Author Topic: Jerry Doyle is dead  (Read 3555 times)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Jerry Doyle is dead
« on: 28 July 2016, 11:51:55 »
The actor who portrayed Michael Garibaldi on Babylon 5 has passed according to his twitter page and Yahoo.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Re: Jerry Doyle is dead
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2016, 11:59:49 »
 :'(
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

jackson123

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2016, 12:09:03 »
 :( He was a good actor. Loved that show.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2016, 12:12:02 »
2016 is a little more than half over.

RIP, Jerry.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2016, 12:15:23 »
 :o holy **** :'(
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2016, 12:46:14 »
Wow, he's gone beyond the outer rim.

Good bye Mr Doyle.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2016, 12:50:47 »
That is sad news.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2016, 12:51:29 »
Loved him as Garabaldi.

To quote the creator of the webcomic, "Goblins," - sonuvacrap.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2016, 13:23:05 »
sad day ...i just got post on my fb page from vice news

if i see the grim reaper first thing ill do is introduce him to 4 small and one large thing at the end of my foot implanting it straight to family jewels...this had been a bad year so far
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2016, 14:31:43 »
He has passed beyond the rim to join the first ones. Rest in Peace Jerry Doyle, AKA Michael Garibaldi.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2016, 15:06:14 »
The world will miss his wit. I think I will put the Gathering on in the ol' DVD player.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2016, 15:13:03 »
sad day ...i just got post on my fb page from vice news

if i see the grim reaper first thing ill do is introduce him to 4 small and one large thing at the end of my foot implanting it straight to family jewels...this had been a bad year so far

Use the ball of the foot or the instep as the contact point, less chance of breaking your foot......

Is it just me, or have 2016 been hard on celebs we actually like? I can think of a lot of so-called "celebs" I don't care about......

Craig
« Last Edit: 28 July 2016, 15:15:03 by trboturtle »
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2016, 15:21:04 »
Is it just me, or have 2016 been hard on celebs we actually like? I can think of a lot of so-called "celebs" I don't care about......

In my family, we'd crack a dark joke about "Well I guess the Reaper's DVDs broke. THIS is how he combats that."
Though in all honestly it's just the sad truth that entertainers we loved are now approaching their ends.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2016, 15:54:35 »
Well, its musicians as well . . . and they are not all old.  I saw Trek today and the whole time I kept thinking 'Chekov is dead.'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2016, 19:04:16 »
Such sucky news.

Goodbye and fare you well Jerry. I'll be toasting your memory.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2016, 21:34:51 »
*depressed shrug* I didn't even know about his Radio show. B5 has lost several veterans, sadly...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2016, 05:45:22 »
Sad day.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2016, 08:32:20 »
Someone posted about this on Dragonsfoot; the first place I heard about it.  We've lost so many great actors from that show, over the years.  It fills me with sadness.   :'(

R.I.P., Jerry.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2016, 10:41:32 »
I recall a friend asking earlier this year, "Who let Goerge R.R. Martin write 2016?" Truly, this has been a difficult year for the loss of icons from some of my favorite media. I'll have a moment of silence and hoist one high tonight in Mr. Doyle's memory. RIP Mr. Garibaldi.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2016, 23:52:20 »
RIP Jerry

Somewhere on the other side "Hello Old Friend"  O:-)

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 30 July 2016, 00:56:39 »
How did Babylon 5's cast get the hardest hit over the years?
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 30 July 2016, 01:23:37 »
Most of the cast where mature working actors when the series was made, Trek tended to use more younger working actors or fresh talent, Age caught up with the B5 case first.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 30 July 2016, 04:01:32 »
:o holy **** :'(

Yeah, I'll second this. I'm already having a hard enough time with this being the anniversary of my dad's death, this is just an added shock.

In a lot of ways his character was the heart of the show. There were the assorted chosen ones, the butt kickers, the ones with all sorts of unique talents and aspects that made the special, but Garibaldi, so well delivered by Doyle, was the common, every man who was so relateable and had such a dry, witty, down to earth perspective on matters.

I'm already in my cups, I'm calling it a night.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #24 on: 30 July 2016, 11:17:44 »
so well delivered by Doyle, was the common, every man who was so relateable and had such a dry, witty, down to earth perspective on matters.
Which reminds me of either a commentary I heard from the DVD, or an interview I read from JMS.

He had certain endings for most of the characters already planned out. For Garabaldi's he was specifically pleased with the irony of his own.
For years Garabaldi has dealt with so much crap, been such a workaholic, he suspected he'd end up face down in Brown Sector forgotten one day.
In fact, the character even quoted such yet at the end of it all what did he get? A loving wife, a kid, a nice home on Mars, money, and his friends still alive.

For ironic endings, I'll agree that this was one of the better for a fictional character.
All the special characters get some universal changing ending, he just finally finds a peaceful existence.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #25 on: 30 July 2016, 23:21:01 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 31 July 2016, 09:33:13 »
Most of the cast where mature working actors when the series was made, Trek tended to use more younger working actors or fresh talent, Age caught up with the B5 case first.
Every one of those men was 60 yrs of age or younger (44, in the case of Richard Biggs).  I know every man has his time to go, but it just feels like far too many of these men have left us far too soon.  Maybe it just feels that way, because I'm such a huge fan of the show, and the fact that it doesn't have the massive following like Star Trek or Stargate (for example), makes me feel like these actors didn't get the recognition they deserve.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and maudlin.  :-\

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2016, 10:37:37 »
Thing is B5 sort of broke the mold for Sci Fi at that time and others followed it example.  Star Trek is a great example . . . TOS and Next Gen were both episodic.  To the point IIRC that the star dates for TOS were not in order the way the episodes aired.  Next Gen followed the same pattern, and why not it was the same people doing the show.  DS9 following on its heels did the same thing . . . until you got to the Dominion War, but it was still sort of scattered in its approach.  Voyager started with the premise of getting home, but like the end of DS9 they felt their way into a series story arc- or in DS9 case multi-season arc.  Enterprise seemed to run two stories. 

But B5 was different . . . they presented a story with a whole series story arc with mini-arcs in place that fed into the larger story.  Granted things did not go all as planned and the season after Earth fell was sort of bolt on, it did change the 'formula' for how things were done.  Its why DS9 started to have a meta story with the Dominion War, Voyager was concieved of as a series story that ran in the background and so did Enterprise.  SG1 changed to that for season arcs at the end of the series and Atlantis did from the start.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #29 on: 31 July 2016, 12:20:44 »
I have said before that Babylon 5 could've been subtitled "The Fall and Redemption of Mr. Garibaldi," and I stand by that today. While I am fully aware that an actor is not who he plays, Michael Garibaldi would not have been such a powerful and memorable persona without the inimitable Jerry Doyle behind him. Garibaldi is the one fictional character I identify with, and the passing of the Mr. Doyle fills me with a surprisingly deep sorrow.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP