Author Topic: A Call to War: Republic Standing Guard  (Read 2275 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
A Call to War: Republic Standing Guard
« on: 02 September 2015, 08:58:07 »
Hello all! I figured I would jump on the A Call to War! Bandwagon with a company from the Republic Standing Guard.

Now, why the standing guard? Well, a few reasons.  First, the Republic has some of the coolest 'Mechs.  I have always been a fan of Davion 'Mechs and the Republic 'Mechs, and given most Davion 'Mechs are available to the Republic, it is a win-win.  The second reason is that I already have a lance painted up, and I'll only have to paint two lances rather than all 3.  I know the point of this exercise is to show that someone can paint an entire company in 4 months, but I devout a decent amount of time to mini designing (yes, there are some cool minis in the pipeline that I can't talk about yet) and I can't devout as much as I want to this project.

I am going to be using the old Standing Guard scheme of Grey and Dark Red, instead of the newer Green and Dark Red as described in FM: 3085.  Honestly, it just looks cooler to me, less Christmas-y.

With that, I already have all my mini purchased, and it is time to get down to force composition! I currently do not own the ASC, but I intend on getting it soon.  I am pretty sure these are all valid lance configurations, but if there are any errors, let me know. I am going to do a pure BattleMech Company with a C3 lance, so I am right at 384PV, just under the 400 limit.

Command Lance:
Code: [Select]
Unit            Variant   Size  PV  Role         Notes
Hammerhands     HMH-6E    3     46  Skirmisher   Represented by a HMH-3D Mini
Marauder        MAD-5R    3     41  Brawler
Lament          LMT-3C    3     39  Bawler
Fennec          FEC-1CM   2     40  Skirmisher
Total                          166

Scout Lance:
Blade           BLD-XL    1     24  Striker
Wasp            WSP-8T    1     14  Scout        Represented by a WSP-1 Mini
Locust          LCT-5M    1     17  Striker
Gunsmith        CH11-NG   1     23  Striker
Total                           78

Fire Lance:
Arbalest        Standard  1     23  Missile Boat
Arctic Wolf II  Prime     2     33  Missile Boat
Thor II         Prime     3     44  Skirmisher
Mad Cat III Standard  2     40  Missile Boat
Total                          140

As mentioned above, I am at exactly 384PV, with the C3 and the Clan Fire lance not helping that number.

Speeds don't quite line up on the lances as much as I would like them to, but the Command Lance can stick together pretty well with the Fennec using it's extra speed to keep in cover. My command 'Mech is the Hammerhands, which has excellent surviability compared to some of the other 'Mechs.  Also, this lance is already done. Here is a pic!

The Scout lance also has some varied speed, but luckily the Locust and the Gunsmith match speeds pretty nicely, along with the Wasp and the Blade.  The wasp is the week point of this lance, given its TMM of only 2 and only 3 points of anything, it'll be dead quick.

Finally, the fire support lance has the nice ability to throw an total of 7 points of IF damage in a single turn while doing even more than that at long range. This is an expensive lance, and a good chunk of the reason I don't have an infantry or vehicle support.

« Last Edit: 03 September 2015, 09:06:31 by Stinger »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A Call to War: Republic Standing Guard
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2015, 09:24:11 »
Yep, your Lances meet all the lance requirements.  You are good.

Command: Two Skirmishers, Snipers, Missiles Boats or Juggernauts? check.  At least one Brawler, Striker or Scout? Check.  That was actually the one I thought most likely to cause problems :).

Scout (aka Recon):  Move of 10"+? check.  At least two Scouts/Strikers? check.

Fire Lance: at least 3 Missle Boats/Snipers? check.

All good.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2015, 21:40:35 »
a nice looking force. 

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2015, 21:44:31 »
What's this about "C3 Bonus"?  All C3 costs are included in their respective cards.  C3S and C3M are all plug and play for force building; there's no multiplier or after the fact points increase for using it.  The multiplier is included when determining the offensive PV of your units, and is represented as 1.1x the normal offensive PV cost of the unit.  Your Command Lance should be 166 PV. :)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2015, 09:05:26 »
What's this about "C3 Bonus"?  All C3 costs are included in their respective cards.  C3S and C3M are all plug and play for force building; there's no multiplier or after the fact points increase for using it.  The multiplier is included when determining the offensive PV of your units, and is represented as 1.1x the normal offensive PV cost of the unit.  Your Command Lance should be 166 PV. :)

Okay, so I misunderstood the rules, and yay! I have edited the original post!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2015, 09:47:55 »
You were applying the C3 penalty again, weren't you? ;)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP