Author Topic: [BF] [QS] BattleForce - QuickStrike Cards  (Read 16831 times)

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
[BF] [QS] BattleForce - QuickStrike Cards
« on: 30 January 2011, 10:16:10 »
Wow, it took me a while to find the "BattleForce" forum only to realize it actually wasn't here anymore...:(

Ah well, here we are and back online.  :)

http://www.pryderockindustries.com/dl_game_aids.php#BFC

This is where I host cards made of all the TRO designs that are the same size as your basic CCG or baseball trading cards.  I use penny sleeves on them so they don't wear out and dry erase markers to mark damage.

There are two columns on the table.

On the left column has all of the units with just the images, no stats.  On the right are all of the units I currently have stats for.  I also have files with the basic stats for everything except large space craft up there as well.

I have placed files up for all of the printed TROs except 3085, and do not have anything for the XTROs yet though may do them in the future.

Note that I make the pdf files out of PNG files, and adobe reader seems to have a bug when it comes to viewing PNG-based files.  It adds black lines and sometimes full black bars to the preview and zoomed out views when opening the file.  This is on the screen only.  When printed, the files are as they actually are.  I use foxit reader for most of my stuff, as it is less bloatware, and I'm happy to say it does not have the same bug when it comes to dealing with PNG-based files.  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: [BF] [QS] BattleForce - QuickStrike Cards
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2011, 12:55:02 »
Aside: Battlecalc link is dead
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2011, 21:27:04 »
I like your cards. However on the stat line :MV DV S(+0)..., What is DV? I am most likely overlooking it in the rule book.

Thanks
Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2011, 22:51:50 »
DV is something I came up with actually.  ;)

I got sick of asking people what their movement rating was, then translating that into the modifier for my dice rolling, and since BattleForce has a (mostly) unchanging movement modifier, I can place that on the card and have it mean something.

Defense Value, the movement modifier that the unit has unless it overheats or is critted in some way.  :)

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2011, 01:45:52 »
Cool and I want to say again thanks for your cards.

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2011, 06:30:17 »
It is my pleasure to provide them.  :)

BTW

TRO 3026 files have been uploaded.  All canon, along with some of my own.  I have not updated the PDF yet, as I just ran out of time.

And yes, this DOES mean that all units, from exoskeletons to vehicles to BattleMechs, to AeroSpace, to DropShips, to WarShips, from TRO 2750, TRO 3025, and TRO 3026, are uploaded in the new BattleForce stats, with all but the WarShips being the size of a standard trading card.  I do hope you get a chance to enjoy them.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2011, 07:52:53 »
 O0 O0 O0
- Unknown

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2011, 04:30:04 »
I have uploaded the PDF now that includes all of the units from both TRO 3026 and TRO 3026 Revised in one album.

Please note that there seems to be a bug in adobe reader when it comes to reading PDFs made from PNG files which are the base files for all of my images.  It adds black bars and sometimes entire fields to the pictures when VIEWING the PDF.  I use foxit reader and it does not add those odd artifacts to the files.  The cards PRINT fine in either program, and this is tested across multiple machines.

My Deviant Art Page

Demonthunder

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2011, 21:47:44 »
I just quickly wanted to say, "I love the idea. Nice job." :)

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2011, 07:29:45 »
Thank you.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2011, 06:39:21 »
TRO 3039 in BattleForce stats is up now.  All units.

:)

My Deviant Art Page

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2011, 07:18:47 »
I recently found out in another thread here on CBT that the Mercury, Exterminator, and Crockett low-tech 'Mechs are not in 3039.  And that was when the OCD side of my brain started saying I couldn't say that all of the TRO 'Mechs were shown in my files.  And I tried to talk it out of its annoyance.  It was only three 'Mechs after all.  But my brain's rather stubborn.  ;)

So, I have added ALL of the Star League lowtech variants first published in TRO 3025 Revised onto the end of the TRO 3025 PDF.  I have also added the datafiles to the TRO 2750 files as I prefer to keep the chassis all in one place.  So, if you want to use the lowtech Star League 'Mechs, all of those are available here now.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2011, 23:57:33 »
which font do you use again? There's a stunning lack of MAD-3Ds in your files I downloaded - unless you added it in the last month or so.

And also, why do some of the 'Mechs have IF and not LRM damage, yet others do?

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2011, 10:11:38 »
IF and LRM damage...

That's some funny rules there.  ;)

In short, you have to have heat-modified LRM damage of at least 10 to get an LRM 1/1/1 spread.  You only need 5 points to get IF1.  So a single LRM 15 as an example that averages hitting with 9 missiles will be STANDARD damage of 1/1/1 but still give IF1.

Also, if you have Artemis, it can't use "nonstandard" LRM ammo so no matter how much damage you do, it only counts as standard damage, though it still grants you IF of whatever.

Trust me...the rules for converting units TO BattleForce stats to play with are HARD to get your head around.  Also, I think they've been through three or four revisions.  And...I think I can say that it is a very good thing that I started this project when I did...aka after the book came out but before the final errata and MOST importantly before Catalyst started releasing their OWN product with BF stats in them.  I ran into a lot of stuff that made my head spin and I kicked questions up the chain and the issues got figured out and corrected before Catalyst started putting out THEIR BattleForce cards.  I just had to redo some of mine...;)

As for fonts on my cards...let me see here...I should have that information saved in my datafiles.  I like to save text files in my directories with directions on how I made the stuff in that directory so I don't forget what I did years later when I want to revisit it.  ;)

AHHA!  Here it is.  :)

Card Writing
  Tahoma size 12
  grey R20, G94, B95

I hope that helps.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2011, 18:39:17 »
Is there a list of all the Battletech mechs with Battleforce somewhere?

Daryl
- Unknown

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2011, 23:20:57 »
I've not listed which ones I have done and which ones I have not.

In short though, if it was an Inner Sphere 'Mech, EVERY SINGLE TRO configuration has been done.  Some variants, but I've generally done all of the main configs and then added variants in IF I'M USING IT in a game.  ;)

There are a few Clan 'Mechs too, but as I don't do much with Clans those have been decidedly second priority over getting useful stuff like vehicles and exoskeletons and spacecraft out.   }:)

Catalyst has done 3050U and 3060, so I'm betting they have the Clan 'Mechs in there that I don't have.

My Deviant Art Page

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2011, 23:24:42 »
have both yes they do have clan mechs in them
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2011, 06:07:54 »
Ok, dude, I think I've found a critical error. A SERIOUS one, that affects a lot of cards.

According to my calculations (and Solaris Skunk Works!) anything with 2 LRM-15s gets LRM 1/1/1 and IF2. That covers the Trebuchet, Catapult, ARC-2K, Crusader-3R, and a whole lotta other 'Mechs.

The only one statted correctly is the Catapult. The rest of them are only labeled IF1 and that's it.

Also, the RFL-3N should have AC 1/1/1, the Cyclops should have AC 2/2 and IF1...

Apparently (if I'm reading the rules right, and Solaris Skunk works isn't completely off its rocker) all a 'Mech needs for IF1 is an LRM-5 - and if SSW is correct, you round up for IF damage, not down. Now, I'm not inclined to trust a dumb program, but I can't find the rules specifying how to round IF damage.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2011, 08:31:16 »
Hi!  Somebody willing to go through the trouble of BattleForce conversions, sweet!

Ok, dude, I think I've found a critical error. A SERIOUS one, that affects a lot of cards.

According to my calculations (and Solaris Skunk Works!) anything with 2 LRM-15s gets LRM 1/1/1 and IF2. That covers the Trebuchet, Catapult, ARC-2K, Crusader-3R, and a whole lotta other 'Mechs.
Two LRM-15s would be 9 each at medium range and long range, 18 total.  so that would actually be a 2  (1/2/2 for the all the ranges).  However, Many of the twin lrm-15 3025 mechs have ammo and/or heat problems though.  x .75 for low ammo makes a twin lrm-15 mech 14 at medium/long and 8 at short for 1/1/1. 
IF is a round normal.  18 would round normal to 2, but 14 (for low ammo) rounds normally to just 1.   

The only one statted correctly is the Catapult. The rest of them are only labeled IF1 and that's it.
The round normal for them, combined with low ammo and/or heat problems, makes them IF1s.

Also, the RFL-3N should have AC 1/1/1, the Cyclops should have AC 2/2 and IF1...
RFL-3N has two AC/5s.  Those would be 10 damage and therefore qualify for being separated out as AC 1/1/1, if it were not for the RFL-3N's heat problems.    26 heat build up and only 10 heat sinks ruins the RFL-3N.  10 ac damage * (((10 heat sinks)/(26 heat build up -4 freebie))= 4.5 rounded up to 5 (all heat modified damage values are rounded up as part of heat modification), nowhere near 10 to qualify as being separated out.
Cyclops also has heat problems, with 22 heat build-up and 12 heat sinks.  20 ac damage * (12 heat sinks/(22 heat buildup - 4 freebie)) = 13..333 round up to 14.   14/10 = 1.4 round normal to AC 1.  It has a single LRM-10 for 6 damage.  6 IF damage * (12 heat sinks/(22 heat buildup - 4 freebie)) = 4.  4/10 = .4 round normal to IF 0.

Apparently (if I'm reading the rules right, and Solaris Skunk works isn't completely off its rocker) all a 'Mech needs for IF1 is an LRM-5 - and if SSW is correct, you round up for IF damage, not down. Now, I'm not inclined to trust a dumb program, but I can't find the rules specifying how to round IF damage.
IF is a round normal.  Base damage is rounded up, all other types of damage are round normal.
LRm-5 is 3 damage, divided by 10 is .3 which rounds normally to 0.

I need to check with ColBosch about getting the StratOps errata page moved over to the new forums...

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2011, 22:09:25 »
Thanks for the covering the heavy work on this question dude.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2011, 23:49:50 »
Well, it's not like I WANTED you to be wrong, especially after I printed out all those cards and color-coded them for each unit, but I was just wondering... why?

OK, now I feel better for knowing.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2011, 03:10:34 »
Yeah....I've printed out a few of these cards myself...*shudders*

I'd hate to be wrong on something like too.  ;)

I have a little excel file that will calc the stats for me that I coded up while reading the conversion rules like a Reformed Munchkin Rules Lawyer.   8)

That in the end is one of the reasons that I just don't use SSW for this.  I don't know the equations they use to make the cards, and every time I hear something about it, I kinda wince when I look at my sheet and know that I could get the right values out of it.

Also...I was doing this before SSW started doing it and...well...I just kept doing it...;)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 03:15:15 by Medron Pryde »

My Deviant Art Page

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2011, 03:38:44 »
I have uploaded pilot cards using art from the BattleTech CCG now.  That makes cards available that use MechWarrior Dark Age and the CCG now available.  The cards are based on Kell's Strike Force cards, slightly modified to fit on a CCG-sized card like those that I use.  These cards can be used for anything really, from standard BattleTech to QuickStrike, and anything in between.  They all use official BattleTech art so far.  I still intend to do cards with other art, but every time I turn around I see more BTech people art I want to use.  We shall see how long it takes me to run out of such art.  :)

You can find them at the same place as I put all of the BattleForce Cards.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #23 on: 29 March 2011, 04:56:47 »
BattleForce Cards

I have now uploaded the vehicles from TRO 3058 in card form and added them to the PDF as well.

My Deviant Art Page

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2011, 03:59:16 »
BattleForce Cards

I've uploaded the TRO 3060 IS vehicles now, so they and the IS 'Mechs are available for people to play with.  Once again, no Clans.

My Deviant Art Page

Ladob

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2011, 14:30:28 »
Mate, I think you can't be thanked enough for that awesome job. It in fact made myself win quite a few new players into BattleTech just from the easy of play and nice looking style of them!

What I'm wondering is if you could not add Kell's  (http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,1438.0.html) nice Critical Hits listing to your general BACK of the cards. His listing makes it very easy to keep track of MP, Engine, Sensor etc hits. With a modified back there would be no need to remake all of them.

Cheers and keep on the great work,

Ladob
Change, even for the worse

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2011, 19:48:58 »
Generally, we just note on the cards that they took a crit and what it is.

Most units don't survive taking more than a crit or two before they are dead anyways.  ;)

If people would like something like that on the back though, I would be interested in making another basic card with the crits and such on it.  Whether it be a new back or its own card that would be your choices on what you want to do with it.   hehehe.  ;)

My Deviant Art Page

breakdaddy

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 01 June 2011, 09:07:58 »
I appreciate all of your efforts on this stuff, Medron Pryde. I have already gotten a lot of use out of much of these resources

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2011, 10:21:44 »
Cool.  I'm glad that people are using them and enjoying them.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

breakdaddy

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2011, 17:22:51 »
Certainly. I am going to have to tear myself away from the booth this year at Gen Con and go check out some Battletech gaming. I don't remember how to play the regular game and have only just learned how to play with the QuickStrike rules.