Author Topic: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype  (Read 168125 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype
« Reply #870 on: 07 December 2017, 08:05:43 »
I wonder why his character became so obsessed with being like his father.  It could been manipulation by First Order's leader?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #871 on: 07 December 2017, 08:35:18 »
I wonder why his character became so obsessed with being like his father.  It could been manipulation by First Order's leader?
The Force Awaken novelization gives a little more detail. Snoke has been manipulating him since birth. Leia sent him away to Luke as she thought he could be saved by him and his training.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #872 on: 07 December 2017, 08:51:08 »
yesh.  Snoke was messing with him since BIRTH.  Lord, what a creep.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #873 on: 07 December 2017, 09:26:49 »
yesh.  Snoke was messing with him since BIRTH.  Lord, what a creep.
It's cyclic. Darth Sidious did the same thing in the Prequels, he just happens to start a bit late compared to Snoke.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #874 on: 07 December 2017, 14:19:51 »
From what we know (or can surmise) Sideous CREATED anakin..  Did Snork do it to Kylo?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #875 on: 07 December 2017, 14:41:13 »
From what we know (or can surmise) Sideous CREATED anakin..  Did Snork do it to Kylo?
Er don't you mean the theory that Darth Plagius, Sideous's former master, may have a hand in creating Anakin?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #876 on: 07 December 2017, 14:44:39 »
I try not to think about that theory as much as I can.

Or midichlorians.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #877 on: 09 December 2017, 19:45:41 »
My sister introduced me to an interesting theory about Kylo killing daddy Solo: Kylo was ready to hand his light saber to his father and give up what he was doing, but dad pushed it back at him. Hard to see in the scene, but it has the room for possibility. If that's the case, it makes me wonder why Han felt it was necessary.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #878 on: 09 December 2017, 20:02:51 »
My sister introduced me to an interesting theory about Kylo killing daddy Solo: Kylo was ready to hand his light saber to his father and give up what he was doing, but dad pushed it back at him. Hard to see in the scene, but it has the room for possibility. If that's the case, it makes me wonder why Han felt it was necessary.

Well I don't know what the writers would say, but for a OOC reason...from what I've heard, killing Solo was Harrison Ford's requirement to be in the movie (it's no secret that he's never been a fan of the character).

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #879 on: 09 December 2017, 21:16:19 »

That makes no sense.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #880 on: 09 December 2017, 21:33:41 »
pretty sure that fan theory has been shot down by everyone involved with the actual film.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #881 on: 09 December 2017, 23:06:53 »
I do think Ren had a moment of hesitation, doubt.  He thought about actually handing it over.

But in the end his cult indoctrination won out.  But he didn't feel better for it.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #882 on: 10 December 2017, 00:34:26 »
I do think Ren had a moment of hesitation, doubt.  He thought about actually handing it over.

But in the end his cult indoctrination won out.  But he didn't feel better for it.

Agreed.  Just like he seems to have a "Moment of doubt" in the previews for TLJ about shooting the bridge of that ship where his mom is..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #883 on: 10 December 2017, 07:14:52 »
Here's a slightly meta question: are fan theories like that worth any consideration at all? or should they be about as cogent to discussion as Veers-Piett slash fanfiction?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #884 on: 10 December 2017, 10:57:34 »
I think they're on the level of trying to claim that Episode One was a good movie based on a fanfic you read where the battle between Obi-Wan and Maul took up half the story and Obi-Wan turned to the Dark Side to beat him by deliberately pulling a ship out of orbit with the Force and crashing it into Maul.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #885 on: 10 December 2017, 13:47:11 »
are fan theories like that worth any consideration at all?

Fan theories are never worth it.

Most of them are based on nothing more than one fan's overactive and, frankly, kinda insane imagination and prove more than anything else why most fans would make shitty writers.

For the few that aren't completely nuts, they serve only to provide a context for the inevitable bitching that the fans will do once whatever the theory is based upon comes to fruition. Said bitching will take one of two forms:

1) If the theory is proven correct, then fans will bitch that they figured it out long before so therefore the show is lame and unoriginal and totally sucks.

2) If the theory is proven incorrect, then fans will bitch that the actual resolution is much more terrible than the awesome and super-cool fan theory and therefore the show is lame and unoriginal and totally sucks.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #886 on: 10 December 2017, 13:58:36 »
AUTHOR FIAT!!!!!!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #887 on: 10 December 2017, 14:01:38 »
Here's a slightly meta question: are fan theories like that worth any consideration at all? or should they be about as cogent to discussion as Veers-Piett slash fanfiction?
Depends on the theory. 'Rogue group never had another rogue one' generally is a good one for example, since it ties R1 and ESB together in a delightful way and is something that is pretty plausible. "The old guy on the Endor team was clone captain Rex" is another good one (and with Filoni having posted stuff in relation to it, might end up canon)
But ones about a characters hidden motivations, or trying to explain 'what really happened' in a fairly strait forward scene, need to be taken worth a huge grain of salt because they rely heavily on personal opinion and usually require major changes to other established setting info.
They can be fun to discuss, but don't take them too seriously, because you can bet the writers aren't.
I mean, as much as I enjoy the "korkie kryze is actually Obiwan and Satine's kid" fan theory, I highly doubt we'll get it

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #888 on: 10 December 2017, 14:54:43 »

Couple other theories:
1) Han pressed the button so Kylo wouldn't have the guilt of killing his own father.  This keeps Kylo from going all the way on the Sith path.

2) (Sorry about the watermark) - https://i.imgur.com/jb5OodA.jpg

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #889 on: 11 December 2017, 00:01:42 »
Depends on the theory. 'Rogue group never had another rogue one' generally is a good one for example, since it ties R1 and ESB together in a delightful way and is something that is pretty plausible. "The old guy on the Endor team was clone captain Rex" is another good one (and with Filoni having posted stuff in relation to it, might end up canon)
But ones about a characters hidden motivations, or trying to explain 'what really happened' in a fairly strait forward scene, need to be taken worth a huge grain of salt because they rely heavily on personal opinion and usually require major changes to other established setting info.
They can be fun to discuss, but don't take them too seriously, because you can bet the writers aren't.
I mean, as much as I enjoy the "korkie kryze is actually Obiwan and Satine's kid" fan theory, I highly doubt we'll get it

The problem is that many people aren't going to go digging to find out more and will only take what the films give them. I haven't read the novelization, so I have no idea beyond what I've seen of the movies.

As for favorite fan theories, some of mine:

- Jar Jar Binks is a secret Dark Side apprentice.
- Han Solo is a force user
- The TIE Fighter doesn't use the ion engines for momentum, but merely to convert the solar energy into powering the gravity/anti-gravity generators which really do the propulsion work.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #890 on: 11 December 2017, 02:47:34 »
Couple other theories:
1) Han pressed the button so Kylo wouldn't have the guilt of killing his own father.  This keeps Kylo from going all the way on the Sith path.

Why would he worry if his son had guilt or not?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #891 on: 11 December 2017, 08:50:51 »
As for favorite fan theories, some of mine:
- Han Solo is a force user
He doesn't have to be a user. The Force is in all living things. It probably was helping him out rather than him manipulating it  ;D

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #892 on: 11 December 2017, 09:05:04 »
He doesn't have to be a user. The Force is in all living things. It probably was helping him out rather than him manipulating it  ;D
"That's not how the Force works!"

Admit it, you were baiting that :D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #893 on: 11 December 2017, 13:07:09 »
Why would he worry if his son had guilt or not?

Especially that guilt.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #894 on: 11 December 2017, 16:35:33 »
- The TIE Fighter doesn't use the ion engines for momentum, but merely to convert the solar energy into powering the gravity/anti-gravity generators which really do the propulsion work.
No, no, no.

Inertialess drives! Good old Doc Smith-style. Works pretty much exactly like ships do in Star Wars. And ion engines even kind of makes sense for thrust!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #895 on: 11 December 2017, 22:20:53 »
And remember guys and gals

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #896 on: 12 December 2017, 01:12:48 »
Bah humbug!

If you don't want spoilers on the movie disconnect from anything online until you see the movie.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #897 on: 12 December 2017, 06:51:05 »
That may be the only way.  Back in 2015, I looked at the comments on facebook for a story on the election and right thete some posted a gif of the scene saying "HAN SOLO DIES!". 

Trolls will find a way to spoil you
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #898 on: 12 December 2017, 07:09:49 »
I'm going have stay away from the thread when the 15th comes around, i won't be able see the movie for at least week since i want see it with friends and family.  You got get reservations to just SEE movie and have seats to sit next to people you know in advance.  Crazy.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #899 on: 12 December 2017, 07:39:32 »
I'm going have stay away from the thread when the 15th comes around, i won't be able see the movie for at least week since i want see it with friends and family.  You got get reservations to just SEE movie and have seats to sit next to people you know in advance.  Crazy.
You will need to stay away starting the 13th as the movie opens up in Britain on Wednesday.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner