Author Topic: Better 1 ton anti infantry option 3025  (Read 4517 times)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Re: Better 1 ton anti infantry option 3025
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2018, 07:46:23 »
A bit further down the timeline (2609 - 2950, 3037+), the small pulse laser becomes a third anti-infantry option at 1-ton.  It generates the same heat as a flamer, has the same range, isn't as effective against infantry but is a stronger anti-armor/anti-'Mech weapon. 

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2018, 08:11:54 »
Does the SPL still get its -2 THM against infantry?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2018, 11:39:40 »
Flamers are always the way to go. Burn the poor little jerks wherever they are, burn down the buildings they are in, or the really mean part, ignite every hex around them and let nature take it's course.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2018, 11:52:24 »
My two choices would be either:

Flamer - as said, 4D6 damage against infantry, useful for setting fires or heating up an already overheated adversary, and no ammo explosion worries.

Medium Laser - only problem is that just 1 squishy bites it each time you hit (2 if they're in the open).  Park at 5 hexes, and no matter whether they move forward or back, they're still in medium range, with no return fire.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2018, 14:28:59 »

Medium Laser - only problem is that just 1 squishy bites it each time you hit (2 if they're in the open).  Park at 5 hexes, and no matter whether they move forward or back, they're still in medium range, with no return fire.

Only against rifle infantry. If they are mechanised or have crew served weapons... that sucks. and a 28 man platoon takes a long time to kill.

Flamers unless you are a heat monster.  But machine guns work better in groups (eg: .5t ammo to 4 machine guns)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2018, 22:49:45 »
A bit further down the timeline (2609 - 2950, 3037+), the small pulse laser becomes a third anti-infantry option at 1-ton.  It generates the same heat as a flamer, has the same range, isn't as effective against infantry but is a stronger anti-armor/anti-'Mech weapon.

True I often think about that for later campaigns but sadly not an option here.

One thing that always bothered after I learned that the SPL deals extra damage to infantry is why do not the other pulse lasers?  I understand why they may be no more effective since I assume once you have a SPL that can people essentially near instantly having a bigger laser would not kill somebody any faster however since at least in my mind each of these lasers would fire in the same way just with different amounts of power and range I do not see why the medium or large pulse lasers could not also damage infantry the same as a SPL other than to give the SPL a special ability.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #36 on: 21 February 2018, 00:47:24 »
True I often think about that for later campaigns but sadly not an option here.

One thing that always bothered after I learned that the SPL deals extra damage to infantry is why do not the other pulse lasers?  I understand why they may be no more effective since I assume once you have a SPL that can people essentially near instantly having a bigger laser would not kill somebody any faster however since at least in my mind each of these lasers would fire in the same way just with different amounts of power and range I do not see why the medium or large pulse lasers could not also damage infantry the same as a SPL other than to give the SPL a special ability.

Unless I missed something, Small Pulse Lasers only get the same Pulse bonus of other Pulse lasers, not the Anti-Infantry bonus that the Flamer and Machine Gun.
*edit: I did miss it, see post below*

Why do Flamers and Machine Guns get a AI bonus? 1.) in games, they are purpose built weapons to engage infantry. Real world, many players considered the weapons a wast of tonnage until the Anti-infantry angle   
« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 01:29:31 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #37 on: 21 February 2018, 00:49:29 »
No, small pulse lasers get 2d6 versus infantry as well.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: 21 February 2018, 00:56:25 »
No, small pulse lasers get 2d6 versus infantry as well.
*edit* missed it, thanks. Didn't have the AI indicator on my record sheets but it's in the books

The I guess for the same reasons as a MGs and flamers considering the short range of the SPL vs the standard Medium Laser
« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 01:28:15 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #39 on: 21 February 2018, 02:07:06 »
I'd always go with flamers if I only had one ton to spare.  And if you have more tons, more flamers are always good.  There's a custom loadout in a roster of mine called the "Napalm sticks to kids" }:)  Modified Centurion, plasma rifle +4 flamers +4MG, LRM + ammo swapped for heat sinks.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 21 February 2018, 02:46:14 »
I always found it strange they gave that bonus to SPL's but not to small lasers on their own..
BUT since you are before SPL's existed, flamers all the way.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #41 on: 21 February 2018, 02:50:52 »
You get normal SRM ammo explosion damage on top of raised heat (2/missile, up to 30 max), and on top of that, inferno missiles have their own scale of explosion checks, which starts at 10 heat.

I'm not real familiar with the expanded heat scale rules but does anyone know if they change how an inferno ammo explosion is handled?  Or at least change the max heat from 30 to something more reasonable for that scale?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 21 February 2018, 04:21:19 »
Does the SPL still get its -2 THM against infantry?
Yes they do, it's infantry pulse laser weapons that don't get that bonus.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 21 February 2018, 13:32:10 »
I always found it strange they gave that bonus to SPL's but not to small lasers on their own..
BUT since you are before SPL's existed, flamers all the way.

Yea especially when the tech manuals keep saying they added a small laser to deal with infantry.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 22 February 2018, 00:49:17 »
Only against rifle infantry. If they are mechanised or have crew served weapons... that sucks. and a 28 man platoon takes a long time to kill.

Flamers unless you are a heat monster.  But machine guns work better in groups (eg: .5t ammo to 4 machine guns)

How about if you had two tons would you go with flamer and one ton of choice or 3 machine guns with 1/2 ton of ammo?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 22 February 2018, 03:39:27 »
How about if you had two tons would you go with flamer and one ton of choice or 3 machine guns with 1/2 ton of ammo?

For ME, i'd go the 3 MG and 1/2 a ton of ammo..  BUT then i like having multiple MG's with half a ton.  5 being my favorite..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #46 on: 22 February 2018, 04:28:16 »
With two tons, the 3 MG route is superior.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 22 February 2018, 08:09:27 »

One ton of choice can be a Medium Laser, so I'd obviously go with that - but if I were offered a flamer and a heat sink versus three MGs with half a ton of ammo, that would be a difficult choice.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 22 February 2018, 11:13:54 »
I like flamers; effective, versatile, safe.

Hardly ever play with infantry, though (or even vehicles), so it's not really in issue in my games.

Register