Author Topic: SLDF Independent Regiment TO&E  (Read 3458 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
SLDF Independent Regiment TO&E
« on: 04 January 2018, 09:52:28 »
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding of SLDF Independent Regiments lead me to believe that they had a little bit of everything so that they could be hot-dropped on a world and conceivably respond in the appropriate manner in most circumstances.

Also, my impression was that Independent Regiments could be organized literally any way you like, but were usually entirely Mechs or were something like a battalion of infantry, a battalion of Mechs and a battalion of armor. Basically, my question is, is there some underlying structure to Independent Regiments, or should I treat them with the sort of license to do just about whatever I want?

Do Independent Regiments have organic ASF assets or were ASFs usually attached to Wings?

Lastly, would artillery be part of the armor battalion or its own additional unit (fourth battalion or something)?

Thanks!
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: SLDF Independent Regiment TO&E
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2018, 12:55:35 »
 The way I understand it, it is a Mech Regiment with attached infantry, armor etc. I would assume a Mech Regiment, armor Battalion, Infantry Battalion etc. Artillery is prob in it's own unit except for Assault Battalions which have a artillery company attached to them.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2018, 14:59:21 »
Plus, the 'Mech portion would be fielding only one or two designs, because the factories the SLDF had access to were capable of cranking out huge numbers in those days.

Like, for example, a Heavy Regiment could field 81 TDR-5Sb Thunderbolts for the normal MechWarriors and 27 ARC-2Rb Archers to serve as Lance Leaders.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2018, 15:10:30 »
Plus, the 'Mech portion would be fielding only one or two designs, because the factories the SLDF had access to were capable of cranking out huge numbers in those days.

Like, for example, a Heavy Regiment could field 81 TDR-5Sb Thunderbolts for the normal MechWarriors and 27 ARC-2Rb Archers to serve as Lance Leaders.

In the case of Independent Regiments that would be false. Per FM: SLDF p.14

"Standard SLDF doctrine to combine ’Mech types in units not
smaller than a company. This simplifies both unit logistics and
company training methods, and encourages MechWarriors to think
of themselves are part of their parent battalions and regiments.
Exceptions are sometimes made—most often in independent
regiments—for graduates of the Gunslinger Program, and for ’Mech
companies assigned to SAS duty. Because of the varied nature
of their missions, SAS units cannot rely on brigade elements for
support, and so they have mixed companies and—sometimes—
mixed lances, much as the patchwork battalions and regiments of
the member and territorial states."
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2018, 16:21:57 »
Independent Regiments were designed to operate alone and had organic non-'Mech components, which depended on their envisioned roles and weight (Light Horse, Hussar or Dragoon units).
But I am sure ASF were part of all of them.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2018, 01:51:46 »
In the case of Independent Regiments that would be false. Per FM: SLDF p.14

I think that quote from the SLDF FM might be out of context - the SAS units can have whatever war machine they want/need is my reading/understanding. The independent regiments are very much combined arms to a point. A dragoon regiment might have an entire company of Stalker's per battalion, a 2nd company of Thunderbolt's and the 3rd company a combined vehicle/infantry company.

Where the mechs might get mixed up is when they need a replacement for a Stalker. Then a gunslinger graduate with a Highlander gets slotted in. At least that is my take on the independent regiments.

Personally I run all the independent regiments as a four battalion unit to provide a good mix of units.

Here's a thread I started a few years back regarding a Dragoon regiment that might also be of interest.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=38409.0

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2018, 12:29:44 »

Another reference to use is the TO&E for the ELH in the original Merc's HB.  Sarna has the wire diagrams:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Elh71stlighthorse.png
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Elh151stlighthorse.png
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Elh21ststriker.png

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse#Organization_Structure

The ELH was originally four independent SLDF regiments.  These wire diagrams are as of the Late Succession Wars, so the organization is more jumbled after a couple centuries of mercenary life in an environment with declining war material.  But you could take the totals of lance types (mech, vehicle, infantry, etc.) and weights (light, heavy, etc.) in these regiments as approximations of the composition of the original SLDF Striker and Light Horse regiments.

You'd then want to redistribute these totals into a more rational force structure for the original SLDF TO&Es.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2018, 13:44:46 »
Another reference to use is the TO&E for the ELH in the original Merc's HB.  Sarna has the wire diagrams:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Elh71stlighthorse.png
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Elh151stlighthorse.png
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Elh21ststriker.png

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse#Organization_Structure

The ELH was originally four independent SLDF regiments.  These wire diagrams are as of the Late Succession Wars, so the organization is more jumbled after a couple centuries of mercenary life in an environment with declining war material.  But you could take the totals of lance types (mech, vehicle, infantry, etc.) and weights (light, heavy, etc.) in these regiments as approximations of the composition of the original SLDF Striker and Light Horse regiments.

You'd then want to redistribute these totals into a more rational force structure for the original SLDF TO&Es.

This is perfect! Thanks!

It looks like the ELH run a little light on the vees, but fudging the numbers a bit, a battalion of Mechs, armor and infantry, along with 3 squadrons of fighters, plus some command and support elements.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 17:24:24 by Crow »
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2018, 00:21:56 »
fudging the numbers a bit, a battalion of Mechs, armor and infantry, along with 3 squadrons of fighters, plus some command and support elements.

It depends on which ELH regiment you look at, but I think you're low on your mech total. 

The wire diagram for the 151st Light Horse has 104 mechs, not including the regimental and battalion command elements.  That is the same as 26 lances or just one lance short of 9 companies/3 battalions.   

The 21st Striker has 92 mechs, or 23 lances, or just one lance short of 6 reinforced companies/2 reinforced battalions.

The 71st Light Horse is the outlier with only 44 mechs, or 11 lances, almost enough for one reinforced battalion.

Given the 151st's figures even in the depths of the Succession Wars and given that SLDF regiments are defined as 3 battalions of the same unit type (mech, armored, infantry, CAAN, artillery), I would assume 3 battalions of mechs plus command elements for an SLDF independent regiment at full strength. 

Then add a battalion of armor, a battalion of infantry, and at least three fighter squadrons.  You can see this most clearly in the 21st Striker's wire diagram, where there are basically three mech battalions and a fourth battalion with two vehicle companies and two infantry companies.

Some relevant references from the Star League sourcebook that are also on Sarna:

A Regiment consisted of 3 battalions and was classified as one of the following:

A BattleMech Regiment was typically organized as a Line Regiment, further classified as either Heavy Assault, Battle, or Striker depending on the role and weight class of their machines.

Independent BattleMech Regiments were designed to operate on their own or with an infantry division against enemies too small to justify sending an entire 'Mech division. Therefore they also included non-'Mech components such companies of Jump Infantry or fighter squadrons. They were classified as Light Horse, Hussar or Dragoon depending on the role and weight class of their machines...

Heavy Assault BattleMech regiments consisted of mainly heavy-to-assault weight BattleMechs, with each battalion having a fourth company of artillery. The main assault force of the SLDF, most corps possessed at least a single Heavy Assault regiment.

Battle BattleMech regiments were the core of most BattleMech brigades, consisting of medium-to-heavy weight 'Mechs.

Striker BattleMech regiments were reconnaissance and breakthrough formations. Composed of light-to-medium weight 'Mechs, they were also the only Line unit which included organic aerial assets, a Recon company of Land Air 'Mechs and usually pairs of ASF.

Dragoon BattleMech regiments were composed of heavy-to-assault weight 'Mechs, tanks and hovercraft, their primary purpose being to fight against well-equipped enemies. The independent equivalent of the heavy assault regiment, they typically reserved infantry for defensive operations.

Hussar BattleMech regiments were the most common of the independent regiments, composed of medium-to-heavy 'Mechs, tanks and hovercraft.

Light Horse BattleMech regiments were primarily reconnaissance units, often the first one dropped onto a world to discover the enemy's strengths. Emphasizing light-to-medium weight 'Mechs and vehicles, at least two companies used dedicated information-gathering units like Ostscouts.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Star_League_Defense_Force#Army
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2018, 01:13:23 »
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding of SLDF Independent Regiments lead me to believe that they had a little bit of everything so that they could be hot-dropped on a world and conceivably respond in the appropriate manner in most circumstances.

Also, my impression was that Independent Regiments could be organized literally any way you like, but were usually entirely Mechs or were something like a battalion of infantry, a battalion of Mechs and a battalion of armor. Basically, my question is, is there some underlying structure to Independent Regiments, or should I treat them with the sort of license to do just about whatever I want?

Do Independent Regiments have organic ASF assets or were ASFs usually attached to Wings?

Lastly, would artillery be part of the armor battalion or its own additional unit (fourth battalion or something)?

Thanks!

Not quite.

They were still a MECH REGIMENT.  So 3 MECH battalions + HQ.

They had attached "companies" of support troops.

Now whether or not this is a single infantry company or 3 infantry companies & 6 vehicle companies, etc etc is not really clarified.

But assume a bare minimum of 1 Infantry Company,  1 Tank Company,  1 ASF Wing (18)

I would probably max it out at attaching no more than 2 battalions of any type of extra asset.

Completely non-canon, I made up an SLDF Hussar Regiment once & used a Colossus dropship to carry the attached support units so that gave it 1 Infantry Battalion & 2 Tank Battalions, which was actually closer to 2+5 combat companies & 1+1 tech-support companies.

Also while IND Regiments don't HAVE to follow the single mech per battalion of a Line Division it is noted that those are EXCEPTIONS when its not standard single type units.

From memory,  my own regiment had something like 3 full companies of Excalibers, Guillotines, & Griffins to form the Battle Battalion.
The other 2 battalions were mixes of homogeneous lances with the odd HQ lance that was fully mixed with 2-4 different mech types in that lance.
8 each for Locusts, Hussars, Spiders, Champions.
4 each for Pillager, Highlander, Shogun, Crab
Then toss in some fully mixed lances like my L.R.R.P lance of Exterminator, Pixie-Special, Spector, & Ostscout or a REGCOM lance of Atlas, Cyclops, Crockett, Battlemaster.

In regards to the ELH,  it should be clearly noted that their 3025 organization doesn't match anything from the SLDF era & I'm pretty sure represented them taking battle damage over 2+ centuries as mercs & changing the way they were organized to maximize their recon potential.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo