Author Topic: ComGuard aerospace recommendations  (Read 2396 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
ComGuard aerospace recommendations
« on: 01 January 2018, 18:11:13 »
For cheap fiction purposes I will deploy 39 fighters in a Com Guard division.  Three fighters are dedicated to recon and ar e located in a support III.  The remaining fighters will be deployed in a aerospace III. I think I want six fighters whose purpose is ground support. The other  fighters should strive for aerospace superiority

The division's timeframe is clan invasion to the jihad. As long as the fighter is available as of 3055 it will work for me. Thank you

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: ComGuard aerospace recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2018, 19:58:16 »
Its your fiction so do what you will, but, I will say this kind of deployment only works if your entire division is on a single planet, which doesn't happen anywhere that I'm aware of.

CS deploys anywhere from a couple L-1's of Infantry up to a couple mixed L-3's to a single world.  So 2 to 72 units.  Usually less than 12.

AS Fighters are spread out to provide some cover across a large area.  Likely in formations of 2 (though I favor 6)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2018, 20:24:45 »
But I don't use aerospace fighters in my campaign so I'm asking for assistance in making a Level I I I of aerospace fighters that should make sense.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2018, 20:56:44 »
Per twilight of the clans three level III's were deployed with no aerospace fighters included. The fall of Terra doesn't have any aerospace fighters in the Level II's listed

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2018, 02:17:55 »
3055 there just isn't much out there in the way of fighters for ComStar. They're going to be using Star League designs for the most part, along with a few that they can buy from various sources. I want to say that their most modern fighters are a Rogue variant and a couple of Stingrays. The Huscarl, an Omnifighter designed between ComStar and the FRR wouldn't become available until the mid 3060s, and even the deployment of that to ComStar was screwed up by the FedCom Civil War.

Ahabs 443s might be good for Ground Support. They're some of the heaviest fighters ComStar has access to at the time, and if their NARC can be used, it might be a nice touch to have it NARC targets so ground troops can hit them better.

Of course, I'm not that great at Aerospace, so..take that with a grain of salt.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2018, 03:59:30 »
Its your fiction so do what you will, but, I will say this kind of deployment only works if your entire division is on a single planet, which doesn't happen anywhere that I'm aware of.

Two points.

First, many ComStar detachments (whether pre-Clan Invasion or pre-Jihad) didn't have any aerospace support since they are only posted at the planetary HPG and most don't have an airfield to deploy any aerospace fighters from.

Second, there are actually several instances where entire CS divisions are permanently posted to a single planet such as Terra or Tukayyid.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2018, 07:12:54 »
I just don't want a TO&E saying aerospace fighter. If the Stuka is a great ground support craft and so-so in air superiority then I will have six Stuka's for my ground support missions.
If the Stuka is an air superiority fighter, then maybe I need a 45 ton fighter for ground support and I can have two Level II of Stuka's included in my Level III.
Any fighter that was in production prior to 3055 is acceptable for my Level III.

(Think of it this way.  The Wolves are going to deploy Man'o Wars "Gargoyles", Madcats "Timber Wolves", and Elementals. 
The Wolves would probably have the Gargoyles carry the elementals and the Timber Wolves providing support because in most cases this allows the omni-mechs to fire all of their weapons and this allows the elementals to stay attached to the omnimechs until they are needed to enter the battle.  If the Timber Wolves carried the elementals, then the Timber Wolves could not fire their torso mounted weapons until the elementals were dropped off.)  Same concept, some fighters are better at ground support, others air superiority.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2018, 16:25:04 »
For cheap fiction purposes I will deploy 39 fighters in a Com Guard division.  Three fighters are dedicated to recon and ar e located in a support III.  The remaining fighters will be deployed in a aerospace III. I think I want six fighters whose purpose is ground support. The other  fighters should strive for aerospace superiority

The division's timeframe is clan invasion to the jihad. As long as the fighter is available as of 3055 it will work for me. Thank you

12x Gotha-500b
4x Rapier-100b
2x Deathstalker-F77
4x Reiver-700a ground support
2x Syuka-K5b ground support
3x Swift-606 recon
3x Swift-606R recon
6x Corsair-V14 general

Try these... or just swap the Gothas for Corsairs.

TT
« Last Edit: 02 January 2018, 16:30:29 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2018, 20:11:49 »
Thank you

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2018, 20:43:36 »
Your welcome, I left the three Command aero out, so you could fit in your requirements.

Though the Swifts should be run in a paired flight of 606/606C to allow three separate flight paths.

My suggestion of swapping the Gothas to Corsairs and vice verse as there is a better chance of having more available during your era. The V12b is the same, but Operation Klondike - aka prototype models of SLDF.

Hope these are what your wanting.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2018, 01:16:51 »
Second, there are actually several instances where entire CS divisions are permanently posted to a single planet such as Terra or Tukayyid.

Several?  That is 2.

The bulk of the IS has them scattered around in L2 sized units covering HPGs

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2018, 01:24:03 »
In regards to the OP question.

6 Each
Ahab
Rapier
Ironsides
Hellcat-II
Tomahawk
Rogue

3 Each - Swift or Cheetah-r

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2018, 05:49:09 »
I don't often play ComStar forces but I've played a lot of Blakist forces over the years, and their fighter selection is broadly similar to the Com Guards', so I'll say that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of using the Hammerhead as a high-speed bomber. That high-speed/high-tonnage combo is pretty much unmatched by any other IS-tech fighter, so if you're looking for solid ground support craft, the Hammerhead might not be a bad place to start.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2018, 08:32:44 »
That and the Hammerhead can break the Treshold of many DS.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2018, 09:27:43 »
I appreciate the comments.  I just placed an order for mechs, vehicles, and infantry so my four battalions of Com Guards or Word of Blake should be ready for the Milwaukee Nexus Game Fair the last week of May and the first weekend of June. 
The other two battalions are what I refer to as off-board support.  The 36 aerospace fighters  and then a battalion of infantry, artillery, and recon assets.
These battalions should never fight but they might make an appearance in a game or two as two fighters performing ground support or artillery support.
(The potential air support role is why I needed/wanted ideas for the fighters.)

thank you again.