Author Topic: Battletech Character Creator (BTCC) bthub.net  (Read 66317 times)

peterbehere

• Private
Battletech Character Creator (BTCC) bthub.net
« on: 06 September 2011, 20:09:22 »
Greetings AToW fans!  Although A Time of War has not been out for very long - in comparison to MW 3rd Generation and such - a character creator program is available for the awesome price of free!

Battletech Character Creator (BTCC) is currently at version 0.7.28 as of TODAY.  It includes an easy to follow wizard that takes you through each stage of character creation OR just click cancel to manually create.  Most of the bugs have been cleared up, but it's still a work in progress.  That's where YOU come in!  We need your input to make this program smooth.

I've been working with bearchick - the programmer - since pretty much the beginning of btcc.  Although he speaks pretty good English, you will notice several small grammatical errors.  Please create and respond to the www.bthub.net/forum in order to give input for this handy tool.

Thanks All!

And don't forget to check out my post on "Gaming Over Skype!"
« Last Edit: 06 September 2011, 20:15:08 by peterbehere »
Guess that Quote:

“What the—? ‘Load Ammo Error?’ What does that even mean?
This is a Wolfhound!”

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
Re: Battletech Character Creator (BTCC) bthub.net
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2011, 09:12:19 »
Fantastic... this will make getting new players involved so much easier by cutting out the math for them.   Thanks!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2011, 16:16:26 »
I'll never understand why such programs are not seen by developers as more important to the overall playability of the game...
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2011, 16:18:43 »
could we get a download link though?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Archameades

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2011, 18:36:26 »
http://bthub.net/download/battletech-character-creator-2/

I love it, while there are a few issues.  This program is coming along great.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2011, 19:12:32 »
Hi peterbehere i've been playing around with this designer.......got your site in my faves [rockon]
Though i don't play the rpg aspect of BattleTech (yet) this is really cool

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2011, 21:34:51 »
The RPG aspect of Battletech is not a new concept to me, but I've never gotten into it until AToW - which definitely rules over Total Warfare in character creation - in my opinion.

I definitely think this creator will attract new players.  I have two friends who are more interested as a result.

By the way, don't forget to check out my post on Gaming Over Skype!  I'd like to put my Heroscape hex tiles and my 1000+ collection of miniatures for BT to use!
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

Winterborn

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2011, 08:54:32 »
I was checking it out, when I got to stage 3 there was not a way for me to enter my field skills basic, adv, and special.  Was I doing something wrong? I also noticed that there is no way to enter in a higher starting xp than the 4k.  Are those functions currently being worked in?

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2011, 19:51:49 »
First of all, what character starts with more than 4,000 XP?

Second, for choosing a School in Stage 3 you must follow the steps in the attached picture (follow the numbers).

ALSO you can repeat Stage 3 with an additional school by selecting another school after completing the first school - before you click NEXT!
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2011, 20:08:16 »
??? Uh, all of them since they went final with AToW.  4,000 may have been from the beta.

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2011, 20:32:50 »
Oh Crap!  There it is on page 49.  Thanks for that tip (and for making me look like a moron in the process)  [tickedoff]

I'll let bearhchik know right away so he can fix this in next version.  :)
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2011, 22:14:06 »
Is there an option for us to set our own Starting XP Pool? Our groups uses a 5,500 starting XP?

EDIT: I have posted to the BTHUB forums. I will start giving this program over the next few days.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2011, 23:06:29 by Cannon_Fodder »

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2011, 00:46:57 »
Thanks!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2011, 01:17:36 »
Bookmarked O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2011, 18:24:23 »
Is there another way to download your file? That website is scarying my security profile.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Archameades

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2011, 18:38:36 »
I also noticed that there is no way to enter in a higher starting xp than the 4k.

I think the program withdraws the 850xp for universal right off the bat.  Then it defaults to Federated Suns that has a cost of 150xp; so it looks like you're starting at 4,000xp instead of 5,000.

At least that's what I thought when I was going through it...

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2011, 19:07:24 »
Is there another way to download your file? That website is scarying my security profile.

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,8289.msg235935.html#msg235935

This is a post I did to show the security of the forum and the download site according to AVG.
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2011, 19:10:04 »
Is there an option for us to set our own Starting XP Pool? Our groups uses a 5,500 starting XP?

EDIT: I have posted to the BTHUB forums. I will start giving this program over the next few days.

Good point!  I will discuss this with bearchik the programmer.  There should also be a way to keep track of overall XP gained throughout game-play.  This is a good idea.
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

lu-tze the sweeper

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2011, 17:30:50 »
Not a bad little program, overall.

Would like to see some clarification in the addition/subtraction of XP for character optimization (I only figured it out by accident), and some more notes on which is Clan gear and not.

Maybe an option for Stage 4 for those of us who want to take another path or two depending on how much XP we have left.

Also there's nothing in here currently for aging (ToW pg 332-333).

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2011, 19:42:22 »
Is there a way to not select a step 4 Real Life module and simply move on from there?

Also I take it there's no points only version?

Picking more than one interest was confusing for a second, I didn't realise I had  a second choice and thought the program didn't accept my first one.

I didn't see 'Mech as a piloting skill.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Bobby Hostile

« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2011, 20:27:45 »
Attributes take a LONG time to add points to.  Having an option to raise them by a level (+/- 100 point increments) would be a helpful option.

Also, any "forced" requirements such as mins in Attributes should probably be automatically spent to put them at required levels.  It takes away the requirement to manually do what is an inevitable expenditure.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 11 September 2011, 02:35:23 »
I can't install it

The Error I get is

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BtCC\btnchrcreator.exe

I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit

lu-tze the sweeper

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2011, 03:41:10 »
try installing it somewhere besides Program Files

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 11 September 2011, 06:58:42 »
As I mentioned in the other thread, I ended up having to install it on a flash drive.  It seems to work fine from there.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: 11 September 2011, 07:10:07 »
I can't install it

The Error I get is

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BtCC\btnchrcreator.exe

I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Odd, I've only seen "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit builds of Windows. In any case I got the same message on my Win7 box. Even though I have local admin rights to my account I still needed to right-click and select "Install as Administrator" to get the app to install.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2011, 15:12:03 »
Not a bad little program, overall.

Would like to see some clarification in the addition/subtraction of XP for character optimization (I only figured it out by accident), and some more notes on which is Clan gear and not.

Maybe an option for Stage 4 for those of us who want to take another path or two depending on how much XP we have left.

Also there's nothing in here currently for aging (ToW pg 332-333).

sweeper -
1. Adding and deleting XP clarification is in the works for the next version.  I'll consider the part about Clan gear VS non. 

2. You CAN take another Stage 4 path by simply clicking another one from the list.   See image attached.  Once you finish step 6, just repeat step 1 again BEFORE you click NEXT.

3. Aging is still in the works too.

Thanks for the post!
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2011, 15:22:21 »
Is there a way to not select a step 4 Real Life module and simply move on from there?

Also I take it there's no points only version?

Picking more than one interest was confusing for a second, I didn't realise I had  a second choice and thought the program didn't accept my first one.

I didn't see 'Mech as a piloting skill.

Atlas -
1. To skip stage 4 simple click FINISH before you select a "Choose Your Life."

2. Points only version is available by clicking CANCEL at the start and thus closing the wizard all the way.

3. Piloting/`Mech is unavailable (bug is going to be fixed) in wizard but when you finish the wizard - or choose points only by clicking CANCEL - you will find Piloting/'Mech in the skills list.

Thanks for the post!
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

Werewolf

• Sergeant
  • CWN ANNWN
    • Thomas S. Wolf - Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: 12 September 2011, 09:01:36 »
I don't know how to better put it, but the program is awesome.
Just one minor thing... I seem to run into some error with the attribute XPs...
Everytime I do more than 1 or 2 Stage 4 paths, the XPs attached to STR end up being down to 100,
no matter what I do...

I'll try to reproduce the error again, if needed, but maybe I'm not the only one to notice...

Edit: I should add that I tried to build a Ghost Bear Advanced Elemental warrior, for which 100 XP on STR in fact IS a little weird. :)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2011, 09:03:25 by Werewolf »
Cpt. Samoth Ze'ev
Unit: CŴN ANNWN, Spectre Company, Command Lance
'Mech: PKP-!A Peacekeeper

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 12 September 2011, 20:30:05 »
Odd, I've only seen "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit builds of Windows. In any case I got the same message on my Win7 box. Even though I have local admin rights to my account I still needed to right-click and select "Install as Administrator" to get the app to install.

sorry it is the 64bit

I got it to install. I disabled my firewall/anti-virus software and made sure I was running as administrator.

It probably wasn't running as administrator.My anti-virus really didn't like the program either.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2011, 20:32:23 by Cannon_Fodder »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 12 September 2011, 20:56:36 »
I see the web site has been scanned OK by Norton.  That should alleviate at least some of the issues people were having with downloads... O0

Register