Author Topic: [RalPartha/IWM] Mech Scaling Issues  (Read 3295 times)

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
[RalPartha/IWM] Mech Scaling Issues
« on: 24 March 2011, 02:38:33 »
Yesterday, I got a Jenner.

Wow.

That thing is MASSIVE.

It's more massive and slightly larger than my Hatchetman.
It towers over my IWM Timberwolf.
It's larger and broader than many medium and some heavy mechs.

It looks good, and painted it looks even better, but I don't think that I'll be able to use it because of those issues. It just feels... Wrong. So very, very wrong. :(

Are there any other 'Mech minis I have to look out for, when it comes to such scale issues?

[The thread-name is a divide, because as I'm in Germany, I still get minis from "RalPartha Europe" as opposed to "straight" IWM.]
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”
-Charlie Davies; Outsourced S01E12 - Sari, Charlie

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Re: [RalPartha/IWM] Mech Scaling Issues
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2011, 03:35:10 »
Maybe you're thinking Jenner IIC or IIC reseen?

My old RP regular Jenner isn't super massive.

In general, due to scale creep over the years, newer sculpts are slightly larger than older sculpts of the same thing. Look at the 3050 omnis for example.

Though there are some guys like the 2nd Atlas, 2nd Blood Asp, Koto, Madcat MkII, and Archangel are absolutely massive. And some like the 1st Blood Asp are positively miniscule for what they represent. The intro box minis are also a hair on the small side compared to their older metal counterparts but I can only imagine that was an artifact of the different moldmaking process for the injection plastic or something.

A ton of the original Battledroids are also way bigger than what you would expect compared to later minis. Though for some like the Archer the reverse is true.

The old infantry, new specialized infantry, and all battlearmor are N-scale instead of Z-scale

When you have over 25 years of minis all compatible with the ruleset and a ton of different artists, then you are going to have to accept some variation in scaling. IWM has been cracking down pretty good on having things to scale recently though. The Wolverine II and such being prime examples of good scaling.

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2011, 03:40:55 »
Nope, it's the old-school Jenner.
I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.

I have the old CityTech boxed sets and the Timberwolves there are also MUCH more massive than the Timber Wolf I got from RalPartha. I'll post a scale-pic of that, too.

The largest Mech I own is the re-seen Marauder. It even towers over my Atlas.
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2011, 03:42:53 »
As Sigma points out, over the years the different sculptors and artists have produced miniatures that have varied quite widely in scale.

If you were to list those you are interested in I'm sure somebody would give you an opinion into their relative size.

One thing we are not short of here are opinions  ;D
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2011, 03:52:20 »
Mh. When my Intro Box Set arrives I will compile a list of new Mechs I'd like to order, so, yeah, I'll take you up on that offer. *g*

I'm always looking for 3025-3042 era Mechs with close-combat weapons built in, as my girlfriend prefers close-combat brawlers to pretty much any other mech, so I have acquired a 2 Hatchetmwn and 2 Axemen for her already, to give her a lance that tears through pretty much all my forces when I don't stop them closing in with me. (I allow her to use the "Hatchets use Punch Hit Location Table" rule, as it makes her happy, even though it cost me sooo many 'Mechs to head-cleavings. :p )

I'm generally trying to obtain 3015-3042 era 'Mechs, as these are the times I'm playing in most of the time, with some few forays into early clan-invasion, but for this I've got my City Tech Omnis.

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2011, 05:12:57 »
Last month I've got a Catapult (65t) and a Toro (35t).

Guess which one is bigger?  ;D

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2011, 10:13:37 »
What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

aka_mythos

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2011, 10:18:20 »
Maybe one day if they feel inclined, they'll do more digital sculpting, that would really allow more consistency in scale.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2011, 11:12:38 »
Last month I've got a Catapult (65t) and a Toro (35t).

Guess which one is bigger?  ;D

The Catapult with open doors is a tiny little thing anyway.  Much preferred the original sculpt on it.

Lost_Heretic

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2011, 12:05:00 »
The Sentinel is way too big and the Catapult is way too small. The original Jenner's legs are a bit too big, but it's alright (but I may be biased, it was my first 'mech miniature).

I'm excited about the possible clan plastics - CAD means that these sculpts will at least have internally consistent scales.
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2011, 14:31:05 »
The Catapult has always had hilarious scaling issues. The old metal one had legs way too big for its body; the Plastech plastic one was bigger than assault 'mechs, the newish one with doors is a teedy bit too small, and the IBT plastic one... Well, there's a reason I turned mine into a Raven.  :P

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2011, 14:39:50 »
Haha. That Timby looks so sad Jal... (-_-)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2011, 14:46:10 »
Haha. That Timby looks so sad Jal... (-_-)

Well, it's kind of broken.  The right arm broke off long ago and is just kind of hanging there, and the legs are bent a bit.  Sad fate for an old diorama mini.  I'll probably strip it down and repaint it as something new.