Author Topic: MechWarrior Tactics, first extensional description  (Read 29013 times)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: MechWarrior Tactics, first extensional description
« Reply #150 on: 06 August 2012, 23:17:29 »
New batch of pictures released:

http://mwtactics.com/media/view/MWT_Aug_Screenshots_Arsenal

Obviously, weapons with blue background (such as that SperryBrowning MG) will come as default while weapons with purple and yellow background are intended as expansion equipment (Voelkers MG, SureFire MiniGun).

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: 07 August 2012, 08:47:06 »
New batch of pictures released:

http://mwtactics.com/media/view/MWT_Aug_Screenshots_Arsenal

Obviously, weapons with blue background (such as that SperryBrowning MG) will come as default while weapons with purple and yellow background are intended as expansion equipment (Voelkers MG, SureFire MiniGun).

Should be interesting - I'm hoping the beta is starting after Gencon since they're giving out beta-keys there and I'm guessing that they aren't going to give out keys and tell people to wait several weeks/months (or that's what I am telling myself anyhow.) I also saw a dev post on the MW:Tactics forums saying that everyone signed up would still be receiving beta keys.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #152 on: 07 August 2012, 11:08:25 »
The main advantage of a professional program over MegaMek would be an interface designed for newcomers to the game, or at least targetted at non-programmers.  MegaMek can be quite picky about all of those settings and details, or you deploy the two opposing companies of 'Mechs and find them crammed onto a single mapsheet, or that half of the opposing 'Mechs are unexpectedly yours, etc.

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #153 on: 08 August 2012, 11:19:52 »
The advantage in interface design, like military commands, is the command and control structure.  MM is open source, with a great many contributors of varying capability and available time.  The project leads do a good job of keeping the various parts generally in line with each other but there is still that free-flowing design element.  Compare that to a conventional business model with design patterns, dedicated interface designers, project goals, strict guidelines on what what the UI should/should not look like.  The end result will be much more highly polished and refined, but could lack a number of finer details that open-source programmers would "adopt" as their own contributions.  Each method of development has its advantages and drawbacks.

DarkSpade

• Major
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #155 on: 16 August 2012, 12:56:50 »