Author Topic: how best to make use of oversized MWDA figures?  (Read 1546 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
how best to make use of oversized MWDA figures?
« on: 20 September 2017, 03:07:41 »
i've got a lot of MWDA infantry and vehicles, and plan to use them to supplement my regular BT collection for Alpha Strike games.

i'm not too troubled by the large size of some of the MWDA vehicles, because most of the ones i have actually look good against BT's mechs. (and many of the ones that are a bit on the big size are still passable as just being 'bulky', like many of the MBT's.)

some of the the infantry on the otherhand, give me headaches. most of the conventional infantry and battle armor look fine. they'll look odd next to my GHQ and old Ral Partha foot infantry, but those guys can always just represent smaller people, right? and a lot of the battle armor can be claimed to just include a degree of "intentionally built to be big" due to elemental phenotypes and limb extension type stuff.

the biggest issue i have is the PAL suit figures. i have 10 bases of them, and they are massive.
i pulled a few images from the net for this.. i'll have to

they're about 2x the size of a MWDA infantry guy (making them almost 3x the size of the 6mm GHQ/RP figures), and they aren't really proportioned to seem like you could fit a normal guy with only part of his limbs sticking into the suit's limbs.
i'd like to use them for something.. but i'm just not sure what. (and i would prefer to avoid custom designs for these)

maybe Cuchulainn's?

i also have a a few of the "shock troopers", which are worse since they aren't even supposed to be battlearmor in MWDA, yet are the same size.

though at least they look like they have armor and stuff, so could probably passed off as BA of some kind.
maybe Grey Death Infiltrators?

from what i understand, the IWM figures largely have moved to the same MWDA sized infantry and BA (much to my annoyance.. i'd ordered 5 more Elementals to replace some damaged ral partha ones, and got figures that towered over the old ones, and even look big next to the MWDA stuff i have.) so i'm guessing that "jut buy stuff from IWM" is just going to make things weirder scale wise going forward?

« Last Edit: 21 September 2017, 02:00:45 by glitterboy2098 »

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
Re: how best to make use of oversized MWDA figures?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2017, 17:57:09 »
We are using the vehicles to good effect. Yes they are big but who is to say that 1000 years in the future big vehicles are not the norm?  :D
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2017, 18:02:06 »
I don't mind the PAL minis as PAL - they stand OK next to an Elemental. I've also trimmed off the backpacks & shoulder pads, and used them as Dai Da Chi snipers.

Shock troops? Yeah, still trying to figure out a good use for them.

And trick with the vehicles - it works better if you don't mix too many IWM & DA vehicles. I'm doing a Lyran battalion. The 'Mechs are all IWM, the vehicles are platoons of DA Manteuffels, Glories, and Galleons. They all look OK together. Put an IWM Maxim in the mix ...

(and yes, I wish I could get more DA Maxims too ...)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2017, 18:52:09 »
We are using the vehicles to good effect. Yes they are big but who is to say that 1000 years in the future big vehicles are not the norm?  :D
given that the MWDA vee's often end up similar bulk as IWM mechs of the same size, i'm not too worried about the vehicles. especially the transports.. always seems odd that such tiny vehicles (IWM scale) could pack 20+ infantry or half a dozen battlesuits inside themselves.. especially since some seem to be overly cramped just for their crews.

MWDA infantry and armor is just all over the map though, scale wise, and since i have a lot of the old ral partha infantry and BA**, and the GHQ infantry (i like their variety) so i'm trying to figure out how to make them all mesh.

a bunch of RP elementals, a lot of RP kurita foot and jump infantry, and some kanazuchi's.. all of which need rebasing and repainting, since i kinda stored them badly for so long. i also have a pack of the old scale IWM Fa Shih BA i need to base and paint for the first time.
thankfully the MWDA BA i have don't have much of any overlap type wise.

Code: [Select]
PAL Suit 10
Inner Sphere Battle Armor 3
Grey Death Scout Armor 2
Grey Death Battle Armor 2
Raiden Battle Armor 6
Oni Battle Armor 4
Hauberk Battle Armor 3
Angerona Battle Armor 2
Fenrir Battle Armor 5
Ravager Battle Armor 3
Simian Battle Armor 3
Kage battle Armor 3
Kanazuchi Battle Suit 1
Achileus Battle Armor 1
Cavalier Battle Armor 4

Clan BA:
------------------------------------------
Clan Battle Armor 9
Gnome Battle Armor 4
Undine Battle Armor 3
Thunderbird Battle Armor 3
Salamander Battle Armor 3

Conventional Infantry:
-------------------------------------------
Towed Guass Rifle 6
LRM Battery 4+1 partial
Hoverbike Squad 3
Laser Team 6
Shock Troopers 3
Minigun Cycle 2
Trike Squad 1
Scout ATV 3
Standard Foot 4
Peasant Company 4
Gun Nest 2
Monocycle 1
Guila Suit 1
SRM Team 1
Pathfinders 1

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2017, 00:23:59 »
 Conversely you can rebase them along with the MWDA mechs and play large scale Alpha Strike! 😊

Register