestia that if they didn't do anything it could damage glimglam's psyche permanently?  If that was just going on without oversite for 1000 years, the whole civilization would have fallen apart.

- Bummed that they moved luna's black spot along with the cutie mark.  Not upset about the continuity error, I just thought it was neat that luna was our only two color pony.

- if you liked this episode, check out the IDW comic My Little Pony: Micro-Series #10 – Luna.  The cartoon tells a better story over all, but the comic focuses entirely on luna's day running the kingdom.  It is one of the funniest pony stories out there.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 21 June 2017, 23:44:17 »
So, it may not actually have aired on US TV yet, but I caught the latest episode on the internet (the one involving the Apple family) and it was pretty nuts. I don't really know how to feel about it.

Also, Discord having a tea party was classic, though you'd think Pinky Pie wouldn't be the one to give party advice that leads someone astray.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 24 June 2017, 16:08:05 »
Anthropology finally got an animation!

https://youtu.be/_YMBoDcdRd4

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 08 August 2017, 20:47:08 »
That episode about the apple family's parents.

It's so weird whipsawing from Rick & Morty's nihilism to FiM's optimism, but I liked watching them back to back. It was... like peanut butter and chocolate.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 17 August 2017, 20:20:08 »
Though they're hardly infalable, there definately have been a few pretty stand out eppisodes.  The Apple parents show was just tremendous, all the more that we know (to a degree) that it ends in some degree of tragidy.  On that note, I'm curious to know that story, even as I'm sure a show like My LIttle Ponies can never tell it.

I quite liked the most recent one, too.  Definately poke a bit of good natured fun at folks like us, while still being true to the principle theme of the show and teaching a valuable lesson about how the haters gonna hate...

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 18 August 2017, 18:46:23 »
Though they're hardly infalable, there definately have been a few pretty stand out eppisodes.  The Apple parents show was just tremendous, all the more that we know (to a degree) that it ends in some degree of tragidy.  On that note, I'm curious to know that story, even as I'm sure a show like My LIttle Ponies can never tell it.

I quite liked the most recent one, too.  Definately poke a bit of good natured fun at folks like us, while still being true to the principle theme of the show and teaching a valuable lesson about how the haters gonna hate...
The way they just ignored the song was HILARIOUS. Could not stop laughing throughout the episode. "Are we really expected to believe that Fluttershy would just learn the same lesson over and over?"

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 18 August 2017, 19:40:41 »
The apple family episode was easily the the most moving episode of the whole series.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 21 August 2017, 01:39:45 »
The apple family episode was easily the the most moving episode of the whole series.

And if you watch the end credits, note who was the voice actor for Grand Pear!! (who else gets the name joke there?)

cheers,

Gabe

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 21 August 2017, 22:58:10 »
Unfortunately, this week's episode was... stupidly predictable. I mean, like within 30 seconds of mentioning the quandary it was "They're going to get along, it won't even be an issue, I really hope they solve this in the first five minutes and we spend the next fifteen watching them be amazingly good buddies."

But no. Exactly the opposite. the only funny part to me was the moment that I realized Spike was having a full-fledged Twilight freakout right at the start.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 29 August 2017, 15:23:01 »
A reminder I suppose that this is still essentally a show for young girls designed to teach lessons about the magic of friendship.  As the prior eppisode pointed out, they've all been learning for seven years (time doesn't seem to be real in equestria, since the book seemed decades old, yet the Cutie Mark Crusaders still haven't reached full maturity) so they have to shift some of the lessons to other charictors.  Last week, Spike, Ember and Thorax (their interaction was really good; I would have liked to see them get together earlier) and most recently historical figures existing in stories. 

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 29 August 2017, 15:34:12 »
I'm still only on season 6, but I gotta admit that I liked "Stranger Than Fan Fiction".  Probably because I can identify, if only about different subject matters. 

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 29 August 2017, 17:50:28 »
A reminder I suppose that this is still essentally a show for young girls designed to teach lessons about the magic of friendship.  As the prior eppisode pointed out, they've all been learning for seven years (time doesn't seem to be real in equestria, since the book seemed decades old, yet the Cutie Mark Crusaders still haven't reached full maturity) so they have to shift some of the lessons to other charictors.  Last week, Spike, Ember and Thorax (their interaction was really good; I would have liked to see them get together earlier) and most recently historical figures existing in stories.
I think we're sitting at about a year and a half in Equestria time; they recently mentioned that the camping trip in season 3 was "A year ago" and we know that there have been two Hearth's Warming Eve episodes, one in S2 and one in S6.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 10 September 2017, 11:03:07 »
Legends of equestria is fully up, running, and available to all [that can get into the really full servers]!   Meanwhile, both Norton and Windows refuse to let me run it.   [##]

As for the show, did you catch the part where Fillydelphia finally cleared up their parasprites infestation?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 10 September 2017, 16:24:41 »
Legends of equestria is fully up, running, and available to all [that can get into the really full servers]!   Meanwhile, both Norton and Windows refuse to let me run it.   [##]

As for the show, did you catch the part where Fillydelphia finally cleared up their parasprites infestation?

And you have got to wonder how long it'll be before the Hasborg throws a C&D on them...

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 10 September 2017, 16:38:38 »
From what I've heard, they've been very careful to avoid using any terms Hasbro has trademarked.   They've also had several open beta weekends over the last couple years so they've had plenty of opportunities to get get hasbro's attention.   Fighting is Magic got shut down well before they had any kind of open release.

Time will tell.   I hope I can figure out how the hell to get it to run in the meantime.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 08 October 2017, 20:46:55 »
So... My Little Pony: The Movie!

Who's seen it?

I took the kids, and I quite liked it (mind you, I would have seen it on my own but for the kids, but they're a convenient excuse for my bronyness).  Now, it was imperfect (as my kids were quick to point out) but I had a better time than in plenty of "real" movies I've been to.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 08 October 2017, 21:26:53 »
planning on sneaking in next Friday.  I don't have any kids for cover and my nieces have moved on to voltron.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #90 on: 09 October 2017, 19:46:57 »
1. Go to google
2. Search for "best pony"
3. Check the side bar and just except the truth.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: 11 October 2017, 13:47:46 »
I'm not sure quite how to feel about that.  Sometimes, though, I think the internet has become a caricature of itself.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #92 on: 20 October 2017, 14:19:49 »
Saw the movie.

Over all great.  Everything you'd want from ponies and then some once you get used to the different animation.

Problem is that they added too many new characters and locations and as a result, only one(Tempest) gets any development whatsoever.   If you haven't read the comic prequels, you probably walked away figuring Capper just really likes buttons.  They're all likable though so I do hope we see some of them showing up in season 8.

At first, the PG rating didn't make much sense, but with that ending I guess I can understand why.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 05 January 2018, 17:57:44 »
Has anyone seen a physical blu ray of the movie anywhere?  ???

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #94 on: 05 January 2018, 19:40:06 »
According to Amazon, it's available the 9th.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 06 January 2018, 11:53:15 »
Saw the movie.

Over all great.  Everything you'd want from ponies and then some once you get used to the different animation.

Problem is that they added too many new characters and locations and as a result, only one(Tempest) gets any development whatsoever.   If you haven't read the comic prequels, you probably walked away figuring Capper just really likes buttons.  They're all likable though so I do hope we see some of them showing up in season 8.

I just saw it and I did not think it was that fantastic:
--Twilight's behaviour in this story was decidedly off.  She is not doing well as the Princess of Friendship, especially not after how she spoke to Pinkie after the failed theft of the hippogriff/merponies' magic pearl.  Is there any way to reverse alicorn ascension?  Because she sure deserved it after that.  And this after she had a strong showing in the season finale.
--There was I consider a somewhat disturbing development:  I think this is the first time they have actually killed a villain (the petrified Storm King falling and shattering).
--The Storm King and Discord...separated at birth?  Lookswise maybe not, but in terms of personality he came off as a weak Discord clone.  I don't see why they needed a "real" actor for the voice work here; John de Lancie would've done just as well.
--As was already said, too many new characters.  Came off feeling a bit like the old Transformers movie IMO.
--The new animation style was more eye-popping than the TV show (which has itself improved over the years), but I felt it had a familiar feel to it.  Then I saw the credits.  VERY disappointed they outsourced the animation on this one--it looks much like one of China's Xi Yangyang (Pleasant Goat) movies.  Visually very impressive but they can't come up with good stories worth crap.  (Can you tell I've had to sit through a few of these...?)

OTOH, it was strangely satisfying to finally see Spike's fire breath being used in an offensive manner.

cheers,

Gabe

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 22 February 2018, 09:19:22 »
Well for those interested...

Trailer for Season 8!

As a casual watcher, I guess it's a natural progression. I'm also guessing S8 is post movie?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 22 February 2018, 12:08:28 »
Well for those interested...

Trailer for Season 8!

As a casual watcher, I guess it's a natural progression. I'm also guessing S8 is post movie?
I think I saw somewhere that the writers confirmed it is.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #98 on: 22 February 2018, 18:19:20 »
Relevant to my interests...or it would be if they were poseable figures and not statues.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/02/17/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-goes-full-moe-in-new-kotobukiya-bishoujo-statue-line

It's a very cute Pinkie Pie, though.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #99 on: 22 February 2018, 20:26:17 »
In related news, it appears that Them's Fightin' Herds- the 2D tournament fighter that started out as a MLP fangame, is now in early access on Steam.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 21 April 2018, 19:09:45 »
Anyone catch today's episode.

Very impressed with how they managed to do an episode about coping with your parents' divorce without ever once mentioning or even hinting at divorce.