Author Topic: A Call to War: Clan Wolf Blue Keshik  (Read 11384 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
A Call to War: Clan Wolf Blue Keshik
« on: 30 August 2015, 13:41:36 »
A Call to War: Clan Wolf Blue Keshik

Welcome to my A Call to War thread. I am going to be painting up 389 points from Clan Wolf's Blue Keshik from the tail end of the Golden Century. Honestly, I have to say this was probably my 4th choice to paint up. Initially I wanted to do a tribute to Clan Wolf's appearance in MechWarrior Dark Age. I had originally wanted to do the Ravager Star and some of the other 'Mechs that appeared as Clan Wolf units. But it was helpfully pointed out to me that some of the units (Violator in particular) weren't available as minis yet and when I checked my mini inventory, I realized that I only had two of the 10 'Mechs I needed, instead of half of them like I thought. I may do that on my own later, but for now I had to pick pick a unit that wouldn't require me discussing a $100+ mini order with my wife.

With that in mind I looked at what unpainted minis I had and which ones I had already painted well enough in a canon scheme that I could cheat and reuse them. That led me a Clan Coyote/Society force, I already had a Turkina D/Z, Pariah, Savage Coyote, Sabutai, and Corona Battle Armor point all painted in Omicron Galaxy. But right as I was finalizing my choices, someone else popped up with a Society force, so I decided to move on. Next up was Clan Blood Spirit's Omega Galaxy, I already had a Warhawk and some battle armor painted and a Blood Kite primed. But I couldn't make it work with the rest of the minis I had primed.

After searching for a few options, I settled on a Golden Century Clan Wolf unit since I had two Woodsman Omnis still in their blisters, and plenty of other minis that would work. Next came deciding on which paint scheme. There are quite a few schemes to choose from between the Galaxies and Keshiks. Unfortunately many of the ones I like are out of my comfort zone. It came down to a choice between Beta Galaxy and the Blue Keshik. The final deciding factor was the red highlights on the Blue Keshik.

When picking the 'Mechs and variants for my Binary and organizing the two stars, I wanted to keep as many options available as possible. When the Clans first arrived in the Inner Sphere, their OmniMech technology gave them an edge in campaigns. The ability to change weapons in a relatively short time to better fit the combat situation allowed the Clans to adapt to changing battles. I wanted to reflect this ability in my stars, so I designed them in a way to be able to qualify for multiple ground formation types. Although you can only use one at a time, and it must be chosen prior to a battle, much like OmniMech technology, the ability to choose a new formation type, without changing units, will allow these stars to better adapt to campaign play.

Clan Wolf, Blue Keshik, Late Golden Century

Heavy Battle Star* (6x Lucky SPA to use between the Star)

Kingfisher D     48   Sniper
Supernova        52   Sniper
Woodsman Prime   49   Brawler
Woodsman A       48   Sniper
Orion IIC        46   Sniper

*This Star also qualifies as an Assault Star, a Fire Star, a Direct Fire Star, and a Command Star.

Medium Pursuit Star** (75% of the Star receives the Blood Stalker SPA)

Stormcrow B      35   Striker
Fire Moth D      19   Striker
Griffin IIC      30   Missile Boat
Coyotl A         34   Striker
Locust IIC       28   Striker

** This Star also qualifies as a Medium Battle Star, a Striker/Cavalry Star, a Recon Star, a Probe Star, and a Sweep Star.

Total Points: 389

My next installments will go more into detail on why I picked these units (other than mini availability) and follow more of my progress modifying some of them, assembling a few of them, and painting all of them. Having a a two-year-old, a 5-month-old, and a wife who works weekends only gives me so much time to sit & type. But I will leave you a picture of my minis as they were when I started this process. And yes I realize that's only 8 of them, the other two are on their way from Iron Wind and should be here this week.

« Last Edit: 31 August 2015, 12:50:01 by wantec »
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
Re: A Call to War: Clan Wolf Blue Keshik
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2015, 15:43:40 »
It will be interesting to watch our progress (or lack there of at times) with multiple kids under three year of age. I need to place my order tonight to finish out my stuff.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2015, 13:12:45 »
Today I'm going to follow up with at little more about why I picked each 'Mech and variant for my Binary.

Choosing 'Mechs I started with the two 'Mechs I knew I wanted to use, the pair of Woodsman. That narrowed it down to the Golden Century and up to (or maybe even a little after) 2945 when the Timber Wolf came into production to replace the Woodsman. From there I took every mini I had available (wanting to limit how many new purchases I needed to make) and pulled up every variant of those 'Mechs that fit the time range. I cut out the ones that didn't show up on the Clan Wolf or Clan General faction availability lists. Yes, the appearance of a single 'Mech can be explained away pretty easily among the Clans through salvage and trading, but I wanted to limit the explanations, they can add up quickly if you allow them.

Funny coincidence, or maybe not, but I had a pair of Woodsman and there's two official variants of the Woodsman. There's 20% of my Binary complete. I had a Supernova mini that I had already begun painting in this scheme to go along with a Sun Cobra that I had finished. The Sun Cobra doesn't fit the timeline, but the Supernova did and only the original fit the time frame, so there's one more decided.

At this point for my heavy/assualt star I had two Size 3 'Mechs and a Size 4. Two Snipers and a Brawler, with two of them moving 10" and one moving 6j". With these choices I had already eliminated a bunch of Star Formation Types. Gone were the Light & Medium Battle Stars, all of the Striker/Cavalry Stars, the Recon Stars, and the Pursuit, Probe, and Sweep Star types. At the same time with just the 3 'Mechs I had chosen, I had already made a Battle Star or Heavy Battle Star. And I could still make an Assault Star, a Fast Assault Star, Fire Star, Fire Support Star, Artillery Fire Star, Direct Fire Star, Anti-Air Star, and a Command Star. With my faction, timeline, and mini options it wasn't possible to complete the all of those types, but with some work I could add some more.

To add Assault Star to the list, I only needed to keep the rest of the 'Mechs at Size 3 or 4, with a minimum of 5 points of armor, and one of the two remaining 'Mechs needed to deal at least 3 damage at medium range. Pretty simple considering we're talking about Clan heavy and assault 'Mechs. If I wanted to make that a Fast Assault Star, they also needed to move 10" or faster or jump any speed. This really put a crimp in my style since I wanted to use a Kingfisher I had primed and none of the Kingfishers move that fast or jump.

By adding two more Snipers or Missile Boats to the Star, I could make it a Fire Star and if they had any Indirect Fire ability it could be a Fire Support Star. If I added a pair of Nagas, I could make it an Artillery Fire Star, but I'd lose out on the Assault Star, so I decided to drop that. As long as the two remaining 'Mechs could deal 2 or more damage at long range it would qualify as a Direct Fire Star. Lastly was the Anti-Air Star, requiring two 'Mechs to have one of FLK/AC/ARTX. Not many Clan 'Mechs in that era have those specials, and the bonus ability wasn't as important to me so I ignored this as well.

To create a Command Star, I would need a unit commander, and one more 'Mech that was a Sniper/Missile Boat/Skirmisher/Juggernaut. Depending on the rest of the requirements this would be easy.

In the end I wanted to add two 'Mechs that were:
-Size 3 or 4
-Had at least 5 points of armor
-Dealt at least 3 damage at Medium
-Dealt at least 2 damage at Long
-Were either Sniper or Missile Boat roles.

This narrowed my options down quite a bit, and based on my available minis, led me to the Kingfisher D and Orion IIC. This gives me a pretty robust heavy/assault star, every 'Mech can deal at least 4 damage out to long range, each one has at least 7 points of armor and at least 6 points of structure. The Alpha Strike 'Mech of the Week Thunderbolt Tester would have a tough time taking on any of these 'Mechs and I'm not sure it would survive the 5+ turns require to kill one. But all this ability gobbles up points, 243 out of my 400 point max to be specific. That left me with just over 31 points per 'Mech to spend on my lighter Star, a process I'll cover in my next post.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2015, 13:17:57 »
One of the really neat things about Clan forces is how flexible they are under the Alpha Strike Force Generation system. I don't know if it was intentional or a happy accident, but it is very cool.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2015, 13:21:25 »
One of the really neat things about Clan forces is how flexible they are under the Alpha Strike Force Generation system. I don't know if it was intentional or a happy accident, but it is very cool.
The best part is all of my flexibility was done without even considering changing omni variants. I just picked the ones that worked for what I had, what I wanted to do and tried to maximize the flexibility without considering changing Omni variants. Once you consider Omni variants, there's not too many formation types that you couldn't achieve with just 5 different Omni chassis.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2015, 13:23:25 »
There are probably a couple of Omni chassis that could fit every basic formation type with different configs.  The Timber Wolf actually comes to mind for that one.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't make a Heavy Recon Star out of them, or a Sweep Star, or any number of other kinds.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2015, 13:26:36 »
You're really encouraging me to finish my Ghost Bear trinary...
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2015, 14:14:21 »
I've got an article started on the flexibility (or limitations) of omnis in general. Some roles are easy to change to (sniper and missile boat) but others require parts to change that just can't be changed with an omni like armor and, to some extent, speed. Superchargers and jump jets are the only ways to boost that. Maybe I get that article completed.
But for the most part, clan omnis are more flexible from their use of XL engines which only degrade structure followed by the weapon swaps.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2015, 14:54:38 »
Looking forward to reading about your choices for the lighter Star. Always loves me some Griffin IIC.
The Coyotl is an interesting choice. I would have thought Lobo, but I like something different, and the
lobo mini is pretty hard to work with/look at. 

... [watch]

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2015, 15:18:56 »
Looking forward to reading about your choices for the lighter Star. Always loves me some Griffin IIC.
The Coyotl is an interesting choice. I would have thought Lobo, but I like something different, and the
lobo mini is pretty hard to work with/look at. 

... [watch]

I do have a Lobo mini, but it's too new for the timeframe I set for myself. Although now that you mention it, I may end up repainting the Lobo to this scheme to go with the Sun Cobra I already have painted in the scheme. Add in the Blood Reaper I'm assembling, and maybe repaint another mini or two and I can make some late-Jihad, early Republic substitutions to do a future version of this unit too.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2015, 15:51:06 »
...it's too new for the timeframe I set for myself.

Ah, right... GC. My mistake-- and I even read through all of your detailed fluff, too.
I blame the excitement in the wake of all of these "A Call to War" threads.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2015, 18:43:48 »
Nice write up.  I was not aware of the Woodsman until I read your post.  Interesting mech.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2015, 07:44:10 »
I blame the excitement in the wake of all of these "A Call to War" threads.

Thats what we are here for! :D

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2015, 11:48:28 »
Dang, pushed off the first page after less than a week between posts.

For today's update I'm going to cover why and how I ended up with the Medium Pursuit Star. Going back to my limited available mini list, I knew that I wanted to use my Stormcrow and Fire Moth minis, but there was a catch with both, I had already assembled and modded them to variant. I consider myself an amateur mini modder. I enjoy puzzles and finding a way to turn one mini into a cool-looking version of a different variant, using existing parts is a fun puzzle for me. So when it came to this project, I knew I wanted to use two of my minis that I had already modded.

For the Stormcrow I used the included alternate arms to make the B variant because when it comes to making a cool looking mini, who doesn't like a UAC/20 on one arm and 6x ERMLs on the other? I've never been much of a fan of the Fire Moth as a whole. Yes it's fast and it's cheap in many point systems, but it hardly has any armor. Likewise, most of the variants seemed undergunned for my preference, usually requiring you to get up close for not much punch. However there are a few that I like, the D, G, and Aletha Kabrinksi's personal variant are ones I like. With that in mind, I took the unused arms from the Stormcrow for the Prime variant, flipped them upside down, and used them to create a Fire Moth D (minus the hands).

For this project, I decided that if I used a modified mini, then I had to use that variant, or one that looked the same. But if I used an unmodified mini, it could represent any variant. This meant I had two 'Mechs for my star, a Fire Moth D, a 19 point Size 1 Striker, and a Stormcrow B, a 35 point Size 2 Striker. I was on track for a Medium or Light Battle Star, a standard or Light Cavalry/Striker Star, a Recon Star, as well as a Pursuit Star and each of it's variants. The requirements for these stars meant I had to keep to Size 1 or Size 2 'Mechs, with faster speed (at least 10+") and most would need to Striker roles.

That left me needing 3 'Mechs and the following requirements:
-Size 1 or 2
-Speed 10" or 8j", but really 10" or faster, and 12" or faster was best
-2 units with Long range damage of at least 1
-All units with Medium range damage of at least 2
-All units with Short range damage of at least 2
-At least 1 more Striker/Skirmisher
-Averaged 34 PV or less

Looking at my available minis, the only other one I had that fit the faction and timeframe requirements was a Griffin IIC. Pulling up it's AS card, I was disappointed to see it was a Missile Boat, that didn't help the any of the requirements I was looking for. But wanting to purchase as few minis as possible, I decided to look closer and see if it could still be a good fit. Moving 12j" met all the speed requirements, and it's 3/3/2 damage profile met all the damage requirements. While the Griffin IIC wasn't the perfect fit, at 30 PV it met most of the requirements and I still had two more slots to meet the rest.

Counting out the units from the Heavy Battle Star and the ones I'd selected already, I had 73 PV left to spend on two 'Mechs. Knowing I would have to purchase the remaining minis, I decided to let the MUL and faction availability help me decide the remaining 'Mechs. When picking 'Mechs for this Binary, I tried to pick versions that I was likely to use on a TW battlefield as well as at the AS scale. With that and the timeframe in mind, I decided to pick a 'Mech that I wasn't likely to see again, but would fit the unit well, a Coyotl. Specifically I chose the A variant, deciding the mobility of the jump jets, was worth more than the 1 extra point of Long range damage and IF1. The 4/4/2 damage profile, 14j" speed, and Striker role met the rest of my requirements. At 34 PV this fit within the average and left me 39 points to find that last 'Mech.

My last 'Mech only needed to be a Size 1 or 2, 39 PV or less, and have a Short and Medium damage of at least 2. Since the Heavy Star had an Omni to non-Omni ratio of 3/2 I decided to try and stick to that for this Star as well, meaning I was looking for a non-OmniMech. Narrowing things down with my requirements, I came to the Shadow Hawk IIC, Goshawk, and the Locust IIC. The Shadow Hawk IIC got the first cut, simply because I didn't like the looks of the mini. It didn't help that the others could out damage it. While the Goshawk is a nice-looking mini, and it just fit in my remaining points, the fact that it has always been described as a Steel Viper 'Mech was one of the deciding factors against it.

The other deciding factor for choosing the Locust IIC as my last 'Mech was one of it's weapons, the Clan ER Small Laser. The Clan ERSL is a wonderful weapon in TW play, it's low heat (2 heat), it hits as hard as an IS Medium Laser (5 damage), it's small (1 crit) and lightweight (0.5 tons). It only reaches out to 6 hexes, but that range gives it the ability to deal damage out to the Medium range bracket in AS and BattleForce. Combined with the targeting computer and Medium Pulse Laser, the Locust IIC can deal out a whopping 5 points of damage in the Medium range bracket. I already had one glass hammer in the Fire Moth D, so I decided to add a second one to help chase down anyone harassing the rest of my Binary.

Last was the decision of what Star type to use as the main or "Prime" version. I already had one Battle Star and as good as that ability is, I didn't want to just duplicate it. The bonuses from the Striker/Cavalry and Recon Stars would be nice in some battles, but the best benefit for the circumstances comes from the Pursuit Star and the Blood Stalker SPA. In the Star, 75% (4 'Mechs) gain the Blood Stalker SPA, which forces a unit to choose a target to "stalk". All attacks against that target get a -1 to-hit and attacks against any other target get a +2 to-hit. Since this is a Clan unit, in an era when Zellbrigen was still in heavy use, this fits well with the likely opponents my Binary will face. This will help the Fire Moth and Locust IIC hit and destroy the harassers they track down. It will also give the Stormcrow and Coyotl better chances to hit their targets, while the Griffin IIC can take pot-shots where needed without the SPA.

I hope you've enjoyed this update. I promise I'll get to some more posts with actual pictures of minis. At this point I have almost everything assembled (the Locust IIC is 50% and the Orion IIC will need some repairs after stripping the paint).

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2015, 16:34:26 »
Thanks for sharing. I still need to pick up a copy of the Alpha Strike Companion, but it's interesting to note all of these special considerations. Looking forward to seeing these come together as a painted pair of Stars (and possibly hear how they perform).

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2015, 17:17:16 »
The Stormcrow D is a fun mini to build. I keep mistaking mine for a Timber Wolf Prime (which I don't actually own)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2015, 17:49:02 »
Thanks for sharing. I still need to pick up a copy of the Alpha Strike Companion, but it's interesting to note all of these special considerations. Looking forward to seeing these come together as a painted pair of Stars (and possibly hear how they perform).

With any luck, the Combat Manuals will also be excellent for this.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2015, 08:04:26 »
Yeah, I'm hoping family life lines up with gaming life to the point where I can get these guys into play (once they're painted) sooner rather than later.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2015, 16:06:58 »
Here's a few pics of everyone assembled and glued on to their bases. Hopefully when I get sometime to take better pics with the camera instead of my phone I can go into more detail on each mini.

EDIT and now dropbox doesn't want to cooperate

« Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 16:20:03 by wantec »

Elbows

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2015, 16:48:40 »
Who doesn't like a confidence circle right before a big fight?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2015, 13:56:35 »
Well, I finally got time to prime the last 5 'Mechs last night, hopefully I can start painting soon since I can do that in bits & pieces with less time requirements.

But today I wanted to talk some about the variants and customized versions of the minis that I'm making. To flash-back, I have 6 stock minis (Woodsman Prime, Orion IIC, Supernova, Kingfisher, Griffin IIC, and Locust IIC) and 4 modified minis (Stormcrow B, Woodsman A, Coyotl A, Fire Moth D). Here's a picture of the modified minis with the Woodsman Prime in the middle for comparison.

Apologies for the poor photo, I know it can be hard to see the details/differences on the bare minis and primed ones at the same time. On the left side we have the Stormcrow B and Coyotl D. These were the easiest variants to build because they came with all the parts in the package. This is a great thing that IronWind Metals has done for some minis, including spare arms, or weapon parts so you have the option of 2 or more variants to choose from with one single purchase. It also provides spare parts that can be used to make variants on other minis. Those same bits can also be used on a 'Mech base as decoration to show parts from a destroyed enemy. With the Stormcrow it was as easy as using different arms on the 'Mech. The Coyotl was a little more involved, adding missile ports and a jump pack, but just as easy.

On the right side are the Woodsman A and Fire Moth D. For the Fire Moth, I took the left-over arms from the Stormcrow and cut the miniature hands off of the bottom of the arms. Since the Fire Moth has it's arms reversed and over it's head, I did the same, switching the Stormcrow arms and mounting them upside down over top of it's head.

The Woodsman A was more involved, but only because I like to complicate things. Starting with the torso, I used the flat edge of a screwdriver to shave off the missile tips from the paired LRM15s. Then I cut a wedge out of the shoulder (left side when looking at it) to add a laser. This was for the Large Pulse Laser in the 'Mech's right torso. It took a lot of cutting with an exacto knife and digging out the scraps with a small flat screwdriver, but I got it all out. In the image below you can see the original torso on the left, and the modified one on the right.

Next came the arms. The Prime Woodsman has an ER Large Laser and an ER Medium Laser in each arm, while the A variant only has an ERPPC. Slowly and carefully, I cut the ERMLs off of each arm, leaving the blocky bit at the base of the laser, just b/c I like the way it looked. Then I trimmed the tip off of the ERLLs to give the ERPPCs a different shape. Lastly I used a nail to dig a bit of a hole at the center of the end of each ERPPC to make it look like a barrel opening. These last two pics show the final versions of the arms and torso prior to assembly and after assembly. To help the two Woodsman stand out from each other, I also assembled one in to more of a running pose and kept the other more static.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2015, 14:41:50 »
You know, those Woodsmen look pretty mean! Not a bad photo at all.

So the Coyotl looks as if it was a Mercury II, or a version of that design. It looks cool! And who cannot like the Stormcrow? One of my favorite clan medium designs
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2015, 14:41:50 »
You have me wanting to assemble my Woodsman. I like the A, but it's interesting how closely they are stat wise in AS. 

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2015, 14:55:24 »
You know, those Woodsmen look pretty mean! Not a bad photo at all.

So the Coyotl looks as if it was a Mercury II, or a version of that design. It looks cool! And who cannot like the Stormcrow? One of my favorite clan medium designs
Yep, the Coyotes took the Mercury II and improved on the fast-change weapons to make OmniMechs. Naturally the first one out the door would be the closest to the original inspiration.

You have me wanting to assemble my Woodsman. I like the A, but it's interesting how closely they are stat wise in AS. 
They assembled pretty easily, the only trouble I had was getting that mini base on to the IWM hex base. On the Woodsman A I cut off the edge, but on the Prime the other foot was there, so I had to cut the edge of the hex base. Similarly, I had to cut out space for the feet of the Stormcrow to fit better.

The AS stats are very similar, it just comes down to which Role (Brawler or Sniper) and which specials (CASE/IF/LRM or ENE/OVL) you want for 48 or 49 PV.

EDIT: Just checked my primed minis and it seems I missed part of the underside of all the ones I primed yesterday. Fortunately, I already have some primed and I can touch up the rest tomorrow after work
« Last Edit: 17 September 2015, 22:05:50 by wantec »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 30 September 2015, 06:39:15 »
Well, what do we have here? One month, to the day, since my first post, and what progress do I have? I've got a binary of 'Mechs and variants chosen. I started with 1 'Mech about 1/3 painted, 3 more assembled and primed, 1 more assembled and needing some touch-up painting, 1 painted in a different scheme that needed to be stripped, 2 in their blisters, and 2 more that needed to be purchased. Right now I have everything assembled, everything primed, and have begun/continued painting on 4 of them. In terms of modifications, I have two assembled variants using parts included in the blister or purchasing the variant itself and I have two more that were modified by hand, using spare parts or modifying the existing parts.

Overall, not as much progress as I had hoped, I wanted to have 3-4 'Mechs finished by now, but considering everything that has distracted from my painting/modding/assembling time, I'm not too disappointed. All that's left is the actual painting.

Here's what I've got so far, two coats of blue paint on the four 'Mechs and a first coat of tan on two of them. I still haven't found the time to set up a better photo area, but here's two quick pics I snapped this morning, with flash and without. In terms of shading in real life, the blue is close to the with flash version, but the tan is closer to the without flash version.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 30 September 2015, 09:19:21 »
What brand/color blue is this (I don't think it was mentioned previously, but forgive me if it was)?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 30 September 2015, 11:02:13 »
What brand/color blue is this (I don't think it was mentioned previously, but forgive me if it was)?

I didn't see it in any of the pics I have with me, but I will check when I get home. My paints are a mix of Games Workshop paints and cheaper ones I've picked up at craft stores like Michael's.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #27 on: 30 September 2015, 17:25:46 »
Wantec, have you considered using a thin spread of putty or clay to fill the torso missile bays? Sometimes the small irregularities left after removing missile tips can be a bugger to get rid of.

Also, are you going to use a wash or dip? Given the strongly constrasting colours, I'm interested to see where you go from here. I'm even wondering whether using a lighter brown ink wash on the legs would work with drybrushing of lighter blues on the top half.

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 30 September 2015, 17:45:29 »
Ok, got home to my paints. The base blue is Americana's True Blue and the highlight will be Americana's Ocean Blue. The legs are Citadel's Ungor Flesh. Originally I had planned on GW's Vomit Brown, but it's pretty solid at this point.

For shading, I have Army Painter's quickshade in Dark Tone and Soft Tone. I'd be brushing it on, so I'm thinking I might be able to do the dark up top and the light on the legs.

For the missile bays they came out pretty well in 3 vertical columns. I'm thinking of putting some metal color to make them look like the missile bays became heat sinks. I can't get a good pic right now, but I'll put both Woodsmen in the next batch to be painted.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2015, 06:21:51 »
Wednesday seems to have become my unofficial update day, so here goes. I forgot to snap some pics this morning, leaving before 6 am can do that, but I will try and get some good ones tonight. What I can't show you just yet I'll describe to you. All 4 of the 'Mechs have their main blue upper and tan lower coats applied. They also have red highlight panels painted on each of them. I still need to paint a metallic silver on things like actuators, vents, weapon barrels, etc, but that should be a pretty quick process. After that it's just cockpits, edge line highlights with the light blue, applying a wash, and basing. The painting I think I can get done this week, hopefully before the weekend and I might hold off on the basing and do all of them at once.

Question for the crowd, I don't do jeweling on my cockpits (don't have the skill and personal taste), so I usually just use a metallic paint for the cockpit. The three colors I use most are blue, red, or silver, but in this case I don't think they'll stand out at all. Any suggestions for what color to use? I don't mind buying a new metallic paint if I don't have it, since at least 10 'Mechs will get this coloring and I might end up using it to paint large sections on another mini.