Author Topic: Youtube MWO Animation Series  (Read 3642 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Youtube MWO Animation Series
« on: 03 December 2017, 11:31:21 »
Sarna reported that a youtube series for Mechwarrior is being made.  Apparently the are made by Black Plasma Studios who makes a Minecraft series as well.

The have a teaser video for the series, but its not clear if the Mechs are the characters or there actual pilots or not.

Looks good so far animation wise.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Luciora

• Major
Re: Youtube MWO Animation Series
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2017, 12:22:02 »
Looks like they will probably be doing original stories/skits using meta builds from what the trailer implies. 

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2017, 13:01:14 »
Normally I'd cut such a video a lot of slack, but they've stripped so much away from the graphics that it just looks awful. There's no weight to the 'Mechs either, and I was especially nonplussed by anime Centurion.

I'm giving this a pass.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2017, 17:41:47 »
I was going to disagree, on the basis that I don't mind the simple colors and surfaces, but then I noticed the missile fire. It is, uh, somewhat lacking.

The "anime Centurion" just shows they're exploring how much they can do in the game engine. If the dialogue and plot are alright in the first episode, I may give the rest a shot.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2017, 18:10:53 »
It's also incomplete, maybe this is early render work they'll improve upon?  Wouldn't be the first time, even for a major cinematic production, to show early effects that get fixed up later.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2017, 18:37:29 »
It's also incomplete, maybe this is early render work they'll improve upon?  Wouldn't be the first time, even for a major cinematic production, to show early effects that get fixed up later.

Of course. They even say that "its an early concept..." in the beginning. No explosions and/or damage shown so...

I want to know more...  ;D
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2017, 18:45:55 »
Look like they're including the physical attack aspect of the 'Mech Combat. great!
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2017, 14:35:41 »
So, my question is, will meta builds be merely the stars of the show, where they get to fight stock mooks? Or are they going with all-meta-all-the-time?

While I'm also interested in animated MechWarrior/BT, I'm still enough of a purist to want a reasonable representation of the Inner Sphere and Clans and other factions that really make BT what it is.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2017, 20:13:40 »
As long as the Mechs aren't talking like they were living robots vs piloted machines. I would feel better, given they were known for comedy with minecraft.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2017, 23:10:01 »
I'd rather see Rooster Teeth studios do it in the same vein as Red vs Blue. 

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2017, 23:02:38 »
I could get behind that.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2017, 21:52:55 »
Crash and burn, the video was deleted.  I think HG may have gotten to them too.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2017, 21:53:55 »
Wait. What? There were no unseen in there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2017, 22:09:44 »
Wait. What? There were no unseen in there.
At first i didn't think there were any.  However, there a Redesign Marauder in the surviving picture on post on Sarna.  I hope not, but there no sign of it on the animator's website.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2017, 22:24:30 »
Or they just decided to not do it. Harmony Gold isn't behind everything.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2017, 22:51:35 »
Crash and burn, the video was deleted.  I think HG may have gotten to them too.

Uhh, I just watched it, the video is still on YouTube, on the studios channel.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2017, 22:56:04 »
Uhh, I just watched it, the video is still on YouTube, on the studios channel.
Weird, the linked died. I wasn't able find the video on the developer's site.  Thanks for finding it again.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2017, 23:06:46 »
Weird, the linked died. I wasn't able find the video on the developer's site.  Thanks for finding it again.

I just typed black plasma studios mechwarrior into the search bar and it worked.

I'm going to be honest here, it looks pitiful, even discounting the lack of explosions and damage. How well they'll do in the finished product is anyone's guess, but I'm not hopeful.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2018, 20:02:03 »
,Crash and burn! The full story about how TOPPS crushed the Youtube animated series was posted on Sarna.net.

I am disappointed, apparently PGI was able to get the footage (recreated) into a MWO advertising video, but TOPPS for some mysterious reason refuses the animated series to be made.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2018, 20:08:59 »
That's interesting.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2018, 20:16:53 »
I would imagine any thoughts of a animated series would need to wait until the HG trolling is well and done to BT's favor.
Then it would need to see who, if anyone, has any current possible rights holdings as well. I'd guess that is something TOPPS may not of really looked into. So I would imagine it's a better safe than sorry at this time.

But I'm just guessing...

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2018, 20:37:17 »
,Crash and burn! The full story about how TOPPS crushed the Youtube animated series was posted on Sarna.net.

I am disappointed, apparently PGI was able to get the footage (recreated) into a MWO advertising video, but TOPPS for some mysterious reason refuses the animated series to be made.

Huh, I wonder if it might possible be a rights issue? Like maybe Topps doesn't own the rights to a animated/TV style series and maybe they're trying to get out in front of any trouble that could come of it? Otherwise I can't think of any other reason...
(Having a fractured IP really sucks...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2018, 20:59:44 »
There is, however, a tiny silver lining: RoA Nitrox was able to finangle the original teaser video after into an advertisement for MechWarrior Online. It largely resembles the original video, but with some advertising for the game thrown in and making it very clear that Topps owns the rights to BattleTech.
Oh god I'm cracking up, talk about real life paralleling fiction.  Anyone remember Shattered Sphere, where VSD is chewing out Peter Davion after he led a lance into an ambush that burned down a town?  Steiner agents tried to smuggle the video of the event off planet, but Comstar intercepted it...and VSD had them put logos and music and whatnot over the footage to make it into a movie trailer.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #23 on: 05 January 2018, 21:00:57 »
Holy Crap....
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2018, 08:42:20 »
I would imagine any thoughts of a animated series would need to wait until the HG trolling is well and done to BT's favor.
Then it would need to see who, if anyone, has any current possible rights holdings as well. I'd guess that is something TOPPS may not of really looked into. So I would imagine it's a better safe than sorry at this time.

But I'm just guessing...

It would make a hell of a lot more sense if the rights were unlicensed at the moment.

If Topps is waiting for the success of MW5/Battletech to potentially make a movie rights deal sweeter, they need to be seen to be protecting the IP. Letting a YouTube animated series get out there gratis would undermine this quite substantially, especially if someone like Netflix was eyeing the rights to make a seasonal tv show.

For those upset about this, don't be! While some animators are extremely gifted, you really need the story line and plot to carry a series, two things that YouTube animators frequently fail at.