Author Topic: (Answered) Incredibly rare situation led to an interesting PSR question  (Read 1827 times)

c_gee

• Number of the Be(a)st!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
Here's a really interesting question.

Normally, a mech is forced to make a Piloting Skill Roll (PSR) at the end of any phase in which that mech took 20+ points of damage, but here's an the interesting question...

What if, all of that 20+ points of damage was inflicted due to failed PSRs to stand up during the movement phase.

Example:
I was playing a game of MegaMek (which tries to adhere to the rules of TW as much as possible) and I had a Banshee (95 tons) who started the movement phase prone.

I attempted to stand with that Banshee, failed and fell over taking 10 points of damage.
I attempted to stand a second time, failed and fell over taking 10 points of damage.
I attempted to stand a third time and succeeded. ----> Hooray!
At the end of the movement phase I was forced to make a PSR for taking 20+ points of damage during the phase, failed and fell over again. ---> Boo!

As ridiculously funny as this situation was, I'm curious if MegaMek got things right, and if it did, if this would be a candidate for a future rules errata? It seems somewhat silly that a mech should have to make a PSR to remain standing after having just stood up... Then again, I guess trying to raise 95 tons off of the ground 3 times in 10 seconds and keep it steady could be challenging.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: 24 December 2017, 11:50:33 by Xotl »
Demo Agent #666
Vancouver, Canada

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Incredibly rare situation led to an interesting PSR question.
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2017, 11:50:23 »
Yeah, that's a new one.  Trust you to find it. :)

Megamek is doing it wrong, due to the timing.  Unlike attack phase PSRs, Movement Phase PSRs happen the moment they are triggered (BMM p. 53), so you wouldn't wait until the end of the phase.  In your case, the PSR would be triggered the moment you took the 20+ points of damage.  However, you're already on the ground when that occurs (because the damage occurred from the fall).  As you don't make PSR checks to fall when you're already prone, you'd be fine.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0