Author Topic: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread  (Read 33270 times)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
Re: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread
« Reply #240 on: 05 January 2018, 00:43:10 »
Sooo, last night I decided to let the winds wander and the weather be unpredictable.

I didn't notice anything amiss until many turns later when ejected crews across the board were suddenly swept into oblivion.

On the very next turn, as I exited the board (Breakthrough, Attacker), 3 enemy Meks were destroyed by tornadoes.

Tornadoes.

I laughed and laughed. Then I wept at the loss of the salvage. Then I realized that the scenario didn't permit me to take salvage, so I went back to laughing.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #241 on: 06 January 2018, 20:02:30 »
Erm, the little name tags for each mech during a mm battle have disappeared, the mouseover tool tips are still there, just not the labels. I'm not that great at mech silhouette spotting yet :D

Did I press something?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #242 on: 06 January 2018, 20:32:36 »
Erm, the little name tags for each mech during a mm battle have disappeared, the mouseover tool tips are still there, just not the labels. I'm not that great at mech silhouette spotting yet :D

Did I press something?

Try pressing Y, also a list of keyboard shortcuts is in the docs folder.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #243 on: 14 January 2018, 21:54:20 »
MekHQ: Is there any way to determine the number of outstanding shares? Other than triggering a Retirement Roll?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #244 on: 14 January 2018, 22:02:51 »
AtB:

Special Event: Hire one recruit of your choice

How is this typically handled? If I don't like the looks of the recruit, am I supposed to consider that a swing and a miss and move on? Rechecking the same category over and over seems like dirty pool (might as well just use "edit"), but can I pick a recruit from a different category instead?

Random

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #245 on: 15 January 2018, 04:43:16 »
I don't know what time frame you're playing in but I usually just hire a tech and make him/her a Clan tech.
It the only way I could think of to get them.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #246 on: 15 January 2018, 09:18:43 »
AtB:

Special Event: Hire one recruit of your choice

How is this typically handled? If I don't like the looks of the recruit, am I supposed to consider that a swing and a miss and move on? Rechecking the same category over and over seems like dirty pool (might as well just use "edit"), but can I pick a recruit from a different category instead?

Personally, I reroll until they are Vet or Elite.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #247 on: 18 January 2018, 06:19:26 »
If I wanted to have my medevac VTOL on standby, how would I go about that?
If one of my Mechwarriors gets shot out of their ride I want to send in a Kestrel. But I do not want that to be on the field from the beginning, only when and if I need it. I know I can just spawn one by reinforcing from RAT, but I would rather use the one with my crew that I bought for this purpose.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #248 on: 18 January 2018, 09:39:08 »
I believe you can export your chopper to a MUL, then, in Megamek, "Reinforce from MUL".

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #249 on: 18 January 2018, 10:24:05 »
You can have other units from your campaign arrive as reinforcements on X turns but, there is no way to have units in reserve on the side-lines.  Reinforce from MUL or RAT as Nick stated is the only way to make units appear on command like that.  And if you claim them during the scenario resolution then they will be added to your hangar as a new unit I believe.  Could just try to have your Kestrel land or start out landed in a corner somewhere away from the battle and then use him as needed if the map is big enough for that.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #250 on: 18 January 2018, 18:27:55 »
 O0 8) O0 Is there anything the Mek games can't do? O0 8) O0

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #251 on: 19 January 2018, 02:18:39 »
Other than change the length of the maintenance cycle....

Is there anything other than that....

Baktru

• Recruit
« Reply #252 on: 19 January 2018, 18:29:09 »
Be good to me and give me a decent company? :p

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #253 on: 20 January 2018, 05:47:02 »
Make me rich.   It can't make me rich.   ;) 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #254 on: 25 January 2018, 20:48:42 »
...And we're back!  8)

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #255 on: 27 January 2018, 07:35:54 »
My techs just put an IS endo right torso on a salvaged clan mech. Should I worry about what happens when the ammo bin gets hit (again)?
And is there any way to prevent that?
That was also the first mech I ever got by killing the pilot without destroying the head/life support completly.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #256 on: 28 January 2018, 10:40:40 »
As far as I can recall techbase isn't taken into consideration for locations. There's no Clan Endosteel Right Torso, just Endosteel Right Torso (one of the several failings of the current rules but we followed canon.) Unless that's changed in MHQ, your 'Mech will function as it always has.

officer1473

• Private
« Reply #257 on: 12 February 2018, 02:13:32 »
I just noticed that the non-canon Wolverine ER PPC was changed to the canon Enhanced PPC. Is there any easy way I could switch that back?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #258 on: 12 February 2018, 09:28:31 »
Go into the meklab and customize it back to what you want?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #259 on: 12 February 2018, 09:39:31 »
I just noticed that the non-canon Wolverine ER PPC was changed to the canon Enhanced PPC. Is there any easy way I could switch that back?

Not without changing code. The Wolverine PPC was changed in IO to be the Enhanced PPC.  As such we updated the data in MegaMek to reflect this.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Unterweger

• Recruit
« Reply #260 on: 12 February 2018, 16:00:07 »
Hi, I'm new to this board, hope this is the right place to for some Megamek-related questions. In the last week I did play a little around with MM and MM HQ - very impressive work! Ten years ago I did play a lot of BT, so all rule-related concepts in MM are more or less clear to me. But with some things I would like to do in MM I just find the right option.

First of all: How do I create Scenarios by myself? I cant find the option where to save a prepared game as mms-file.
Second: I did start a prepared campaign in MM HQ ("Fist and Falcon"). I understood how to deploy troops to a scenario and start it... but where it the enemy? Do I have to create an army for the bot by myself?

Thanks for your help!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 12 February 2018, 18:31:32 »
 Welcome,

1. You create a scenario in MekHQ in the Briefing room, you have to add a mission first. Once you create the scenario, deploy your troops, head to MegaMek and add the enemy forces. Or you can use the Against the Bot rules and it will create missions and scenarios for you complete with enemy forces. These will mostly be lance to company sized.

2. Sort of like above. I usually have a contract (Merc) and then ignore/delete most AtB missions rolled as I fight mainly Battalion sized and above battles. I manually create the enemy forces. Warning!!!!! If playing Clan era as IS, AtB tends to create a dang trinary to fight your lance.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #262 on: 12 February 2018, 20:27:13 »
Hi, I'm new to this board, hope this is the right place to for some Megamek-related questions. In the last week I did play a little around with MM and MM HQ - very impressive work! Ten years ago I did play a lot of BT, so all rule-related concepts in MM are more or less clear to me. But with some things I would like to do in MM I just find the right option.

First of all: How do I create Scenarios by myself? I cant find the option where to save a prepared game as mms-file.
Second: I did start a prepared campaign in MM HQ ("Fist and Falcon"). I understood how to deploy troops to a scenario and start it... but where it the enemy? Do I have to create an army for the bot by myself?

Thanks for your help!

This thread: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784 is an excellent resource for getting started with the "Against the Bot" ruleset. You'll want to poke around the 'file -> campaign options' area and at the very least turn AtB on.

Be warned, there's a steep learning curve vs the bot. Once you figure it out, she's not too hard to paste on a pretty regular basis (just watch out for flatlands and hovercraft).

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #263 on: 14 February 2018, 00:09:57 »
Not to seem obsessed with the maintenance cycle, but....

How difficult is changing the date for a unit's maintenance roll? If one wanted all meks on the same day, for example.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #264 on: 14 February 2018, 00:16:16 »
Is it possible to make a contract where one is "Self-Employed"? I'm trying to trigger events AtB for a unit that has no current employer.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #265 on: 14 February 2018, 07:55:18 »
Is it possible to make a contract where one is "Self-Employed"? I'm trying to trigger events AtB for a unit that has no current employer.

No, you have to be in a Contract.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #266 on: 14 February 2018, 07:57:46 »
Not to seem obsessed with the maintenance cycle, but....

How difficult is changing the date for a unit's maintenance roll? If one wanted all meks on the same day, for example.

For every unit in your Force...

In the CPNX file...

Find and replace
<daysSinceMaintenance>N</daysSinceMaintenance>

where N is some number with 0.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #267 on: 15 February 2018, 01:31:35 »
So, if I replace N with 029, that should trigger a roll within the next 2 days?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #268 on: 15 February 2018, 08:11:52 »
So, if I replace N with 029, that should trigger a roll within the next 2 days?

An Integer between 0 and 30

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #269 on: 18 February 2018, 20:34:51 »
Is there any way to "script" events?

BWIM, Is there any way to have a particular battle always take place on a certain date on a certain contract?

Which begs the question, can certain Contracts be made to always appear on certain dates?

How about specific opponents?