Author Topic: Education level of various powers  (Read 5077 times)

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
Education level of various powers
« on: 21 June 2017, 22:56:28 »
How does the education of the Magistracy of Canopus compare to other periphery powers (Taurian Concordat and Outworld's Alliance, etc) and inner sphere powers (such as Federated Suns or Draconis Combine, etc)? I am assuming it is below standard but I am curious about the level of education, how it compares to other "powers", and other things...
GreyWolf.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Education level of various powers
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2017, 07:14:00 »
Historically, the educational levels of the MoC were substandard.  Post-Capellan alliance, they're on par with everyone else.  As for the Taurans, they were probably the best educated nation with the possible exception of the Terran Hegemony before the Reunification War.  The war left them completely bludgeoned, so I suspect that educational levels have dropped. 

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2017, 08:27:35 »
The Magistracy has always had unusually advanced medical tech(and presumably medical schools as well), but other than that their education is nothing to write home about.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2017, 08:55:50 »
The Magistracy has always had unusually advanced medical tech(and presumably medical schools as well), but other than that their education is nothing to write home about.
Handbook Major Periphery States on p. 95 says otherwise.  That was written (in-universe) in 3067.  By 3150, Canopians educated under the historical system have died and the current population grew up in an era of well-funded schools.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2017, 08:59:09 by jimdigris »

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2017, 12:15:20 »
Is there anything detailing 3025 era (3000-3039) education level/quality?
GreyWolf.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2017, 12:21:16 »
Is there anything detailing 3025 era (3000-3039) education level/quality?
The original Periphery housebook pegged it at elementary school levels on average for the MoC.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2017, 13:51:24 »
Handbook Major Periphery States on p. 95 says otherwise.  That was written (in-universe) in 3067.  By 3150, Canopians educated under the historical system have died and the current population grew up in an era of well-funded schools.
My bad, I should have specified that I was talking about the pre-Confederation influenced period.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 19:26:56 »
Note that when you're talking about a planet, education is going to vary widely especially if its a big planet.  Taken as a whole, the earth could be said to have a large amount of substandard educational levels for example. So, the educational levels given in the books aren't as helpful as they might be. (And figuring out educational levels even in teh real world can be difficult-- do you weight, for example, the highly educated elite higher than the outback peasants?).

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2017, 19:46:03 »
There's mention in Double Blind - which sets up the establishment of the Trinity alliance - the Cappies send a gift to the MoC royal family. But it's a book,  which the family initially takes as a grave insult because their state has a notoriously low literacy rate.

Crisis is averted when it turns out it's actually an illustrated book of Chinese erotica

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2017, 21:15:06 »
There's mention in Double Blind - which sets up the establishment of the Trinity alliance - the Cappies send a gift to the MoC royal family. But it's a book,  which the family initially takes as a grave insult because their state has a notoriously low literacy rate.

Crisis is averted when it turns out it's actually an illustrated book of Chinese erotica

Almost spilled my covfefe!  :D O0
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2017, 19:53:25 »
Note that when you're talking about a planet, education is going to vary widely especially if its a big planet.  Taken as a whole, the earth could be said to have a large amount of substandard educational levels for example. So, the educational levels given in the books aren't as helpful as they might be. (And figuring out educational levels even in teh real world can be difficult-- do you weight, for example, the highly educated elite higher than the outback peasants?).
You can however take statements as to how committed a particular government is to the education of their people at face value. Along with the general sophistication of their public education system.

In which case very low for the MOC in the immediate Succession Wars Era, while the TC had a sophisticated enough one that even the FedSuns copied it.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2017, 20:32:01 »
You can however take statements as to how committed a particular government is to the education of their people at face value. Along with the general sophistication of their public education system.

In which case very low for the MOC in the immediate Succession Wars Era, while the TC had a sophisticated enough one that even the FedSuns copied it.

Thank you. I think that will be what I was looking for... Thanks.
GreyWolf.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2017, 04:51:26 »
Historically, the educational levels of the MoC were substandard.  Post-Capellan alliance, they're on par with everyone else.  As for the Taurans, they were probably the best educated nation with the possible exception of the Terran Hegemony before the Reunification War.  The war left them completely bludgeoned, so I suspect that educational levels have dropped. 
I believe that one of the major crimes the SL committed against the Periphery states was sabotage of their education systems

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2017, 09:46:57 »
I believe that one of the major crimes the SL committed against the Periphery states was sabotage of their education systems

That and redesigning all the industrial infraestructure to be dependant from the Inner Sphere.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.