Author Topic: Justice League Movie - Spoilers  (Read 3545 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Justice League Movie - Spoilers
« on: 16 November 2017, 17:51:15 »
Actually, I just put the spoilers in the title in case people want to discuss actual events in the movie.

I haven't seen it yet, but when hopping online, the first thing put in front of me was this article:

'Justice League' Is a Failure Across the Board

And, being somewhat curious about the third chapter in the Man of Steel franchise series, I read.  I was left with some questions, as I'm not overly judgemental about movies. Some of my more critical, taste-specific friends have told me I'm not the best source when determining if a movie is good or bad, because I seek to be entertained and am usually so, by practice of lowering my expectations.

Is the movie actually out yet? Has anyone else seen it yet if it is? Does this article reflect your viewing experience?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Luciora

• Major
Re: Justice League Movie - Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2017, 17:58:33 »
I'm not seeing it til Sunday, but reactions I'm seeing online are tepid at best.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2017, 22:56:52 »
When one reviewer said "Its not as bad as BvS" but later said "if BvS is a bucket of scalding hot gorilla urine, then JL is the same thing but its now cooled down so its just warm instead.  So its still nasty and not something you'd not want to go near but it won't physically hurt you."  He said basically it was at best 'ehhh..' and was very tepid.

And i've heard similar things across the board from other reviewers and sites.  That its at its very best, a bit poo.  Not BvS bad, but certinally not good either.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2017, 00:11:34 »
Wow..  I wonder who peed in his wheeties to be THAT grumpy..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2017, 01:23:02 »
Grodd, most likely.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2017, 19:50:03 »
I rather enjoyed it...and it seemed most, if not everyone in the theater at the time I saw it did as well...good balance of action and comedy...they did Cyborg well, and seemed to set up things to explain why they may be replacing Afleck with someone else as Batman...

Just be sure to sit through all the credits for both the mid-credits scene (fun) and after-credits scene (great set up for next movie, and introduces one of my favorite characters to the DC movie universe in his full outfit...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2017, 19:59:33 »
Given that Justice League is supposedly flopping, rumor is that DC might not bother trying to continue the DCEU.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2017, 00:05:32 »
and seemed to set up things to explain why they may be replacing Afleck with someone else as Batman...

And if they do continue it, who will they replace him with??

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2017, 01:35:32 »
Jason Todd? (too soon)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2017, 09:11:31 »
And if they do continue it, who will they replace him with??

They state in the movie (don't remember if it was said in BvS) that Batman has been fighting crime in Gotham for 20 years...even if he started at 20, that would put him around 40 or so (likely older) in Justice League...how many football players or boxers have careers that long? A purely human body cannot usually take that kind of punishment...and they actually hint at that in the movie several times...

As to who to replace him with...even though they haven't shown him yet, I would imagine that the world has its own Nightwing or Robin that would step in and fill his shoes...or could even go the Terry McGinnis route...

Or just the pre-Batman Beyond route with Bruce...they had a Bat-Spider (for lack of a better term) in this movie in addition to an impressively armed Batmobile, showing that he was into robotics and the like...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2017, 09:37:00 »
I believe there is a rumor talking about the Flash movie being titled Flashpoint made at Comic-Con and recently Wonder Woman and Batman might be tied to it.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2017, 17:05:34 by Luciora »

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2017, 14:42:15 »
Saw it and enjoyed it though Thor was much better.  Also, Grant Gustin is a much better Flash.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2017, 15:32:44 »
Also, Grant Gustin is a much better Flash.

Without a doubt...

Ruger

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2017, 17:27:28 »
Ive come to believe that its utterlyu useless to look at crtics or allegedly 'top' critics (in nerd culture) when it comes to superhero movies. You couldnt get objectivity at gunpoint.

Justice League is a  good, abover average, entertaining superhero movie. If this and Wonder Woman is not enough to continue the DCEU, I don't know what could be.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2017, 17:39:52 »
They state in the movie (don't remember if it was said in BvS) that Batman has been fighting crime in Gotham for 20 years...even if he started at 20, that would put him around 40 or so (likely older) in Justice League...how many football players or boxers have careers that long? A purely human body cannot usually take that kind of punishment...and they actually hint at that in the movie several times...

As to who to replace him with...even though they haven't shown him yet, I would imagine that the world has its own Nightwing or Robin that would step in and fill his shoes...or could even go the Terry McGinnis route...

Maybe this is why he needs to get a wife and kid(s)..  So he has a ready made replacement!!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2017, 21:07:53 »
Just saw it.  I really think this is the movie that DC should have pushed to start.  They really need to stop green screening everything though. 

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2017, 22:05:10 »
*nod*

Not high art but the movie is good unless you just want to hate on WB/DC.  Which I think is part of the problem.  People are holding too many grudges from previous movies and even doing it on purpose.  Heck I even found the extended cut of BvS better than most people made it out to be.

Worth a watch IMO.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2017, 11:27:30 »
Does the extended cut answer any unanswered questions from the theatrical version? For example, does it make the transition from Luthor to Zod becoming Doomsday a little more seemless? I was completely caught off guard by that sudden transition.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2017, 11:47:21 »
The extended cut does help with certain elements to make for a slightly better movie.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 23 November 2017, 11:38:04 »
Well, this is all good to hear, on both counts. My sister wants to take me to see JL this weekend.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #20 on: 23 November 2017, 11:42:45 »
Is it another movie where they have to learn to work as a team to stop a blue space laser from doing something to Earth? I think I've already seen that movie. Pass.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 23 November 2017, 11:43:57 »
Well, Power Rangers was a take on another Teen Team movie.

I still enjoyed it.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2017, 00:09:26 »
Not going to lie. I enjoyed it more then I have enjoyed any MCU movie in the last two years. It wasn't that bad (not that good, but...) and certainly better then I expected (low expectations, etc). Gail Gadot's Wonder Woman continues to be utterly amazing, and Amy Adams' Lois Lane is fantastic even if she's not in it that much (And boy, is that a lot of alliteration). The only real low point for me was Flash's painful Weedon-flavoured quipping and attempts at funny.

I want it to succeed, I really do. I actually prefer the DC characters over the Marvel ones in general, and I would at least like there to be a second option when it comes to getting superhero movies. And, being frank, I am bored poopless of the MCU.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2017, 01:34:06 »
Very meh movie. Not as bad as some critics say it is, but it ain't good either. Very predictable plot (of course Superman was coming back- it was obvious from the get go) and one really lame villain (I kept hearing Magic Carpet Ride in my head every time the name Steppenwolf was mentioned). Of all the villains in the DC universe, why him?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2017, 18:28:31 »
Well, I did see it, and while I enjoyed it - looking forward to seeing singles of each of the other characters, including a proper Superman film - I'm not too keen on the hint of a future League of Supervillains film so soon out of the gate.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2017, 11:49:44 »
My problem watching it was my mind was trying to dissect between Snyder's scenes and Whedon's scenes, only one of which I could place as Whedon.

I think Affleck/Batman is a great counterpoint to the super of Wonder Woman & Aquaman- the bruises and damage from pushing WW about hiding away.

It was pretty neat to see the Lanterns in the opening battle.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2017, 15:23:34 »
It was pretty neat to see the Lanterns in the opening battle.

So is that a hint we might get a NEW green lantern film soon??

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2017, 16:04:02 »
From all the 'future of the DC Cinematic Universe' youtube shows I've found, not likely soon. Maybe in a few years. Looks like they aren't pushing too hard for more than one film a year. Not yet.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 09 December 2017, 19:40:27 »
Found a copy of Batman VS Superman - Dawn of Justice Special edition blu-ray at the Library.

Seeing it again after Justice League, a lot more makes sense. And, the extended special edition made the film much more cohesive as a story. The last part about Doomsday actually made sense. It wasn't Zod revived, which is what I initially took from the first time through. It was a new creation.

And, the promoed the big bad of Justice League near the end. I had forgotten about that, because I'm not very well versed about DC villains. I was thinking at the time 'that's a funny looking Apocalypse', and basically blanked it from my mind.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 10 December 2017, 15:22:25 »
Watched it, enjoyed it.

There was a good quote by Affleck/Batman about Superman.  In BvsS, he wondered if Superman could even relate to people.

In Justice League, Batman said, "In spite of his power, he got a job, had friends, even someone who loved him.  He's more human than I am"