Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Pulverizer PUL-2V  (Read 27237 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Pulverizer PUL-2V
« Reply #30 on: 08 December 2014, 12:16:05 »
  As Stormlion1 mentioned, as soon as people made connections between the Minnesota Tribe and the fate of the Wolverines, they started wondering why no-one had heard anything from them ever again — especially in light of the Clan Invasion and the grudge the Tribe/Wolverines presumably harboured against Kerensky’s Tank-born.  One of the FASA developers (I’ve never nailed down exactly who said it when or where) joked that the Wolverines never (again) became a factor in the Inner Sphere’s affairs because they were too busy defending the Inner Sphere from an Invading Alien Horde.  (The corollary being that one reason sapient aliens never appeared in BattleTech was because the Wolverines were giving them all the fight they could handle.)

Better explanation than they joined the WoB in my opinion.  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 09 December 2014, 01:31:34 »
If they HAD joined the WOB, it would beg the question of why doesn't the WOB have Enhanced ERPPC's?

Although I do wish some IS faction would have gone that path...... I have a Pulverizer, and I would absolutely love to field it on a battlefield, and not be totally limited to one specific faction or time era.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #32 on: 09 December 2014, 13:48:13 »
EDIT: Deleted for inaccuracy.

Now, the reason why the Wobbies don't use the Enhanced ER PPC can be linked to many things. For one, I doubt it was as easy to mass-produce. For another, maybe there was no connection between the Not-Named and the Wobbies; It keeps things dubious.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2014, 13:49:48 by Caedis_Animus »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #33 on: 09 December 2014, 14:51:26 »
it is also possible that the people who knew the trick to making the iPPC didn't make it out of the homeworlds or died enroute to the IS. i don't think the Wolverines had many of their new designs when they fled.. the Minnesota tribe is described as using SLDF gear (or something very similar to it), and IIRC the trial of annihilation kicked off over a bran cache of SLDF gear.

and even if some did make it to the IS, odds are that in the years between then and the comguard being unveiled, the tech may have been filed away and forgotten.. remember the public comguard didn't even really get allowed access to much of star league level tech until the clans hit.. and by then i suspect that it was too late to dig out iPPC plans and redevelop them.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2014, 14:54:03 by glitterboy2098 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #34 on: 09 December 2014, 14:55:56 »
meh.... I am sticking to my split theory.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #35 on: 09 December 2014, 23:18:18 »
If they HAD joined the WOB, it would beg the question of why doesn't the WOB have Enhanced ERPPC's?

Although I do wish some IS faction would have gone that path...... I have a Pulverizer, and I would absolutely love to field it on a battlefield, and not be totally limited to one specific faction or time era.

Nahuris

The Empires Aflame setting gives you that possibility  ;)  Make it so that Rim Federation scientists have managed to come up with the eERPPC, and suddenly the Terran Supremacy (and the Lyrans) will be VERY interested in acquiring a sample for themselves...

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 10 December 2014, 05:30:46 »
Of course, the WoB might have decided to attempt to go right past the enhanced ERPPC and straight to trying to produce the Clan ERPPC, since we know they were working on producing other Clantech.

This is of course assuming that there's an actual WoB/Wolverine connection that allowed them to know about the Enhanced ERPPC.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 10 December 2014, 09:48:32 »
I guess We'll never know.  Unless future product put glimmer of light on the subject with signs of a Pulverizer liggering around.
Interstellar Expedition book (ISP3) had short story of ill-fated expedition discovering what they suspected be remains of the "Minnesota Tribe" with Clan Wolverine symbols on it.  A picture from the book shows a Pulverizer.

Unfortunately its fuzzy if the story is canon (not vague or not) rumor that no one found out about or just optional adventure of WoB exterminating IE group by WoB hold outs with their lovely Thera Class WarShip.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 11 December 2014, 12:43:35 »
Quick look at the RAT in otp widowmaker Pulverizer is listed  in the other clans table as matter of fact all three Wolverine mechs so more options to play if  you  do early clan battles.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2014, 14:22:28 by mrbooth »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 11 December 2014, 13:39:12 »
Quick look at the RAT in otp widoemaker Pulverizer  listed  in the other clans table as matter of fact all three Wolverine mechs so more options to pllay if  you  do early clan battles.
Would that means that the Clans managed to capture the manufacturing equipment for those Mechs? Or would have been possible for the Clans to reverse engineer the designs from salvage? Or are all those Mechs on the table just salvage from the annihilation?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #40 on: 11 December 2014, 13:57:42 »

Nahuris

Jeremy and heath are moving back in the summer. They challenged me to a 10K bv 2 game. Is tech only... I haven't told them yet but I'm using a wolverine force of 1 pulverizer, 2 stags and 2 mercury II's. Want in?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 11 December 2014, 14:28:49 »
Would that means that the Clans managed to capture the manufacturing equipment for those Mechs? Or would have been possible for the Clans to reverse engineer the designs from salvage? Or are all those Mechs on the table just salvage from the annihilation?

I would say they have to be building them. It has been a while since I read the stories but my impression is that they where still rare in the Wolverine ranks at the time of the annihilation. So either capture the production lines or reversed engineered them. 

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 11 December 2014, 14:31:43 »
Jeremy and heath are moving back in the summer. They challenged me to a 10K bv 2 game. Is tech only... I haven't told them yet but I'm using a wolverine force of 1 pulverizer, 2 stags and 2 mercury II's. Want in?

I own a Pulverizer and a Mercury II --- sure

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #43 on: 11 December 2014, 15:02:34 »
Cool. Gotta pick up some stags
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 12 December 2014, 19:34:35 »
I would say they have to be building them. It has been a while since I read the stories but my impression is that they where still rare in the Wolverine ranks at the time of the annihilation. So either capture the production lines or reversed engineered them. 

Its noted as the Snow Ravens were producing them after the Annihilation. I honestly bet they were used in second line formations for the longest time and were either traded away to other Clans or scrapped by the Clan Invasion era though. Bet the production line was switched over soon as the Omnimech became the design of choice as well.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 12 December 2014, 20:54:42 »
Its noted as the Snow Ravens were producing them after the Annihilation. I honestly bet they were used in second line formations for the longest time and were either traded away to other Clans or scrapped by the Clan Invasion era though. Bet the production line was switched over soon as the Omnimech became the design of choice as well.
I have been rereading Betrayal of Ideals and I am getting the sense that the Clans have rapidly reverse engineered them:
- The factory equipment was placed on one of the Warships.
- The Wolverines Warships fought to the death or seemed to escape. Any wrecks weren't carefully inspected or seem to have been quickly send down the gravity well.
- The Clans made a really big deal of salvaging the BattleMechs on Barbados.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 14 December 2014, 04:03:22 »

Not only that, but I got the sense they made sure to make several backups of the technical specifications.

I honestly bet they were used in second line formations for the longest time and were either traded away to other Clans or scrapped by the Clan Invasion era though. Bet the production line was switched over soon as the Omnimech became the design of choice as well.
That would depend on how soon they were able to get an alternative design they could use. The Snow Ravens weren't exactly military powerhouses outside of their extensive aerospace assets. The Clans of the time were a bit more pragmatic. A bit short on originality as well, but I digress.
The Ravens were likely awarded the salvage as consolation for accidentally nuking their own city. And as far as how they used them, I doubt the Ravens would let such a solid design languish in second line roles when it had proven itself repeatedly in the runup to the Annihilation.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 15 December 2014, 12:15:02 »
I have been rereading Betrayal of Ideals and I am getting the sense that the Clans have rapidly reverse engineered them:
- The Wolverines Warships fought to the death or seemed to escape. Any wrecks weren't carefully inspected or seem to have been quickly send down the gravity well.
- The Clans made a really big deal of salvaging the BattleMechs on Barbados.

Well the salvage was important for multiple reasons. The entire blow up with the Wolverines started because of the uncovering of a Brian Cache of Mechs (which honestly everyone needed to build up there forces) and equipment and no Clan had even started building new designs or even mechs except the Wolverines. They were all still using old SLDF gear up until that point. The other clans needed the Wolverine mechs and equipment to rebuild and to get a leg up on new development they had all started recently but were behind on. The Wolverines were pushing ahead in many fields and the rest stayed stagnant. So the Wolverines started the arms race, and were the first to fall in the Arms Race.

I have two Pulverizers in my collection, one in a Tan/Black scheme I use for my Wolverine Star and one painted up in SLDF Colors. I plan to strip the OD Green one when I someone comes out with a Rim Federation paint scheme. I kind of doubt they continued to use Amaris colors myself.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 18 November 2017, 10:45:16 »
Didn't the Coyotes get the Mercury II?  The tech they learned from the Mercury II was a big factor in the development of the Omnimech, in fact I don't think there would have been an Omnimech had the Coyotes not gotten their hands on the Mercury II.

So many story line angles to go with this! I will be placing a pulverizer in my spirit blood guard keshik. Acquired in just that fashion.

I would like to see a spirit version of this but not sure what the sprits would do to upgrade the design...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 18 November 2017, 12:13:03 »
Eventually update the Gtbuster to an ER PPC and the rest of the tech to Clan. Blood Spirits though might just slap a couple more ER Large Lasers and LRM's on it

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 18 November 2017, 17:24:40 »
I am hoping that more variants of this cool design will make it into the golden century TRO

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 18 November 2017, 18:03:27 »
The problem being it is a Wolverine design: I highly doubt the other Clans would use a lot of them, and even those that do use them would quickly try and phase them out. I doubt they would put any effort into designing variants. IMO they would try and make a IC version ASAP...

But I hope I'm wrong cause I love the damn thing: bought a model and everything

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 18 November 2017, 19:32:52 »
Considering that the wolverine mech was rebranded I hope that would be the case for the pulverizer.

Per sarna: ECM fell out favor in the culture of dueling that arose with the clans so what would be a good swap? MASC or more heat sinks? Bump up the size of the missle rack?

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #53 on: 18 November 2017, 22:00:34 »
Considering that the wolverine mech was rebranded I hope that would be the case for the pulverizer.

Per sarna: ECM fell out favor in the culture of dueling that arose with the clans so what would be a good swap? MASC or more heat sinks? Bump up the size of the missle rack?

I'd say MASC and bump up the rack, if possible.  If  Golden Century designs use clan tech, then heat sinks, lots of heat sinks.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 18 November 2017, 22:25:07 »
easiest swap would be to pull the ECM for an active probe.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 26 November 2017, 21:27:27 »
would like to see the 100 ton Pulverizer II in fan fic.... I like the idea of them fighting cylons.   ;)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2017, 23:20:50 »
If the weapons were all upgraded to invasion era tech would more heat sinks be needed?

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #57 on: 28 November 2017, 01:04:01 »
If the weapons were all upgraded to invasion era tech would more heat sinks be needed?

Yes, the large lasers would become ER larges, with a gain of 8 heat.  There also would be the temptation to double the size of the LRM rack.  You only get 3 tons back from the weight reduction of the lasers and the ER PPC.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 28 November 2017, 02:39:45 »
so don't double the LRm's, and sink that extra mass into a few additional DHS.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 28 November 2017, 06:42:26 »
I dig it. Getting crazier now for the spirits what about a targeting computer?

Register