Author Topic: Stalking Into Night (A Night Stalkers Origin FanFic)  (Read 1965 times)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Stalking Into Night (A Night Stalkers Origin FanFic)
« on: 13 April 2018, 00:00:37 »
How are things on Matamoras?
Does that Vulcan plume still bloom there?
Do you see that lonesome stranger?
As he rides against the dry dust?

(Excerpt from the folk song How Are Things on Matamoras?)

Prologue

It was over 30 degrees Celsius, but the air was frigid by the standards of twilight on Matamoras. Against the rapidly setting sun, a single figure worked to drive home a few final nails into a post for a fence that was too slowly taking shape. The lonesome ringing of metal against metal filling the figure’s ears, echoing across the dusty plain, but with no one else to hear, there might as well have been no sound at all.  One final ring signaled the end of the figure’s labor.

There was a short flurry of activity, tools rolled together, a dirty black cape lined in red velvet doffed, and the figure’s sole companion, an old palomino, saddled and loaded with the roll of tools.  Taking one last look at the endless row of fence poles, and the strands of barbed wire that connected them until this point, the figured sighed.

Wood was probably a dumb choice for a fence. Homesteading on this rock was probably a dumb choice for retirement.

Todaki Johiro wordlessly mounted her steed, turned her tired eyes toward the pockmarked path to the ramshackle cabin she called home.

A lifetime in service to the dragon was a poor course in agriculture.

She drove the horse on, the old palomino’s hooves echoing across the plain, picking up softly where the hammer had fallen silent.

(Some Notes: I've wanted to try my hand at writing, and as I've long enjoyed the Night Stalkers, I thought it would be fun to cook up a story for them.  This is meant as a fun exercise for me, and if anyone enjoys it, all the better.  The story is going to be done on an ad-hoc basis, adding as I have time/will, but I'd at least like to get some kind of arc going. Also, I couldn't find any detailed info on Todaki Johiro (I'm also making the leap that "Johiro" is the surname), so I'm more or less treating this figure as a blank slate.  The next vignette will probably be about McGavin himself).
« Last Edit: 22 April 2018, 15:07:06 by Hayden. »
Hayden

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: Stalking Into Night (A Night Stalkers Origin FanFic)
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2018, 06:58:53 »
Well, I enjoyed the brief intro. Gives a nice sense of place, and feeling for our main character. There's an obvious Western feel to it, and of course it raises the question as to what's going to bring this person back out of retirement again.

Re: the name, like many Japanese names in BT, it's a nonsense collection of vaguely name-like syllables (like if a Japanese author called their English character Paulbobstein Coobakervin or something) but Toda is a real surname so probably Todaki is meant to be the family name, Johiro the given name. Only problem there is -hiro sounds very male in Japanese. Shrug.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Re: Stalking Into Night (A Night Stalkers Origin FanFic)
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2018, 15:05:40 »
Draconis Military Starport, Reykjavik, Rasalhague
Rasalhague Military District, Draconis Combine
22 September, 3019

The sound of cold water rushing forth from a tap filled the small rest room. Splashing water onto his face, Sho-Sa Lloyd McGavin filled the polished metal mirror bolted to the wall.  Squinting into his own familiar eyes he reviewed his freshly-shaven countenance.  In spite of several jagged scars on his gaunt face, the middle aged man could still be considered handsome.  Even wolfish. He let a thin smile play across his thin lips as he ran his wet hands through his light brown hair, pulling his thinning but still ample mane back tight against his head and securing the long, stringy mass into a ponytail, which he skillfully arranged into a knot at the back of his head.

He turned his pale blue eyes from his face to his immaculate white dress coat.  He purposefully wore no embellishments or decorations, only rank insignia graced his collar.  The awards left off the uniform were best left to the social generals, the likes of House Steiner; accoutrements for peacocks, an unnecessary extravagance for Bushi.  He was the living testament to his service, and no decoration could stand in for his honor. His elegant DCMS dress uniform concealed every wound, other than a slight limp he openly attributed to arthritis, though the official record would attribute it to a shattered femur, a gift from a marauding periphery MechWarrior, only just mended.  The Dragon’s honor at the expense of his body made manifest.

Today, and for the foreseeable future, it was to be the Dragon’s honor at the expense of his honor.  His superior had recommended a medical retirement, and he was on the cusp of taking his own life when a shadow approached him as he convalesced; a compact bespectacled man, disarming in his serene presence as he was disconcerting.  McGavin replayed the meeting in his mind.

McGavin’s eyes fluttered open at the sound silence.  He was nonplussed to catch the form of a man at the foot of his bed, the room too dark for him to make out more than the silhouette of his visitor, save for the glint of medical equipment lights caught in a pair of corrective lenses.
“Sho-Sa McGavin, I presume?”

McGavin blinked, trying to focus on the man, before giving a grunt of confirmation. “Hai.”

Something in McGavin seemed to shift.  Though he could not make out his mysterious visitor’s face, he felt a sudden reassurance.  McGavin knew the man was no friend, but the interloper’s intentions aligned with McGavin’s sense of honor.  The injured MechWarrior propped himself up.

“Sho-Sa, you’ve given the Dragon much. More than lesser men might. This was nothing less than your duty. You may fear that the Dragon now has no further use for you, and that you will be denied the honorable end you so desire.  Fear not. You are more than a MechWarrior, and your use to the Dragon has not yet reached its end.”

The man paused, and in spite of the consternation rising inside of him McGavin craved more. “Go on.”

“You will be transferred to the Draconis High Command on Luthien, and from there you will be assigned as the personal liaison to a member of a minor house. I suspect this man of treachery, but I cannot prove it.  I suspect you know what I am asking.  If you wish to serve the Dragon, the posting is yours.”

The aging MechWarrior made no sound, but attempted to meet the eyes behind the glinting glasses, and nodded his ascention. For the Dragon, I am your tool.

McGavin shook himself from the memory.  Making eye contact with his reflection one last time before unlocking the door and stepping out into unbelievable light and noise and then silence and void.
Hayden

Register