Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 162888 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #960 on: 18 February 2018, 15:52:13 »
Completely agree, also with partial wings and improved jumpjets, we can't really complain about "flying ballerina robots" .....
i want them in tutu too...for no other reason so i can see peoples mind blown. or is wrong for me to even enjoy the thought of it?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #961 on: 18 February 2018, 20:11:27 »
One of the reasons I fly my anime flag so high here is because I want that visibility. If new players come to this forum, I want them to see that there are people who like anime here, and that it's okay. I'm doing my best to be a clear example that the guys who shat on you for your liking "flying ballerina robots" aren't the only guys playing this game. The tent is big! Come on in!

"Flying Ballerina Robots"? Darling in the Franxx sends it's regards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I'd have to agree. There's a pervading sense of dare I say... elitism (I can't think of a better term, really)... that leads to us fans ironically becoming gatekeepers to the 'thing we love'. It's not something exclusive to the 'Mecha gaming fandom of course, but we're a pretty visible example of an industry devouring its young.

« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 20:13:08 by Dies Irae »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #962 on: 18 February 2018, 20:47:54 »
No I see that anime as pole dancing mecha with some back room servicing on the side :o #P

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #963 on: 19 February 2018, 08:55:03 »
i want them in tutu too...for no other reason so i can see peoples mind blown. or is wrong for me to even enjoy the thought of it?

I did up a Battlemech mini in a skirt once...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #964 on: 19 February 2018, 12:04:03 »
No I see that anime as pole dancing mecha with some back room servicing on the side :o #P
Well, who knows what future episodes will bring.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #965 on: 19 February 2018, 12:20:40 »
I did up a Battlemech mini in a skirt once...
Do kilt next time ;)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #966 on: 19 February 2018, 13:08:12 »
Do kilt next time ;)
Kilt you say?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #967 on: 19 February 2018, 15:24:01 »
Trailer for a hybrid US / Japanese Anime - Batman Ninja - Batman in Edo Era thing.

The art looks good and well done. I'm old school and not a fan of cgi but it's necessary evil now a days.  I thought Batman (with his whole crew) going into the past in Edo-era Japan being controlled by the Joker is interesting but still something i can't put my finger on.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #968 on: 20 February 2018, 03:58:20 »
Well, the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie is on Netflix now.

All I can think of when I see trailers for it is how fake the lead actor's hair looks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #969 on: 20 February 2018, 10:25:08 »
http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/02/19/goblin-slayer-anime-light-novel-manga/

*watches teaser* Wha? You show the elf archer, where mah dwarf brewmaker?!
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #970 on: 20 February 2018, 10:36:19 »
http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/02/19/goblin-slayer-anime-light-novel-manga/

*watches teaser* Wha? You show the elf archer, where mah dwarf brewmaker?!
It's good in it's manga form, but it's rude awakening for people who thought it was light hearted fantasy. Gritty and Dark with sprinkle of light. 

I'm not sure how much of it going be translated. The beginning chapters were a Rated R sort thing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #971 on: 20 February 2018, 10:37:27 »
Finally caught up with Darling in the Fraxx.  Is it me, or it felt like the end episode was almost end of the series (or a break).?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #972 on: 20 February 2018, 10:48:52 »
Finally caught up with Darling in the Fraxx.  Is it me, or it felt like the end episode was almost end of the series (or a break).?

Well considering this is a two Cour, I'd say a narrative 'break'. Squad 13 has taken their real first step as a team and Hiro is starting to come into his own. And to be honest, the very end of the ep was a nice inverse of ep 1 with Hiro supporting Zero Two.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #973 on: 20 February 2018, 10:58:43 »

Really felt like "This is only the beginning!" to me. I didn't really feel there was a narrative break at all.....

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #974 on: 20 February 2018, 11:52:01 »
I'm wondering what in the world was infecting Hiro in the first place. Kiss with Code 002 did that? How he fight it off? Sheer will power seems to be reason, still i though the other pilots got injured vs infected.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #975 on: 20 February 2018, 11:56:16 »
Western Mecha: So remember when MWDA was in its heyday and everyone started complaining because 'They looked to Gundam'? That's the sort of elitism talked about. Also it showed that many of them were sorta just talking about the first mecha anime that came to mind because none of those designs were close to standard Gundam designs.

That said, beyond the ever popular Gundam, mecha anime in general is on a downturn compared to the 80's and 90s. We still a get 1-2 series a season but nothing like it used to be.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #976 on: 20 February 2018, 12:15:50 »
I'm wondering what in the world was infecting Hiro in the first place. Kiss with Code 002 did that? How he fight it off? Sheer will power seems to be reason, still i though the other pilots got injured vs infected.

I'd guess it's something related to Zero Two's genetic make up. It might be she produces something toxic when she lets her Klaxosaur side loose in combat.
As to how Hiro fought it off? A part of it would seem to be partly his own genetic makeup, part sheer will, and also a change in his perspective. He's seen Zero Two at her best and worse, you could say, and has accepted it fully. And with that he was able to get themselves 'stable' again to finish the fight.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #977 on: 20 February 2018, 12:18:53 »
Only three animation studios regularly produce mecha anime these days: Sunrise, Satelight, & Xebec. The reason is pretty straightforward: fans expect a lot higher quality from a mecha anime than your average card game tie-in or slice of life moe show, which raises production cost & difficulty, yet mecha anime do not generally sell better than other anime or drive greater merchandise sales. Ergo, even if there's a sizeable fandom for mecha anime, because they don't spend as readily as other anime fans, you're much more limited in output.

Most anime studios aspire to doing their own mecha anime, but it's a considerable challenge for most to attempt. Dogakoko collaborated with CGI studio Orange to deliver Majestic Prince, which I thought was a great series, & for their 15th anniversay PA Works celebrated by making Kuromukuro. Studio ACTAS attempted to make a fully hand-drawn mecha anime Regalia a few years back & had their.produxtion schedule completely collapse trying to deliver the quality they intended. It's a tough niche.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #978 on: 20 February 2018, 12:35:50 »
I'm old school and not a fan of cgi but it's necessary evil now a days.
What do you mean? CGI animation can be fantastic

About Goblin Slayer
It's good in it's manga form, but it's rude awakening for people who thought it was light hearted fantasy. Gritty and Dark with sprinkle of light.
Oh Hell yeah, I'm lovin' it! If Berserk and the likes (Vinland Saga) are to your liking, don't miss out Goblin Slayer.

I'm not sure how much of it going be translated. The beginning chapters were a Rated R sort thing.
Amazon has manga chapters up to #20 so far. In Kindle format, so that cuts whole lot of time compared to printing and shipping of DTF. Gonna buy at least first volume of DTF just so I can bring it to anime club meetings. I have introduced the club to Kindle version with my iPhone 4, and "meat shields" got the girls screaming.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 12:45:27 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #979 on: 20 February 2018, 12:39:31 »
At least it ended up "okay" for the meat shields.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #980 on: 21 February 2018, 08:57:58 »
I think its the end of a couple plot lines, or at least the end of the first act.  Hiro has survived the "three times and you're dead" curse of riding with Zero Two, and has proven himself as a pilot. 

I'm sure there are more and bigger challenges to come, though.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #981 on: 21 February 2018, 09:16:18 »
She looked more beat to hell than he did on that third ride. Must have been a bad S&M trip #P

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #982 on: 21 February 2018, 12:08:12 »
Konosuba light novel volume #4 has some significant differences compared to anime. Anime practically rewrote end of the volume and hot springs arc. Also cut off some stuff while making some smaller additions, like eatable soap bars. Unless my memory fails me, this got cut off from the anime:
"You trash! Aqua, I'll hold him down - you punch!" Darkness hollered.
"H-hey, stop! Stoppit! You really wanna go? Don't underestimate me...!"

"Erg... Awful... To think the tables could've been turned so thoroughly," Megumin said from where she rode on my back. I had stolen all her MP with my Drain Touch, and she sounded at once exhausted and envious.
"What a good-for-nothing guy..." Darkness sounded equally tired, her face covered in mud courtesy of Create Earth and Create Water.
Aqua, her hair frozen in places, stood in front of us and held out a sheet of paper.
So Adventurer Kazuma, the weakest class, curb-stomped the rest of his party of advanced classes with higher levels. He is badass, no doubt about it.

[edit]
Most importantly, Kazuma don't get abused by his female peers. Now if he only would give Darkness what she wants, I'd be happy with this series...
« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 12:11:25 by Matti »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #983 on: 21 February 2018, 13:17:08 »
I wonder if they will do a Konosuba anime's third season or not.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #984 on: 22 February 2018, 02:56:25 »
Thr series Gundam ZZ featured a lot of mobile suits with built-in weaponry, but it was definitely on of the less popular Universal Century Gundam series, & designs after ZZ reverted more to the norm.

I'm sure that like Kato said, Tomino had oversized infantry in mind when he created Gundam - handheld weapons are mission flexible & easily replaceable. Most other mecha anime follow Gundam's lead.

They follow the lead, but only Gundam seems to take full advantage of that fact. I've watched a few of the newer shows, like Knights of Sidonia, and the hand-held swappable weapon isn't upgraded and tacked onto existing older stock that much. There's a lot of emphasis on newer models with better performance characteristics - and new weapons to go with them.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #985 on: 22 February 2018, 03:09:44 »

Something I whipped up for a friend who likes anime.

Edit: The 'unicorn' doll that it carries is actually a hovercycle for the pilot.

I like anime Mecha, and kinda like the notion of seeing the two mixed. I would hate for one type to be the premier dominant over the other, though.

I always liked Heavy Gear, for example, and wish there was a BT faction that went with smaller, cheeper ultra-light Mechs/Protos as heavy infantry, compared to Battle Armor.

As for Gundam Wing - I cut my Gundam Chops on that series, but I have issues with the writing/dialogue.  That's a beef I have with a lot of Gundam Stories, and many anime in general. There are some things that people just don't say, and I joke about it at times. But, that never really ruins the series for me, as G-Wing managed to keep steaming along, keeping me interested all the way to the end, anyway.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #986 on: 22 February 2018, 06:44:53 »
I always liked Heavy Gear, for example, and wish there was a BT faction that went with smaller, cheeper ultra-light Mechs/Protos as heavy infantry, compared to Battle Armor.

Heavy Gear was spiritually influenced by Votoms.  Which believe if memory serves me right, does use hand held weapons as well. Their Mechs (They called Scopedogs) are very customization too. When i watched the series i thought it was neat method of making realmecha genres show.  Not super tough Gundam, but light cavalry machine. 

« Last Edit: 22 February 2018, 10:10:20 by Wrangler »

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #987 on: 22 February 2018, 07:10:48 »
Some of those older shows sometimes nake me with we had rules better suited for hand held gear in btech
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #988 on: 22 February 2018, 10:47:25 »
Seconded.

Votoms. Have a handfull of VHS or DVDs at one point, scattered around the storyline, including the final battle between some major boss. Wish I could find more of it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #989 on: 22 February 2018, 11:00:33 »
There was US release of Votoms box set for entire series (old one, not the anniversary new OVAs) couple years back.
My wife got me really nice boxed one that came in a tin "ammo case", i've not poked around seeing it's still available since DVDs are on decline these days.