Author Topic: Center Torso Cockpit?  (Read 1414 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Center Torso Cockpit?
« on: 27 August 2016, 21:01:44 »
I've been looking over some of the more "unusual" equipment for Battlemechs, and thought I'd get the thoughts and opinions about a few of them from the forum members here.

So, a center torso cockpit? Mounting a cockpit in the body of a Battlemech instead of the exposed head? What could be the downside of that? There MUST be one, and yet at first glance it seems like an interesting addition.

So there MUST be a catch I'm missing. Is it an over-looked asset to Battlemechs? Or, is it another lemon and not worth the trouble?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: Center Torso Cockpit?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2016, 21:25:38 »
The main benefit is that you are in a more armored part of your machine.  The detraction is that you have an increased chance to be taken out by a random critical.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2016, 21:31:29 »
They weight an extra ton over a normal cockpit, you get a +1 to all Piloting Skill rolls, and you can't eject. While you don't take pilot hits from shots hitting the CT like you do when you get hit in the head, its worth noting that due to the way damage transfers, as the fighting goes on, more and more shots are going to be heading for the CT. And with no ejection...

Admittedly, that might be more of a campaign issue rather than a simple fight, it is worth mentioning.

Also, while you'll survive the head being destroyed, its likely that your 'Mech will be so screwed up from the loss of sensors that your opponent may as well have just destroyed the 'Mech anyway.

edit
And forgot something. With the life support moved to the side torsos, you're likely to lose one at some point, and if you do, you start taking damage for ANY heat above 0 in the heat phase.
/edit
« Last Edit: 27 August 2016, 21:50:15 by Maelwys »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2016, 21:46:54 »
Think we had a few topics covering this.

Torso Cockpit are the best way to protect your pilot from getting head capped by a Gauss and such. Unfortunately that's about it in game, Head caps are some what rare and many don't care enough about the pilot on a pen and paper to wast space that can be used for more weapons or armor.

Torso mounted cockpit also has more than a few built-in draw backs for game balance. Life support system is now in the side torso and your in that much more trouble if that gets hit now your sitting that much closer to the reactor. Also; you can't eject so you better know when to walk away from the battlefield (which is kind of the point of the TMC)

Last, PSR gets a +1 because your piloting inside a tight box using monitors for your bearings. Loose a sensor is like loosing a eye and becomes that much tougher.

I would recommend a TMC for a pilot you want to keep safe from a luck head cap, a commander you rather see leave a board rather than stick it out until the machine is cored like in most games.

If your a brawler, it's not for you unless your scared to death of head caps. Get a Gotterdammerung or a Stalker II for your CO/VIP and keep them at range. 

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2016, 21:57:31 »
Indeed we have.  Found the most recent one I can remember (or at least otherwise participated in).

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=50306.msg1162433#msg1162433

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2016, 11:21:45 »
When you lose life support, the pilot starts taking damage when you're at/above 14 heat.  Not zero.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2016, 12:47:14 »
On a normal cockpit, yes.

However, the rules for Torso-mounted cockpits on page 301 of TO states "Finally, because of the proximity to the engine, warriors using a torso-mounted cockpit suffer more sever heat effects in the event of life support damage. If a unit with a torso-mounted cockpit takes a life support critical hit, the MechWarrior suffers 1 point of damage for every turn the 'Mech overheats by 1 to 14 points, and 2 points of damage for every turn the unit overheats by 15 points or more. This MechWarrior heat effect replaces the standard MechWarrior heat effects."

I checked the errata, and didn't see anything that contradicted this?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2016, 13:20:07 »
That's when you walk/run away vs fight it out. Your engine should have enough heat sinks to keep you safe while you retreat unless you do something foolhardy.
(All of the Gotterdammerung and Stalker II HS are in the engine) 

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2016, 14:11:04 »
engine crits will be the trouble. not as much with DHS but they will slow the cool down process.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2016, 08:40:47 »

Torso Cockpit are the best way to protect your pilot from getting head capped by a Gauss and such. Unfortunately that's about it in game, Head caps are some what rare and many don't care enough about the pilot on a pen and paper to wast space that can be used for more weapons or armor.
I would think that 9 points of hardened armor on the head would be a better defense, particularly if you have a reinforced structure. That's effectively 18 points of armor and 6 points of internal structure. You'd need to use the Patchwork armor rules from TacOps.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2016, 08:50:14 »
Add the armored cowl quirk?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2016, 09:08:44 »
Or use Armored Components to armor the cockpit.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #12 on: 29 August 2016, 17:11:14 »
The two issues that always stood out to me - and made me avoid the CT cockpit - are:

1) From front/back arcs, the CT is initially 7 times as likely to be hit as the head (rolls of 7 & 2 together are 7 times as common as a 12). If you don't have 7 times the armor on the CT, then averaged over many games you're less safe.

2) All damage transfer paths lead to the center torso; none lead to the head. Once a battle gets hot and hit locations get scarce the chances of CT hits skyrocket. One lost side torso increases CT hits from 7 times that of the head to 17 (rolls of [2, 3, 4, 6, and 7] or [2, 7, 8, 10, and 11] are 17 times as likely as a 12.) A lost leg increases CT hits from 7 to 11 times that of the head.

Basically, you trade security from decapitations for higher probability of pilot death.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2016, 05:51:22 »
Basically, you trade security from decapitations for higher probability of pilot death.

So just like all roads lead to Rome, all damage transfers to the CT?
Be the Loremaster:

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2016, 08:52:26 »
So just like all roads lead to Rome, all damage transfers to the CT?

Well... not ALL of it. There's a reason I always have loved putting ammo in the head.  ^-^
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2016, 10:49:30 »
I always thought using patchwork armor and putting 9 points of hardened armor on the head was the best way to protect it from head-capping, rather than torso cockpits. Personally I think torso cockpits make the pilot more vulnerable since you have to worry about floating criticals, and a lot of hits are going to strike the center torso.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 30 August 2016, 12:32:48 »
Floating crits will kill any game fast, regardless.

That said, armored cockpits benefits often outweigh torso mounted cockpits. I'm glad the BTU have the rules considering how many other giant robots use torso cockpits, actual illustrates the benefits of using your head   ;) 

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2016, 10:54:59 »
There are some weird corner cases in utility for the center cockpit, like if you enjoy playing with hand held weapon rules.

Register