Author Topic: Combined arms Striker battalion, 5th Alliance Guards, LAAF, FCCW era  (Read 1702 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
3rd January 3063
Hacala Depression
Fourt Loudan III
Lyran Alliance

Hauptman Kelnikov of the 5th Alliance Guards Armoured Brigade stretched wearily, as he consulted the map. He'd managed to assemble a company of armour from the 33rd Tamar Heavy for the planned assault mission - a special act of providence, given the effects of the constant raiding of the enemy. He'd also managed to re-unite with his trusted tankodesantniki, so his Manteuffels would be going in with mutual support. The nature of the depression - a long-dried out seabed - would have suited hovercraft brilliantly, but they were being deployed to distract the 4th Guards, enabling his collection of tracks to cross what was usually considered uncrossable terrain.

For vehicles, anyway, and that was the rub. If he was going to support the Knights of St. Cameron in the attack on the Guard's base at Carentan, he needed more support. Support from 'Mechs.  Kelnikov was loathe to admit it, but there were some features of the 'metal men' which were suited to this situation - even if he wouldn't admit it. And the BattleMech's capacity to cross just about any terrain was going to be needed here. His armour, with infantry support - even a squad of the Devil Dogs had made it to the rendevous - could make the assault. But they couldn't muster the speed to scout, to cover the flanks, or to take out Davion recon units.

He had been promised support. "A company of 'Mechs", he'd been told. But (although he'd not admit it), he'd assumed that this would be another "thundering herd" of heavy and assault units. Verdammt, his Glorys could outpace a "typical scout lance". He knew the LAAF had good light, fast units. But Command tended to think always of the herd.

His musing was broken when a Senior Corporal on comms shouted "Contact! IFF has them as friendly."

Kelnikov turned to his XO. "The 'Mechs? Let us assume so." He pushed himself out of the folding chair. "Let's go and greet them."

In the glare of the sun, the first thing he noticed was the speed with which the 'Mechs were moving. Good. The Alliance Guard's colours adapted well to the terrain here, the 'Mechs' black edging contrasting with the stark shadows thrown by the noonday light.  He stood, blinking in the wind blown grit, hands on hips, while the three lances drew up in the hastily designated parking area next to the HQ tents.  Mediums and lights, and not an elephant amongst them. He noticed with approval the heaviest designs were an Uziel and a Dervish, nodded at the sight of a Hatchetman, and grimaced slightly at an Enforcer. Common sense dictated that after two months of bitter fighting, any pilot still in an Alliance Guard 'Mech would be a loyalist. But old predjudices died hard.

Interestingly, it was the pilot of the Dervish who dismounted first, and came forward. She was tall, athletically built, and the sides of her head were shaved in the Naglering style. Her eyes briefly surveyed the track park, before giving him a once-over at least as detailed as he'd given her. She stopped a couple of meters away, and saluted. "Senior Leutnant Shirley Strachan reporting. Under my command, 2nd company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Alliance Guards, also known as "Shirl's Strikers. Placing myself under your command, sir!"

"Have you been told about the mission, Senior Leutnant?"

"Not a lot, sir. Basically, to keep the Davion scum off your back, so you can ream them so many new ****** they'll think they're Kuritans. Sir."

Hauptmann Kelnikov felt an unaccustomed smile forming. "Senior Leutnant, I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship."

Task Force Kelnikov

A battalion-sized combined arms force tasked with assaulting the Fourth Davion Guard's base in the small city of Carentan, on the planet Fort Loudan III, during the FedCom Civil War.

The battalion was commanded by Hauptmann Jocar Kelnikov of the 33rd Tamar Heavy armor regiment.

Only the Hauptmann's platoon of Manteuffel tanks were drawn from the 33rd, but the Hauptmann's record of successes in combined-arms operations made him the best, if slightly unlikely, choice for overall command. His command vehicle's C3 Master melds the A, B and Prime versions together into a maneuverable and hard-hitting force capable of handling badly units larger than themselves.

A platoon of Glory fire support vehicles - the rarer Light Gauss variants - from the 10th Alliance Guards Heavy Armor reach out and touch from a distance, supporting the Hauptmann's armored spearhead

Meanwhile, Galleons from the 10th Guards Light Armor regiment - the GAL-102, with Beagle probes - screen and scout ahead of the main force.

Units from the 20th Alliance Guards Mechanised Infantry regiment have a long track record of working well with Hauptmann Kelnikov. Two companies of foot infantry are backed up by a platoon of Fenrir BA from the infamous "Devil Dogs" battalion, while the platoon of Cavalier BA have rode the Hauptmann's omnitanks into battle so often they've aquired the nickname tankodesantniki - "tank riders", from the days of the Soviet Civil War back on old Terra.

"Shirl's Strikers"

"Shirl's Strikers" are well known in the 5th Guards - as often for their off-base antics, as for their on-field performance. Like their leader, they play hard, and for keeps, both in battle and out. Senior Leutntant Strachan commands the Strikers' Command Lance from her DV-7D Dervish, supported by a HCT-6S Hatchetman, PXH-3S Phoenix Hawk, and ENF-5D Enforcer

The "Ground Pounders" Strike Lance - so called, as it has the only units in the company lacking jump capability - consists of an UZL-2S Uziel, WLF-1B Wolfhound, VT-5S Vulcan, and LCT-3S Locust.

The Striker's Recon Lance is led  by a VLK-Qd Valkyrie, supported by a JVN-11A Fire Javelin, a captured Black Hawk S OmniMech, and an ASN-30 Assassin

So, the Lyran slot for the FCCW is now filled in, in the Grand Plan. The LAAF isnt' just "thundering herds" (as much as I enjoy a good herd-fest!), and has always had access to a wide range of good quality fast-movers. I decided to tip the "hi-lo" balance in favour of the armour for this unit.

DA vehicles are, undeniably, often larger than their IWM counterparts, but look great next to the 'Mech minis. Going all-DA means the scale disparities are far less apparent. I love the DA Galleons, have way too many Glorys, and am quite fond of the Manteuffel.  The troop-carrying D isn't available in the FCCW era, but it's always fun scratching up the different configs, while also not needing to paint more troop transports.

The paint scheme is based on a UAE armour camo I saw on the web. The Alliance Guards are tan & brown with black edging, so here I went the brown striping on a sand base, followed by drybrushing more sand over the brown. I should have gone heavier with this - the stripes are more faded in the UAE original - but it came out well enough. Detailing, followed by a hit of teak varnish, and voila!

And for the record, the 5th's attack on Carentan was a success, and the perfidious 4th Davion Guards were driven off-planet as a result. And there was much rejoicing on Fort Loudan that day! O0

Comments, cheese, thrown bricks all gratefully received.

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
Re: Combined arms Striker battalion, 5th Alliance Guards, LAAF, FCCW era
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2017, 13:23:36 »
Excellent work Worktroll.

A question if I may. How long does it take you to paint all of these units?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2017, 16:40:52 »
Beautifully done, as usual. O0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2017, 17:08:50 »
Thanks for the kind words! I'm seeing some bits I need to go back and tidy - camera-induced flaws ;)

Force, four weekends/three weeks. I started pretty much after finishing the 504th, which I posted on 6 October, and those went up 25 October. On a roll at the moment ;) Deciding whether to do Hsien's Heavy Hell Raisers, or Capellan Reserve Cavalry next - but may dodge left & pick up Regulan Hussars instead.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2017, 18:03:37 »
Wow! Very impressive Worktroll.

What colors are used by the three units you are deciding on?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2017, 18:14:45 »
Hsien - dark green, with green trim. I'll probably use a mid-green with emerald trim, hit with a dark ink wash.
Regulans - tan & brown, with fern green trim. Probably using dark brown panelling, and the teak varnish.
Capellans - "appropriate camo with bronze trim". I'm considering a MERDC snow with trees scheme, if I can make it work. Will need to PoC it - light grey base, do the green patches, black ink wash, then try drybrushing the white sections. Cleanup the green, then add the 'edging'. That's the plan.

Hints for doing bulk units:

1) Pre-plan. I have a sprawling spreadsheet which lists the eras & units for the factions (the "grand plan", and which then lists the units with AS stats.
2) Once planned, put all the minis into a box, so they don't get sucked up into other projects.
3) Decide on your scheme. I do avoid the complex & intricate, and pick 'dos which complement my range of techniques.
3a) The technique - ink wash, teak varnish, drybrush, etc - affects the colours used. If you want tans, then base in sand colours, if you're using varnish or wash, etc.
4) Make sure you have enough of the paints required. Nothing sucks more than colour matching, particularly if the original paint is no longer available (curse you, Citadel!)
5) Have a couple of big flat areas -  working area, and parking area.
6) Work methodically. Do the same stage to all your minis - eg. prime all the 'Mechs, base coat all your vehicles, etc.
6a) Multi-task. You can glue 'Mechs to bases, or mod minis, while letting base coats dry on your vehicles.
7) Bless acrylics ;)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2017, 18:56:19 »
Nice work again there WT!  8) 8)  Were you using the teak varnish you were telling me about with these?
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2017, 19:13:13 »
Yep! Brushed on, not dunked. Better control/coverage. Just have a big spare brush on hand to deal with any pooling of excess coverage.