Author Topic: Preview of Things to Come  (Read 6288 times)

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Sergeant
Preview of Things to Come
« on: 24 August 2016, 23:47:16 »

There is a *lot* I can say about this screenshot.  I'll try to keep it brief though, and give a nod to the things that you should be looking for.

There are two new details to the unit graphic spec in the pipeline.

The first is that anything that is not pure greyscale will be displayed literally.  This can be seen in the details on those units.  They are not a part of the camo!

Second, megamek will support the full alpha channel of .png unit files, instead of the on/off state that is currently mandated.  The effect is subtle here, but there is slight shadow effect around the edges of the shown meks that blends with the underlying terrain.

Obviously, it will take time for the art to catch up to these new features, but I am very excited to have them.

Additionally, some issues with the way megamek rotates the units have been resolved.  Unit rotations are now of a higher quality and no longer have jagged pixelated distortions on their edges.

It should be noted that all of the above is due to Arlith's diligent work.

I have also developed an automated method of shading existing units so that they "pop" for a better overall look and feel.  The specific process shown does not work for very well for small units like infantry and protomechs, but I am working on creating a variant for that specific purpose.  These tools are gimp plugins that any artist can use with just two clicks of the mouse.  When these tools are ready, our artists can just create their work as they have always done, run the plugin, and voila!
This space intentionally left blank....

Jayof9s

• Captain
Re: Preview of Things to Come
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2016, 07:24:31 »
Wow, those changes to how units are rendered look great!

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2016, 09:55:26 »
Wow.  I've been playing MegaMek for a while now, and I've always lamented a bit that it isn't as nice looking as other online board games.

This is a major facelift!  Those 'Mechs look great.  The color of the terrain is crisp.  I'm really looking forward to this.  O0

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2016, 15:30:16 »
The color of the terrain is crisp.

The terrain is unrelated.  It's the "Not So Boring" tileset I've been working on.  See here for more information: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53719.0

Though it's getting close, it's not fully complete yet.  V03 is currently available and you can use it at any time.

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2016, 15:41:25 »
Cool beans.  Thanks for the link!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2016, 17:48:28 »
Those "shaded" unit icons look fantastic. Great work!
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2016, 00:25:30 »
Those are some gorgeous screenshots.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2016, 20:35:00 »
And a preview of Megamek 2020

......psych!

But, seriously Sanders makes some neat stuff.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2016, 20:37:40 »
I think blood means 2020 in the same way that Space 1999 means the futuristic year of 1999 ;).

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2016, 23:36:56 »
6D 6K 6L 6R

Attached localclient_mechset below

« Last Edit: 07 December 2016, 00:22:47 by BLOODWOLF »

chichengunga

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2016, 20:23:06 »
6D 6K 6L 6R

Attached localclient_mechset below

How do you get maps to show elevation like this? is it an option i'm missing?

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2016, 21:25:53 »
Under 'view' in the menu bar there is an isometric option. It was added a few versions ago, easy to miss if you're used to it not being there.

Last I checked it's better to turn it off in city battles, though, as while the mechs standing on top of buildings are shifted as though the view is isometric, buildings don't extend upwards out of the hex like terrain does. That can make it difficult to figure out which hex a mech on top of a tall building is actually in.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2016, 23:56:47 »
Under 'view' in the menu bar there is an isometric option. It was added a few versions ago, easy to miss if you're used to it not being there.

Last I checked it's better to turn it off in city battles, though, as while the mechs standing on top of buildings are shifted as though the view is isometric, buildings don't extend upwards out of the hex like terrain does. That can make it difficult to figure out which hex a mech on top of a tall building is actually in.

Yeah I've been bit before because of the mechs being shifted to look like theyre on another building, which you try to blow out from under them only to find out you destroyed the wrong building.  And is probably something really ****** in the code that Arlith doesnt want to mess with.....I'll ask anyways.

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2016, 06:12:09 »

Isometric view has been around for years, not just a few versions.

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2016, 09:30:22 »
There's also a hotkey for toggling isometric view.  I believe the default is "T".
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2016, 18:45:54 »
Did CSL ever finish this project? It was looking good so far.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #16 on: 08 December 2016, 20:44:25 »
Did CSL ever finish this project? It was looking good so far.

Nope.  He disappeared.  He was last active here October 12th.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2016, 22:09:07 »
Hopefully will make it into stable

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2016, 22:33:15 »
Looks great but not a fan of exposed/protruding missiles from the launcher.   :-\
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2016, 22:37:07 »
*shrugs* I had to come up with a way to differentiate a LRM-15 from an LRM-20 so that they dont just end up looking like plain boring boxes.  So, came up with making them look like they are pointed 45 degrees upwards (for the turrets).  The mechs......why not?  That way you can tell whats a SRM rack and whats a LRM rack.  *change is good* :P

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2016, 23:14:45 »
Here's my logic:

6CS already has it's missile showing

So on that variant you would be able to see the rack

All the others like the 1S and 2N I could just only show the 1 pixel tips so that they arent sticking out as much but, cant still tell what mech has a SRM rack and what has a LRM.

2N (SRMs)

1N (LRM)

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2016, 16:22:29 »
I wouldn't say the 6CS has missiles showing, but definitely the ports/tubes cuz the launcher is canted back a bit.

Just not a fan of missiles/warheads being exposed, or some of the other liberties taken with artwork overtime, but to each their own.  You guys have done an amazing job with Megamek over the years and I'm very appreciative as it allowed me to play tech with my friends back in the US when I lived in Japan for more than a decade.

The mech icons (most of 'em  ;)) have continually improved and this update that you're working on is absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you for taking time with your reply and adding the images! 

How long does it take to update an icon on average?

Keep up the amazing efforts...I know of 7 others that appreciate it as much as I do. 

« Last Edit: 31 December 2016, 16:31:02 by Burning Chrome »
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2016, 17:40:56 »
Not long, changed em all to this.

Black holes

Colored holes (Hammer and I decided we liked this one)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 31 December 2016, 18:47:57 »
love the new stuff...sooner than we think MM will have full flesh over its bones...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!