Author Topic: Post-3025 iconic mechs.  (Read 1278 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Post-3025 iconic mechs.
« on: 03 June 2023, 13:53:49 »
What's the definitive post-invasion mech for each faction?

Here's my votes

Davion   Legionaire
Kurita   Hitotsume Kozo
CapCon   Eyleuka
Lyran   Fafnir
Marik   Yeoman (I almost went Albatross)

Comstar   Tessen
WOB   Legacy
RotS           Malice - hugely expensive, but ultimately not that effective.

Wolf         Warwolf
Raven      Carrion Crow
Bear        Kodiak II
Falcon      Gyrfalcon
SharkFox  Hammerhead

« Last Edit: 03 June 2023, 22:06:07 by Greatclub »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: Post-3025 iconic mechs.
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2023, 13:57:09 »
Are we defining “post-invasion” as Tukayyid and beyond or as Task Force Serpent and beyond?

Because my answers would be very different between those two.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2023, 14:17:34 »
Are we defining “post-invasion” as Tukayyid and beyond or as Task Force Serpent and beyond?

Because my answers would be very different between those two.

Either, or rate both ways.

I hadn't thought to divide it further like that, but now I'm interested what you say.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2023, 15:14:27 by Greatclub »

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2023, 15:49:02 »
I would be much more inclined to say that the Kuritan post 3025 mech is the Hatamoto.  The opening list seems to be rather later for most of them - Dark Age and beyond.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2023, 21:44:40 »
Second the hatamoto as the most iconic draconis combine mech.  The no-daichi I like more, but hatamoto's are on so many book covers for a reason.

The lyran fafnir from the field manuals or axeman cause of the cartoon.

Marik the Perseus from the field manuals or wraith

Liao the pillager or emperor kinda defined the "new" liao jumpy boys ad poster mechs especially with st ives.

Davion the templar is probably the most poster worthy.

The jade falcon cougar saw a lot of video game appearances and that fire falcon/black lanner/cougar shape is the new look of the clan in 3058  Once partial wings are a thing those wing mechs take over the new styling for the clan for sure.

Wolf has so many "wolf" mechs that are variants of the timberwolf, that none really shine as their own unique creations.  Savage wolf may be cool but I still just see timberwolf.

Ghost bear after the Kodiak they get lots of bear themed mechs but like clan wolf none outshine the Kodiak even if they are stronger/better balanced mechs.

Comstar im a sucker for the raijin.  The shootist is interesting but not as striking and the tessen is too techy/undergunned to be a poser child.  Like if the tessen was the mech in the recruitment poster for the comguards id take my chances with WOB.

Wob, not counting the celestial series with their striking looks, the Toyama just hits right for me.  You can definately put that mech on a book cover to send a message.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2023, 16:38:48 »
Ok, I grant that the hatamoto are more iconic to the DC. I think I was letting my opinion on their playstyles colormy opinion. DC like fast heavies, which doesn't describe a hatamoto

Davion tend to concentrate their heavier stuff, so the lights and mediums in the rest have to play the manoeuvre game, and that describes the legionnaire to a T

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2023, 18:58:04 »
Another vote for the hatamoto.

Lyran and Fedsuns, I'm probably a bit too influenced by mechwarrior4 mercs, but the hauptman and templar, even though the templar doesn't really feel all THAT fedrat to me.

Marik brings up their whole quirky looking TRO3055 line-up, but for some reason (probably my view of general FWL tactics) the appollo stands out.

Jinggau or lao hu for Liao. Mobile mechs with big weapons in the arms.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2023, 19:33:47 »
For me Liao has since their house book had an electronics fetish they could finally indulge in with stealth armor. I can't call anything without it iconic.

warriorsoul

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2023, 10:58:00 »
Jade Falcon: Black Lanner. Current version is one of the best looking mediums in the game.

Lyrans: Fafnir. Someone else mentioned it first, but Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries really sold me on this.
My Imgur:
https://imgur.com/user/warriorssoul/posts

My Instagram:
@faithandheresy

My Camo Specs page:
https://camospecs.com/author/warriors-soul/

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2023, 11:24:34 »
RotS could be malice, but I feel like the lament fits better. That said, Ares might be the real iconic design for them for better and worse

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2023, 12:26:20 »
Jade Falcon: Black Lanner. Current version is one of the best looking mediums in the game.

Eh?  I mean it has to be the Summoner, more common and their top people use it.  While the Black Lanner is great, and the new art is neat, it does not see widespread service in the Falcons.  Guess if you want to go with a video game standard like you did for the Fafnir, the Turkeys should get their big turkey, the Turkina.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2023, 17:42:50 »
I am responding to BattleMechs introduced starting (or just before) 3025 and ending 3050:

CC - Raven & Cataphract
DC - Hatamoto*
FS - Axman
FWL - *
LC - Wolfhound & Hatchetman

* Tempest? Cronus? Neither of these feel terribly iconic. The FWL was busy increasing its industrial base and upgrading its existing BattleMechs. Had the Liberator not blown up during its initial live-fire tests, maybe it would have been a good choice.

I would have said Grand Dragon or Hermes III, too, but both are variants of previous designs.
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2023, 14:53:09 »
Anyone have any ideas about what it might be for Rasalhague post-invasion but pre-ghost-bear-dominion?

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2023, 15:05:36 »
Anyone have any ideas about what it might be for Rasalhague post-invasion but pre-ghost-bear-dominion?

Viking?

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2023, 15:09:10 »

The only ones that really come to mind are the Beowulf and Viking, as they were (I think) the only home-grown Rasalhagian designs in that time. Most of the KungsArmé in that period is a mix of pre-invasion equipment and then whatever toys ComStar shared with them after they got kicked off of Terra.
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!