Author Topic: Weekend Classics - Flea, Marauder, and Shadow Hawk  (Read 2596 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Weekend Classics - Flea, Marauder, and Shadow Hawk
« on: 13 October 2017, 20:51:25 »
So it's good varnishing weather in my part of Down Under! So I can take pics of these:

So these are my first Classics, and I'm using them as part of a nearly-finished battalion for the 2nd Regulan Hussars.

First thoughts - they're very nice minis (well done, gents!) The Flea and ShadowHawk are of course stock, and I really like the approach taken with one piece "base"/foot/leg/waist. Easy to assemble, capable of being posed in a variety of positions. The ShadowHawk I chose to do running 'around a corner', the Flea more generically sprinting.

The Marauder ... this is the 7R/9D from GenCon, strapped to a caber & tossed in the general direction of the Antipodes. I chose to ... "accurise" it. To me, the whole thing about Marauders is "arms in front". So I did. It's a lovely mini, tons of details; I'll make the 9W2 I got at the same time more 'stock stock', but I'm really happy with both the mini, and the result of my hacks.

Note - they are a bit large. The Flea does dwarf the Unseen Locust in it's lance, but it's OK, there are worse. Just a note for potential purchasers - really, the extra mass and details make this Marauder the one to buy out of the Reseen options. Thoroughly recommended.

More to follow in a few days when varnish is all dry, but comments more than welcome!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Weekend Classics - Flea, Marauder, and Shadow Hawk
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 00:28:09 »
Nice work WT!  They are looking sharp.  Can't wait to see the whole battalion  8)

Speaking of which, is it all Mechs or your usual combined arms?

There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 06:43:16 »
 O0

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 09:06:30 »
Fantastic work there!
I think I really need a Flea.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2017, 16:18:53 »
Yes, full combined arms in progress. It's my thing ;)

And a quick testimonial to the power of off-brand magic dip!

Okay, not the same vee, but the difference in finish is just a coat of teak coloured stain in a polyurethane base. (I call it teak varnish, but apparently there is special varnish used only on teak wood, which is expensive. No, I'm talking a 250ml pot of cheap-ass stain. )

All the panel lining & edge highlighting comes from surface tension pulling the brushed-on varnish around. It also protects the paintjob really well. All you need is a matt spray, and voila!

But allowing for the effect of the stain is important. I wanted a light brown more than a tan, so I went with a yellowish "sand" paint - almost mustard. If I wanted a lighter colour, I'd have based with light sand, or even white.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2017, 20:06:47 »
They all look great Worktroll! Yeah, I need to get a Marauder or two...

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 03:34:26 »
Sweet!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2017, 18:43:36 »
They look mighty fine Mr Worktroll  O0
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2017, 13:00:03 »
i am also a huge fan of wood varnish. stateside, I use minwax. the small pots are about $5 at the hardware store

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?